The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Empieror title not available for female characters

• StormeReigns
    StormeReigns
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Thread is as appeeling as it was as last year, yeast we forget.
  • ZOS_GregoryV
    Greetings all,

After removing a handful of comments for Baiting, we must remind everyone that all posts are to be kept civil, constructive, and within the guidelines of the rules we have in place. Baiting is a violation of our rules and is stated as follows:
    Trolling or Baiting: The act of trolling is defined as something that is created for the intent to provoke conflict, shock others, or to elicit a strong negative or emotional reaction. It’s okay and very normal to disagree with others, and even to debate, but provoking conflict, baiting, inciting, mocking, etc. is never acceptable in the official The Elder Scrolls Online community. If you do not have something constructive or meaningful to add to a discussion, we strongly recommend you refrain from posting in that thread, and find another discussion to participate in instead. It is also not constructive or helpful to publicly call out others and accuse them of trolling, or call them a troll—please refrain from doing so. If you genuinely believe someone is trolling, please report the post or thread to the ESO Team, and leave it at that.
    If there may be any questions in regards to the rules, please feel free to take a few moments to review them here.

Thank you for your understanding,
    -Greg-
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • xXMeowMeowXx
    xXMeowMeowXx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amenaide wrote: »
    Royaji wrote: »
    The fact that so many people don't even understand which title the thread about and keep on bringing in "emperor/empress" (both are in the game, btw) in this discussion is hilarious.

To OP, I invite you to come up with a "pie" pun using the word "empress" without it sounding stupid or forced... Doesn't really work, huh? There's your problem.

How exactly is Empieror any less ridiculous than Empieress?
    The point is that I want to have a punny title for my character and seeing that there is one available for German and French, English should get it too.

That would work ^

A simple fix Boop~ :)

“I only speak English. Is that a crime?” Yes it is a crime
    Edited by xXMeowMeowXx on March 31, 2020 3:23AM
  • Q_Q
    Q_Q
    ✭✭✭
    Last year, after getting the Empieror title, i have noticed that it does not change to the female version (Empieress) when you 'equip' it on a female character. I had assumed that this was a bug and complained. I have received zero response. Why was the title made not available in both genders ? Do you think women dont play this game ?
    I understand that some titles like Silencer, etc are unisex, but when you were making a funny title, were you aware that there is also a female version of it? If not aware, feel aware now.
    This is very sexist.

You won’t get a response unless you submit a ticket that you can’t buy crowns.

Not from experience btw I hate the crown store.
  • ItsMeToo
    ItsMeToo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stay on Crown
    FYI - There is no such thing as 'night capping' in a world wide MMO.
    FYI - There was no paid Beta. When they launched the game the Beta was over, even if you don't think it was.
    FYI - It's B2P not F2P. There is a difference.
    FYI - It doesn't take any player skill to mash keys or buttons in this game. The ones that stay alive longer have the better internet connection and speed.
    FYI - The game is not broken, it still works. It just has 'bugs' that need to be fixed.
    Balance is a "Bad" thing.

Example: There were hundreds of Jedi and only two Sith in Star Wars. The Jedi wanted, "Balance in the Force" and they got it. Now there are only two Jedi and two Sith.

Balance is a "Bad" thing.
    Is the glass half full or half empty?
    I say, "Get a smaller glass."
  • Nordic__Knights
    Nordic__Knights
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Coppes wrote: »
    Drdeath20 wrote: »
    Emperor is a genderless position like champion.

Actually, Emperor is NOT a genderless position. https://britannica.com/topic/list-of-empresses-2042464

And Tamriel is not governed by the rules of real life language. Ultimately a title can apply to anything, especially in a fantasy setting where everything is made up.

If ZOS decides a title in ESO is genderless, then it's genderless, end of discussion. Their world, not yours.

Sorry, but that's the truth of it.

~ A homebrew D&D world builder

I don’t agree with OP’s tone which comes out as very childish, but there are Empresses in TES.

Clivia Tharn is literally called Empress Regent. And there is someone in the game (Undaunted member) who goes by the Empress of Bone.

EDIT: And I’m sure the Cyrodiil PvP title for females is Empress/Former Empress

They are talking about the event title for pie not pvp empress title
  • Nordic__Knights
    Nordic__Knights
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The fact that so many people don't even understand which title the thread about and keep on bringing in "emperor/empress" (both are in the game, btw) in this discussion is hilarious.

To OP, I invite you to come up with a "pie" pun using the word "empress" without it sounding stupid or forced... Doesn't really work, huh? There's your problem.

The point is that I want to have a punny title for my character and seeing that there is one available for German and French, English should get it too.

others had got you mixed up with the pvp title where your talking about event title that is only done in one form not two its an joking title so no they didn't see fit to make one for males and one for females like they did the pvp title sorry others got mixed up but the only event title is EMPIEROR watch is an fake title no where close to emperor or empress
    Edited by Nordic__Knights on March 31, 2020 10:05AM
  • evoniee
    evoniee
    ✭✭✭✭
    this is not the pvp emperor, right? it just an event title, so not a big deal
    Edited by evoniee on March 31, 2020 11:11AM
  • CMDR_Un1k0rn
    CMDR_Un1k0rn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

others had got you mixed up with the pvp title where your talking about event title that is only done in one form not two its an joking title so no they didn't see fit to make one for males and one for females like they did the pvp title sorry others got mixed up but the only event title is EMPIEROR watch is an fake title no where close to emperor or empress

There's a fair few titles that have gender variations in the game.

For the most part, they also consist of recognised words.

"Empieror" is not a recognised word. It is not actually a word at all. Though at the rate this thread is going I suspect there's a chance that Oxford might pick it up. :tongue:
    In-game username: Un1korn | Happy member of the PCNA UESP guild (Resident Daggerfall Covenant enjoyer) | Main & basically only character: Crucian Vulpin, Imperial Dragonknight of the Daggerfall Covenant, and Undaunted Bulwark (I tank) | Mountain bike enjoyer and vulpine appreciator | If you know me from PCEU: No
  • BRCOURTN
    BRCOURTN
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The terms waitress and actress are largely seen as politically incorrect now. It's considered misogynistic to say those terms, so if anything, ZOS is the opposite of sexist.
  • Raisin
    Raisin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The pun works better for Empieror and the Jester's Festival is just more inclusive in its hierarchy and decided there is only one, unisex title associated with the pie crown. I'm glad cause I prefer the good pun.

Same debate as the witch title during Witches Festival.
  • tsaescishoeshiner
    tsaescishoeshiner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    While it would be possible for a game to use Emperor for both genders if they wanted, ESO doesn't. As others have mentioned, the current Cyrodiil emperorship titles are Emperor/Empress and Former Emperor/Former Empress, so this probably should be changed to match.

"but it's an event title" Yes, and Lord/Lady of Misrule from the same event has two gendered versions

"Empress is in the dictionary" Yes, and so is "doctress" in many dictionaries. Ever hear anyone use that?

"Why does it matter?" I don't know, imagine if only Empieress was available. It would be weird and not make that much sense. Whether you think it's "sexist" or not

Also, re: "German and other languages have two gendered terms, why not English?" localization is a different art from translation. Sometimes a gender distinction in one language/culture isn't relevant in another. Like how "witch" does not have a male counterpart in English with the same connotations (wizard/warlock are not the same), but in Spanish brujo/bruja are more natural counterparts, I believe. But like ... ESO and English both use Empress already
    PC-NA
    in-game: @tsaescishoeshiner
  • January1171
    January1171
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    To me this is all a bigger issue of needing more freedom in choosing our options regardless of gender. Personally, I would hate an "Empieress" I much prefer "Empieror". If I ever pvp enough to get it, I would be forced to go with "Empress" instead of "Emperor". And costumes. I love the male version of the baker costume, but the female version looks dumb as all get out, but because I only play female characters I'll never get to use the male version.

For a game that won a GLAAD award it sure forces us into a specific gender dichotomy a lot.
  • CMDR_Un1k0rn
    CMDR_Un1k0rn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    While it would be possible for a game to use Emperor for both genders if they wanted, ESO doesn't. As others have mentioned, the current Cyrodiil emperorship titles are Emperor/Empress and Former Emperor/Former Empress, so this probably should be changed to match.

"but it's an event title" Yes, and Lord/Lady of Misrule from the same event has two gendered versions

"Empress is in the dictionary" Yes, and so is "doctress" in many dictionaries. Ever hear anyone use that?

"Why does it matter?" I don't know, imagine if only Empieress was available. It would be weird and not make that much sense. Whether you think it's "sexist" or not

Also, re: "German and other languages have two gendered terms, why not English?" localization is a different art from translation. Sometimes a gender distinction in one language/culture isn't relevant in another. Like how "witch" does not have a male counterpart in English with the same connotations (wizard/warlock are not the same), but in Spanish brujo/bruja are more natural counterparts, I believe. But like ... ESO and English both use Empress already

I wouldn't care if it were only "Empieress".

Like I say, the word doesn't exist so it is not bound by any rules. It means whatever ZOS would want it to mean.

Again, I build entire worlds as a hobby. This includes culture within those worlds. Yes, what I am saying is correct, as in a fictional world, anything goes. That's the whole point.
    Edited by CMDR_Un1k0rn on March 31, 2020 1:37PM
    In-game username: Un1korn | Happy member of the PCNA UESP guild (Resident Daggerfall Covenant enjoyer) | Main & basically only character: Crucian Vulpin, Imperial Dragonknight of the Daggerfall Covenant, and Undaunted Bulwark (I tank) | Mountain bike enjoyer and vulpine appreciator | If you know me from PCEU: No
  • tsaescishoeshiner
    tsaescishoeshiner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

I wouldn't care if it were only "Empieress".

Like I say, the word doesn't exist so it is not bound by any rules. It means whatever ZOS would want it to mean.

Again, I build entire worlds as a hobby. This includes culture within those worlds. Yes, what I am saying is correct, as in a fictional world, anything goes. That's the whole point.

Yah, I agree they can make pretty much whatever words and definitions they want. That's also why they can change it?

I do personally find Empieror a better pun than Empieress, and actually prefer Empieror on my female character that uses it. If I had to guess why there's just one, it's because Empieror is the better pun in English. Shrug

edit: pie-po
    Edited by tsaescishoeshiner on March 31, 2020 1:48PM
    PC-NA
    in-game: @tsaescishoeshiner
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Female running animation is more sexist. I wish I could turn it off on my female characters, it makes me feel so annoyed.
  • ZOS_SarahHecker
    ZOS_SarahHecker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey all, just wanted to confirm that we have seen this thread and plan on updating this in the future to more closely match the Empress title it was molded after.
    Staff Post
  • Elsonso
    Elsonso
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Molded? :smile:

Edit... had to look that one up. Never heard that expression used that way before.
    Edited by Elsonso on April 1, 2020 5:42PM
    PC NA/EU: @Elsonso
    XBox EU/NA: @ElsonsoJannus
    X/Twitter: ElsonsoJannus
  • jm42
    jm42
    ✭✭✭✭
    I just can't understand nowadays, is it sexist to purposely point on someone's female gender or not to point on it? And isn't it offencive to point on someone's gender, when you don't know how a person identifies itself?..... bamboozled
    Edited by jm42 on April 1, 2020 5:39PM
  • Chicharron
    Chicharron
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jm42 wrote: »
    I just can't understand nowadays, is it sexist to purposely point on someone's female gender or not to point on it? And isn't it offencive to point on someone's gender, when you don't know how a person identifies itself?..... bamboozled

seriously people get offended by something as stupid as a videogame title?

just thinking that this generation of offended are the future makes me sad, the good thing is that by the time that happens I will already be dead.
  • Sailor_Palutena
    Sailor_Palutena
    ✭✭✭✭
    Hey all, just wanted to confirm that we have seen this thread and plan on updating this in the future to more closely match the Empress title it was molded after.

Thanks! When I saw the icon for Mod response and the first response, I thought the issue at hand wouldn't even be noticed.
  • Dark_Lord_Kuro
    Dark_Lord_Kuro
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Normally i would say that its a made up word so it may be gender neutral (empieror=/=emperor)
    But according to other post in this thread they did give gender variation to it in other language so why not in english

On the other end french(i dont know about german) is way less gender neutral than english with most of the word having a gender so its not ato far of a strech to see why english would not get a gender varriance for the name
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Xarcus wrote: »
    I got it with my female characters in french, no problem
    in french "empiereur" & "impieratrice"

I don't know in english, it's only "empieror" ?

In English it is Emporer and I thought I had seen Empress.
  • Deathlord92
    Deathlord92
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ku5h wrote: »
    Will you apologize to ZoS for calling them sexist?
    It's obviously not the case of them being sexist, but the "language case", and calling someone sexist is pretty serious.

I'm last one to defend ZoS, but when is see ppl dropping ists willy-nilly it really angers me, because those words loose all meaning, when they are supposed to define worst of ppl.

Next time check your fact before droping ist bomb on someone.
    I completely agree with this.
  • January1171
    January1171
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This makes me really sad :'(

@ZOS_SarahHecker Can it please be passed on to the relevant teams that the ability to choose between gendered cosmetics would be very much appreciated? Gendered hair, costumes, titles, etc. There are a fair amount of things in the the game where I want to use the male version, but as a female character I can't. It would be a huge plus to the role playing aspect of the game.
    Edited by January1171 on April 1, 2020 7:05PM
  • kmkastl
    kmkastl
    ✭✭
    While I'm excited to eventually have the feminine version of empieror, I'm also sad I'll lose empieror itself as I have all female characters. I like that title. Why can't the achievement just give us both "empieror" AND "empieress" or whatever you end up choosing? Just having both titles lets us choose on a character by character basis. Make them separate titles but give both as rewards for the achievement. TBH that could be the case for all the gender specific titles like Lord and Lady. Then everyone is happy. I can't really see any downside to that.
  • Phaedrathallassa
    Phaedrathallassa
    ✭✭✭
    I prefer "Empieror" on my female characters.
  • Raisin
    Raisin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

It's truely lovely that you're paying attention and responding, but I also hope you took notice that this thread is full of people who don't want to have a change forced upon them. Remember, it always does more damage to give players something they like (for those who much prefer Empieror in this case) and then take it away. Doesn't work as well as having done it differently in the first place.
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Drdeath20 wrote: »
    Emperor is a genderless position like champion.

Actually, Emperor is NOT a genderless position. https://britannica.com/topic/list-of-empresses-2042464

And Tamriel is not governed by the rules of real life language. Ultimately a title can apply to anything, especially in a fantasy setting where everything is made up.

If ZOS decides a title in ESO is genderless, then it's genderless, end of discussion. Their world, not yours.

Sorry, but that's the truth of it.

~ A homebrew D&D world builder

It's a bug. It's supposed to match the Emperor title and doesn't.
  • Nemesis7884
    Nemesis7884
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    next thing you are expecting female characters to receive the same amount of gold rewards for quests...pfff where will this lead to???
This discussion has been closed.