The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Hireling returns and skill point investment.

Selminus
Selminus
✭✭✭✭
I noticed when I started making crafting alts that ones with no points in the main skills IE blacksmithing get less materials. When it comes to provisioning and enchanting is it similar and if so where do the points go in those? Do I need to invest in the quality to get quality mats or just the usable recipe/rune levels? Thanks in advance.
Edited by Selminus on May 22, 2020 4:10AM
  • SpiritofESO
    SpiritofESO
    ✭✭✭
    Simply put, the only Hireling I have is Provisioning and I get very important purple provisioning materials -- you will need these for high level recipes.

The other Hirelings I found less needed -- but I suppose I could be wrong. I think doing Writs -- all seven per day -- with reward you with a good amount of materials PLUS Legendary resources for crafting. These will be extremely important at end-game and Writs will supply you with what you need to improve gear to Gold level.

To sell gold mats you will need Alts doing Writs to receive more. You can purchase gold mats but they sell at a high premium so it is better to do Writs and receive them as rewards. ;-D
    • ~ PS NA ~ ALDMERI DOMINION ~
    • IVY GOLDBLADE, WOOD ELF NIGHTBLADE, Former Empress
    • IVY GOLDBLAZE, HIGH ELF TEMPLAR
    • "Adapt or Die"
  • SpiritofESO
    SpiritofESO
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps others can weigh in on the importance of Hirelings other than the Provisioning one.

My experience with Hirelings is not complete and others may have better information than I do.

:)
    • ~ PS NA ~ ALDMERI DOMINION ~
    • IVY GOLDBLADE, WOOD ELF NIGHTBLADE, Former Empress
    • IVY GOLDBLAZE, HIGH ELF TEMPLAR
    • "Adapt or Die"
  • Scion_of_Yggdrasil
    Scion_of_Yggdrasil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think part of that might be how loot is calculated. Unless I'm mistaken, loot is generated based off your player lvl AND the particular skill level. So at any given time, you have a chance to get mats of either of those levels. But the skill points invested don't have a part in that, I dont think... (although it may seem that way since you need to achieve a certain skill lvl to put points in).

So in other words, higher CP and higher skill lvl (1-50) increase your chances of getting higher lvl mats from all sources. Hirelings might be the exception to this though since the more points you invest in the hireling skill itself, the more mats and better quality mats you get regardless (I'd assume only amplifies the loot algorithm). I can confirm I get the most mats from the skills I have maxed (lvl 50, pus 10 skill points invested).

Part of why your alts might not be getting good mats might also be their "combat" lvl? Are they non-CP lvl since they are just for crafting?

I cant personally attest to the materials I receive just from hirelings (I don't pay much attention) but I do have all hirelings maxed out. Combined with all the dungeon loot I decon (about 1-2 dungeons a day) and daily writs rewards, I have about 200 CP150 mats (ingots, planks, etc.) at any given time. Enough mats for writs without having to go on mat runs (although I have been having issues with alchemy writs lately because of CORNFLOWER AND BLESSED THISTLE YOU FICKLE PLANTS).

Anywhoozies, hope that helps. You really got me thinking now...
  • ChimpyChumpy
    ChimpyChumpy
    ✭✭✭
    I do get legendary gold tempers or dreugh was from time to time on my hirelings, not very often though.

I have 18 characters about 10 have 3 hirelings in each craft and the rest have about 2. I also get a lot of purple mats from the hirelings. No idea why but mastic sells at a nice price on pc NA so that's pretty nice.

It is a lot of skill points though and I only really have 4 playable characters and to keep all those crafting skill points, learn traits and be playable you are going to need skill points in the high 200s especially if you don't want to keep reassigning them.
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If you have a master crafter, you should have the hirelings maxed out on that character. Its helpful. Besides, there are so many ways to get skill points in this game, "wasting" skill points really isn't a problem
  • Scion_of_Yggdrasil
    Scion_of_Yggdrasil
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you have a master crafter, you should have the hirelings maxed out on that character. Its helpful. Besides, there are so many ways to get skill points in this game, "wasting" skill points really isn't a problem

This. In fact, its only but motivated me to do more quests!