Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Combat is Clunky

• snoozy
    snoozy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    it's super slow and unresponsive, i hate it :unamused:
    might be lag
    PC EU
  • Sanguinor2
    Sanguinor2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Also getting microlags/freezes in Dungeons, really annoying when it happens during a boss heavy attack and you just die since you dont see it Happening.
    Politeness is respecting others.
    Courage is doing what is fair.
    Modesty is speaking of oneself without vanity.
    Self control is keeping calm even when anger rises.
    Sincerity is expressing oneself without concealing ones thoughts.
    Honor is keeping ones word.
  • The_Lex
    The_Lex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Last night, block canceling was clunky at best; sometimes it would work, other times not. And I noticed that some skills couldn’t be block canceled at all when they could be pre patch.
  • Tryxus
    Tryxus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yeah, I've noticed with certain skills, like the Warden's Netch, that I can't quickly block cancel the remainder of the animation after firing it.

And with the game feeling a bit unresponsive at times, combat feels really sluggish. It's annoying >_>
    "The Oak's Promise: stand strong, stay true, and shelter all"
    Tryxus of the Undying Song - Warden - PC/EU/DC
  • The_Lex
    The_Lex
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The_Lex wrote: »
    Last night, block canceling was clunky at best; sometimes it would work, other times not. And I noticed that some skills couldn’t be block canceled at all when they could be pre patch.

Just to add, I could bar swap cancel like before, but I couldn’t reliably block cancel at all.
  • Qbiken
    Qbiken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Just to add, I could bar swap cancel like before, but I couldn’t reliably block cancel at all.

Same here. Barswap cancel and dodge roll cancel still work to a certain degree (since those actions are still made on the client side), but the changes made to block cancel looks and feel awful. I sincerely doubt that block cancel previously being client side had such large impact on performance and desyncs that it had to be reworked. I'm not buying it......
  • Vahrokh
    Vahrokh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Well, after having ruined this game in every possible way, all we had left was the fluid combat experience.

Now, we have removed that too.
  • LordGavus
    LordGavus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Clunky? Feels the same to me.
    However i do play with 300-350 ping so its always clunky for me.
  • JayJayIsSoJay
    JayJayIsSoJay
    ✭✭
    I've noticed some odd changes, both good and bad but still, pretty weird. Swallow soul is going out way better and you can block bash cancel it very smoothly, it just goes out super fast and I can barely see it hitting the target(still getting used to), if u cancel the animation perfectly the skill just flies at the speed of light, same goes for skills like spectral bow. The block bash cancel on Race Against Time makes the skill go out in a blink! it's feeling very fast. On the other hand, mass hysteria and cloak cannot be block canceled like it used to, if you do the cancel too quick the skill won't go off, merciless resolve and siphoning attacks has the same issue, make the skills feel clunkier than before. So basically, light attack cancel on cloak and fear works better than block cancel, canceling an animation alone with block isn't working very well, light attack or block bash tho is fine.

Oh yeah, and the bar swap problem, if you're blocking and bar swap, the block goes away a have a delay.
  • MaGicBush
    MaGicBush
    ✭✭✭
    So I finally tried more combat last night including pvp. I still noticed hardly any change. It seems fine to me, if not smoother. I don't have lag issues or anything either though. Always around 60-100 fps, and less than 100 ping. I'm guessing people are running into latency issues and the combat is not really clunky.
    Edited by MaGicBush on February 26, 2020 2:36PM
  • MirkoZ
    MirkoZ
    ✭✭✭✭
    Casterial wrote: »
    Am I the only one noticing how clunky combat is feeling? It feels way less fluid and some skills just do not go off now. Everything feels like it has a 0.01second cast time on it for the animation to play and sometimes if you block too quickly it just won't register the other skill at all now.... We went from a high skill cap with fluid combat to skill floor with clunky combat?

I know its a "learn to play" issue, but some parts of it just feel clunky and not working as intended.

~6years of ESO to finally see combat lose a lot of its fluid movement and feel its had since the start.

It could be.... The combat change for animation doesn't apply to all skills, only some? So we're like 30-50% of the way there?

I have the same issue
  • SeaUnicorn
    SeaUnicorn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In PVE my character feels like it's swimming in rubber D: Skill don't go off, LAs don't go off unless I execute my rotation rrrreeeeaaaallly ssssllllooooowwww. It's such a painful experience. Everything feels off.
  • Casterial
    Casterial
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SeaUnicorn wrote: »
    In PVE my character feels like it's swimming in rubber D: Skill don't go off, LAs don't go off unless I execute my rotation rrrreeeeaaaallly ssssllllooooowwww. It's such a painful experience. Everything feels off.

Yeah changes like this should be testing extensively and only be released with a chapter, not in a season.
    Daggerfall Covenant:Casterial Stamplar || Casterial DK || Availed NB || Castyrial Sorc || Spooky Casterial Necro
    The Order of Magnus
    Filthy Faction Hoppers

Combat Is Clunky | Cyordiil Fixes

Kill Counter Developer
    For the Daggerfall Covenant
    The Last Chillrend Empress
    Animation Cancelling
  • Squidgaurd
    Squidgaurd
    ✭✭✭
    Mr_Walker wrote: »
    Casterial wrote: »
    Am I the only one noticing how clunky combat is feeling? It feels way less fluid and some skills just do not go off now. Everything feels like it has a 0.01second cast time on it for the animation to play and sometimes if you block too quickly it just won't register the other skill at all now.... We went from a high skill cap with fluid combat to skill floor with clunky combat?

I know its a "learn to play" issue, but some parts of it just feel clunky and not working as intended.

~6years of ESO to finally see combat lose a lot of its fluid movement and feel its had since the start.

As someone with that super high Aussie ping, this all just sounds like my regular gameplay.

we dont all live in a third world country.
  • heaven13
    heaven13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    SeaUnicorn wrote: »

Oh god, yes. Light attack weaving is not working well, wall of elements isn't casting but my magicka cost and action duration reminder indicate that it has been cast (even though there's no effect on the ground), etc. Parsing is just painful.
    PC/NA
    Mountain God | Leave No Bone Unbroken | Apex Predator | Pure Lunacy | Depths Defier | No Rest for the Wicked | In Defiance of Death
    Defanged the Devourer | Nature's Wrath | Relentless Raider | True Genius | Bane of Thorns | Subterranean Smasher | Ardent Bibliophile

vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vDSA | vMoL HM | vHoF HM | vAS+2 | vCR+2 | vBRP | vSS HM | vKA | vRG
    Meet my characters :
    IT DOESN'T MATTER BECAUSE THEY'RE ALL THE SAME NOW, THANKS ZOS
  • precambria
    precambria
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's not L2P issue, there is an extreme input lag on skills now I can press a key 5-6 times before the actual skill registers as "supposed to go off" and than it frequently will not work, add to that PVP combat and it rockets to me being able to input 12+ times the skill I want to use with it NOT working, bars won't swap, break free does not work, buffs will not cast, abilities which are meant to be instant have up to 2 seconds of delay.

It's not ping, I have had 80 ping and still had up to a full second of inputs in the OVERLAND with skills not going off, the game is now broken as far as I am concerned. I already uninstalled and cancelled my subscription until they acknowledge that this is happening, because until they do this is gaslighting their costumers with this silence because not everyone is getting the same delay and many will think it's on their end thus wasting time or effort on something which should be confirmed as a issue with the new changes
  • D0PAMINE
    D0PAMINE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I will be happy if they just speed up animations a bit, and improve skill casting so they fire off with one key press more reliably.
  • Casterial
    Casterial
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    D0PAMINE wrote: »
    I will be happy if they just speed up animations a bit, and improve skill casting so they fire off with one key press more reliably.

Part of the consistency issue I feel..
    Daggerfall Covenant:Casterial Stamplar || Casterial DK || Availed NB || Castyrial Sorc || Spooky Casterial Necro
    The Order of Magnus
    Filthy Faction Hoppers

Kill Counter Developer
    Animation Cancelling
  • dazee
    dazee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yes, you are the only one. I cant tell any difference from pre patch.
    Playing your character the way your character should play is all that matters. Play as well as you can but never betray the character. Doing so would make playing an mmoRPG pointless.
  • heaven13
    heaven13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Not only is combat clunky as I mentioned above but both I and my group will sometimes be unable to move or cast skills; we're not rooted or stunned, just...can't do anything except light attack.

As for light attacks, they're not firing reliably between skills. I use Light Attack Helper so I can keep track of whether they go off or not and pre-patch I generally had around a .7 weave. Post-patch I'm lucky to hit .45.

Every patch I get closer and closer to my final breaking point. Combat riddled with bugs like this really detracts from the enjoyment I get when running harder group content and that content is currently what's keeping me playing right now.
    PC/NA
    Mountain God | Leave No Bone Unbroken | Apex Predator | Pure Lunacy | Depths Defier | No Rest for the Wicked | In Defiance of Death
    Defanged the Devourer | Nature's Wrath | Relentless Raider | True Genius | Bane of Thorns | Subterranean Smasher | Ardent Bibliophile

vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vDSA | vMoL HM | vHoF HM | vAS+2 | vCR+2 | vBRP | vSS HM | vKA | vRG
    Meet my characters :
    IT DOESN'T MATTER BECAUSE THEY'RE ALL THE SAME NOW, THANKS ZOS
  • depravity_influence
    this is pathic and expected. They always seem to f_k up something good while trying to improve something else. i really hate what is happening to not just combat but to also the game. there no fix for it in the future either. looks like ill have to spend my time & money else. Thank you developers for messing up something that was once fun. your "improvements" suck azz
  • Jakx
    Jakx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When they change the coding for non-combat pets, its going to fix all the lag and performance issues. Can't wait.
    Joined September 2013
  • Fajin
    Fajin
    ✭✭✭
    Maybe my brain not working correctly lel but when I use on ground skills they sometimes don't go off and my rotation gets messed up. I don't know the cause honestly my mouse is totally fine and internet is alright.
  • Casterial
    Casterial
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jakx wrote: »
    When they change the coding for non-combat pets, its going to fix all the lag and performance issues. Can't wait.

wat
    The Order of Magnus
    Filthy Faction Hoppers

Kill Counter Developer
    Animation Cancelling
  • Vaoh
    Vaoh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Will ZOS address any of this though? It’s not like they don’t know.

So far all we’ve got is massively increased censoring on these forums and silence regarding actual fixes.

The fact they would purposely take a working mechanic, Block, and ruin it..... we all told them it was not reliable in Harrowstorm PTS, they did not listen. I have a feeling this is their response to all of the current combat fluidity issues. Same with ultimate cast times, same with the animation changes years ago, same with homogenization of all skills.
  • DaveMoeDee
    DaveMoeDee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Things feel weird with the tank I'm leveling. Everything is really awkward and it makes it a lot harder to get skills or even blocks to fire.
  • D0PAMINE
    D0PAMINE
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Skills feel awful. They double cast , are slow, or refuse to fire. It's extremely aggrivating. Block doesn't work properly either.
  • Casterial
    Casterial
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The new changes they're talking about also are very worrying. I'm taking a long break from this game until its fixed sadly.

I wasn't minding the small changes but if you add these animation changes in (Which are clunky, inconsistent.) And add them with the potential changes coming out what is already a bad churn and just makes me question the identity of ESO over the last 5+ years.

I've played since beta and these drastic changes are worse than the stat boost 1.4->1.5-6

Also the server performance is not better at all. It feels damn awful the main server is almost impossible to play in solo from 2PM to 12AM it just doesn't feel great sitting at 200 ping but skills feeling like theyre 5 seconds(5000ping) off.

Hopefully ZOS does something about their game I dont think they use game servers they just use 1 server which would explain this awful lag.
    The Order of Magnus
    Filthy Faction Hoppers

Kill Counter Developer
    Animation Cancelling