The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

[Video] just some 1vX 2vX 3vX Magicka Templar No-CP action for anyone interested

Taylor_MB
Taylor_MB
✭✭✭✭✭
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JwbrdmSHz50

Magicka Templar feels really outdated as the "healing class".
• Burst Heal - Sorcerer and Dragonknight both have better
• Heal Over Time - EVERY class has better heal over time options (many of them actually work as offensive heals, which sweeps really doesn't) (in my opinion)

However MagPlar still has so many unique skills in its toolkit (RIP Nightblade, everyone has Fear now) that it still feels amazing to play.
Defensive
Honor the Dead may be underpowered, but it has incredible in built sustain which allows for long periods of defensive plays that would grind other classes out of resources. Paired with resource return from Channeled Focus and liberal use of Mist Form, repositioning and kiting is very accessible. I crutch very hard on Extended Ritual, why heal damage when you can just stop it from happening?

Offensive
Burst damage from Purifying Light is both unique in its mechanics and incredibly effective at layering damage without relying on Proc Sets. Although the damage from Radiant Oppression is definitely less then (most) other executes, the utility of it being ranged and undodge-able has scored me many kills without needing to waste a GCD on a gap closer. Reflective Light providing Major Prophecy on cast is absolutely phenomenal, an extra 10% Critical Chance on a skill that most would use for the damage alone. Puncturing Sweeps... it's alright. 25% less damage to pretty much every stamina user, the heal is useless unless fighting against NPC's, but the AoE component makes it almost too effective against Nightblades (although we'll judge that if they ever fix Cloak).

One thing I can't sort out, what Monster Helm to wear???
Puncturing Sweeps no longer proc Skoria (may be old news to most, but came as a shock to me). Grothdarr has many wasted procs, already with an uptime of 50% the actual time it's doing damage is way less again. I even tried using Selene's (if Puncturing Sweeps doesn't count as a DoT for Skoira then surely it is direct damage?), but it's either not counted as melee or not counted as direct. Molag Kena is good... but getting the opportunity to do 2x light attacks is incredibly rare. I've now settled for miss matched head/shoulder, but it feels like a massive wasted opportunity, anyone have any suggestions?

Edited by Taylor_MB on March 22, 2020 1:02AM
PvP Defensive Set Comparison
Firestarter MagDK 1vX
- build and gamplay!
LagPlar Ranged Lag Proof(ish) Magplar
- build and gamplay!
ShadowGaurd MagBlade Group Utility Tank
- build and gamplay!
Oncoming Storm No-CP 11.6k Ward MagSorc - build and gamplay!
My YouTube Chanel

• GRXRG
    GRXRG
    ✭✭✭✭
    I am curious about your 5 pieces sets, you didn't show them in the video I guess. Many monster sets are actually good, bloodspawn is a staple one, engine guardian is surprisingly good for no cp, shadowrend can help you against single targets, maybe thorvokun is an upgrade and even better especially for outnumbers.
    Of course you can run 2 armor pieces monster sets if you feel too squishy and that works just fine (chudan + skelly or lord warden etc.).
    Some people even go zaan if they weave light attacks properly, but for 1vX is terrible.
  • Taylor_MB
    Taylor_MB
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    GRXRG wrote: »
    I am curious about your 5 pieces sets, you didn't show them in the video I guess. Many monster sets are actually good, bloodspawn is a staple one, engine guardian is surprisingly good for no cp, shadowrend can help you against single targets, maybe thorvokun is an upgrade and even better especially for outnumbers.
    Of course you can run 2 armor pieces monster sets if you feel too squishy and that works just fine (chudan + skelly or lord warden etc.).
    Some people even go zaan if they weave light attacks properly, but for 1vX is terrible.

My primary 5pc is Pariah, secondary I've been swapping between Bright Throat and Transmutation. So I'm hesitant to take Bloodspawn, a little too much defense XD. I just got nothing that really fits well into Monster Set (I would definitely try out Thorvokun, but I do not have the dlc...)
    Firestarter MagDK 1vX
    - build and gamplay!
    - build and gamplay!
    - build and gamplay!
    My YouTube Chanel

• MaxJrFTW
    MaxJrFTW
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Taylor_MB wrote: »
    One thing I can't sort out, what Monster Helm to wear???

If i still played magplar i'd be using Bloodspawn, or Thurvokun. Kena, or Slimecraw as the main offensive options.

Zaan, and Kjanar's Knightmare are two cheesy options to focus a single target.

Nightflame and Lord Warden are decent too, especially if you're playing with a group.

The Troll King makes you really tanky on a magplar if you drop vamp.

Grundwulf is a solid recovery set. Underrated imo.

Anyways, those are the sets i'd be looking at.
    "I don't know you, and I don't care to know you."
    ―Ulrich Leland, 3E 433
  • Dirt_Rooster
    Dirt_Rooster
    ✭✭✭
    I do personally like grothdaar for no cp, but I've also been trying out two crit pieces(specifically slimecraw and grundwulf for the weapon crit, running a greatsword). Slimecraw is another good option but I just use camo hunter for that... If I need defensives the 1/1 combo is better than bloodspawn imo, and yes grundwulf is pretty underrated
  • Kartalin
    Kartalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Indeed, @Dirt_Rooster , Grundwulf is like a mini-Amber plasm if you can proc it on cool down but also DLC which you may not have Tay.

I've been using bloodspawn for lack of another good idea. Sometimes I'll throw on 1 piece resistance buff (lord warden/chudan/pirate) and 1 domihaus (1.1k mag and stam) which is not bad. Chokethorn might not be bad in small scale.
    • PC/NA
    • Karllotta, AD Magplar, AR 50
    • Hatched-In-Glacier, DC Magden, AR 44
    • Miraliys, EP Warden, AR 35
    • Kartalin, AD Stamblade, AR 35
    • Kallenna, AD Magcro, AR 34
    • Miralys, EP Magsorc, AR 34
    • Milthalas, EP Magblade, AR 34
    • Lemon Party - Meanest Girls - @ Kartalin - Youtube
  • BNOC
    BNOC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I personally use grothdarr, I know what you’re saying about the uptime being wasted a fair bit as I do a lot of ranged weaving with reflective (don’t know why you’d take bane instead of reflective) but grothdarr gives me that extra umph when I gap close/I’m kiting etc.

I don’t agree about purifying, I do use it but it doesn’t compare to blast bones or sub assaults click and wait damage. I don’t know why we have to build ours up, it’s so easy to lose your pl target amongst many and all someone in a group needs to do is move backwards into the pack and you are storing the wettest sweep damage possible into that pl; wasted. 1v1 it’s great but I think even solar barrage or something would result in more effective vX performance, on the empower alone, let alone coupled with grothdarr and sweeps in close.

Also, ext ritual is nowhere near as useful as it used to be. It’s good but a dk alone can sit you up just as fast as you can cleanse it, especially when you’re fighting against poison users and people like that. Though, a must have in the arsenal.

I don’t like the need for mist form in Cyro but appreciate it’s effectiveness and it’s almost necessity on Templar.
    I play mostly BGs these days and have a better time without vampire, Using rat and general kiting/los to achieve the same thing, but I understand cyro is more open.

Good clips though, we can actually do some decent burst in no cp.

I did wonder whether one of you using dark flare instead of having 2 pls would be more effective though?

Slimecraw is nice and so is grothdarr imo. But I’d just go for what you’re short on or what’s tripping you up the most.
    vMSA - Magplar - Xbox EU - 15/11/16
    578,000 - 36 Minutes 58 Seconds (Top 2 World?)

vMSA - Magplar - Xbox NA
    569,000 - 40 minutes (350CP, Non optimised runs)
  • Taylor_MB
    Taylor_MB
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    BNOC wrote: »
    I personally use grothdarr, I know what you’re saying about the uptime being wasted a fair bit as I do a lot of ranged weaving with reflective (don’t know why you’d take bane instead of reflective) but grothdarr gives me that extra umph when I gap close/I’m kiting etc.

I don’t agree about purifying, I do use it but it doesn’t compare to blast bones or sub assaults click and wait damage. I don’t know why we have to build ours up, it’s so easy to lose your pl target amongst many and all someone in a group needs to do is move backwards into the pack and you are storing the wettest sweep damage possible into that pl; wasted. 1v1 it’s great but I think even solar barrage or something would result in more effective vX performance, on the empower alone, let alone coupled with grothdarr and sweeps in close.

Also, ext ritual is nowhere near as useful as it used to be. It’s good but a dk alone can sit you up just as fast as you can cleanse it, especially when you’re fighting against poison users and people like that. Though, a must have in the arsenal.

I don’t like the need for mist form in Cyro but appreciate it’s effectiveness and it’s almost necessity on Templar.
    I play mostly BGs these days and have a better time without vampire, Using rat and general kiting/los to achieve the same thing, but I understand cyro is more open.

Good clips though, we can actually do some decent burst in no cp.

I did wonder whether one of you using dark flare instead of having 2 pls would be more effective though?

Slimecraw is nice and so is grothdarr imo. But I’d just go for what you’re short on or what’s tripping you up the most.

Good analysis mate, thanks for the reply. Am using reflective, just fail at remember the morph names properly >.>. Edited OP.

I'd love to try out RAT instead of Mist, probably could reduce magicka regen, but alas, locking PvP sets behind PvE DLC isn't enough for ZoS, they have to lock skill lines as well :(.
    Firestarter MagDK 1vX
    - build and gamplay!
    - build and gamplay!
    - build and gamplay!
    My YouTube Chanel

• EtTuBrutus
    EtTuBrutus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like you're looking for an offensive monster set. Don't rule out bloodspawn. That regen is essentially 5 seconds off time between ultimates every time it procs. At 72? Ultimate, cresent normally takes 24 seconds to regenerate. With 2 blood spawn procs and passives in the dawn's wrath tree (let's say 4 casts proc it, essentially granting 3 ultimate every 3 seconds)you can turn a 24 second ultimate into a 12 seconds.

All that takes is for you to get a bloodspawn proc within 5 seconds of casting an ultimate, then another proc prior to the 12 second of regular combat.
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great music choices, @Taylor_MB ... Flogging Molly is well-timed a few days after St. Patty’s Day.
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    You’re using a staff front bar right? It’s hard to tell in the video.

I’d try kena, looks like you’re over sustaining a bit. Your mana never dropped below half, might be decent.
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • Taylor_MB
    Taylor_MB
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    EtTuBrutus wrote: »
    Sounds like you're looking for an offensive monster set. Don't rule out bloodspawn. That regen is essentially 5 seconds off time between ultimates every time it procs. At 72? Ultimate, cresent normally takes 24 seconds to regenerate. With 2 blood spawn procs and passives in the dawn's wrath tree (let's say 4 casts proc it, essentially granting 3 ultimate every 3 seconds)you can turn a 24 second ultimate into a 12 seconds.

All that takes is for you to get a bloodspawn proc within 5 seconds of casting an ultimate, then another proc prior to the 12 second of regular combat.
    Very good point, I've been using Crescent Sweep more lately, making it more spammable then it already is could be really powerful.

Great music choices, @Taylor_MB ... Flogging Molly is well-timed a few days after St. Patty’s Day.
    Flogging Molly is perfection with fast paced PvP clips, used many of their songs.

Iskiab wrote: »
    You’re using a staff front bar right? It’s hard to tell in the video.

I’d try kena, looks like you’re over sustaining a bit. Your mana never dropped below half, might be decent.
    Yeah Willpower Lightening staff front bar for a little extra power. That's a good point though, usually I only have Magicka issues when I'm just delaying an inevitable death, I'll definitely loose a regen enchant when server is back up and give it a shot.

I did use Kena for a bit, got one really good Meteor bomb off with it (wasn't recording cause I'm smart), but usually getting 2x LA just feels too slow.

Edited by Taylor_MB on March 23, 2020 8:31AM
    Firestarter MagDK 1vX
    - build and gamplay!
    - build and gamplay!
    - build and gamplay!
    My YouTube Chanel

• coletas
    coletas
    ✭✭✭✭
    Bloodspawn or maybe one chudan/pirate+1 domihaus. Dont know how u can play with 10k stamina!! Looking you are very magicka conservative, you can try ice staff. I usually use bloodspawn+bright+juliannos or going trollmode with pirate+chudan, bright and pariah (5 light+1+1 always). Anyway, the biggest change I ever done to my main is Bright set. That is a must. Molag never worked ok for my way of play, and grothdar is a lottery. I always end with bloodspawn and spamming crescent. For the way you play i would add darkflare (more for the healing debuff than the damage itself). Purifing, 2 dark flares ,charge with heavy attack and crescent sweep is a very demolising combo for the way you usually engage