Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Does it make me a bad player if I only tank dungeons, because I know I'm not very good at DD?

• wsmith97ub17_ESO
    wsmith97ub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Oh boy, you are fine doing what you wish.

The above counts as your comfort seeking approbation.
    It is the mind, that is the mind, confusing the mind. Do not leave the mind, oh mind, to the mind.
  • Slothylicious
    Slothylicious
    ✭✭
    Raisin wrote: »
    As others have said, no, definitely not. You don't have to be a master of all. If you're a good tank, and you play tank, you're a good player. You don't need to be theoretically good at something you're not actively playing to somehow get you MMO street cred.

I WILL say however, that at least getting reasonable experience in all roles will help you become better at your chosen role. You don't have to be good at them in the end, just gain some details on the perspectives you wouldn't even usually think to ask, and you will end up synergizing on a completely different level with your groups.
    It's not a must, like nothing in the game is (just wanna make clear you don't have to torture yourself haha), but I do think it's worth it and I've definitely met my fair share of players where you could tell that that kind of experience was lacking and holding them back in comparison to others.

This is solid advice.

Also, NB is a good choice for a tank. Very strong self healing. With silver bolts existing and DK's engulfing flames being close to useless for a tank, any class can tank.
    Edited by Slothylicious on February 27, 2020 6:55PM
  • dazee
    dazee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Tanks in this game are really awful to play compared to other MMOs I've played, so whoever is willing to suffer through it is appreciated as long as ZOS still requires us to have a tank for random pugs.
    Playing your character the way your character should play is all that matters. Play as well as you can but never betray the character. Doing so would make playing an mmoRPG pointless.
  • Shantu
    Shantu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I would encourage you not to think in terms of good or bad. While getting more proficient at any role will help you succeed in harder content, I would suggest thinking in terms of "fun". Because if whatever you're doing in a game is not fun, then the concepts of good and bad are irrelevant. So just do what you enjoy and be "good" with it. :)
  • butterrum222
    butterrum222
    ✭✭✭
    DDs are a dime a dozen but a truly good tank is a diamond in the rough. You should be proud of your tank ( assuming you know what you’re doing lol)
  • JanTanhide
    JanTanhide
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not at all! I know some that only Tank as you do and others that only run Healers. And of course many or most also play DPS.

So have fun and do what you enjoy in this game! Tank away!
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Being adaptable and filling a group need (filling the tank spot) automatically makes you better than your average player. It’s usually the poor players who ‘only dps’.
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • kylewwefan
    kylewwefan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    (My tank is also a Flawless Conquorer to alleviate any thought of self doubt and inspire confidence in teammates)

Usually, I only tank for pugs🤪
  • Grianasteri
    Grianasteri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You do you.

If you like tonking, why wouldnt you focus on tonking?

If you are a good tonk, why would you be considered a bad player? There is no rule or even general consensus that one should fulfil all roles.

Personally I am focused on dps right now, but I also very much enjoy healing and tonking. In fact the role I perform best in is probably healing, yet I have not really healed at a high end for months. Thats just they way my game play flows right now. Nothing more to it.
  • Drdeath20
    Drdeath20
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No a bad pve player is somebody who is absolutely clueless like a damage dealer slotting 2 resto staves or a tank that does not taunt.
  • redgreensunset
    redgreensunset
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kesstryl wrote: »
    I guess the question you have to ask yourself is, are you happy being a tank? Or do you want to be dps but are afraid to? If you are happy being a tank, then by all means and Razum Dar's mohawk, keep being a tank. I also lack skill and dexterity due to carpal tunnel and don't dps in vet content, so I mainly heal or tank. Honestly I love tanking. I love being the meat bag being tossed around with the apocalypse raining down on me, but I'm not 100% awesome at it yet. I shine best as healer, and I like that too because it's easy and less stressful in group content. I find dps rotations to be extremely stressful and hard on my hands, plus with all the addons peeps have where they can brag about their numbers quite frankly embarrasses me, so I mainly solo quest content on dps or do normal group stuff. Figure out what role you actually love, and do the work needed to be great at it, and just enjoy yourself.

I rolled two healers (one pure healer and one who is also an off tank) for much the same reason as ypu, though in my case it's arthritis that's the problem. I agree with most except the 'less stressful'. I mean it can be, until you get a group where everyone, DD as well as tank, rush around like headless chicken. Then suddenly it is the most stressful job. Like ffs, stand still and let me heal you! XD
  • yodased
    yodased
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Best dd in the world still needs a meatshield my friend. 3dd and a tank very possible because they can self heal but can't self tank.

You are a needed member of the team and game as a whole and if you are good at tanking i would say that makes you more than a good player.
    Tl;dr really weigh the fun you have in game vs the business practices you are supporting.
  • Rahar
    Rahar
    ✭✭✭✭
    "Comparison is the thief of joy." - Teddy Roosevelt
    NeRf MaGsOrC
  • Protossyder
    Protossyder
    ✭✭✭✭
    The unwillingness to even try and get better at something you don't have much experience in is what makes you a bad player in my opinion. Nobody can blame you for trying, but you can be blamed for defying any advice and help while doing something you are unfamiliar with.
    In the end it's your decision tho.
    Characters worth mentioning:
    Daedrós - Magicka DK - Altmer - PvE & PvP - Emperor - IR - GH - TTT
    Dragybor - Stamblade - Redguard - PvE (first char)
    Yondaime Raikage - Stamsorc - Redguard - PvP
    Zerg Overmind - Magblade - Altmer - PvE - GH
    Yenari - Magsorc - Altmer - PvE - Flawless Conqueror
    Devoured-his-siblings - DK Tank - Argonian - PvE - Unchained
    Valkyrja Valhalla - StamDK - Redguard - PvE
    Hyperion der Obere - Magplar - Altmer - PvE
    Affa al'Dschinni - Stamplar - Orc - PvP
    Enjoys-the-slaughter - Templar Healer - Argonian - PvE
    Hades Adamastos - Stamcro - Orc - PvE
    Khaba the Cruel - Magsorc- Altmer - PvP
    Hekate Ourania - Magcro - Atlmer - PvE - TTT
    Arenas: vDSA (~46k) - vMA (~586k)
    Trials: vAA hm - vHRC hm - vSO hm - vMoL hm (~161k) - vHoF hm (~218k) - vAS+2 (~114k) - vCR+3 - vSS hm - vKA hm

PC - EU
  • Hotdog_23
    Hotdog_23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    As long as you are having fun and enjoying your time in ESO that’s all that matters.
  • validifyedneb18_ESO
    validifyedneb18_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Honestly, I'm a little confused by this existential (in ESO) question, and thus decided I wanted to put it here.

I should stress, nobody has called me a bad player for a very long time. I only tank, as the title suggests, and if I do get a comment, it's usually "You tank with a Nightblade?!" XD

No, the idea that I might be a bad player comes entirely from myself, and my own thoughts.

Now, given that I freely admit I'm a bit rubbish at DD, would I be right in thinking like this? Or am I actually making a good choice by focusing on the role that I'm actually good at?

I guess I'm just curious as to what kind of player this all makes me.

Many thanks in advance. <3

In my experience, the vast majority of the playerbase is complete dog*** at this game, the fact that you're even on the forums asking if you're good enough pretty much indicates you're a decent player - and miles better than the majority of the player base who have seemingly never considered how to improve or how good they are.

I reccomend you install CM to get a decent idea of where you are at. On a badly build character or a sub 50, anything above 10k is more than competent. On a good build, anything greater than 25k makes you a good player. Its all about practice, enjoy the process of getting better, or stick to tanking if you feel more comfortable there.
    EU: Magden, Magknight, Stamsorc(*2), Magsorc
    NA: Magplar, Magden, PotatoBlade
  • TwiceBornStar
    TwiceBornStar
    ✭✭✭✭
    I guess I'm just curious as to what kind of player this all makes me.

Hey, it's a game, and games are meant to be played by anyone who wants to play them. The more players a game has, the longer a game exists. Simple. If this game was meant to be played by ''elite'' players only, then this game wouldn't exist in the first place?

Don't worry about what kind of player you are. Worry about what kind of person you are. Oh, and don't forget to have fun while you're in Tamriel!