The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Class recommendation - MagDK or StamDen?

coercer02neb18_ESO
coercer02neb18_ESO
✭✭✭
Ola!

I have been going back and forth on what class I want to level (I've only ever really played my magplar, on and off, since beta).. so yeah, since I am not one of those people with 69 alts, its quite a big deal :smiley: and since I want to have a melee/tanky class, I narrowed it down to whether magdk or stamden

I mainly play PvP (BG's 80%, and 20% Cyro/IC time to time), and tbh I am mainly basing my opinion on which class I get owned by in pvp most of the time and its usually one of those. Both seem to be very tanky and have good burst, so just wanted to get opinions from people that play those and maybe even had a chance to compare?
  • Ragnarock41
    Ragnarock41
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I would say both are very , very strong specs for battlegrounds and the occasional open world/IC you're looking for. MagDk is pretty much all about hitting buffed molten whips , spamming fossilize on cooldown and ferocious leap, while stam warden is basically the best overall stamina spec, and unlike the rest, can heal teammates via class heals, without giving up on resolving vigor.
    Edited by Ragnarock41 on January 27, 2020 4:10PM
  • Freakin_Hytte
    Freakin_Hytte
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I love both classes and both have been my mains for a long time, but stamden are better if you look how well they do in different situations. They just have everything in their kit and don't really have to sacrifice anything, you can also build them in multiple ways. Magdk are good 1v1 but after these patch notes they will be forced into only one viable build (I personally don't like molten whip, so I'll retire my magdk until something happens).

Another thing is that with stamden you can easily build for good sustain, damage and defense. With magdk you have to sacrifice one of those.
    Edited by Freakin_Hytte on January 27, 2020 4:49PM
  • WildRaptorX
    WildRaptorX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magdk is a lot of fun
  • MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In 1v1 situations shalks can be dodged reliably almost always. So imo for solo play magDK is better, for group play stamden is hands down best stamina spec.
  • Ragnarock41
    Ragnarock41
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    In 1v1 situations shalks can be dodged reliably almost always. So imo for solo play magDK is better, for group play stamden is hands down best stamina spec.

Your opponent can always time the burst with a stun such as turn evil or dawnbreaker.

Stamden is not exactly a meta class but as much as you can dodge shalks the stamden can take careful positioning and time his CC well to hit it.

Abilities like blastbones or shalks... these are not channel or cast time abilities that leave you unable to do anything else. These kind of abilities give you full control over how the situation will play, and while there is a bigger chance for messing it up compared to say a stamDK or stamsorc, the reward for properly landing your combo is pretty much an instant kill.

• MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Your opponent can always time the burst with a stun such as turn evil or dawnbreaker.

Stamden is not exactly a meta class but as much as you can dodge shalks the stamden can take careful positioning and time his CC well to hit it.

Abilities like blastbones or shalks... these are not channel or cast time abilities that leave you unable to do anything else. These kind of abilities give you full control over how the situation will play, and while there is a bigger chance for messing it up compared to say a stamDK or stamsorc, the reward for properly landing your combo is pretty much an instant kill.

Ok, let's say stamden tries to time shalks with dizzy into turn evil and onslaught/DBoS with expectation that shalks will land in the same time as onslaught/DBoS. All the listed abilities are extremely susceptible to roll-dodge... chances that all 4 will hit are.. vague to say the least. Because if I hear shalks sound I count to 1 and dodge. They miss in 90% of cases. Of course when stamden hits you in the back when you fight somebody else he can evaporate you in 2 GCD... but this is hardly solo play scenario.

About control that stamcro and stamden have... yes, they have potentially most powerful combos, but their opponent has control as well. For example if it is close melee, then blastbones can be stunned by turn evil together with their owner... that's why I think stamplar is best now. Because his delayed burst ability is off-gcd but it can't be dodged/cc'd... it can be purged I guess, but it's hardly good exchange because it is so cheap. MagDK burst can be purged as well... I noticed that on stamDK (vampire) I had really hard times with magDK if I'm not on stage1. On stamplar (vampire) IDGAF about magDK. I have so much magicka nowhere to spend, so I just cleanse each burst build up each time... major breach, engulfing, burning, embers... all gone in one click.

So for OP and BG play, stamden will be better choice after all.
  • WillhelmBlack
    WillhelmBlack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Flowers or fire?

🤔
    PC EU
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Stamden.
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • DUTCH_REAPER
    DUTCH_REAPER
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Magic DK!!! We need more!!

https://youtu.be/Kmq0wIEKwys
  • coercer02neb18_ESO
    coercer02neb18_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone! I am about 0% closer to deciding :smiley:
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Stamden has tankiness, heals, mobility, burst, superior sustain and of course being stam they have more weapon options including executes, twice as many damage based armor set options, and the automatic 20% cost reduction.

MagDK has pretty whips, a lovely ultimate and large helpings of nostalgia over what the class used to be.
  • coercer02neb18_ESO
    coercer02neb18_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    NBrookus wrote: »
    large helpings of nostalgia over what the class used to be.

I guess that means I should go stamden, since I won’t even haven’t that :/
  • Aelorin
    Aelorin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hello OP,

I know you do not have a lot of time to level multiple characters to max, but why don't you level a magDK and magden to let's say lvl 20. With some xp scrolls, you are there in no time. And that way you feel yourself what class you like most. After all it is you who will play that toon. If you are on pc, you could make max lvl characters on test server for both, so you do not even have to level.

Although I love the fire theme of the magDK, I really can not seem to get "into" this class.

On the other hand, as said above, you can do so many things with warden. damage, healing, support, snares,...And above all: I so like bird of prey with that sweet speed and damage buff.
    Edited by Aelorin on January 28, 2020 9:26AM
    And so the Elder Scrolls foretold.You will be shy, and I will be bold.
  • thadjarvis
    thadjarvis
    ✭✭✭✭
    This may or may not help, but if you like the idea of MagDK and Stamden....StamDK may fit you.
  • Haquor
    Haquor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks everyone! I am about 0% closer to deciding :smiley:

Magedk. You have wings. You leap around the battlefield like a flying Tbag. You whip people into submission.

Stamden is strong. But you prance around the with your pet beatles while throwing flowers about willy nilly.
  • Banana
    Banana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mdk looks nicer
  • Septimus_Magna
    Septimus_Magna
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    If you've only played a magicka character I would suggest trying the other side, Stamden is fun to play and its nice to learn the difference between mag and stam builds.
    PC - EU (AD)
    Septimus Mezar - Altmer Sorcerer
    Septimus Rulanir - Orsimer Templar
    Septimus Desmoru - Khajiit Necromancer
    Septimus Iroh - Dunmer Dragon Knight
    Septimus Thragar - Dunmer Nightblade
    Septimus Jah'zar - Khajiit Nightblade
    Septimus Nerox - Redguard Warden
    Septimus Ozurk - Orsimer Sorcerer
  • Heimpai
    Heimpai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Roll a nord or dunmer, so you can swap between mag/stam instead of making a new character just to try it...

Personally I'd go Stamden or Stamplar, Magdk is fun but not something I would main atm..tho I definitely still play mine!
    Edited by Heimpai on January 30, 2020 4:29PM
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I agree, go nord either way. What I didn’t like about MagDK is you’re pushed into one playstyle. It’s just not as fleshed out as other classes where you can change your gear and be a healer or tank... maybe you could make a mag tank, never tried it.

It’s like NB with a lot of dead skills.
    Edited by Iskiab on January 31, 2020 5:22AM
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • Heimpai
    Heimpai
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Iskiab wrote: »
    I agree, go nord either way. What I didn’t like about MagDK is you’re pushed into one playstyle. It’s just not as fleshed out as other classes where you can change your gear and be a healer or tank... maybe you could make a mag tank, never tried it.

It’s like NB with a lot of dead skills.

Yes, I can't recommend it to someone sadly..Warden is a good tank/healer/dps..It is what all classes should be so you can play how you want