Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Templars PvP - Detailed Guide, Suggestions, Advice, etc. - Elsweyr

• RiskyChalice863
    RiskyChalice863
    ✭✭✭
    A few things to consider with the BRP DW thing:

1. Burning Light isn’t AOE, so it isn’t affected by major evasion. Since Burning Light is a large component of damage you get from Sweeps/Jabs, this actually means that Major Evasion is more like 20% damage mitigation to Sweeps/Jabs, as opposed to 25%. Still a lot of mitigation, but it’s a bit less than people realize.

2. Without Major Evasion, Sweeps/Jabs + Burning Light do way more damage than any other spammable in the game. Even with Major Evasion, you’d get a good bit more damage from Sweeps/Jabs + Burning Light than you would from Dizzying Swing (even taking into account Burning Light’s proc chance). And while Dizzying Swing has other benefits besides raw damage (more bursty in how it applies damage, and also has a potential stun, off balance, or snare), Sweeps/Jabs have additional benefits as well (AOE damage, snare, minor protection, and either self-healing or Major Savagery). It’s worth noting that, despite the prevalence of BRP DW, Stamplars still widely use Jabs. This is a reflection of the fact that Sweeps/Jabs are really good spammables, even despite Major Evasion.

3. While Major Evasion limits the damage of Templars’ burst combo more than it does for other classes, pretty much every class has its burst combo be significantly affected by Major Evasion. Necromancers get less damage off of Blastbones, Colossus, and the Grave Robber synergy. Wardens get less damage off of Shalks. DKs get less damage off of Leap. I believe Mag Sorcs get less damage off of Curse, the execute hit on Mage’s Fury, and Streak. For stamina classes that don’t have their own class-based burst ultimate, they get less damage from Onslaught and Dawnbreaker. And for Magicka classes, Meteor is affected. Nightblade burst is the only one that isn’t really affected much (though Major Evasion does limit the damage of a Soul Tether-based burst or a bomber), but they’ve also not really got any delayed burst, and so their damage can be mitigated just as much with a block or dodge roll.

Granted, some other classes do have a good bit of their burst combo unaffected by Major Evasion. Stamina classes have Dizzying Swing and Executioner unaffected. Molten Whip on a MagDK is unaffected. Same with Frags on a MagSorc, as well as whatever spammable a Magden pairs with Shalks. However, Templars’ burst isn’t 100% affected by Major Evasion either. Burning Light isn’t affected (and makes up about 25% of the damage on Jabs/Sweeps). And both Magplars and Stamplars have an execute that isn’t affected (Radiant or Executioner). Purifying Light also is only affected to whatever percent the underlying damage it is copying is affected (which is a good bit lower than 100%, since you can/will have Burning Light, single-target DoTs, and light attack + enchant damage being copied).

This is not a case of Templars having their burst reduced by 25% while everyone else doesn’t have their burst reduced. It’s more like a matter of Major Evasion being just a bit more effective against Templars than other classes. For example, think about Stamcro. Prior to execute (which isn’t affected by Major Evasion for Templars either), their burst combo consists of Blastbones + Dizzying Swing + an AOE ultimate. Major Evasion is going to affect 70-75% of that damage. And for reasons explained above, Major Evasion won’t affect 100% of a Templar’s damage either. So the difference is a matter of degree.

4. Major Protection is really strong, but it affects the burst of all classes equally.
    Edited by RiskyChalice863 on April 7, 2020 8:39PM
  • RiskyChalice863
    RiskyChalice863
    ✭✭✭
    To follow up on the above, another way to think about the major evasion thing is this:

A lot of classes have a burst combo that is made up of the following: (1) a delayed burst ability; (2) a spammable; (3) an ultimate; and (4) an execute.

Typically, the delayed burst and ultimate are mitigated by major evasion, while the spammable and execute are not.

For a Templar, the ultimates are going to be mitigated by major evasion. The delayed burst is going to be mostly, but not entirely, mitigated by major evasion (since a good portion of copied damage will actually not be AOE). The executes are not mitigated by major evasion. Up until this point, if anything, the Templar looks superior to a lot of other classes in terms of avoiding major evasion mitigation. Of course, the difference is that their spammable is mostly mitigated by major evasion too. However, their spammable does so much damage that even if it is mitigated by major evasion, it’s going to do as much or more damage than the spammable that other classes are using (one exception being Frags, but I believe MagSorcs have their execute mitigated by major evasion, so that’s a trade off), so it’s hard to really say Templars are left in bad shape overall.

To put names to this, let’s compare a Stamcro and Stamplar:

The Stamcro burst is made up of: (1) Blastbones; (2) Dizzying Swing; (3) Onslaught/Colossus/Dawnbreaker; and (4) Executioner.

The Stamplar burst is made up of: (1) Power of the Light; (2) Biting Jabs + Burning Light; (3) Onslaught/Dawnbreaker/ Crescent Sweep if no-CP; and (4) Executioner.

Obviously, #’s 3 and 4 are identical for these purposes, in that they’re both AOE for #3 and not AOE for #4. Meanwhile, Power of the Light is actually better in this regard than Blastbones, because major evasion doesn’t actually mitigate all of its damage. And while Dizzying Swing is not affected by major evasion while Biting Jabs is, the Stamplar will still get more damage from Biting Jabs + Burning Light than the Stamcro will get from Dizzying Swing.
    Edited by RiskyChalice863 on April 7, 2020 8:57PM
  • EtTuBrutus
    EtTuBrutus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Been 2 months off. Anything meta that im not doing?

https://youtu.be/TrlG19Chddg
  • Datolite
    Datolite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey guys, is 2H still viable with magplar? I am thinking of going rattle/btb 5 heavy for 1vX, using onslaught. Also which monster set would you recommend? Thanks.
  • EtTuBrutus
    EtTuBrutus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Datolite wrote: »
    Hey guys, is 2H still viable with magplar? I am thinking of going rattle/btb 5 heavy for 1vX, using onslaught. Also which monster set would you recommend? Thanks.

Don't use rattle. Rattle is bad mkay. Use spell power crit pots since stam sustain isn't an issue at all with 2h and use a good set. Depending on your other set, choose a monster to complement.
  • RiskyChalice863
    RiskyChalice863
    ✭✭✭

Yes, I think it is viable, particularly with a Greatsword. In fact, it’s probably more viable on Magplar than any other magicka class. With a Greatsword, you’ll get 6% extra damage on all damage from that, as opposed to 8% extra AOE damage from a lightning staff. Most Magplar damage is going to be AOE there are some abilities you might run that aren’t (such as Jesus beam, Vampire’s Bane, Dark Flare, etc.), so those bonuses can kind of be a wash depending on what skills you’re running. And a Greatsword will get you higher spell damage than a lightning staff would. So you’re probably actually looking at more damage on a Greatsword build than with a lightning staff. And the higher weapon damage means you should definitely have higher healing on your front bar with a Greatsword.

Greatsword also gives you some extra damage after a fully charged heavy attack, and a boatload of extra stamina recovery after a kill. Neither is a huge deal, but they’re nice to have.

Of course, the main downside to running a Greatsword is that you can’t get magicka back on a heavy attack. But you can run a resto staff or a destruction staff on the back bar to help you with that (note: since Templars have lots of HoTs and a healing ult in their class kit, you don’t need to go resto staff for Rapid Regen or resto ult, so you can back bar a frost staff for better blocking and potentially Elemental Drain if you want to use that).

Another downside to running a Greatsword is that you need to be in melee range to get ult charge going while on your front bar. But Magplars are naturally going to be close anyways, so this isn’t really much of a downside.

So, overall, I’d say not only is 2H viable on a Magplar, it actually may be the best option.

EDIT: As for monster set, not quite sure. I’ve been having a bit of a back and forth myself over what monster set to use on my Magplar. If you’re in heavy armor, you could probably get away with a damage set of some sort. Maybe Skoria or Grothdarr or Slimecraw?
    Edited by RiskyChalice863 on April 9, 2020 11:52PM
  • Hotdog_23
    Hotdog_23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    To follow up on the above, another way to think about the major evasion thing is this:

A lot of classes have a burst combo that is made up of the following: (1) a delayed burst ability; (2) a spammable; (3) an ultimate; and (4) an execute.

Typically, the delayed burst and ultimate are mitigated by major evasion, while the spammable and execute are not.

For a Templar, the ultimates are going to be mitigated by major evasion. The delayed burst is going to be mostly, but not entirely, mitigated by major evasion (since a good portion of copied damage will actually not be AOE). The executes are not mitigated by major evasion. Up until this point, if anything, the Templar looks superior to a lot of other classes in terms of avoiding major evasion mitigation. Of course, the difference is that their spammable is mostly mitigated by major evasion too. However, their spammable does so much damage that even if it is mitigated by major evasion, it’s going to do as much or more damage than the spammable that other classes are using (one exception being Frags, but I believe MagSorcs have their execute mitigated by major evasion, so that’s a trade off), so it’s hard to really say Templars are left in bad shape overall.

To put names to this, let’s compare a Stamcro and Stamplar:

The Stamcro burst is made up of: (1) Blastbones; (2) Dizzying Swing; (3) Onslaught/Colossus/Dawnbreaker; and (4) Executioner.

The Stamplar burst is made up of: (1) Power of the Light; (2) Biting Jabs + Burning Light; (3) Onslaught/Dawnbreaker/ Crescent Sweep if no-CP; and (4) Executioner.

Obviously, #’s 3 and 4 are identical for these purposes, in that they’re both AOE for #3 and not AOE for #4. Meanwhile, Power of the Light is actually better in this regard than Blastbones, because major evasion doesn’t actually mitigate all of its damage. And while Dizzying Swing is not affected by major evasion while Biting Jabs is, the Stamplar will still get more damage from Biting Jabs + Burning Light than the Stamcro will get from Dizzying Swing.

Power of the light is ok but blastbones is much better. You can get 2 blastbones for every one of POL. Plus you can fire a blastbones and get full damage without doing anything else with POL you need to do more damage to get the copy which can be reduced in a group play. Plus, I would rather have Major defile over minor fracture and breech any day. Imagine if the target would have major defile for the first 4 seconds of POL.

Side note I am missing the snare from Cleansing Ritual.
  • yeyesil
    yeyesil
    ✭✭
    Thread is templar pvp guide but people change it to nerf templar, nerf jabs/sweeps. I cant understand why you always want the class strenghts to be nerfed.

Templar is not OP nor jabs/sweeps. I dont have serious problems with templars or jabs/sweeps. I dont mean its weak but its not OP either. Necros and wardens buffs and debuffs are much more a problem for me. A 6 seconds delayed burst that you need to go full offensive to benefit it is not OP.

Stam or magicka templars are really balanced now. I think they dont need any adjustments.
  • FirmamentOfStars
    FirmamentOfStars
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, I think it is viable, particularly with a Greatsword. In fact, it’s probably more viable on Magplar than any other magicka class. With a Greatsword, you’ll get 6% extra damage on all damage from that, as opposed to 8% extra AOE damage from a lightning staff. Most Magplar damage is going to be AOE there are some abilities you might run that aren’t (such as Jesus beam, Vampire’s Bane, Dark Flare, etc.), so those bonuses can kind of be a wash depending on what skills you’re running. And a Greatsword will get you higher spell damage than a lightning staff would. So you’re probably actually looking at more damage on a Greatsword build than with a lightning staff. And the higher weapon damage means you should definitely have higher healing on your front bar with a Greatsword.

Greatsword also gives you some extra damage after a fully charged heavy attack, and a boatload of extra stamina recovery after a kill. Neither is a huge deal, but they’re nice to have.

Of course, the main downside to running a Greatsword is that you can’t get magicka back on a heavy attack. But you can run a resto staff or a destruction staff on the back bar to help you with that (note: since Templars have lots of HoTs and a healing ult in their class kit, you don’t need to go resto staff for Rapid Regen or resto ult, so you can back bar a frost staff for better blocking and potentially Elemental Drain if you want to use that).

Another downside to running a Greatsword is that you need to be in melee range to get ult charge going while on your front bar. But Magplars are naturally going to be close anyways, so this isn’t really much of a downside.

So, overall, I’d say not only is 2H viable on a Magplar, it actually may be the best option.

EDIT: As for monster set, not quite sure. I’ve been having a bit of a back and forth myself over what monster set to use on my Magplar. If you’re in heavy armor, you could probably get away with a damage set of some sort. Maybe Skoria or Grothdarr or Slimecraw?

You forgot the biggest downside of a stamina weapon on a magicka class: weak light attacks.
    Light attacks with a staff add great dps to your skills even in PvP (they are damage source number one in PvE, in PvP they are not as dominant as is in PvE, but still quite important).

In general 2H is viable with the advantages of having a mix of damage bonus from the staves, some stam regen, higher base spelldamage and the onslaught ultimate. In Cyrodiiil or bgs 2H is fine, in duels a staff is the way to go though, since in the end it is more dps going a staff thanks to light attacks.
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

You forgot the biggest downside of a stamina weapon on a magicka class: weak light attacks.
    Light attacks with a staff add great dps to your skills even in PvP (they are damage source number one in PvE, in PvP they are not as dominant as is in PvE, but still quite important).

In general 2H is viable with the advantages of having a mix of damage bonus from the staves, some stam regen, higher base spelldamage and the onslaught ultimate. In Cyrodiiil or bgs 2H is fine, in duels a staff is the way to go though, since in the end it is more dps going a staff thanks to light attacks.

I looked into this a lot and it’s a wash between staves and a 2H. The weaker light attacks equal the extra spell damage you get on skills from a 2H.

I still like staves though just because the LAs are ranged.

I’d say between the two the main difference is the passives: 2H has good stam sustain passives and destro has status effects. It works because destro passives aren’t that good, the passives mainly buff destro abilities.
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • Kartalin
    Kartalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    One benefit of 2h is you never seem to get stuck with an attack you intend to be light but somehow turns into a fully charged heavy.

Although, knock on wood, it's been a while since I last recall this happening on a staff. Fixed?

I agree though, the extra LA damage on staff is probably more important unless you specifically use Onslaught as your ult. But with the state of roots/snares/ccs in this game currently, even with an immov pot up you're taking a big risk relying on that 5 second window to take full advantage of your ult, not to mention dealing with the cast time.
    • PC/NA
    • Karllotta, AD Magplar, AR 50
    • Hatched-In-Glacier, DC Magden, AR 44
    • Miraliys, EP Warden, AR 35
    • Kartalin, AD Stamblade, AR 35
    • Kallenna, AD Magcro, AR 34
    • Miralys, EP Magsorc, AR 34
    • Milthalas, EP Magblade, AR 34
    • Lemon Party - Meanest Girls - @ Kartalin - Youtube
  • FirmamentOfStars
    FirmamentOfStars
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    EtTuBrutus wrote: »
    Been 2 months off. Anything meta that im not doing?

https://youtu.be/TrlG19Chddg

Dont know your build, but skill setup looks pretty meta for using spellpower pots.

It is just my personal preference, but your health and stamina look a tick too small for me, probably because of witchmothers in light armor. But if you are comfortable with it, then it should be fine.
  • Datolite
    Datolite
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Thanks for the advice. Would you agree with the others that Stan sustain with 2H would make tri pots unnecessary? If that's the case and I went back to spell pots, what set would you recommend to replace rattlecage?
    Edited by Datolite on April 11, 2020 8:24AM
  • Rhaegar75
    Rhaegar75
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think I need your help with my stamplar. Unlike the magicka counterpart my stamplar is no longer shining in any areas: damage is lacklustre and I'm also very squishy.
    I'm still using 5 medium: BS + Bone pirate + Hundings, bow and 2h: should I go heavy? different monster set? 2 damage sets?...confused

Admittedly I have not played my Stamplar in a while but I'm quite lost especially in comparison to my other Stramina main - DK.

What are you guys using these days in terms of gear and skills? thanks
    Edited by Rhaegar75 on April 19, 2020 6:34PM
  • Soris
    Soris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rhaegar75 wrote: »
    I think I need your help with my stamplar. Unlike the magicka counterpart my stamplar is no longer shining in any areas: damage is lacklustre and I'm also very squishy.
    I'm still using 5 medium: BS + Bone pirate + Hundings, bow and 2h: should I go heavy? different monster set? 2 damage sets?...confused

Admittedly I have not played my Stamplar in a while but I'm quite lost especially in comparison to my other Stramina main - DK.

I took a long break too. So far i returned this is what i got

I have nord and i use medium armor new moon acolyte + furry/seventh legion + potentates. I use seventh legion on back bar, only to activate the buff and i use potentates on rings to have permanent 5% damage reduction. Less damage than furry but i think it's a fair trade for some defence.(but more time spent in buffing :/ ) Coupled with minor protection you'll have 13% permanent damage reduction. And if you add heroic slash on top of that which is another 15%. Though usually i cant fit this in my build and even if i fit i cant use it on ranged builds which is a waste. I dont think heavy armor worth the trade btw.

You can use a combination of new moon acolyte, furry, seventh legion, hulkings, spirgans, ancient dragonguard and 2 piece of potentates
    For monster set you can use trollking, blood spawn or 1 piece lord warden + 1 piece pirate
    And then use a maul with lover mundus stone. Plus camo hunter and channeled acceleration which adds extra damage to your build. And always have off balance status effect on your enemy. Especially important when you are dumping your ulti as well as 2h heavy attack.

Stamplar is usually the squishy one. You should aim for 25k health minimum. (30k is better though) Then around 30k stamina, 5k weapon damage 1700 stam regen 1k health regen with gold food. My jab tooltip is 4k - 4.5k per hit. I think it's enough damage wise.
    Edited by Soris on April 20, 2020 6:46AM
    Welkynd [Templar/AD/EU]
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Nord plus medium is a solid combo if you can get the defense right. Nord is the best defensive set atm.

I’d re-evaluate after healing is nerfed though. Where med and heavy give about the same self healing now (healing received passives vs extra weapon damage) with med having higher damage, it could be harder to pull off post patch. If you like roll dodging a lot in your playstyle I think med might become better but it’s always hard to tell without playtesting.
    Edited by Iskiab on April 20, 2020 5:43PM
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • Rhaegar75
    Rhaegar75
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Iskiab: thanks. Very interesting reflection which I have not yet considered. Definitely worth thinking about it.

@Soris: I like the sound of Fury + NMA maintaining a % medium build. How would you keep Stam Regen so high without Bone Pirate. Do you actually use 1h + Shield?
    Thanks

Edited by Rhaegar75 on April 20, 2020 6:56PM
  • Soris
    Soris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Blood spawn, gold food, 13% mooncalf, six medium armor, rally and potions.
    I switch between bow and shield. Both are nice. Recently i find 1h shield more useful with low stam regen, mostly because it has quicker heavy attack channels and its ultimate
    Welkynd [Templar/AD/EU]
  • Jabbs_Giggity
    Jabbs_Giggity
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Haven't played in a while, but I ran NMG + Ravager, BS with BRP DW on back bar. It shreds, sustain is good with 2H and survivability is mid tier, depending on how well you know the class and other classes.
    Is ravager still broken?

I ran health + stam recovery food blue
    Edited by Jabbs_Giggity on April 21, 2020 1:35PM
  • Datolite
    Datolite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Currently running BTB/Rattle/Grothdarr and I am trying to tweak for best damage/heals in CP Cyro.

I'm sitting on 36.5k mag and 3k SD and running the Lover mundus. Still not hitting hard enough in CP. Thinking of swapping my arcane jewels for infused with SD at the cost of mag - would this be advisable?
  • Taylor_MB
    Taylor_MB
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Currently running BTB/Rattle/Grothdarr and I am trying to tweak for best damage/heals in CP Cyro.

I'm sitting on 36.5k mag and 3k SD and running the Lover mundus. Still not hitting hard enough in CP. Thinking of swapping my arcane jewels for infused with SD at the cost of mag - would this be advisable?

@Datolite
    Absolutely, with our easy access to minor sorcery, it makes spell damage better then max stats.
    PvP Defensive Set Comparison
    Firestarter MagDK 1vX
    - build and gamplay!
    LagPlar Ranged Lag Proof(ish) Magplar
    - build and gamplay!
    ShadowGaurd MagBlade Group Utility Tank
    - build and gamplay!
    Oncoming Storm No-CP 11.6k Ward MagSorc - build and gamplay!
    My YouTube Chanel

• FirmamentOfStars
    FirmamentOfStars
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Drop rattlecage for new moon and use the apprentice mundus stones, since it also helps out with healing. Hardest damage setup is probably new moon and scathing mage though.
  • Syiccal
    Syiccal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Build ideas for greymoor magplar???
    I think a brainstorm in this thread would be good.
    I currently use skoria/potentates/trans/new moon.
    However I feel trans nerf will hurt its potential as a back bar set and I like the idea of the new snow Walker boots for snare and root immunity and also the ring that offers speed.
  • Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Pariah/nma/grothdaar
    Triple infused prismatic cost reduce
    Stage 4 vamp, run shimmering frenzy and mist, backbar blood siphon
    Is what I'm looking at rn on pts.
    You can get about 4k+ spd and be pretty tanky with undeath/pariah
    The new mist is super good, they even cut the casting animation on it so you transition to mist form instantly, not to mention how cheap it is.
    For open world, on demand invisibility is gonna be a game changer and now you can go to hide and stay in mist form indefinetly.
    Overall vampire is looking great for magplar.
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Hum pariah... I was thinking 5H with stuhn. How is the sustain as a stage 4?

Stuhn + shackle + 1 piece speed mythic + stat piece. Back bar potatoes or BRP DW, but I can’t decide between heavy or light.
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • Firstmep
    Firstmep
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Iskiab wrote: »
    Hum pariah... I was thinking 5H with stuhn. How is the sustain as a stage 4?

Stuhn + shackle + 1 piece speed mythic + stat piece. Back bar potatoes or BRP DW, but I can’t decide between heavy or light.

Brp dual wield won't be viable backbar anymore, and its losing major prot anyway.
    Light all the way, even with cost reduce glyphs I wouldn't go heavy, you also lose a lot of dmg in the process.
  • Syiccal
    Syiccal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stage 4 vamp and take a 20% bump to skill costs??? Hmm not so sure
  • BaiterOfZergs
    BaiterOfZergs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    New moon + vamp cost seems a little OD, feel like you could settle for a different damage set especially if you intend on using vamp rage.
    Zerg of House Smallscale, First of his name, wielder of Volendrung, battleground hero, Cyrodiil butcher, the swifft footed, OG of the Templars and first pvpers, defender of scrolls and baiter of zergs.
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stuns just adds so much effective damage, I find it hard to avoid. Add that with Balorgs and I find armor tough to count on if people use it. Makes me think buffer of the swift value go up a bit. Historically; the way damage reduction is calculated, it was a little lackluster, but so much penetration, the calculation will change.

Though the no crit ring adds a lot of damage as well that's unmatched. The draw back seems to hurt sorc and NB who have crit uses. I'm wondering though if its worthwhile if you lose crit heals as well.
  • EtTuBrutus
    EtTuBrutus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rhaegar75 wrote: »

More dmg. Stay medium.

Y would u run rattle for dmg?