The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Is Expansion worth it? Prices getting out of hand.

• Lixiviant
    Lixiviant
    ✭✭✭✭
    The only time I paid full price is when I preordered ESO when it came out. And loved it! All of us exploring new content, dungeons where full, everyone had some good ideas on how to level up.

Then, I held back on buying the new content for the next years, waiting until the next Chapter was released. I'm rethinking that because I hate being the last/only one in the zone as everyone has moved onto the next new thing.

Murkmire was fantastic because it was like a new chapter was released, we were all part of it, even though quite a few people had already explored it.

I might buy the next Chapter when it is released.
    PS4/PS5/NA - And sometimes EU

Daedroth might bite, just letting you know
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User]
    Soul Shriven
    Hello there,

Recently we've had to remove a few posts for baiting and flaming, content that is against the Forum Rules. For further posts be sure to stay constructive and respectful to avoid thread derailment.

Thank you for understanding.
    Staff Post
  • Kalante
    Kalante
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I will have to wait just like I did with elsweyr where I snatched the expansion for 3 dollars. The last time I ever bought something the first day was summerset almost two years ago now. It was alright and then the devs for some reason decided that It was a good idea to destroy combat in elsweyr and lower game performance. I did not see anything improve since elsweyr but worsen, therefore I dont think its worth buying anything from zos here on out. Unless you are an extreme casual that does not care about pvp or end game trials then go right ahead into this trap.
    Edited by Kalante on April 6, 2020 9:51PM
  • Suligost
    Suligost
    ✭✭✭
    Eh not rly, nothing added rly, vampire rework will be available in update but Im not hyped for it. Besides I never played any of new classes (warden, necromancer) simply because Im getting attached like single player maniac to my champs. My both chars started their journey on stros m'kai and fought at the end with dragons. Im aint going through all that again for few skills since im playing stamina (a lot of players share my view, least played classes are the new one) :)

Never buying chapters at day 1, never worth it for me.
    Edited by Suligost on April 6, 2020 10:07PM
  • Vlad9425
    Vlad9425
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Game runs like crap so I will not be paying a penny to ZOS or Bethesda until it gets fixed. Also all these updates seem to come with nerfs to fun gameplay so that’s another reason not to give them money.
  • FierceSam
    FierceSam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Kalante wrote: »
    I will have to wait just like I did with elsweyr where I snatched the expansion for 3 dollars. The last time I ever bought something the first day was summerset almost two years ago now. It was alright and then the devs for some reason decided that It was a good idea to destroy combat in elsweyr and lower game performance. I did not see anything improve since elsweyr but worsen, therefore I dont think its worth buying anything from zos here on out. Unless you are an extreme casual that does not care about pvp or end game trials then go right ahead into this trap.

Well, aside from the new trial, Greymoor is firmly aimed at questing and story. So if that’s not your thing it would be foolish to get it.
  • Malmai
    Malmai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm sat here looking at the new expansion at £33 and £55 for deluxe and am starting to really dislike the ESO model now. Not only are we paying more than full price for an Expansion but this does not include all the dungeon dlc etc that we must buy or sub for before and after launch, craft bag is a must have and it locked behind a sub so we're not only subbing but having to buy dlc on top of expansion which lets face it do NOT feel like expansions but more like a free WoW DLC update. Look how small and lacking in content every expansion has been compared to any other major mmo with a £30 expansion. And on top of all this they are putting the best content behind loot boxes which cost an insane amount and crowns which are becoming more and more used and items becoming more expensive on top of that they have the cheek to sell collectors DLC packs with mounts and pets... seriously i think i just realised how much of a utter scam this game is now. And people complain having to sub to games like FFXIV or WoW for only £10 a month. It's just starting to feel like one mega rip off.

Good morning :)
  • Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's pretty normal. I'm fairly sure WoW does a similar thing when they release a new expansion. Difference is, ESO doesn't force you to subscribe each month, and the highest rating gear isn't hidden behind an expansion. If you're still too poor to buy a chapter, you can wait until it eventually goes on sale. I only picked up Elsweyr a couple of days ago for under £10.
    It's really not that bad when you think about it.
  • rumple9
    rumple9
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    With greymoor you are just paying for a vamp skill line that will get nerfed in 6 months time and a boring time sink mini game in. Antiquities
  • vamp_emily
    vamp_emily
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I wish I could give my pre-order to someone. I'm not sure If I will be sticking around to play it.

If you want a friend, get a dog.
    AW Rank: Grand Warlord 1 ( level 49)

• Alucardo
    Alucardo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    rumple9 wrote: »
    With greymoor you are just paying for a vamp skill line that will get nerfed in 6 months time and a boring time sink mini game in. Antiquities

isn't the vampire skill line part of the base game?
  • parpin
    parpin
    ✭✭✭
    why are you misinforming people with WOW and FFXIV, both have in game cash shop and some of best cosmetic items are cash shop only and along with other services that you need to pay for it like race and appearance change, 25$ for wow and 10$ for ffxiv, very similar to eso, so far they are same.
    both wow and ffxiv you need to buy expansion similar to chapters, but over there it is every 2 years and expansion are bigger than chapters, but if you put 2 chapters together which are yearly it will become as big as expansion but it will cost more so eso lose here.
    if we consider monthly sub of wow and ffxiv at 10$ then you must pay 120$ every year to be able to play, do not pay a month you will lose access to the game entirely, on the other hand in eso it is optional, many people are playing without craft bag like me and are doing fine so do not generalize and say it is must, it is must for you not me, also you did not mention 1650 crowns you get for subbing and unlimited access to dlc.
    so over all eso WINS with less aggressive business model and more benefits for being sub like i said getting crowns and you can have cosmetic stuff and services purely from crowns you got from subbing, there are many veteran players who have ton of crowns already,
    like i said overall ESO WINS.
    Edited by parpin on April 7, 2020 1:09PM
  • Wifeaggro13
    Wifeaggro13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    There is no content in the lootboxes, just cosmetics.

And? all of those mounts and outfits should be earned in game not cost thousands of real money on top of everything else we pay. You sub to give them money to make content to then lock behind a pay wall. You buy an expansion to have the dungeons as dlc you must buy or sub to use, and if you sub you don't get the CE forcing you to go without the stuff or buy it twice.

Cosmetics are not Content.

Wants are not Needs.

Nothing in the Lootboxes is needed to play the game.

BTW, I hate the Lootboxes, not apologizing for them at all. Just not calling them Content.

The issue is these items should be in loot tables from actually playing the game.gambling boxes need to be removed from western gaming. Its predatory for sure. You already deal with insane RNG in this game. You should not have to pay to have a chance at a expansion mount that you cant actually get from playing the game.just because it does not have a stat . I think gaming as a whole has duped their customers with this "only cosmetics " its BS if you put things in boxes that look x10 better then any thing you can earn in game its predatory.
  • Kadoin
    Kadoin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Kalante wrote: »

I did the same, at least in Summerset the dev team seemed to take bugs and PTS input seriously.

This time, there is no point in discussing anything or even reporting it, because its going live...

Sorry, I am still salty about that light attack thing and arch-mage change. Don't mind me.
  • Seperatist
    Seperatist
    ✭✭✭
    Don't worry ppl will flame and quit, not just cuz of unworthy content, but on top of that upcoming bugs with old bugs, empty promises about uprgade and fix patches or however they call it. So zos probably will do discounts soonish in future to keep it going.
    Immoltal ledeemel, (un)chained, Gryphon Fat, Thicc Tocc Tolmenter, Grand overbruhlord, Kekslayer. "You know you don't have to be here right"
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    From my perspective:

- Morrowind - I paid for Warden, HoF, battlegrounds(!), a large map, and nostalgia
    - Summerset - I paid for jewelry crafting, Psijic line, Cloudrest, and the chance to explore an area not previously seen in TES games
    - Elsweyr - I paid for Necromancer class, sunspire, and a dissapointingly small map. Dragons were meh

Greymoor - I paid to enable poor decisions and prioritization at the highest level of Zeni. And more nostalgia. No new class, no new crafting or skill lines, rehashing of previously explored maps. Antiquities system is meh. Given the poor performance of late it may not be easy to fill groups for the new trial. I pre-ordered hoping for the announcement of additional features to put it on par with previous chapters. Instead we got the decision to gut combat and tie sustain to light attacks.

I personally find that the value of the chapters has diminished with each cycle. So much so that I cancelled my Greymoor pre order. There’s absolutely nothing in this release that’s worth getting now instead of waiting a year to get with ESO+
    Edited by Reverb on April 8, 2020 12:29PM
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Maulkin
    Maulkin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The prices are starting to really not reflect value for money. They started great with Morrowind and Summerset introducing a lot of new mechanics but it's progressively gone down hill.

Morrowind: Warden class and Battlegrounds
    Summerset: Psijic skill line and jewellery crafting
    Elsweyr: Necromancer class
    Greymoor: antiquities????

I mean seriously how is Greymoor more content than Clockwork City which was a DLC with a new map, new quests, a trial and introduced the transmutation system? It's not. They are either getting greedy, lazy, out of ideas or all of the above.

And on top of it, the performance of the game is now hot garbage. Cyrodiil has been a laggy mess for years (and population is tiny compared what it used to be), but their "performance upgrades" have made combat appalling with skills not firing and mechanics not working even in Battlegrounds and PvE.

Seriously, it's like you've been paying for the game to get worse lately.

Edited by Maulkin on April 7, 2020 11:40PM
    EU | PC | AD
  • JanTanhide
    JanTanhide
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm sat here looking at the new expansion at £33 and £55 for deluxe and am starting to really dislike the ESO model now. Not only are we paying more than full price for an Expansion but this does not include all the dungeon dlc etc that we must buy or sub for before and after launch, craft bag is a must have and it locked behind a sub so we're not only subbing but having to buy dlc on top of expansion which lets face it do NOT feel like expansions but more like a free WoW DLC update. Look how small and lacking in content every expansion has been compared to any other major mmo with a £30 expansion. And on top of all this they are putting the best content behind loot boxes which cost an insane amount and crowns which are becoming more and more used and items becoming more expensive on top of that they have the cheek to sell collectors DLC packs with mounts and pets... seriously i think i just realised how much of a utter scam this game is now. And people complain having to sub to games like FFXIV or WoW for only £10 a month. It's just starting to feel like one mega rip off.

I just wait till it becomes a Login reward or the price is super low. Sorta like Elsweyr right now cost less than a pack of smokes.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is no content in the lootboxes, just cosmetics.

And? all of those mounts and outfits should be earned in game not cost thousands of real money on top of everything else we pay. You sub to give them money to make content to then lock behind a pay wall. You buy an expansion to have the dungeons as dlc you must buy or sub to use, and if you sub you don't get the CE forcing you to go without the stuff or buy it twice.

Cosmetics are not Content.

Wants are not Needs.

Nothing in the Lootboxes is needed to play the game.

BTW, I hate the Lootboxes, not apologizing for them at all. Just not calling them Content.

Wants are not needs... really? One major aspect of an MMO is collecting cool mounts, pets and cosmetics, always has been. locking all the good looking stuff behind lootboxes and making us look like scrubs with a basic horse aint good enough. WOW lit has hundreds of mounts 99% of which you earn via achievements, raids, dungeons, quests etc. you are making excuses for them now pure and simple to defend them why?

Mounts, Costumes, Pets, Cosmetics, all are wants and are not required for playing this MMORPG or any other. Nestor is very correct with the comment you quoted.

Yes, Zos has put most of them behind a paywall but they are still not required.
  • Seraphayel
    Seraphayel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Greymoor is the first Chapter I didn't buy because it simply wasn't worth it. No new class, no new skill line, just a boring Vampire revamp and Antiquities - no thank you, I pass.

I'll get it when I can buy it for Crowns next year. Hope the next Chapter will have meaningful features.

I gladly payed for Morrowind and Elsweyr (and even Summerset), but all of them are / were overpriced. They're at best worth $20 as they are really just DLCs. But Greymoor for $40? No way.
    PS5
    EU
    Aldmeri Dominion
    - Khajiit Arcanist -
  • Berchelous
    Berchelous
    ✭✭✭✭
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$
  • Sephyr
    Sephyr
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    After this year, I'll probably just buy them with crowns. That's if I feel like supporting the business ever again.
  • asuitandtyb14_ESO
    asuitandtyb14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I agree. A zone is not worth nearly the same asking price of other games, and it certainly isn't worth being called an expansion. As you pointed out, WoW releases a slightly more expensive expansion, but it's an actual expansion, with many zones and a ton of content. Now, if they included the smaller, "barely a zone" zone 4th release in the entire package, as well as the dungeons for the price they're asking for, that would be objectively competitive enough to be worth it.
  • Mettaricana
    Mettaricana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    NerfBosmer wrote: »
    If you sub for craft bag you have access to the DLCs as well, just not expansion. So it's not as expensive as it looks unless you want permanent access to those DLCs.

It's not worth it for me personally, but YMMV. I'm not a fan of the whole gory gothic theme so this is the 2nd marketing year dud for me after Elsweyr.

Once i finish a dlc i kinda rarely of ever return to them unless im dye achievement hunting or checking odd end teaders for low price obscure deals so i never buy the dlc. But for like my daughter whom i have split custody is only here 3 days a week i buy her dlcs since she's not here enough to get full use of eso plus. But most dlcs are terrible prices and only ones worth a damn in my opinion are the ones that offer a new arena wrothgar, markarth