Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [IN PROGRESS] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

I had an idea about racial abilities

Rezlov
Rezlov
Ok, first things first, this is purely a creative idea. Discussion is welcome. I wanna play this off, see what you can contribute aswell.

I had a shower thought about how we could make races interesting: racial abilities. I know we have passives, but for me that's just kind of lacking. You don't get to see what the race is truly about. Oh, so dunmer are just dagger wielding ashlanders resistant to fire? NO, they aren't just ashlanders, they are sick mushroom mages and stuff (and slaves behind the pacts back) Argonians are just poison resistant healers? No, they have freaking shadowscales, they worship Sithis in their pasttime. And so on with all others, you get what I mean.

So I had an idea about every race having some abilities. First I thought about skill trees, but that's a bit much, so I reduced it down to like 4-5 skills + ult of some sort. I don't know about all races, I based this mostly on argonians. I had an idea about them having some skill like a tail sweep where they set enemies off balance and for their ult it could just be that power from Skyrim, where they heal, but let's make it like 5-10 seconds. Khajiit could have a pounce ability and some sort of night vision, Orcs could have a stamina regen ult that can also cause fear (I'd be scared) and so on.

I would like to bounce off ideas with someone, purely for the fun of this concept.

Do you have any ideas? Feel free to tell them. Also, sorry for a badly structured post.
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Races used to each have their own ultimate. I can’t remember if they were in the game at launch, or if it was just during beta. I believe they were determined to be a balancing nightmare and scrapped to make race less significant.
  • Gorgoneus
    Gorgoneus
    ✭✭✭
    ZoS don't care about any community ideas, they have their own plans on years forvard already.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Races used to each have their own ultimate. I can’t remember if they were in the game at launch, or if it was just during beta. I believe they were determined to be a balancing nightmare and scrapped to make race less significant.

Not when the game launched.

Edit: Not in late beta either, Maybe a very early idea that was scrapped just as early.
    Edited by idk on April 6, 2020 8:59PM
  • BlueRaven
    BlueRaven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »

Edit: Not in late beta either, Maybe a very early idea that was scrapped just as early.

It was an early idea. There had talked about giving Wood Elves a summonable pet (like the wardens bear) but balancing was an issue.
  • Rezlov
    Rezlov
    Gorgoneus wrote: »
    ZoS don't care about any community ideas, they have their own plans on years forvard already.

I know they won't care, I just wanna have fun with the idea.
  • Aelorin
    Aelorin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Oooh racial abilities, I would love that. Maybe this abilities would have a special 7th slot with a long cooldown to not upset the balance of the game.

For example:

- Dunmer should be able to cast a real big fireball.
    - Altmer should be able to cast another fancy destruction spell: Something that would combine the 3 elements.
    - Bosmer would be able to charm a beast for X seconds
    - Orcs would be able to go in a Frenzy

I love your Argonian sweep btw :smile:
    And so the Elder Scrolls foretold.You will be shy, and I will be bold.
  • ZOS_FalcoYamaoka
    ​Greetings,
    We had to remove some posts as it violated our rules around bashing. Please be sure to keep discussions civil and constructive​. If you have any questions about the actions being taken, please take a moment to review our community rules here.
    Staff Post
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Aelorin wrote: »
    Oooh racial abilities, I would love that. Maybe this abilities would have a special 7th slot with a long cooldown to not upset the balance of the game.

For example:

- Dunmer should be able to cast a real big fireball.
    - Altmer should be able to cast another fancy destruction spell: Something that would combine the 3 elements.
    - Bosmer would be able to charm a beast for X seconds
    - Orcs would be able to go in a Frenzy

I love your Argonian sweep btw :smile:

I would assume that Argonians would have something similar to "Histskin" from TES V.
    https://elderscrolls.fandom.com/wiki/Histskin

It significantly increased health recovery for short time, but it had a very long cooldown.
    Edited by Tommy_The_Gun on April 8, 2020 5:51PM
  • Rezlov
    Rezlov
    Well, the histskin could be one ability, a tail sweep another. It's hard to come up with what each race could have as an ability since it could become repetitive. I had an idea for khajiit to have a "pounce" ability which works similar to teleports but it would just need to be visually changed so that they sort of pounce on an enemy.
  • Iluvrien
    Iluvrien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I'd love for them to add depth to the racial identities in this game.

But I'd much prefer they do it with skills/abilities/aspects that are not combat related. Anything combat related will just get nerfed or changed. i think It's only the out of combat stuff that is likely to stick around long enough for players to actually become attached to it.
  • Lumenn
    Lumenn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Always wished argonians could outswim daggerfish in Cyrodiil(sure, the ocean variety on mainland would be beefier but river fish?). You'd NEVER catch me lol
  • worrallj
    worrallj
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    For some reason racial skills/passives have always been very polarizing in this game. I think the pain point is that
    A) people want to play any race, any style, and have it be viable. Your supposed to be able to play how you want, after all.
    B ) people want races to have meaningful differences that give them an identity true to TES lore.

Problem is the more you do B, the more you jepordize A, and vice versa.

I'm *relatively* happy with where it stands now.
    Edited by worrallj on April 16, 2020 2:41PM
  • Rezlov
    Rezlov
    worrallj wrote: »
    For some reason racial skills/passives have always been very polarizing in this game. I think the pain point is that
    A) people want to play any race, any style, and have it be viable. Your supposed to be able to play how you want, after all.
    B ) people want races to have meaningful differences that give them an identity true to TES lore.

Yeah, you've summed up the situation pretty nicely. I'm also "happy" how it stand now, but this was just a thought I wanted to share, see if anyone else felt creative about it.
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    worrallj wrote: »

The solution for that would be to make racial passive "morphs" - you can chose option A or B.
    For example, Argonians have 1000 bonus to magicka. Pick different morph - and you get bonus to stamina instead.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BlueRaven wrote: »
    idk wrote: »

It was an early idea. There had talked about giving Wood Elves a summonable pet (like the wardens bear) but balancing was an issue.

I did not say it was never tested. Just that it was not part of later testing or ever part of the game. Basically, was not arguing with them on this.

As for the idea, I do not think it is a good idea. With the changes Zos made to passives last year we have more wiggle room when choosing a race. If we added skills, active abilities, to a race it would more likely reduce the number of classes that are reasonably effective.
  • wylievc
    wylievc
    ✭✭✭
    I was thinking about this yesterday as well.. I boiled it down to maybe 1 ability or 1 ultimate of inconsequential nature due to not having to run a certain race to gains access to a certain ability. Something that follows each race's theme. Ultimates seem to make more sense to me since there are already really powerful ones available. Could make Dark Elves have something to do with their ambidextrous passives, like gain 4000 magicka and stamina and reduce incoming fire damage by 25% for 10 seconds. Or for an Orc an ultimate that gives them 10% increased run speed and 1000 health regen for 10 seconds, etc. If they aren't too powerful and are more just for flavor you wouldn't have any balancing issues.
  • Aigym_Hlervu
    Aigym_Hlervu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rezlov wrote: »
    Ok, first things first, this is purely a creative idea. Discussion is welcome. I wanna play this off, see what you can contribute aswell.

I had a shower thought about how we could make races interesting: racial abilities. I know we have passives, but for me that's just kind of lacking. You don't get to see what the race is truly about. Oh, so dunmer are just dagger wielding ashlanders resistant to fire? NO, they aren't just ashlanders, they are sick mushroom mages and stuff (and slaves behind the pacts back) Argonians are just poison resistant healers? No, they have freaking shadowscales, they worship Sithis in their pasttime. And so on with all others, you get what I mean.

So I had an idea about every race having some abilities. First I thought about skill trees, but that's a bit much, so I reduced it down to like 4-5 skills + ult of some sort. I don't know about all races, I based this mostly on argonians. I had an idea about them having some skill like a tail sweep where they set enemies off balance and for their ult it could just be that power from Skyrim, where they heal, but let's make it like 5-10 seconds. Khajiit could have a pounce ability and some sort of night vision, Orcs could have a stamina regen ult that can also cause fear (I'd be scared) and so on.

I would like to bounce off ideas with someone, purely for the fun of this concept.

Do you have any ideas? Feel free to tell them. Also, sorry for a badly structured post.

So, you had an idea of 4-5 skills and an ultimate.. The racial modifiers progressed since TES I. The "skills and an ult" idea was introduced in TES III almost literally to what you have written, with some of it's concepts being set even far earlier in TES II and structured more familiar to that idea in the Battlespire. TES III Khajiit had that very night vision ability you wrote about. It was a spell called the "Night Eye". And their power ability (the one that could be used just once a day - well.. the "ultimate" as it is called today), was exactly that "Fear" you gave to the Orcs further on. It was called the "Eye of Fear". And the Orcs had the stamina fortification ability within their "Berserk" power. Don't you mean you didn't know it?..

The Nords were not afraid of cold, the Dunmer, did not fear harsh fiery environments, the Altmer were weak to temperatures, electricity and magicka damage but just like the Redguards, the Argonians and the Bosmer, they had a strong solid resistance to Peryite's "blessings". The Altmer also had the largest magicka pool. The Argonians could breath in water, no poison was said to harm them. The Bosmer had the "Beast Tongue" power ability to tame creatures, the Imperials used their charming "Voice of the Emperor" power ability.

I see you have a Russian styled name there, OP, so you might be aware of that old proverb: "Everything new is just well-forgotten old". So, instead of styling it like an insight, something completely new, you could just say "Guys, I want those TES III racial Abilities and Powers system back in the ESO, though upgraded to fit it's MMO genre! Let's discuss it here!". But your phrases about the Dunmer made me uncertain - was that your specific attitude or was it your lack of knowledge of the lore and the mechanics of TES games that makes you think that way? So, you say the Dunmer aren't just dagger wielding ashlanders resistant to fire, but they're also some "mushroom mages" and (that's the most interesting) "slaves behind the pacts back"?.. Wow. Since I'm unaware of how is it possible you (as you said it) "don't get to see what the race is truly about" in spite of the recent 26th series' anniversary and it's that detailed lore, I conclude you either play TES games the way I played Doom or Quake years ago or you're just mocking here. That was rude, OP, at least to those who are Dunmer in that wonderful artificial world.
    Edited by Aigym_Hlervu on April 17, 2020 1:26AM
  • Rezlov
    Rezlov

So, you had an idea of 4-5 skills and an ultimate.. The racial modifiers progressed since TES I. The "skills and an ult" idea was introduced in TES III almost literally to what you have written, with some of it's concepts being set even far earlier in TES II and structured more familiar to that idea in the Battlespire. TES III Khajiit had that very night vision ability you wrote about. It was a spell called the "Night Eye". And their power ability (the one that could be used just once a day - well.. the "ultimate" as it is called today), was exactly that "Fear" you gave to the Orcs further on. It was called the "Eye of Fear". And the Orcs had the stamina fortification ability within their "Berserk" power. Don't you mean you didn't know it?..

The Nords were not afraid of cold, the Dunmer, did not fear harsh fiery environments, the Altmer were weak to temperatures, electricity and magicka damage but just like the Redguards, the Argonians and the Bosmer, they had a strong solid resistance to Peryite's "blessings". The Altmer also had the largest magicka pool. The Argonians could breath in water, no poison was said to harm them. The Bosmer had the "Beast Tongue" power ability to tame creatures, the Imperials used their charming "Voice of the Emperor" power ability.

I see you have a Russian styled name there, OP, so you might be aware of that old proverb: "Everything new is just well-forgotten old". So, instead of styling it like an insight, something completely new, you could just say "Guys, I want those TES III racial Abilities and Powers system back in the ESO, though upgraded to fit it's MMO genre! Let's discuss it here!". But your phrases about the Dunmer made me uncertain - was that your specific attitude or was it your lack of knowledge of the lore and the mechanics of TES games that makes you think that way? So, you say the Dunmer aren't just dagger wielding ashlanders resistant to fire, but they're also some "mushroom mages" and (that's the most interesting) "slaves behind the pacts back"?.. Wow. Since I'm unaware of how is it possible you (as you said it) "don't get to see what the race is truly about" in spite of the recent 26th series' anniversary and it's that detailed lore, I conclude you either play TES games the way I played Doom or Quake years ago or you're just mocking here. That was rude, OP, at least to those who are Dunmer in that wonderful artificial world.

Ok, that was meant to say "slavers behind pacts back", and I kind of meant it as a joke (obviously failed). I'm not a lore nerd or whatever you'd call it. Sorry if you thought I was trying to be rude, I was just trying to describe that there is more to dunmer than being fire resistant and that they wield daggers. Try not to take it to heart that I just described them as "mushroom mages", I just got the picture of a telvanni mage. They are just the dunmer I know are mages.

Also, I wasn't really aware of the stuff from TES I, since yeah, I didn't play it (shame on me). I know races have their abilities in the single player games, and this is sort of inspired by it. I was just trying to more get ideas like, what if we gave each race a couple of abilities (5 would be too much, maybe 2 + some ult of sorts), just to see if people had ideas for the abilities. To get some creativity going.

P.S: The name's a coincidence, I'm not Russian :P, but it's an interesting proverb.
  • Aigym_Hlervu
    Aigym_Hlervu
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Ok, that was meant to say "slavers behind pacts back", and I kind of meant it as a joke (obviously failed). I'm not a lore nerd or whatever you'd call it. Sorry if you thought I was trying to be rude, I was just trying to describe that there is more to dunmer than being fire resistant and that they wield daggers. Try not to take it to heart that I just described them as "mushroom mages", I just got the picture of a telvanni mage. They are just the dunmer I know are mages.

Also, I wasn't really aware of the stuff from TES I, since yeah, I didn't play it (shame on me). I know races have their abilities in the single player games, and this is sort of inspired by it. I was just trying to more get ideas like, what if we gave each race a couple of abilities (5 would be too much, maybe 2 + some ult of sorts), just to see if people had ideas for the abilities. To get some creativity going.

P.S: The name's a coincidence, I'm not Russian :P, but it's an interesting proverb.

Oh. Then I have to apologize too, for my own words could have sounded rude to you too. You were so precise with your thoughts on certain abilities' description, I thought you were much aware of the lore. But then your other words surprised me because they showed the opposite. Thus I didn't get your point correctly. Thanks for explaining :)! I agree with your ideas on extra racial abilities and powers: it makes me recall the times of TES III - my favourite of the Elder Scrolls. Though I'm satisfied with the racial abilities the ESO gives us today, I think an active racial "power" skill in the form of an ultimate ability would be great!
    Edited by Aigym_Hlervu on April 18, 2020 12:55AM