Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

All of a sudden my ping is fixed

Tigertron
Tigertron
✭✭✭✭
Yesterday I logged on to do my writs and just like everyday since harrowstorm my ping was 600+

The only thing I did after that was run minion to update some add-ons and it was only 2. I downloaded Alyx and updated my Nvidia driver. The game was going to take 2 hrs to download so I went to bed.

This evening I log on and my ping is sub 100 avg. Highest I saw was 135. I did all 9 char writs and it was fine. It was obvious as soon as I logged in. No screen jitter or movement stutter. It ran smooth like I was used to.

Some people were saying they did not ever experience the lag like I did. So I don't know if something on the network, the new Nvidia driver or something at ESO that changed but today I am back to normal and I don't know why. I just hope it stays this way.

Anyone elses connection get better today?
Edited by Tigertron on March 26, 2020 4:27AM
  • Banana
    Banana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Buy a lotto ticket
  • Veles
    Veles
    ✭✭✭✭
    Same here and that was not ZOS's fault.
  • AWinterWolf
    AWinterWolf
    ✭✭✭✭
    Everything of mine is up to date, and my lag is still awful. Glad you found a fix though.
    @AWinterWolf, PC EU.

Main character: Healer, CP 1300+,
    Completed:
    vSS (Ice & Fire HM)
    vMoL Trifecta
    TTT
    vKA HMs
    vBRP
    All Dungeon Trifectas.

Favourite quote:

History is a story written by the victors, who often paint themselves the best of lights.
  • Malmai
    Malmai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is this ZOS account making stories, update minion and graphic card? Whats next restart your modem?
    Edited by Malmai on March 26, 2020 11:42AM
  • Ri_Khan
    Ri_Khan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Experiencing the exact opposite here. I just started seeing insane 999+ lag spikes last night during prime-time that made the game unplayable.
  • votan73
    votan73
    ✭✭✭
    ESO is an online game, so don't forget the network adapter driver.
    I installed the driver from the chip set vendor and do not use the Windows default driver.

Google "network adapter interrupt moderation" and read the answer "Should I disable interrupt moderation?"

I also increased the receive and send buffer size. Why? Because I can. :wink:

And I configured Windows with "TCP Optimizer". Read the docu about the parameters.

As mentioned serveral times already: This is not THE solution. But maybe it helps a bit. :blush:

And no, it will not help against neighborhood streaming what ever. :trollface:
    And WiFi is by design an unreliable media. The marketing thoughput is an average.
    Edited by votan73 on March 26, 2020 12:12PM
  • Tigertron
    Tigertron
    ✭✭✭✭
    I work in IT and repair intranet. So I am very familiar with how to quantify these types of problems. I only wish I had saved the forensics I did while trying to figure out where my issue was.

I did dungeons and wb today and the ping is solid. I'm still getting desyncs and have to mash the button over and over so that hasn't changed but the ping is a dream. Its been so long I forgot how smooth the video is.

So if others still have issues then I'm sorry to hear but your issue and mine were not the same.
  • Tigertron
    Tigertron
    ✭✭✭✭
    Ri_Khan wrote: »
    Experiencing the exact opposite here. I just started seeing insane 999+ lag spikes last night during prime-time that made the game unplayable.

Maybe we traded places. Sorry. That was my experience since update25. I bitched about it and others just said it sucks to be you. I couldn't stand playing. Even doing writs was painful.

I ran tracert and figured out how my route was getting to Texas. I also manipulated it to try other routes with no improvement. I concluded it was at ZOS end with there load balancing and just waited for something to get it fixed. Then bam. Overnight with nothing really changed on my end it's below 100 just like before update 25.
  • Ri_Khan
    Ri_Khan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tigertron wrote: »
    Ri_Khan wrote: »

Maybe we traded places. Sorry. That was my experience since update25. I bitched about it and others just said it sucks to be you. I couldn't stand playing. Even doing writs was painful.

I ran tracert and figured out how my route was getting to Texas. I also manipulated it to try other routes with no improvement. I concluded it was at ZOS end with there load balancing and just waited for something to get it fixed. Then bam. Overnight with nothing really changed on my end it's below 100 just like before update 25.

Sounds like it, give me my consistent connection back! The game was actually running kinda snappy since Monday too. I was beginning to think they fixed something but then these problems started while I was running a pug dlc pledge. Ping went red, everything froze, got dumped to the log-in screen. I reset the system and have had 999+ latency spikes that last 15-20 seconds every minute since. Yesterday it wasn't just during prime-time either, pretty much a constant. Cyrodiil was unplayable with those cute little load screens that stop you every 3-5 seconds; inventory, banker and merchant menus were super chunky, lagging out like the guild trader UI does all the time. Managed to do some fishing, crafting and festival stuff with a friend instead but it was quite painful.

My system and internet's fine, no other software's having issues. Maybe it's due to increased traffic from the "quarentine" and Jester Fest? Server can't handle it? Maybe it's akamai? Who knows?
  • Thoragaal
    Thoragaal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tigertron wrote: »
    Yesterday I logged on to do my writs and just like everyday since harrowstorm my ping was 600+

The only thing I did after that was run minion to update some add-ons and it was only 2. I downloaded Alyx and updated my Nvidia driver. The game was going to take 2 hrs to download so I went to bed.

This evening I log on and my ping is sub 100 avg. Highest I saw was 135. I did all 9 char writs and it was fine. It was obvious as soon as I logged in. No screen jitter or movement stutter. It ran smooth like I was used to.

Some people were saying they did not ever experience the lag like I did. So I don't know if something on the network, the new Nvidia driver or something at ESO that changed but today I am back to normal and I don't know why. I just hope it stays this way.

Anyone elses connection get better today?

I had the exact same issue during wednesday. Yesterday / Thursday was fine. Now the high latency is back.. my character isn't even properly animating it's animations. It's like my character get's stuck half-way- through wondering "what should I do next?" and then realize "Oh, I should hit, that's right" and continues the animation. Weaving takes more than twice as long.
    Picking up mail takes twice as long. Handing things in the bank takes twice as long.. it's insane!
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions.
    "I've always wanted to kick a duck up the arse" -Karl Pilkington, on the question what he'd do if it was the last day on earth.
  • JBNimble
    JBNimble
    ✭✭✭
    votan73 wrote: »
    And WiFi is by design an unreliable media.
    Just as reliable as the ESO server. Does that make the connection 2*(unreliable) or (unreliable)².

• Thoragaal
    Thoragaal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thoragaal wrote: »
    I had the exact same issue during wednesday. Yesterday / Thursday was fine. Now the high latency is back.. my character isn't even properly animating it's animations. It's like my character get's stuck half-way- through wondering "what should I do next?" and then realize "Oh, I should hit, that's right" and continues the animation. Weaving takes more than twice as long.
    Picking up mail takes twice as long. Handing things in the bank takes twice as long.. it's insane!

Just a quick update.
    Logged on the NA server: Latency +999, people are teleporting around only to freeze in place for 8-10sec and then teleport some more.
    Logged on the EU server: Latency is down to 68 and everything is fine.
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions.
    "I've always wanted to kick a duck up the arse" -Karl Pilkington, on the question what he'd do if it was the last day on earth.
  • daim
    daim
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I havent had issues for a long time. Now I'm having 2k latency

Edit: EU. And just spiked up to 8k
    Edited by daim on March 28, 2020 2:30PM
    ""I am that which grips the heart in fright, hearkens night and silences the light." It was written on my sword, long…long ago." ―Ajunta Pall
    PC|EU
  • agen.fi
    agen.fi
    ✭✭✭
    On PC EU ping is jumping all around 89-999+ and I have been disconnected twice in last 20 min..
    And now game is a slideshow...
  • inkstrider
    My ping at the NA server has been horrendous since the start of the Jester's festival. It's usually at about 200-300. But now, it's at an average of 500-600. I get 999+ at towns and several times even at dungeons, rendering the game unplayable.
  • inkstrider
    inkstrider wrote: »
    My ping at the NA server has been horrendous since the start of the Jester's festival. It's usually at about 200-300. But now, it's at an average of 500-600. I get 999+ at towns and several times even at dungeons, rendering the game unplayable.

This is PC NA btw.
  • Thokri
    Thokri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Still over 100 at best. Spikes going red, random loading screens on weird places and disconnects.

With other games it usualy hovers around 20-40ms : /
  • AWinterWolf
    AWinterWolf
    ✭✭✭✭
    I've been told the following:

Check your internet speeds
    Check who's on it
    'Maybe it's someone in your area'
    Maybe your wifi is down.
    It might be your laptop, have you tried a different computer?

DONE/CHECKED ALL THIS AND GUESS WHAT? NO CHANGE!

Edit: Sorry, early morning coffee brain makes me an idiot XD
    Edited by AWinterWolf on April 5, 2020 3:28AM
    @AWinterWolf, PC EU.

Main character: Healer, CP 1300+,
    Completed:
    vSS (Ice & Fire HM)
    vMoL Trifecta
    TTT
    vKA HMs
    vBRP
    All Dungeon Trifectas.

Favourite quote:

History is a story written by the victors, who often paint themselves the best of lights.