The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Mother's Sorrow and Julianos Help

Joe_90
Joe_90
Soul Shriven
Many of the builds I see for most magicka chars utilise MS and Julianos at the beginning. All seem to have MS weapons slotted. As I can craft Julianos weapons and armor, is there any downside to substituting in Julianos weapons and running with two extra MS armor parts to keep the 5 and 5 set pieces? I have read that some sets can only be front or back bar but these two seem not to have any such requirement. Help appreciated.

Best Answers

• Jackey
    Jackey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No there's no downside for it.
    You can start thinking about MS staff when you get a Maelstrom destro.
    PS | EU
    Answer ✓
  • TheRealCherokeee3
    TheRealCherokeee3
    ✭✭✭
    When your learning, sets and names take precedence. But over time you'll get a feel for your class, for their strengths and weaknesses and you'll see why builds are often set up as they are-in the case of back barring a weapon for example, and you'll begin to build more off stats than set names. Here in the sets you stated, the goal is to maximize crit usually. So back barring either wouldnt be a prudent use of these static sets. When a back bar item comes into play, your goal is in utilizing a unique effect that "carries over" once you bar swap. Example: the VMA staff. This buffs your damage to enemies in your wall of elements. So, you could "back bar" the staff to buff your attack, then swap to your front bar where your full set is and get the benefits of both the staff and set. Since this is typical in many end game setups, people tend to aim for having organized set arrangement; one full set on the body, and the second full set comprising of jewelry and weapon. It's a cleaner approach to bar swapping a unique weapon, but also streamlines your transitions between sets if your in a situation that calls for different gear. One other example in keeping with magic based setups for you: Spell Strategist. This buff to spell damage carries over when you bar swap. So in this build you could run 3 jewelry and have your spell strat staff only for one bar. On the starting bar you would light attack once to gain that buff, then barswap to any other staff of your choosing and still maintain that spell strat buff even though technically your now only showing 3 our of 5 for the set. Make sense? For now as your learning and managing your gold, your just fine to run MS and Juli in a hodgepodge arrangement on your character. But it will be good to build that habit over time of consistency in arrangement of sets on your character. That's my two cents being a mag sorc since 2015.
    Answer ✓
  • Joe_90
    Joe_90
    Soul Shriven
    Great news, thanks for replying
  • TheGlowfish09
    TheGlowfish09
    Soul Shriven
    Agree with this - no real reason other than clean organization and ease of gear swapping. The stats will be the same, and you can worry about cleaning up what pieces go in what slots later once you get more experience and have access to more resources (gold and dungeon drops, etc).
  • Skullstachio
    Skullstachio
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another thing to note @Joe_90, critical damage is mostly a by-product at this point (unless going for a critical build.), because in most cases, penetration should be factored in as abilities can’t always deal their full length of damage without a side of physical/spell penetration to help pull bigger numbers.

8590 penetration is about the bare maximum you should shoot for as stacking that on top of Minor/Major Fracture/Breach and alkosh(if playing with a group that has that set.) will allow for near maximum damage output.

But if anything, try replacing julianos with new moons acolyte. The 5% increased resource cost is a small price to pay, but the added penetration, critical chances and huge weapon/spell damage it gives is more than enough to make even the most novice of players powerful if utilised correctly.
    I know what you di-Iddly did... (you would be wise not to do that again during a time when Suspicion in the gaming space is at an all time high.)
    by not actually revealing real drop tables in the game for all items, you only prove what has been proven with proof of concept that you can/will manipulate item drop chances based on certain elements performed by the player.
  • TheRealPotoroo
    TheRealPotoroo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another thing to note @Joe_90, critical damage is mostly a by-product at this point (unless going for a critical build.), because in most cases, penetration should be factored in as abilities can’t always deal their full length of damage without a side of physical/spell penetration to help pull bigger numbers.

8590 penetration is about the bare maximum you should shoot for as stacking that on top of Minor/Major Fracture/Breach and alkosh(if playing with a group that has that set.) will allow for near maximum damage output.

But if anything, try replacing julianos with new moons acolyte. The 5% increased resource cost is a small price to pay, but the added penetration, critical chances and huge weapon/spell damage it gives is more than enough to make even the most novice of players powerful if utilised correctly.

Alcast tested NMA and found it made no noticeable difference to his usual beginner setups (Mother's Sorrow or Julianos) and that's before taking the 5% cost into account, which made it not viable.

https://alcasthq.com/eso-new-moon-acolyte-set-guide/
    PC NA, PC EU

"Instead of taking the best of the dolmens (predictable rotation), the best of the geysers (scalability based on number of players), and the best of the dragons (map location and health indicators) and adding them together to make a fun and dynamic world event scenario, they gave us....... harrowstorms." https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/6850523/#Comment_6850523
  • dazee
    dazee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I've been playing since pre One Tamriel on and off, and still dont have a Maelstrom anything. Dont want to put myself through that just for a weapon to do a few 1000 more dps. maybe when I chance upon an OP enough build I like.
    Playing your character the way your character should play is all that matters. Play as well as you can but never betray the character. Doing so would make playing an mmoRPG pointless.
  • FrancisCrawford
    FrancisCrawford
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Joe_90 wrote: »
    Many of the builds I see for most magicka chars utilise MS and Julianos at the beginning. All seem to have MS weapons slotted. As I can craft Julianos weapons and armor, is there any downside to substituting in Julianos weapons and running with two extra MS armor parts to keep the 5 and 5 set pieces? I have read that some sets can only be front or back bar but these two seem not to have any such requirement. Help appreciated.

No.

When you're starting out it makes loads of sense to have your weapons be crafted, your jewelry dropped, and your actual armor mixed/matched to wind up with five pieces (counting staff as two) from each set.

Edited by FrancisCrawford on February 21, 2020 3:28AM
  • Joe_90
    Joe_90
    Soul Shriven
    Thanks all for your help and for taking the time to reply. I feel a lot happier now I haven't wasted a ton of gold and mats on the gear being the wrong way round. I'm more of a quest person than going for BiS builds so I'm happy with my monster set and J+MS as I can hit over 30k dps which is more than enough for PVE (I'm not including trials as I don't have time for these and my fingers are too old to get a 'spot on' rotation).

Again, thanks for all your input, 'tis really appreciated.

PS. What do you use to see your penetration as this is a hidden stat?
  • BeamsForDemacia
    BeamsForDemacia
    ✭✭✭
    Combat metrics Shows the Penetration on each target in the recap, or there is/was an addon called pen test which also Shows the Penetration on the target u Focus atm
    IR/GH/TTT/GS [MEDUSA]
  • Grianasteri
    Grianasteri
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Alcast tested NMA and found it made no noticeable difference to his usual beginner setups (Mother's Sorrow or Julianos) and that's before taking the 5% cost into account, which made it not viable.

https://alcasthq.com/eso-new-moon-acolyte-set-guide/

Very interesting results, and a tad surprising. It makes me rethink the use of New Moon entirely.

Id like to have seen him test it with Julianos, but also more than this test it without Perfected False God... because that is a Veteran trial set and if we are discussing beginner set ups or easy set ups, I think using Perfected False God is problematic, you have to have a good trial group and be of a certain standard to have any chance of obtaining it.

A better beginner/easy test may have been to run Julianos as the base gear, then see how Mothers Sorrow and New Moon match up. I imagine the actual outcome would be similar but I guess its the principle. A lot of newer folks will not have access to False God, never mind the perfected version.
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Since MS weapons are rare and expensive, and this is a beginner setup, running Julianos weapon on front bar is a better option since you can craft it. If you don't have Maelstrom staff yet you can even craft another staff for the back bar and leave it purple.
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • TheRealCherokeee3
    TheRealCherokeee3
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks all for your help and for taking the time to reply. I feel a lot happier now I haven't wasted a ton of gold and mats on the gear being the wrong way round. I'm more of a quest person than going for BiS builds so I'm happy with my monster set and J+MS as I can hit over 30k dps which is more than enough for PVE (I'm not including trials as I don't have time for these and my fingers are too old to get a 'spot on' rotation).

There's addons I believe if your PC? us console pleebs have to do the math.
    - Light armor passive (Concentration) 4884
    - Lover Mundus 4196 (7 Divines) 2752 0 divines
    - Sharpened Trait 2752
    - Spinners Set 3450
    - Major Breach 5280
    - Minor Breach 1320
    - Erosion tree this can max at 5280 but as always CP have diminishing returns
    - Infushed + Torugs Crusher 2741
    - Roar of Alkosh 3010

Its been a while so I may be off on some of those numbers. All in all PvE wise the usual rule is to aim for 18,200 pen. If in a group you can forgo some of these methods of gaining pen as you'll have them via group buffs ect.
  • p00tx
    p00tx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Asardes wrote: »
    Since MS weapons are rare and expensive, and this is a beginner setup, running Julianos weapon on front bar is a better option since you can craft it. If you don't have Maelstrom staff yet you can even craft another staff for the back bar and leave it purple.

You can obtain the MS lightning staff for completing an easy overland quest in Deshan. Lightning is obviously not anywhere near BiS, but it's a start for a newbie player, and can help them with the resource management issues that plague low level players.
    PC/Xbox NA Mindmender|Swashbuckler Supreme|Planes Breaker|Dawnbringer|Godslayer|Immortal Redeemer|Gryphon Heart|Tick-tock Tormentor|Dro-m'Athra Destroyer|Stormproof|Grand Overlord|Grand Mastercrafter|Master Grappler|Tamriel Hero
  • Kahnak
    Kahnak
    ✭✭✭✭✭

60% percent of the players in the game can't do 30k DPS, so you're on the right track.
    Tombstone Reads: "Forgot to get good"