The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Combat is Clunky

• Sanctum74
    Sanctum74
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Casterial wrote: »
    Sanctum74 wrote: »
    My small group of 52 haven’t noticed any change at all, light attacks op 🤪

Which comes down to... Did they do this to empower zergs and weaken small scale? I find this being "server stability" change a lie.... Theres so many other options. While more expensive, would be less expensive in the long run than the constant iterations.

It seems most of the changes in the past year have been to empower zergs. Sadly I spend most of my in game time in the forums or zone chat because of the performance and so called balance changes. Miss the good ole days when there were small scalers, solos, and zergs all over the map. 3x the population cap and half the lag. What happened?
  • Edziu
    Edziu
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Edziu wrote: »
    Morgha_Kul wrote: »
    Am I the only one noticing how clunky combat is feeling? It feels way less fluid and some skills just do not go off now. Everything feels like it has a 0.01second cast time on it for the animation to play and sometimes if you block too quickly it just won't register the other skill at all now.... We went from a high skill cap with fluid combat to skill floor with clunky combat?

I know its a "learn to play" issue, but some parts of it just feel clunky and not working as intended.

~6years of ESO to finally see combat lose a lot of its fluid movement and feel its had since the start.

You want clunky, try playing The Old Republic Online (especially a melee character), or Lord of the Rings Online... really, any of the older games, with the possible exception of D&D Online.

ESO is actually way more fluid than most games I've played.

idk how are/was these games..but I guess they was just created this way which you mean

while ESO was nnot created such clunky way, this was so energetic, living, fast combat, not becaome so slow and clunky in just 1 day which never was like that

while also every newer content which was releasing it was with mind of possibilities to do it - so meta gear, high cp and in it skilled gameplay with ani cancel for faster, more effective fights with time
    while now we are going back insted further with progress because of this change to animations...ZOS is adding newer proc sets for PVE dps to recompensate delete of rewards of skilled gameplay to try to stay with overall endgame dps on same level as it was...but only if you have grinded another PROC setc

yep, nothing better in game than gear doing dps instead of you

It also comes down to the team should finally let us players / know what they want out of the game. Changing a game so drastically patch after patch is bad for the game in the long run. Iterations like this should have happened early stages 2013-2015 and not 5 years into the game. Its semi-great that they're taking actions, but changing the game so much churns loyal players out quickly.

yep, I know

not for no reason 90% of my friends which was playing on early this game they dont play it anymore, they was loyal players becasue we everyone had nonstop ESO+ active

one of lately big stupid steps was dot buffing and nerfing into almost uselesness completly changing game mechanics from just 1 patch to next
    now we have this...where combat was great for most time since beta...most time, not alays because of started adding more and more cast times to some skills and then now...almost completelly removing animation cancel which is even more painfull with time of animation in many skills...where some skills are really very fast, have shorth animation ending on "insta-cast" skill which anyway have animation longer than cast time abilities....
  • Draxys
    Draxys
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It’s been clunky for a while, certainly before these “performance” changes.

This is what we get after people cried about animation canceling for years.
    Edited by Draxys on February 26, 2020 2:36AM

rip decibel
  • MishMash
    MishMash
    ✭✭✭✭
    Am I the only one noticing how clunky combat is feeling? It feels way less fluid and some skills just do not go off now. Everything feels like it has a 0.01second cast time on it for the animation to play and sometimes if you block too quickly it just won't register the other skill at all now.... We went from a high skill cap with fluid combat to skill floor with clunky combat?

I know its a "learn to play" issue, but some parts of it just feel clunky and not working as intended.

~6years of ESO to finally see combat lose a lot of its fluid movement and feel its had since the start.

YES! I've noticed an issue with block!!! I've been running vMA daily for about a month now (sometimes 4 times a day). Running it that much you have enough experience to know if something wasn't right. Well, the first run after the patch I noticed that block was NOT RIGHT. I am so curious if anyone else noticed this.
    PC NA DC 4eva! I try my very best. If it is not good enough for you too bad! Playing off and on since April 2014 CP2009.
  • karekiz
    karekiz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Did VBRP/HM for both the new dungeons today on my tank. Honestly, didn't notice a change on my end.

DPS didn't say anything, maybe they just didn't say it, but didn't seem to be some huge difference I think.
    Edited by karekiz on February 26, 2020 3:32AM
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    My weaves feel fine. If I use a gap closer, they feel better. block cancel or bar swap cancel feels unreliable though
    Edited by technohic on February 26, 2020 3:43AM
  • Rioh
    Rioh
    ✭✭
    As soon as any latency spikes begin to occur it takes 5+ button mashes for an ability to begin to fire.

There is nothing like playing solo in Cyrodil and encountering a 1vX situation knowing you would have survived if your keystrokes were recognized by the server and fired your abilities.
  • Morgha_Kul
    Morgha_Kul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Morgha_Kul wrote: »

You want clunky, try playing The Old Republic Online (especially a melee character), or Lord of the Rings Online... really, any of the older games, with the possible exception of D&D Online.

ESO is actually way more fluid than most games I've played.

We're comparing ESO post and pre patch not other games. Please keep to the topic. I'll also like to mention, I've played probably 20-30 MMOs in the last 5years or so. I like ESO, but this patch is not feeling like ESO it feels more like GW2 in a way.

Ya, I got that. It's what I get for posting before reading everything.
    Exploring Tamriel since 1994.
  • Firebrand10
    Firebrand10
    ✭✭✭
    Combat feels incredibly clunky and unrewarding. It seems that ZoS doesn't want a game with a skill cap anymore, let alone a high skill cap. Soon enough most abilities will have cast times and animation canceling will be entirely removed. Most abilities are just reskins at this point aswell.

And too think all of these horrible changes could have been avoided if ZoS listened to feedback from non-casuals.
  • mocap
    mocap
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since they removed block skip, combat is a bit clunky. One step closer to disable animation skipping entirely. That Russian interview with dev could be no that joke as you think.
  • Tiitus
    Tiitus
    ✭✭✭✭
    Feels the same to me, only thing I wished the changed is “use on key press” instead of “release”.
  • Loves_guars
    Loves_guars
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to my life you just described how is to play cancel animation from south america. You get used to it and stop caring about being top dps, you start to enjoy other things in the game. Or you quit I guess.
  • MincVinyl
    MincVinyl
    ✭✭✭✭✭

TLDR included at bottom, mainly a history rant of movement and how its poor changes lead to other poor changes

Movement as a whole was butchered back in murkmire, mainly due to swift jewelry being introduced into summerset. Before summerset movement speed/snares were not much of an issue. Here is the general history of how movement got so bad in eso.

The only problem back then (pre-summmerset) was that mag users did not all have a universal snare removal tool. In general, not everyone needed one though, sorcs had streak, dks could hold their own, templars purged, nbs could cloak and I believe had snare immunity on blur back then. Another issue back then was that shuffle cost too much and the immunity didnt last long enough. If a mag user wanted guaranteed movement they could elusive mist, and if they wanted a snare/root purge and major expedition all in one, they could pop mist then swap cancel it into sprint.(now removed) Major Expedition was also something that was a major choice in a buildpath, do you run movement speed pots and lose buffs like major savagery? A zerg that doesn't care about speed as much could technically have the leg up on you in combat by having that major buff that you chose to drop in order to maintain speed.

During summerset everyone ran swift, which brought any build close to the movement speed cap with 100% uptime. This brought up problems where two fighting players would be moving so fast in combat they would technically both be too far from each other. Even if some abilities were cast, the players would have moved so far away that by the time the server goes to calculate it thought they were out of range of the ability.

After Murkmire snare immunities and speed buffs were reduced to generally 4 seconds. Movement speed pots were reduced to a third the uptime, meaning it is a waste to make that choice for speed pots(pushing players to all run similar abilities to gain speed). Since players are now choosing to run 4sec speed abilities and have 4sec snare immunities you end up with the stop and go movement(I compare it to the kids game"red light green light"). Note you wont get the 4 secs, since casting the ability wastes a global cooldown. Then casting two in a row wastes 2 gcds. So if you pop a snare immunity>speed buff>sprint you will only get 2 secs of sprinting before you get snared/rooted again.(clunky feeling, where things feel like they are not working and have to keep getting reapplied). This feeling got really bad, when you had a zerg chasing you that can afford to spam snares/roots, but now you cant afford to keep dropping immunities, speed, and sprints. This also brought upon the frost warden meta, where one player could cause a group of players to come to a standstill.

An example in detail of how this trickled along and caused further silly changes, TLDR included at bottom

Dizzy worked wonders pre summerset. It was an engaging ability to use since it required two direct aim checks on an enemy. It was a long cast so you needed to be good at using movement, reading if enemies were rapidly changing direction. It was rewarded with a heavy hit and a knockup which could be utilized to pick apart enemy groups near ledges. Counterplay was straight forward for both sides. The defender could block the hits and stun guaranteed by block cancelling abilities, or roll dodge the hit. The attacker would have to learn to cancel the cast and recast to try to trip up the rhythm that the defender was playing at with their block cancelling or roll dodging. Then the defender would have to resync to the rhythm. etc.

Now, since murkmire gutted speed and immunity to short buffs, players were only getting one dizzy off per the new movement rotation (immunity>speed>dizzy>snared again) at best you could get 2 dizzys off before you were snared/rooted again. All of a sudden the medium to low tier players who used dizzy could no longer utilize the ability. Zos responds by lowering the damage, making it a shorter cast, and removing the second aim check(Point and click easy spammable now). At the same time onslaught(arguably the strongest ult at the time) became a copy and paste of corrosive instead of its previously unique and fun playstyle. This leads to issues of players just doing a now easy to land dizzy into an insta kill onslaught, then if the player lived, one executioner hit as hard as onslaught did. This leads zos to remove the knockup which was the heart and soul of dizzy for a long time. Replacing it with a gimicky offbalance knockdown that is not linked to any animation(removing the rythm of counterplay from the game). We also get sliding bugs from the knockdown which feel terrible when your character wont break free for 1 or 2 gcds and is completely defenseless.

Along with the removal of the knockup was another damage reduction (now at 26% reduced damage) The intent of reducing the damage was that if a player spammed the dizzy over the course of a minute, due to the shorter cast they would net more damage. I would not count the offbalance extra damage into effect since alot of dizzy builds prior would use exploiter cp to have offbalance anyways. If anyone played dizzy however, most people have always played it as a one hit burst since movement was so trash that you only could land that one dizzy before going into buffs/defense again so being able to hit multiple dizzys was an issue. This leads to zos seeing that players are having trouble sticking to other players to land multiple hits, and since dizzy was now effectively losing 2/3 uptime on offbalance damage and stun they figure adding a snare would allow players to stick to their target to be able to spam easier. So essentially dizzy ended up losing 36% damage and a fluid knockup for a gimicky knockdown and snare on a braindead spammable.

TLDR

Dizzy was once a skillful ability on both sides. Now it has been reduced to a brainless spammable to allow the lower tier players to be able to land the skill due to previous poorly thought out changes in the game that gutted the movement mechanics necessary to land the ability. All because zos introduced something that broke the game, instead of doing the smart thing and balancing what was added, zos decided to blanket nerf every source of the same mechanic aswell.

This trend of making a change that breaks the game, then blanket nerfing similar things that are perfectly fine in the game is what leads to terrible sense of balance and will never lead to a fun and engaging experience for anyone. Older and newer players constantly feel frustrated each patch when the patch by patch blanket nerfs lead to complete meta flops in gear/classes/abilities in order to stay relevant.

Examples talked about:
    introduced swift> everyone is too fast> nerf every form of movement in the game...then nerf swift(not used in meta anymore)
    reworked onslaught> players are getting one/two shot > heavily change the entire 2h playstyle that has been fun for years.
    Edited by MincVinyl on February 26, 2020 5:49AM
  • Muskrap
    Muskrap
    ✭✭✭
    L_Nici wrote: »
    I read about it all the time, but really I have no issues. Combat feels extremely well and fluent with the block change, it doesn't look so clipped anymore if you cancel, overall it looks and feels way nicer than pre patch.

Okay, so this definitely tells me that you aren't good at PvP. Anyone that says its fluent with the block changes plays like a potato. Last patch everything felt generally in place, i didnt have to wait for animations to go off before i could block or do something else. Now? Block cancelling is the least of the problems compared to you getting stuck in break free animations because the inputs are straight up less reactive.
  • Casterial
    Casterial
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    MishMash wrote: »

YES! I've noticed an issue with block!!! I've been running vMA daily for about a month now (sometimes 4 times a day). Running it that much you have enough experience to know if something wasn't right. Well, the first run after the patch I noticed that block was NOT RIGHT. I am so curious if anyone else noticed this.

Yeah I had to button mash and it felt like it was casting.
    Daggerfall Covenant:Casterial Stamplar || Casterial DK || Availed NB || Castyrial Sorc || Spooky Casterial Necro
    The Order of Magnus
    Filthy Faction Hoppers

Combat Is Clunky | Cyordiil Fixes

Kill Counter Developer
    For the Daggerfall Covenant
    The Last Chillrend Empress
    Animation Cancelling
  • jircris11
    jircris11
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I was wondering if it was just me, seems to be a small input delay.
    IGN: Ki'rah
    Khajiit/Vampire
    DC/AD faction/NA server.
    RPer
  • Casterial
    Casterial
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Muskrap wrote: »
    L_Nici wrote: »
    I read about it all the time, but really I have no issues. Combat feels extremely well and fluent with the block change, it doesn't look so clipped anymore if you cancel, overall it looks and feels way nicer than pre patch.

Okay, so this definitely tells me that you aren't good at PvP. Anyone that says its fluent with the block changes plays like a potato. Last patch everything felt generally in place, i didnt have to wait for animations to go off before i could block or do something else. Now? Block cancelling is the least of the problems compared to you getting stuck in break free animations because the inputs are straight up less reactive.

Yeah... Something is off and I really wish the combat team would talk about why they changed combat in a major way ... Like in game development we usually don't do this on a live game so frequently...
    Daggerfall Covenant:Casterial Stamplar || Casterial DK || Availed NB || Castyrial Sorc || Spooky Casterial Necro
    The Order of Magnus
    Filthy Faction Hoppers

Kill Counter Developer
    Animation Cancelling
  • radiostar
    radiostar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Part of the reason why it's clunky is because some of us were getting fps of 90-100 consistently, and after this patch we're lucky to see 70-80, if that. Ya, clunky is a nice way of putting it.
    "Billions upon Billions of Stars"
  • Ermiq
    Ermiq
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In terms of animations it's way more fluid now. In terms of LA weaving it's just the same. In terms of block, it's a bit buggy: the block sometimes doesn't work if I press the right mouse button right after a skill or LA, no matter how long the button is held, there's no block. But at the times when it works, it feels pretty nice.
    Also, the game now feels much more responsive like if there's not that many microlags and microfreezes as it has been before.
    And they have tuned the physics, character now doesn't fly off every little rock and stair, it sticks to the ground better and now when you move around you really feel like you're moving around instead of flying off, stumbling, losing ground and getting stuck in obstacles.
    One of the two of us definitely has gone mad. It only remains to define whether this one is the whole world or just me.

PAWS (Positively Against Wrip-off Stuff) - Say No to Crown Crates!

Sick&tired of being kicked off from your house when you complete a dungeon? ComingBackHome addon is what you need!
    Me is russian little bad in english :b
  • Casterial
    Casterial
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ermiq wrote: »
    In terms of animations it's way more fluid now. In terms of LA weaving it's just the same. In terms of block, it's a bit buggy: the block sometimes doesn't work if I press the right mouse button right after a skill or LA, no matter how long the button is held, there's no block. But at the times when it works, it feels pretty nice.
    Also, the game now feels much more responsive like if there's not that many microlags and microfreezes as it has been before.
    And they have tuned the physics, character now doesn't fly off every little rock and stair, it sticks to the ground better and now when you move around you really feel like you're moving around instead of flying off, stumbling, losing ground and getting stuck in obstacles.

I think my biggest issue is how the animation changes doesn't apply to every skill, for example Claw, rally, execute, they have the old one while Vigor, Igneous, and Breath have the new one... It should apply to all.
    The Order of Magnus
    Filthy Faction Hoppers

Kill Counter Developer
    Animation Cancelling
  • Septimus_Magna
    Septimus_Magna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The fps issues are annoying but the latency issues are almost game breaking, hopefully its only temporary because my dps was literally cut in half. I dont like the changes to block one bit, it feels like I get hit through block often while tanking, but this could also be latency related ofc.

Another thing that was really weird, my sustain was terrible while some skills have been reduced in cost.

I hope all the animation cancelling haters are happy now, we got a taste of what combat feels like when its unresponsive.
    PC - EU (AD)
    Septimus Mezar - Altmer Sorcerer
    Septimus Rulanir - Orsimer Templar
    Septimus Desmoru - Khajiit Necromancer
    Septimus Iroh - Dunmer Dragon Knight
    Septimus Thragar - Dunmer Nightblade
    Septimus Jah'zar - Khajiit Nightblade
    Septimus Nerox - Redguard Warden
    Septimus Ozurk - Orsimer Sorcerer
  • Eormenric
    Eormenric
    ✭✭✭
    This Murkmire event has particularly crippled the health of servers and made several instances of "clunkiness", even if you aren't in Murkmire. It didn't help to have Update 25 on top of that.

The most noticeable issue is inputs not registering because of the above circumstances, throwing off rotations and survivability. Because of that, yes, the fluidity of combat has been temporarily lost and it feels clunky, off, and overall unsatisfying.

When I experience a reprieve from these issues, I think combat is just as fluid as it's always been and visually looks better--as this combat change was to make everything flow better together.

I do think they are working to smooth out these problems, but it just feels like they have less determination to do so. I'd love to see an announcement of a full push to wipe out bugs and the like BEFORE new content is added. I'd be okay with no events for a month if it meant the game would continue forward with better stability.
  • Vanos444
    Vanos444
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eormenric wrote: »
    I do think they are working to smooth out these problems, but it just feels like they have less determination to do so.
    Yes, they are...but not for me or you nor for the community. Only for new players that are whales.
  • Kronuxx
    Kronuxx
    ✭✭✭✭
    Combat does feel clunky. It also feels like there is input lag even when just cancelling skill whether block or bar cancelling. I seriously hope ZOS tries to hash out the combat fluidity with this new patch, but I'm not holding my breath....
    Edited by Kronuxx on February 26, 2020 8:36AM
  • Faulgor
    Faulgor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Completely opposite for me, I even get microfreezes while crafting now. Game feels much less responsive in general, even menus don't work sometimes.
    Alandrol Sul: He's making another Numidium?!?
    Vivec: Worse, buddy. They're buying it.
  • actosh
    actosh
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The way block cancel animations get displayed has been changed. There's a vid from Gilliam about it. If this is the issue your talking about. Personally I haven't noticed much of a change.
  • Qbiken
    Qbiken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree, game feels clunky, slow and unresponsive. The rework to some animations and block cancelling makes the game feel slow. I'm aware of what changes was made to it and how it works so no need to link gilliams explanation, but even outside of that, many animations is super slow.
  • Jaxaxo
    Jaxaxo
    ✭✭✭✭
    Like ppl said before. Clunky.
    Also, even without animation cancelling Cyro pvp seems extremely unresponsive, buttons need to me smashed for skill to go off, sometimes with long delay.
    Forum War - pro AC side

EU PC Azura Star/Sotha Sil/Bahlokdaan/Ravenwatch
    Triggered Tryhards / Aetherius Art / LND / DC-PD

DC - Frostitute magden
    AD - Pees-under-Trees magden
    DC - Lemme Dark Deal stamsorc
    EP - Lemme Dark Déal stamsorc
    Youtube
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tanking feels horrible, *** is hitting me through block, and break free (for example vFV 3rd boss where i run around getting spheres) sometimes just dont fire for 3 seconds spamming the buttons. And yes, i do have stamina while blocking.
  • Nemesis7884
    Nemesis7884
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Faulgor wrote: »

Completely opposite for me, I even get microfreezes while crafting now. Game feels much less responsive in general, even menus don't work sometimes.

exact same for me....never had this before