The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Strategy for fighting S.Elsweyr worldboss Ri'Atahrashi?

xaraan
xaraan
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭✭
Often during events or when a zone is new, the strategy is just burn stuff down with a couple dozen players. But I've noticed this boss when trying to solo or fight with only one or two others is almost impossible. So I feel like I'm missing a trick (or I hope I am at least).

It feels like zos can't design a challenge without making enemies ignore what we are used to from combat in the game. i.e. trying it with a NB, the adds knockback/fire thing ignores invisiblity. Tried it with Immovable pots. They ignore the CC immunity for that. Which didn't surprise me since they ignore CC immunity anyhow and chain CC you with knockdowns and damage that nearly one shots you from one hit. I've tried focusing adds first, but they respawn. I've tried ignoring the adds completely from some advice, but they still do their attack eventually.

Best I've done is endlessly dodge roll with a stammy and even then I'm low on stam and don't have much left to actually fight. Or trying to spam shields, but on a mag, the hits will drain your stam if you block and if you don't, you get knocked down and can't re-shield future hits. So aside from a couple fights that worked out well b/c of perfect storm of the couple other players drawing more aggro from the adds and me not having to deal with a lot of the fire things they shoot, I don't feel like I've figured out any consistent way to fight this boss on a DPS by myself or with just one or two other DDs.
-- @xaraan --
nightblade: Xaraan templar: Xaraan-dar dragon-knight: Xaraanosaurus necromancer: Xaraan-qa warden: Xaraanodon sorcerer: Xaraan-ra
AD • NA • PC
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a world boss, @xaraan ... which means it's not designed for solo or duo play.

Bring some friends or call it out in zone chat.
  • xaraan
    xaraan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's a world boss, @xaraan ... which means it's not designed for solo or duo play.

Bring some friends or call it out in zone chat.

Yes, I haven't played the game since alpha or anything, thanks for the non advice.

So, does anyone have actual advice on how to deal with the boss?

Like I said, most bosses can be solo'd by end gamers with the right strategy - hence me asking for any good strats on it.

But I also did say by a few players as well for those that didn't read the whole post.

edit: This also ignores the horrible design element that your feedback suggests considering the amount of zones empty and without anyone to respond and help during non-event. The fact I'm encountering this problem in a new zone with new motif drops going on with from the dailies for it, shows the population problem. And ignores the fact that the mechanics of a world boss should never be that it does a bunch of broken stuff to instakill players by the handful and you just better bring a zerg and hope that a few people live long enough for the guys that died to rez before the others die. It's horribly design. So my hope is that maybe there is a strat I've missed and it's not just badly designed.
    Edited by xaraan on March 29, 2020 7:44PM
    -- @xaraan --
    nightblade: Xaraan templar: Xaraan-dar dragon-knight: Xaraanosaurus necromancer: Xaraan-qa warden: Xaraanodon sorcerer: Xaraan-ra
    AD • NA • PC
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    xaraan wrote: »

Yes, I haven't played the game since alpha or anything, thanks for the non advice.

It's horribly design.

You don't think my advice is good??

Here is what the ESO in-game help says in the map completion tooltip for new players (on world bosses and events):

"Show activities in the world that are best tackled by a group of adventurers."

You're not a new player to MMOs, right?

If you're not a new player, you don't need me to tell you advice the game already gives you.

Bottom Line: World bosses are designed very well for the audience that they are intended for.

Calling it "horrible design" (because it doesn't fit your solo playstyle) is totally inaccurate ... especially when the world boss achievement doesn't require it to be cleared solo.

Edited by Taleof2Cities on March 29, 2020 11:40PM
  • Hexvaldr
    Hexvaldr
    ✭✭✭
    If players just focus the boss, you will not get the aoes from the adds which kill everyone. That is the key. Single target dmg on the boss only.

This one is not supposed to be soloed.
    Edited by Hexvaldr on March 30, 2020 12:21AM
  • xaraan
    xaraan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    xaraan wrote: »

It's horribly design.

You don't think my advice is good??

Here is what the ESO in-game help says in the map completion tooltip for new players (on world bosses and events):

"Show activities in the world that are best tackled by a group of adventurers."

You're not a new player to MMOs, right?

If you're not a new player, you don't need me to tell you advice the game already gives you.

Bottom Line: World bosses are designed very well for the audience that they are intended for.

Calling it "horrible design" (because it doesn't fit your solo playstyle) is totally inaccurate ... especially when the world boss achievement doesn't require it to be cleared solo.

You can't be this thick. I'm going to assume you saw someone being critical of a game you like and jumped to attack the one thing you could from the entire post that I dared to try to solo it a couple times when I could not get any players to help: "It's not meant to be solo'd, gosh, don't even try and stop asking for advice."

I never said it's meant to be solo'd (just that I've tried) and even referred to having players there in the same sentence I mentioned the word solo and that the same problem existed. Yet, you seem to focus on one tiny thing that's irrelevant because you don't know how to help, but I'd still like to know any strats a player has that maybe had success soloing it. If there is something someone knows that can help, then I'm asking. This is players asking players for help, not players asking who doesn't know how to help.

Now, my problem with the design is not that had trouble with the content only solo, but also with other players. So I'm asking EVEN WITH A GROUP (for the third time)! And that is why the design is bad. Because any complaint I had about the mechanics did not only apply when I said I tried to solo it, but also applied with a small group of players. And the larger bad design is for other reasons you maybe didn't read or ignored from my other post: that the population in the game is such that there is no one to help in zones that aren't brand new or in an event, and sometimes, as I said, even during those times. Putting daily grindable rewards behind events that cannot be done b/c you can't get a group falls under bad design as well.

So again, I asked about any strats or mechs I may be missing from what I described that could help. Instead of just assuming I've seen all there is to see about the mechanics, I'm here asking what others might be aware of that I missed. Whether it's meant to be solo'd or not. I get it - You can't help.

And give up on the 'not meant to be solo'd' angle. If you don't know that a lot of world bosses, even in new zones are solo'd all the time, and even 4 man dungeons are often solo'd. Then now you know. And guess what, there are strategies for doing those things successfully whether it is intended or not. I'm not sure why it's hard for you to figure out that someone might ask about those types of strategies on something they were trying to deal with.
    Edited by xaraan on March 30, 2020 4:01AM
    -- @xaraan --
    AD • NA • PC
  • xaraan
    xaraan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Azmarul wrote: »
    If players just focus the boss, you will not get the aoes from the adds which kill everyone. That is the key. Single target dmg on the boss only.

I've heard this in zone. Maybe it works when you have a group that burns the boss down, but when it was only me and two others and we did this, the adds still do their thing eventually. So either you need more DPS by having a larger group or one of them lied and did some aoe stuff I didn't see (which is possible, they were just random people from the zone). I'll try it again when I'm with some people I know or by myself.
    -- @xaraan --
    AD • NA • PC
  • tsaescishoeshiner
    tsaescishoeshiner
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The adds have definitely targeted me during fire phase when I wasn't using AoE at all (to my knowledge). The adds' light attacks also deal like 6-7k damage each, which is a lot to deal with.

You can play ring-around-the-rosie with the boss and adds by drawing them to the entrance area of the arena with the broken wall (opposite the big shrine). This will pull the boss and ranged adds in, so be careful to back off. Sometimes the boss will stand still for his kickie attack phase.

I don't know exactly how to use this to HELP the fight lol, but it's one of the few ways to actually control the movement of the boss, and potentially isolate him or a couple adds
    PC-NA
    in-game: @tsaescishoeshiner
  • mague
    mague
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Azmarul wrote: »

Didnt try it solo. But if, then this. No pets, no proc sets, no nothing. Just plain single target damage and lots of it if possible.
  • jaws343
    jaws343
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I duo-ed him last night with a random player. The key is not using any AOE and single targeting the boss only. But you have to continue kiting the boss away from the adds. The broken walls help to move the boss away from the adds. While they still hit hard, you can mitigate the damage with a shield or dodge rolling at the right time. The further you are from the adds, the easier it will be to time a dodge roll. And with two people, the adds split their attention a bit so you don't have to worry about being overwhelmed by all of them at once.
  • xaraan
    xaraan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So far looks like single target is the concept, even though a couple others have said the other adds still attack. I'll keep playing with it as well as trying to kite the boss around through some spaces like tsaesci suggested.

The design of this boss is definitely not great for the more casual players. One of these things where players will just zerg it down and never learn mechanics and ignore it when there isn't a zerg there. I see this happen a lot with new bosses, I'll do them in a zone months later and just a couple people might show up to help and they have no idea how the fight actually works. (Like when I tried to do the northern boss in Murkmire with two others that didn't know to kill the totems and I was the only one trying to do it).
    -- @xaraan --
    AD • NA • PC
  • LukosCreyden
    LukosCreyden
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    This boss can definitely be solo'd. I did it.

You need to keep ALL damage away from the adds. Single target focus the boss, load him up with dots, but DO NOT TOUCH the adds. Slowly burn the boss down with dots and maybe a spammable, spend the rest of the time healing and surviving. It takes a while, but is 100% doable.

As a fun side effect, it is fun watching people run in to try and get a piece, attack the adds, then immediately melt.
    Struggling to find a new class to call home.Please send help.
  • xaraan
    xaraan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Lukos and others. Sounds like the single target boss strat someone had told me was a solid one, one of the randoms must have done something AoE related when I tried it. Sounds like it might even be easier to do solo than doing it with only one or two randoms that just run in crazy.
    -- @xaraan --
    AD • NA • PC