The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Already a prob

drowadin
drowadin
✭✭
Why allow an addon that shows where all the glowing soulshards are on ur map??? If u did not have to find them then u didn't earn them. Come on next i will find out there is a pos ore and wood tracker wtf? Aslo make all addons be inspected by youre team before they can be downloaded and only from youre site.
  • seanolan
    seanolan
    ✭✭✭✭
    There is such an addon already. Why not, when a simple search on the internet can find all the information at your fingertips? Skyshard locations, ingredient/material locations, treasure map locations...none of this was secret information less than 20 seconds after the NDA went down...and probably before then. An addon just makes it show up on the map, instead of checking via alt-tab.
  • Jeremy
    Jeremy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    drowadin wrote: »
    Why allow an addon that shows where all the glowing soulshards are on ur map??? If u did not have to find them then u didn't earn them. Come on next i will find out there is a pos ore and wood tracker wtf? Aslo make all addons be inspected by youre team before they can be downloaded and only from youre site.

This is why I hate add-ons.

I had this same issue on other games. Especially in regards to PvP, when players would use add-ons that gave them significant advantages over other players. So this is likely to turn into a big issue for me as well.

Games shouldn't allow them and strictly prohibit their use. We should all be playing under the same rules as the game's design intended. Not scour the web for special perks that enhance our gameplay options.

I was tempted to download an add-on that allowed me to mark and save locations on my map. In the end I decided against it out of principle though.

The better route would be for us to ask developers to implement the features we would like to see into the game's official design.

• Vantor
    Vantor
    ✭✭✭
    drowadin wrote: »

Not this again... these addons just save you time. Nothing more. Eventually erveryone will have all the Skyshards. And anyway, their locations have been on fansites since early beta. Sorry for the tone but grow up a bit before posting about this matter while it's already been discussed a thousand times in these forums.
    Edited by Vantor on April 18, 2014 1:27PM
    Invictus EU Guild Officer
  • Wykkyd
    Wykkyd
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Back during EverQuest 1 there was no such thing as addons. The game forced you into full screen mode and wouldn't let you alt+tab. You were locked in and only had access to what the game showed you.

People still collaborated maps, shared them, printed them out, etc.

People still spoiled content. Quickly.

People wrote 3rd party apps to free their system so that they could alt+tab and use browsers, to force the game into windowed mode, etc, etc, etc.

People find a way, even back then. There is no chance if having a spoiler-free gaming environment in today's gaming world. Anyone that expects such a thing is fooling themselves, or is just oblivious to reality.

All the map addons do is bring the same thing you can see on websites into the game itself. What you're basically asking for here is to have these addons disabled so that people are forced to return to their web browsers for that information. Is that really what you want? I have three screens and a 2nd PC right beside me, so that change wouldn't hurt me in the slightest. But I'm in the minority there. The people you would be hurting are those with 1 screen and in that case you're really only causing a minor inconvenience. Alt+Tab twice versus pressing M...

*sigh*
  • Grawlog
    Grawlog
    ✭✭
    Look at this from a business perspective. If I'm ZoS, I want my community getting together, deciding on what features they'd like to see, and building those features themselves through add-ons. Players are going to think of a lot of things that the developers do not, and the developers don't always have the time or money to spend on adding these features in. It's a cost and time saver, as well as a breeding ground for new ideas.

Insert: add-ons. Having a strong add-on developing community and user base is a good thing. Add-ons enhance gameplay for many, many users. And, to go back to what someone said about unfair advantages through add-ons, keep this in mind: ZoS can decide what we have access to through the API. If they decide that they don't want us accessing certain information through add-ons, they can make sure we can't access it.

I think the solution is fairly simple here. If you don't like add-ons, don't use them. If you like add-ons, use them.
  • Drakkath
    Drakkath
    Jeremy wrote: »
    This is why I hate add-ons.

I had this same issue on other games. Especially in regards to PvP, when players would use add-ons that gave them significant advantages over other players. So this is likely to turn into a big issue for me as well...
    I dropped the part I wasn't addressing..

What you reference is NOT an addon, but an actual person that hacks the code and manipulates it to get an advantage. No addon I have ever seen, that was actually designed as an addon, ever gave you a full advantage. All they do is modify the UI and what only you see on your end.

Lets not confuse the issue. I personally am going to use the skyshard addon, because I plan on having multiple characters, and there's no way I'm going to remember every location.
    Edited by Drakkath on April 18, 2014 3:02PM