Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Which classes are viable as ranged DPS?

Wuggums47
Wuggums47
✭✭
Hi, I just started playing again recently after quite a few years away. I was wondering which classes are best for ranged DPS. I'm not the biggest fan of melee and prefer to keep my distance. I know that sorcerer is a good choice, but are there any other classes that do well from a distance?
  • Taleof2Cities
    Taleof2Cities
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unless you're one of the few playing end game PvE or PvP content (or are chasing leaderboards), all classes are viable for ranged DPS, @Wuggums47.
  • KillsAllElves
    KillsAllElves
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mag sorc
    Warden archer with those bird things can be real nasty with the right build.
    Edited by KillsAllElves on January 13, 2020 12:23AM
  • MerguezMan
    MerguezMan
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Wuggums47, it depends what kind of content you're going to, and what kind of build you expect:
    - there are good bow-bow builds. Most imply Sorcerer, Nightblade, Warden or Necromancer.
    - there are lots of ranged magicka builds for all classes

If you don't like contact at all, Nightblade is quite good at disappearing.
  • Grianasteri
    Grianasteri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wuggums47 wrote: »
    Hi, I just started playing again recently after quite a few years away. I was wondering which classes are best for ranged DPS. I'm not the biggest fan of melee and prefer to keep my distance. I know that sorcerer is a good choice, but are there any other classes that do well from a distance?

Pretty much all of them. It depends how you build the character. That said, depending on if you are a Magica or Stamina focused character, some classes can be easier or more efficient to use due to the class skills and passives they have.

For instance for Stamina, Wardens and Nightblades seem to fare well at range.
  • thadjarvis
    thadjarvis
    ✭✭✭✭
    Generally, either Bow/Bow or Magika

Max Range options: Necro, Sorc, NB
    Ranged but not max options: Warden (Scorch), Templar (Ritual/Barrage)
    Shortest Range: DK (various close range skills)

Honestly don't know where Stam Templar would be. It's my current main stamina but never thought to try bow/bow bc Stamplar's prowess is it's powerful melee skill.

That is in light of your ranged playstyle goal, which is generally for solo play. In most group content, it is generally superior for many reasons to be close together and usually in or near melee range. So the mid range options really aren't an issue if you plan to play with others most of the time.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unless you're one of the few playing end game PvE or PvP content (or are chasing leaderboards), all classes are viable for ranged DPS, @Wuggums47.

I would argue DKs are not very viable for ranged DPS unless we are setting the bar very low as they have to rely completely on non-class abilities to do damage so the class itself is not good for range.

Outside of that, yes, any class can do fine at range for most situations.
  • Wuggums47
    Wuggums47
    ✭✭
    Thanks, you've all been very helpful. I'm glad to hear warden is viable, as the class sounds interesting to me.
  • yRaven
    yRaven
    ✭✭✭✭
    Everything but MagDK
    Jack of all trades. Master of at least one.
    -
    Àrës - Magicka Dragonknight (EP)
    Persephónē - Magicka Warden (EP)
    Athēna - Magicka Templar (EP)
    Hādēs - Magicka Necromancer (EP)
    Hërmës - Runner Troll (EP)
  • Solaire
    Solaire
    ✭✭✭
    There is really no such a thing as "Ranged" in this game, you may find a lot of Ranged skills but in the end most of your fights will be close-combat even as a Caster,
    unless you go for a Bow sneak/cloak type playstyle.