The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

New Puncturing Strikes

Amorpho
Amorpho
✭✭✭✭
I've been taking a break for a couple of months now, but I am keeping an eye on the game to make sure I stay on top of the changes for when I come back.

I noticed Puncturing Strikes is not classed as a DOT anymore but rather as Direct Damage. I guess Thaumaturge does not affect this skill anymore? Also, is it still considered as AoE? Because I am wondering whether I should keep wielding a lightning staff instead of a flame one. Is there anything else about this skill that I should be aware of? Should I still run 75 points in Thaumaturge for the Exploiter passive? I hear they are changing Off-balance mechanics as well...
The Gaming Rev
YouTube channel - https://youtube.com/c/TheGamingRev

Characters

PVE
Magicka Sorcerer, Altmer - Master Crafter
Magicka Templar, Altmer
Magicka Nightblade, Breton
Stamina Nightblade, Khajiit

PVP
Magicka Sorcerer, Altmer
Magicka Templar, Altmer
Stamina Templar, Orsimer
Stamina Dragonknight, Dunmer
Stamina Warden, Orsimer

Aldmeri Dominion - 1700+ CP

XboxOne EU
  • Amorpho
    Amorpho
    ✭✭✭✭
    Amorpho wrote: »
    I've been taking a break for a couple of months now, but I am keeping an eye on the game to make sure I stay on top of the changes for when I come back.

I noticed Puncturing Strikes is not classed as a DOT anymore but rather as Direct Damage. I guess Thaumaturge does not affect this skill anymore? Also, is it still considered as AoE? Because I am wondering whether I should keep wielding a lightning staff instead of a flame one. Is there anything else about this skill that I should be aware of? Should I still run 75 points in Thaumaturge for the Exploiter passive? I hear they are changing Off-balance mechanics as well...

Oh yes, and is it still classed as a Channelled Ability?
    The Gaming Rev

Characters

PVE
    Magicka Templar, Altmer

PVP
    Magicka Sorcerer, Altmer
    Magicka Templar, Altmer
    Stamina Templar, Orsimer
    Stamina Warden, Orsimer

XboxOne EU
  • Akinos
    Akinos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's still an AoE, and it's still a channeled skill, however it's now a direct damage skill and thaumaturge doesn't affect it anymore. I would only keep points into thaumaturge if you are using devouring swarm or DoT heavy build.
    Edited by Akinos on February 18, 2020 10:02AM
    PC NA | @AkinosPvP 1vX/Small Scaler, Raid Leader, Youtuber and Twitch.tv Streamer.MAGICKA MELEE IS LIFE!Magplar, MagDK, Magden, Magblade, Magsorc & Magcro PvP/Build videos & moretwitch.tv/akinospvp
  • Amorpho
    Amorpho
    ✭✭✭✭
    Akinos wrote: »
    It's still an AoE, and it's still a channeled skill, however it's now a direct damage skill and thaumaturge doesn't affect it anymore. I would only keep points into thaumaturge if you are using devouring swarm or DoT heavy build.

Does purifying light count as a DoT? Or is it DD?
    The Gaming Rev

Characters

PVE
    Magicka Templar, Altmer

PVP
    Magicka Sorcerer, Altmer
    Magicka Templar, Altmer
    Stamina Templar, Orsimer
    Stamina Warden, Orsimer

XboxOne EU
  • Stx
    Stx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Purifying light is still direct damage. It's still worth putting 75 into thamaturge because exploiter is a huge damage boost.
  • MashmalloMan
    MashmalloMan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Stx wrote: »
    Purifying light is still direct damage. It's still worth putting 75 into thamaturge because exploiter is a huge damage boost.

That sounds debatable, I'd like further clarifcation on this 1. It's still worth it to do like 40/44/48/52 points, but beyond that there is a large portion of deminishing returns. You could put those stats elsewhere especially since dots are the weakest they've ever been and the spammable is no longer a dot.

But IDK, just speculating. I'd like some hard math here.
    PC Beta - 1900+ CP

Stam Sorc Khajiit PvE/PVP Main || Stam Sorc Dark Elf PvP ||
    Stam Templar Dark Elf || Stam Warden Wood Elf || Stam DK Nord || Stam Necro Orc || Stam Blade Khajiit

Mag Sorc High Elf || Mag Templar High Elf || Mag Warden Breton || Mag Necro Khajiit || Mag Blade Khajiit
  • MashmalloMan
    MashmalloMan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh and at OP, Off balance was really only changed for PVP and PVE trash mobs. Bosses already had 7s on off balance, 15s CD. The changes were made to make it behave the same throughout all aspects of the game, most likely because..

1) It's more simple and ZOS really loves simple math recently

2) They've made off-balance available on a ton of abilities in the past year and it was becoming an issue in pvp.
    Edited by MashmalloMan on February 19, 2020 1:29AM
    PC Beta - 1900+ CP

Stam Sorc Khajiit PvE/PVP Main || Stam Sorc Dark Elf PvP ||
    Stam Templar Dark Elf || Stam Warden Wood Elf || Stam DK Nord || Stam Necro Orc || Stam Blade Khajiit

Mag Sorc High Elf || Mag Templar High Elf || Mag Warden Breton || Mag Necro Khajiit || Mag Blade Khajiit
  • Amorpho
    Amorpho
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh and at OP, Off balance was really only changed for PVP and PVE trash mobs. Bosses already had 7s on off balance, 15s CD. The changes were made to make it behave the same throughout all aspects of the game, most likely because..

2) They've made off-balance available on a ton of abilities in the past year and it was becoming an issue in pvp.

I should have specified that my focus is PvP. Yes, I am aware of these changes to Off Balance and the fact that I won't be able to exploit "Exploiter" as much through toppling charge, which makes me rethink 75 points in Thaumaturge. Yesterday, just by shifting some points from Thaumaturge, I achieved a 7% increase in Direct Damage. Has anyone run any solid math about it? My gut feeling is that the general reduction of dots damage and off-balance having a cool down in PVP has made 75 points in Thaumaturge redundant..
    The Gaming Rev

Characters

PVE
    Magicka Templar, Altmer

PVP
    Magicka Sorcerer, Altmer
    Magicka Templar, Altmer
    Stamina Templar, Orsimer
    Stamina Warden, Orsimer

XboxOne EU
  • MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I should have specified that my focus is PvP. Yes, I am aware of these changes to Off Balance and the fact that I won't be able to exploit "Exploiter" as much through toppling charge, which makes me rethink 75 points in Thaumaturge. Yesterday, just by shifting some points from Thaumaturge, I achieved a 7% increase in Direct Damage. Has anyone run any solid math about it? My gut feeling is that the general reduction of dots damage and off-balance having a cool down in PVP has made 75 points in Thaumaturge redundant..

Stamplar here. Zero points in thaumaturge, on all builds. Dots are useless this patch imo.
  • Amorpho
    Amorpho
    ✭✭✭✭

Stamplar here. Zero points in thaumaturge, on all builds. Dots are useless this patch imo.

Yes, but stamplars have far less dots
    The Gaming Rev

Characters

PVE
    Magicka Templar, Altmer

PVP
    Magicka Sorcerer, Altmer
    Magicka Templar, Altmer
    Stamina Templar, Orsimer
    Stamina Warden, Orsimer

XboxOne EU
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, but stamplars have far less dots

Stamplar also has plenty in that tree to get exploiter without thaum so it really doesnt matter.

This next patch, I think you are best off without thaum on magplar on most normal builds. Check the build editor site. It has some flaws that it misses, but should get your tooltip change correct to coincide with CP tweaks you do.

https://en.m.uesp.net/wiki/Special:EsoBuildEditor