The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Sudden Bad Latency Issues

Hoss62
Hoss62
Soul Shriven
I'll preface by saying I've NEVER, in 4 years had an issue with latency, dropped packets or lag in general. My latency normally runs 60-90 ms. As of midday today (12:00 PM EST) on the NA server, I started getting spikes over 1200. While running Sunspire spikes grew to 14k ms, resulting in long screen freezes but I never got disconnected.

So I checked my router's firmware, up to date. Did a few latency tests, to global servers, google, amazon, and on my network in general. Other than Bangkok (225 ms), my latency was around 35 ms.

The game is not playable for me like this. I'm looking for anyone's experience with this, especially if it was as recent as today. I've not been able to find any information from ZoS on it, and really, I'm at a loss as to what direction to pursue in my troubleshooting efforts.

Thanks in advance for any help.
  • Hip_Uncle_Z
    Hip_Uncle_Z
    ✭✭✭
    I'm also having the same issue, with no responses outside of the unhelpful "Oh it's fine for me!" comments from posters.

To test my connections, I first reinstalled FFXIV, WoW, Destiny 2 and Guild Wars, with latency around 30-45 depending on the game. Ookla pings are under 10ms, with my Gigabit internet.

Getting similar spikes in my latency as you. It's recent as of the last week. Between 1000 and 12k.

I dug into it more and while I see only a handful of posts here about it. However, there's a bunch on Social Media, as far back as when the Activity Finder was fixed.
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    There are currently connection issues affecting all megaservers today (02/12/2020). Updates will be posted when there is more information.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • GhostOfAnEra
    GhostOfAnEra
    ✭✭✭
    I've been getting latency spikes ever since Elsweyr was released. Alas, no solution has been helpful...
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    @GhostOfAnEra

Have you gone through the latency troubleshooting in our help article linked below?

What do I do if I have bad latency in game on PC/Mac?
    Staff Post
  • Nyqwont
    Nyqwont
    ✭✭
    I've had terrible lag spikes since the latest patch. Talking to many guildmates and players in zonechat, it's not just me. And yes, I have done the things the tech support replies ask. ie, port forwarding, power cycling router, anti-virus. Nothing fixed it as the settings were previously set and i doubt it's something on the user end for so many since the patch...
  • GhostOfAnEra
    GhostOfAnEra
    ✭✭✭
    ZOS_BillE wrote: »
    @GhostOfAnEra

Have you gone through the latency troubleshooting in our help article linked below?

What do I do if I have bad latency in game on PC/Mac?

Yes. Everything I could do! Nothing has worked -_-
  • Wittychick42
    Wittychick42
    ✭✭✭
    I'm suddenly getting extremely bad lag, as well. I logged in again after (having issues logging in with error 200 when the lag spikes first hit), and its sitting at 999 from the get go. I'm not in a heavy pop zone
  • Lethallin
    Lethallin
    ✭✭✭
    I’ve been getting pretty bad lag for the past week or so. I keep getting disconnected from the server, at least 4 times every 15 minutes....
    Master Outfitter
    Formerly on Xbox NA server, CP 1009 (Joined October 15, 2017)
    Avela Hlaalu: Dunmer Mag DK
    Mends-the-Stars: Argonian Warden Healer
    Arainai Sulah'Nehn: Breton Magplar
    Zevrana Fen'Ris: Orc Stamblade
    V'Laste: Altmer Magblade
    -Hot: Breton Mag DK
    Necromina: Breton Necromancer Healer
    -Cute: Orc Stamcro
    Eletania Valarian: Breton Templar Healer

Now on PC NA server, CP 380 (Joined December 26, 2019)
    Avela Hlaalu: Dunmer Magcro
    Mender of Stars: Khajiit Warden Healer
    -Fenris: Bosmer Stamden
    Mends-the-Guars: Argonian Nightblade Healer
    -Lavellan: Breton Templar Healer
    -Solas: Breton Magblade
    -Vakarian: Breton Magsorc
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    For anyone still experiencing latency issues and you've went through the troubleshooting posted above, please go ahead and contact customer support for further assistance.
    Staff Post
  • SilverPaws
    SilverPaws
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Same here. Getting ping spikes 400-999+ ping in all zones.
  • Stevie6
    Stevie6
    ✭✭✭✭
    This is a known issue among the player base and it won’t be fixed until ZOS recognizes that fact that our connections are being throttled by software at the server connection point or bad hardware. It’s been happening for about a 1.5 years now. My connection to Dallas, TX is great...31 ms. Hit the server..179 ms. While in game it goes from 59ms to as high as 15,000 ms. It’s really bad in dungeons averaging about 400ms with spikes of 999+ ms. It’s not US. IT’s THE SERVER. But like I said..it will never get fixed and they will always tell you to fill out a ticket that won’t go anywhere.

The devs don’t have to nerf anything because the connection within the server will get you killed. Lol.

• Septimus_Magna
    Septimus_Magna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I also had issues yesterday in Sunspire, other than that I didnt notice any latency issues.
    PC - EU (AD)
    Septimus Mezar - Altmer Sorcerer
    Septimus Rulanir - Orsimer Templar
    Septimus Desmoru - Khajiit Necromancer
    Septimus Iroh - Dunmer Dragon Knight
    Septimus Thragar - Dunmer Nightblade
    Septimus Jah'zar - Khajiit Nightblade
    Septimus Nerox - Redguard Warden
    Septimus Ozurk - Orsimer Sorcerer