Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Are defensive sets worth it this patch?

GRXRG
GRXRG
✭✭✭✭
Hey guys, with my Nord StamDk mainly for no-cp and battlegrounds what could be a good set to pair with new moon?

I know everyone run nma + fury or spriggan but even tho i keep all buffs and heals up i still get oneshot my 8 or 9k frags, 10k executioners, 9k assassin's scourge, 7k or more leaps.

Those are the crazy numbers I see, and even if run like 6k wd my heals seems to do nothing, I dunno if it's because of lag or because I am bad I really don't understand.

As monster set I run bloodspawn which is very good for dk, what other 2 sets i could run?

A defensive set is worth running?

I ask this because i see people that i focus like 1vs3 and just by popping vigor and rally they survive against my 6k wd and my team mates? Just how? I do the same and i get oneshot.

And plus they are not tanks with 35k hp, they have good damage too, and sometimes don't even LoS and facetank all.
  • Kadoin
    Kadoin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ZOS balance is how they are able to make your damage tickle and explode on you :D

ZOS won't actually listen to feedback to solve the problem and instead contribute more to it when they add all these OP sets.
  • GRXRG
    GRXRG
    ✭✭✭✭
    Kadoin wrote: »
    ZOS balance is how they are able to make your damage tickle and explode on you :D

ZOS won't actually listen to feedback to solve the problem and instead contribute more to it when they add all these OP sets.

Yeah but running their same set, my heals are terrible and i receice oneshot damage even using los, which doesn't seem to work ever for me, but always for my enemy.
  • Giljabrar
    Giljabrar
    ✭✭✭✭
    @GRXRG I would consider using the Lady mundus for some more resists. It seems somewhat underrated. I know that's not a set, but it seems like a solid option this patch. Not many defensive sets seem that worth it imo. Though I've heard of some success from Ancient Dragonguard.
  • Casul
    Casul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I noticed this too. So I just adopted the belief that if I'm going to get 1-2 shot I may as well go all out on my damage.

7 divines for the win. Still needs a little work but it's been alright so far. Just gotta use LOS and we'll timed rally to keep myself afloat.
    PvP needs more love.
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Are you a nord? Nord is integral to that build.

Racial bonus’ are the equivalent of a 5 set piece, that build works because Nord is your defensive set.

They nerfed fortified brass (directly and indirectly) and the 6k resists from Nord is better then most defensive sets because they’ve been nerfed. If you’re another race and use a defensive set your stats will be lower.
    Edited by Iskiab on March 28, 2020 2:19PM
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • GRXRG
    GRXRG
    ✭✭✭✭
    Iskiab wrote: »

Racial bonus’ are the equivalent of a 5 set piece, that build works because Nord is your defensive set.

They nerfed fortified brass (directly and indirectly) and the 6k resists from Nord is better then most defensive sets because they’ve been nerfed. If you’re another race and use a defensive set your stats will be lower.

yeah i am nord, but no matter what i do, i just reach cp810 and i have decent meta cp setup with 81 ironclad 81 master of arms.
    Just faced this magsorc in imperial city and i ahve over 6wd fully buffed the fight was long like 2 minutes, i didn't drop his hp under 100% not even once even after landing good stuns and leap on him nothing, i had all my buffs and heals up, vigor going with frag shield, he stuns me, i break free instashotted from 27k hp (i was full). and in death recap i see 12k boundless storm, 3k overload, 4k frag, 4k curse final hit. What's wrong with my character? If it was really a l2p issue he should have one shot me immediately if i am that terrible. I really don't understand.
  • NoodleESO
    NoodleESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The best damage mitigation is avoiding damage, sounds simple I know but make sure you are saving your dodge rolls and blocks for those key moment you really need them.

Always make sure you have a spot you can use for line of sight and make sure you anchor yourself too that spot
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    GRXRG wrote: »

yeah i am nord, but no matter what i do, i just reach cp810 and i have decent meta cp setup with 81 ironclad 81 master of arms.
    Just faced this magsorc in imperial city and i ahve over 6wd fully buffed the fight was long like 2 minutes, i didn't drop his hp under 100% not even once even after landing good stuns and leap on him nothing, i had all my buffs and heals up, vigor going with frag shield, he stuns me, i break free instashotted from 27k hp (i was full). and in death recap i see 12k boundless storm, 3k overload, 4k frag, 4k curse final hit. What's wrong with my character? If it was really a l2p issue he should have one shot me immediately if i am that terrible. I really don't understand.

No idea, I’ve stuck to mag. Whenever I’ve tried to make a stam I tried stamblade and thought it was terrible.

Are you following every dizzy swing with a medium attack? CC immunity is broken so using a medium on every dizzy is a stun. Just dizzy and charge your medium while dizzy is casting, let go right after dizzy lands and it’ll stun for as long as off balance is up. That’s what I see a lot of stam do.

Sorcs are ranged and most will try and kite you, line of sight and they’ll come to close quarters or just ignore them.

If they weren’t streaking your burst it means you weren’t applying enough pressure. No idea why. Make sure you have light attack weaving and ani cancelling down.
    Edited by Iskiab on March 28, 2020 4:24PM
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • StaticWave
    StaticWave
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

You shouldn’t rely on heals alone. You also need to incorporate blocking and dodge rolling to mitigate damage while heals are ticking. Blocking can provide over 60% dmg mitigation, so hold block for hard hitting skills like frag, leap, assassins will, etc. An 8k frag will usually only do 3k-4k vs a blocking target. Use dodge roll to avoid near death situations where blocking alone isn’t enough. I can’t tell how you play but if I could see a footage of your gameplay I would definitely provide some feedback.
    Edited by StaticWave on March 28, 2020 4:33PM
    Platform:
    PC NA

Main:
    Static Wave - AD stamsorc

• GRXRG
    GRXRG
    ✭✭✭✭
    StaticWave wrote: »

You shouldn’t rely on heals alone. You also need to incorporate blocking and dodge rolling to mitigate damage while heals are ticking. Blocking can provide over 60% dmg mitigation, so hold block for hard hitting skills like frag, leap, assassins will, etc. An 8k frag will usually only do 3k-4k vs a blocking target. Use dodge roll to avoid near death situations where blocking alone isn’t enough. I can’t tell how you play but if I could see a footage of your gameplay I would definitely provide some feedback.

Yeah but if i roll or dodge too much i end up drained of stamina... and if i had recovery then i do not have the damage to kill anyone, already with 6k wd seems like i hit with a wet noodle, and i have good penetration too...

Do you think it's better to stay with a build and sets i have more success instead of trying many combos of sets and change always?
  • StaticWave
    StaticWave
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Yeah but if i roll or dodge too much i end up drained of stamina... and if i had recovery then i do not have the damage to kill anyone, already with 6k wd seems like i hit with a wet noodle, and i have good penetration too...

Do you think it's better to stay with a build and sets i have more success instead of trying many combos of sets and change always?

That’s why you do it tactically to conserve stamina. Only roll when you absolutely must, and use block as your main form of mitigation unless you’re a roll build with 3k recovery lol. I don’t know how well you combo your skills, but if you’re hitting like a wet noodle then either you’re not comboing correctly, or your opponents are stacking a lot of damage mitigation. Don’t get me wrong, some builds are really hard to kill and can still do a lot of damage, but they have their own counters. While 6k weapon damage is not the highest, it is sufficient to kill most players, especially on a stamDK.

I think it’s better to stick with a good build and work on your mechanics. The build you’re using is a meta build that many experienced pvpers use, so I suggest spending more time to practice your mechanics and gain experience fighting multiple types of builds. It’s the only way you can improve, even if it means dying to the same person 100 times.
    Platform:
    PC NA

Main:
    Static Wave - AD stamsorc

• Daffen
    Daffen
    ✭✭✭✭

There are many set combinations that work and there shouldnt be a problem with any of them, as long as you run medium armor you should be good. Any combination of 2 sets from fury/nma/shieldbreaker/spriggan/ancientdragonguard/seventhlegion/essencethief with defensive monster set of choice bloodspawn/trollking/2x resistance with either potentates or vbrp backbar should be enough to kill while still beeing tanky enough. Cp always plays a big part in your build and can be optimised properly.
  • Vyvrhel
    Vyvrhel
    ✭✭✭
    Get a Mighty Chudan moster set. :)
  • Stibbons
    Stibbons
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hvy armor stamina meta.
  • MurderMostFoul
    MurderMostFoul
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This is all true, but the first step to survival as a non-tank stam character in BGs it to avoid being out numbered. It all comes down to positioning and knowing when to engage and when to hold back. If you jump into melee with someone, hoping to take them out, but didn't consider their sorc friend who starts blasting you as well, and ignored the archer from the other team peppering you with poison injection and light attacks, you will lose that fight. Know how and when to jump into the fray, and learn to recognize when you've gotten yourself out of position and need to disengage.
    “There is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so.”
  • NinchiTV
    NinchiTV
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like using bone pirate/NMA/BS. Stamdks can face tank, stay on back bar when getting pressured pop major mending/vigor, maybe have undo and potents on back bar for 13% dmg mit. Thing about pure def sets is you sacrifice dmg (which makes it harder to kill) and sustain (cant stay in fights long) so you just end up surviving and waiting for your team to show up and save you. Or if your solo it just prolongs your inevitable death. Pick sustain and dmg and let your skills and play style keep you alive.
  • WreckfulAbandon
    WreckfulAbandon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you're a Nord DK you can be incredibly tanky just by running NMA+Fury+BS in 5 heavy.

Run all infused wep damage glyphs, warrior stone, sharpened maul, nirnhoned S&B.

You'll have around 800 stam regen which is fine if you run Deep Thoughts and know how to play stamDK. With cauterize and sugar skulls and around 5.5k weapon damage you'll heal great in heavy and still get kills. You can "graduate" to medium or just stay in heavy. Heavy is really more of a group build - you'll sometimes lack the damage to solo kill good players but can 1vX a lot of potatoes and tank just about anyone 1v1. It's a really fun group build.
    PC NA

All my comments are regarding PvP
  • Raudgrani
    Raudgrani
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Black Rose Prison or defensive Potentates backbar, is among the few defensive "sets"' I'd run now. Or Ancient Dragonguard on body, it's an underrated set imho.
    You'll need every ounce of power you can squeeze out. Especially if you run NMA as jewelry/weapons, then you won't have the 5% cost increase on backbar, where you are mostly likely to be low on resources and so on. You'll have to need some serious ace up your sleeve, to contiguously run a 5 piece defensive sets now, if you are supposed to deal damage as primary objective.
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You front barring a sharpened mace or at least a mace? Making sure you get noxious breath on them?
  • Soris
    Soris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow sharpened mace is the new thing? I never knew.

Coming back to game after 1 year, im also struggling like the OP. I also have 6k wpn dmg, 12k penetration and 25k armor. Against some builds it feels like im hitting my head to a giant wall, barely doing some damage but taking ridiculous amounts of damage each hit. Idk if it's the off balance thing. It's just so weird. Also dizzying swing range feels like 22 meters when they used on me and 3 when i use lol. Maybe it's the lag
    Welkynd [Templar/AD/EU]
  • JSlayer211
    JSlayer211
    ✭✭✭
    Defensive sets are definitely worth it if you plan go to into BG's imo. You can't count on your team at all (that's if you even have a full team). You really need to be self sufficient in a major way. I've watched my whole team wipe twice while I continued to fight because I use a defensive set and stack a bit of healing. Can I murder the masses? No, but there are quite a few players I can dispatch.

With all of that said, you are on quite possibly the easiest and most broken class to pvp with, DK.
  • Deathlord92
    Deathlord92
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My breton stamblade running nma spriggan 2 blood spawn 1 potentates bk bar and I’m very tanky and my heals are strong I can 1vx up to 5 players on average that if I’m not lagging. My advice to you is use potentates bk bar it does help a lot and make sure your always buffed up and keep vigor up and always apply pressure.
  • universal_wrath
    universal_wrath
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hey guys, with my Nord StamDk mainly for no-cp and battlegrounds what could be a good set to pair with new moon?

I know everyone run nma + fury or spriggan but even tho i keep all buffs and heals up i still get oneshot my 8 or 9k frags, 10k executioners, 9k assassin's scourge, 7k or more leaps.

Those are the crazy numbers I see, and even if run like 6k wd my heals seems to do nothing, I dunno if it's because of lag or because I am bad I really don't understand.

As monster set I run bloodspawn which is very good for dk, what other 2 sets i could run?

A defensive set is worth running?

I ask this because i see people that i focus like 1vs3 and just by popping vigor and rally they survive against my 6k wd and my team mates? Just how? I do the same and i get oneshot.

And plus they are not tanks with 35k hp, they have good damage too, and sometimes don't even LoS and facetank all.

I'm 90% sure that these numbers you mentioned arw critical strike. I know this because I main full meduim armor orc stamsorc, stamsorc is the stam class with least amount of resistance, I sit at around 16k with impen traits and I'm pretty sure that you will be atleast 20k phyiscal and 24k spell resistance on you nord stamDK. I get about the same dmg from skills mentioned above with my current resistance, but all this dmg is critical. Average nom critical dmg is 4-5k frags, 5-7k merciless, 4-6k excutioner depending on HP. If numbers you get are non critical, then maybe you get hit during armor buff down or stunned or under some disabling affect.
    Edited by universal_wrath on April 2, 2020 3:25PM
  • Mortiis13
    Mortiis13
    ✭✭✭✭
    Can't tell for endgame pvp as I'm in under 50 campaign at the moment. As a Nord with ancient dragon, potentat, undo and vampire 5medium/2heavy.I'm getting very tanky on my s&b bar and still be able to burst someone down.
    But without los it's hard to survive any 1vsx fight.
    I know it's the noob campaign but you will wonder how many pvp twinks are running around ;/.
    Only with a magsorce I can get away with a glasscanon build, their my dwfence is to streak over the complete map ;D
  • Kidgangster101
    Kidgangster101
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Soris wrote: »
    Wow sharpened mace is the new thing? I never knew.

Coming back to game after 1 year, im also struggling like the OP. I also have 6k wpn dmg, 12k penetration and 25k armor. Against some builds it feels like im hitting my head to a giant wall, barely doing some damage but taking ridiculous amounts of damage each hit. Idk if it's the off balance thing. It's just so weird. Also dizzying swing range feels like 22 meters when they used on me and 3 when i use lol. Maybe it's the lag

I wouldn't use sharpened trait. I always use nirn. Sns potentate's back bar is also great with temp guard ultimate as said above.

What I have noticed is I'm not much of a fan of fury personally (and I absolutely hate 5 heavy armor I always run 2 heavy and 5 medium). Nma is always frontbar and bloodspawn is monster. My other set I am about to try is clever alchemist good uptime and you can trigger it when you want not based off how much you get hit. I also love bone pirate or spriggans (if you can't get totanborn).

The last 2 sets that I know are good are shacklebreaker or dragonguard. I wish you luck with your build with all the info you got here.
  • katorga
    katorga
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    What seems to work best this patch is just pure speed - combined with the buggy performance this patch, things just miss, glitch or fail to fire. Let the server be your primary defense.
  • Kadoin
    Kadoin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    katorga wrote: »
    What seems to work best this patch is just pure speed - combined with the buggy performance this patch, things just miss, glitch or fail to fire. Let the server be your primary defense.

It's always been that way with speed lol...they never fixed the issues because they are likely physics problems in the game engine
  • Ecfigies
    Ecfigies
    ✭✭✭
    The classics setups still works for sDk, Impreg with Fury (CP) or New Moon it's quite suitable in this patch and also make you tanky enough to survive against good players and glass canon setups, both types of armor (heavy or medium) works also and can achieve with all buffs ups around 6k wd and great amount of sustain, if you have enough gold to buy prismatic glyphs you will be able to use Lava's Food and have a good amount of stamina recovery, I run 1.2k recovery and yet I don't see any need to sustain more. If you want to be more tanky I definitely recommend to use the psijic ulti on backbar and start farming Potentate's gear to use only NMA on frontbar and keep Impreg up all the time, it's a very tanky setup but also will lose some healing if you only frontbar NMA.

About the question of monster gear, Trollking with gold food is really good, plus Malubeth isn't a bad choice for DK. But Bloodspawn kinda sync too well with Nord and DK to drop.

Clever and NMA with potentate's backbar isn't a bad choice either, since you're playing in non-cp. Just be sure to know how to Cancel and also LoS, plus using major mending in the right time to burst heal. Rally/Vigor when proc Malubeth with Major Mending it's insane.

Not sure if this will be helpful but that's how I've been playing, also seeing some good other players playing it's a great choice to learn the class, Josh, Faso, Pelican.
  • GRXRG
    GRXRG
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ecfigies wrote: »
    Clever and NMA with potentate's backbar isn't a bad choice either, since you're playing in non-cp. Just be sure to know how to Cancel and also LoS, plus using major mending in the right time to burst heal. Rally/Vigor when proc Malubeth with Major Mending it's insane.

Only dodge cancel or bash cancel works for me, and those are not reliable as block cancel which is destroyed now, so how do i cancel? XD

Edited by GRXRG on April 6, 2020 4:29PM
  • Ecfigies
    Ecfigies
    ✭✭✭
    Ecfigies wrote: »

Only dodge cancel or bash cancel works for me, and those are not reliable as block cancel which is destroyed now, so how do i cancel? XD

Has to embrace the lag and praise the Lord Wrobel to CA works. Not much to do which increases even further the necessity of using a Defensive gear, just try to make some adjustments and have fun if nothing works just put some Meridia with NMA and receive hates.