Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

MagBlade Theorycrafting Changes Thread

• kaithuzar
    kaithuzar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ::sigh::
    Seems like the only way to be successful is to hop on the cheese bandwagon, proc sets here I come!
    Member of:
    Fantasia - osh kosh b-josh
    Just Chill - Crown's house
    GoldCloaks - Durruthy test server penga
    Small Meme Guild - Mano's house

Former member of:
    Legend - Siffer fan boy club
    TKO (tamriel knight's order) - free bks
    Deviance - Leonard's senche tiger
    Purple - hamNchz is my hero
    Eight Divines - myrlifax stop playing final fantasy
    WKB (we kill bosses) - turd where you go?
    Arcance Council - Klytz Kommander
    World Boss - Mike & Chewy gone EP
    M12 (majestic twelve) - cult of the loli zerg
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    kaithuzar wrote: »
    Seems like the only way to be successful is to hop on the cheese bandwagon, proc sets here I come!

I don’t think you absolutely need proc sets. With that being said clever alchemist and smuggler has a synergy if you like potion cooldown reduction. Do you consider that a proc set?
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • kaithuzar
    kaithuzar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Iskiab wrote: »

I don’t think you absolutely need proc sets. With that being said clever alchemist and smuggler has a synergy if you like potion cooldown reduction. Do you consider that a proc set?

eh, kind of due to there being a pre-req which has to happen & downtime for which you may be a sitting duck.
    But I mean your typical definition of proc sets, it's going to be the best bet, imo.
    Member of:

Former member of:
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

eh, kind of due to there being a pre-req which has to happen & downtime for which you may be a sitting duck.
    But I mean your typical definition of proc sets, it's going to be the best bet, imo.

Yea, I think that’ll be a good combo.

I’m thinking either:
    - Darloc + clever + Kena
    - Scooma + Clever + Kena
    - NMA + Darloc + Kena

Clever alchemist can be tricky. There’s an incentive to go 3x potion speed glyphs to bring the CD down to 30 seconds, but that’s a lot of spell damage lost, maybe just one reduction to bring the cooldown to 40 seconds. 2x swift for mag is about perfect. It’ll take some getting used to and tweaking to find the sweet spot.

Hopefully there’s be another source of major sorcery somewhere. Sap sucks, and the mage guild dot sucks too. Most of these builds would work best with tri stat or immovable + mag + Crit.
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Skooma Smuggler was one of my favorite sets, before we had RAT. These days I think you're better off not blowing one of your 5-pieces on that, but using it for sustain (Bright-Throat's, Lich, Amber Plasm, whatever you fancy) to help sustain RAT. In that sustain you get something far more generally useful than the Skooma 5-piece.
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
    PC NA (EP): Magicka NB
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Clever alchemist can be tricky. There’s an incentive to go 3x potion speed glyphs to bring the CD down to 30 seconds, but that’s a lot of spell damage lost, maybe just one reduction to bring the cooldown to 40 seconds. 2x swift for mag is about perfect. It’ll take some getting used to and tweaking to find the sweet spot.
    Fengrush did some experiments with a "thirsty Argonian" build once. I got the impression that can be competitive. If I was making a build like that, I'd try going all in, meaning Infused potion cooldown reduction to 21s, full or near full uptime on things like Clever Alchemist, CC immunity, Major Vitality, Lingering Health, and so on. Wouldn't be a nightblade build that dips in and out of combat, but a brawler warden / DK / stamplar. You can either take advantage of near full uptime on otherwise nerfed buffs, such as the above, or alternate potions to stack more 45 second effects. My impression from Fengrush was that, while such a build can be competitive, it is however not OP. Besides not having an Argonian, it's the price of potions that has held me back from ever trying this.
    PC EU (EP): Magicka NB (main), Stamina NB, Stamina DK, Stamina Sorcerer, Magicka Warden, Magicka Templar, Stamina Templar
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    fred4 wrote: »
    Fengrush did some experiments with a "thirsty Argonian" build once. I got the impression that can be competitive. If I was making a build like that, I'd try going all in, meaning Infused potion cooldown reduction to 21s, full or near full uptime on things like Clever Alchemist, CC immunity, Major Vitality, Lingering Health, and so on. Wouldn't be a nightblade build that dips in and out of combat, but a brawler warden / DK / stamplar. You can either take advantage of near full uptime on otherwise nerfed buffs, such as the above, or alternate potions to stack more 45 second effects. My impression from Fengrush was that, while such a build can be competitive, it is however not OP. Besides not having an Argonian, it's the price of potions that has held me back from ever trying this.

I see what you’re saying. I was more thinking of tying the sets around a playstyle.

So run around with 1k mag regen and darloc to return your resources while sneaking as a vampire. Use that set to tank your sustain and gain it all back while sneaking around..

Then sneak around and when you want to fight do it in 20 second intervals and hide again. Use the shade as your timer, when the shade almost needs to be refreshed pop shade and peace out waiting for your CDs to be back up.

Doing it this way you could probably get an extra 1K spell damage, which a magblade needs to have competitive damage. Purely a solo playstyle.
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • ThePedge
    ThePedge
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Amber Plasm, Spinners, Zaan
    22k Spell Pen in noCP, means Zaan has pretty much full damage.
    Fear or Vamp Drain for stun and they're dead.
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Clever Alchemist kind of died for nightblades when they prevented it from activating outside of combat.
  • brandonv516
    brandonv516
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    fred4 wrote: »
    Skooma Smuggler was one of my favorite sets, before we had RAT. These days I think you're better off not blowing one of your 5-pieces on that, but using it for sustain (Bright-Throat's, Lich, Amber Plasm, whatever you fancy) to help sustain RAT. In that sustain you get something far more generally useful than the Skooma 5-piece.

Yeah that set is not nearly as useful as it once was.

Completely agree here.
  • fred4
    fred4
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Just for amusement: Skooma Smuggler once shared it's implementation with Refreshing Path. This lead to Refreshing Path granting you another 30 seconds of Major Expedition, if Skooma Smuggler had been activated once. You could even take that set off. As long as you kept up Path every 30 seconds, you had permanent Major Expedition.
  • Langeston
    Langeston
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ThePedge wrote: »

How are you getting 22k with that? Even with Spinner's/NMA & a sharpened Inferno staff with the Lover & all gold Divines I only get 16,735 spell penetration in no-CP — and NMA has 1487 penetration that Amber Plasm lacks. Even if I include major breach that would put me right at 22,015.

• ThePedge
    ThePedge
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Langeston wrote: »

How are you getting 22k with that? Even with Spinner's/NMA & a sharpened Inferno staff with the Lover & all gold Divines I only get 16,735 spell penetration in no-CP — and NMA has 1487 penetration that Amber Plasm lacks. Even if I include major breach that would put me right at 22,015.

3450 Spinners
    2752 Sharpened
    1320 Breach Poisons
    4196 The Lover 7x Divine
    5280 Ele Drain for Major Breach
    4884 Light Armour Passive
    I slightly exaggerated.

NMA would be really costly. Aurorans would be best for super cheese.

Or go even simpler and just Onslaught.

Total Zaan damage unmitigated is 50k over 5 seconds.

Increased by Minor Vuln, Berserk and Soul Harvest too
    Edited by ThePedge on January 22, 2020 11:32PM
  • kaithuzar
    kaithuzar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does it not work just using the 2 handed ult to gain full pen before proc’ing Zaan?
    Member of:

Former member of:
  • ThePedge
    ThePedge
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Does it not work just using the 2 handed ult to gain full pen before proc’ing Zaan?

Much more of a gank setup. Stacking pen means it applies 100% of the time and can hold up very well without Zaan proc

I'll be honest I rarely run 21800, was just a fun theorycraft.

Mostly run ~16k, no lover Mundus or breach poisons
  • kaithuzar
    kaithuzar
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Much more of a gank setup. Stacking pen means it applies 100% of the time and can hold up very well without Zaan proc

I'll be honest I rarely run 21800, was just a fun theorycraft.

Mostly run ~16k, no lover Mundus or breach poisons

I’ve always ran 15-16k pen in CP.
    That gets cut down to 12-13k for BG’s but I think my damage is ok as it’s around 2.7k unbuffed & just over 4.4k fully buffed.
    Sustain is a pain though & pretty heavily reliant on pots.
    Someone, I think a light armor healer in bg was telling me my Destro ult (the one that follows), was hitting for 7k ea tick, that may have been a crit, not sure?
    Member of:

Former member of:
  • srnm
    srnm
    ✭✭✭
    Stacking argonian potion passive with nightblade potion passive with potion cooldown should be strong.

Long time ago I ran a lizard healblade that used 1 or 2 potion cooldown reductions to be able to run the ritual stone and still sustain. Stacking into healing done worked well.

I just used the alliance trash pots most of the time - and it was easy to finance because ap from heals was great.
    It was good to have both red and blue pot bonus active.

This was before the nerfs to Argonian and magblade - and nerf to ap from heals - no clue as to how well it works now...

Edited by srnm on January 25, 2020 11:13PM
  • Freakin_Hytte
    Freakin_Hytte
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do anyone know why the Hemorrhage passive skill in assassination only gives minor savagery and not minor prophecy as well?
    All the other passives in that skill tree caters to both mag and stamblade, but for some reason this one doesn't.
    It wouldn't be much, but it is a small thing they should change, it won't be a huge "OP" buff, but it would help us in a small way.
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Do anyone know why the Hemorrhage passive skill in assassination only gives minor savagery and not minor prophecy as well?
    All the other passives in that skill tree caters to both mag and stamblade, but for some reason this one doesn't.
    It wouldn't be much, but it is a small thing they should change, it won't be a huge "OP" buff, but it would help us in a small way.

It’s how the game has setup group support in the game. Each class has one passive that’s a group buff.

Sorcs are mag crit, stamblade stam crit (I think it is I can’t remember), templar is spell damage, etc...

It’s setup that way to encourage one of every class in trials. In practice people usually load up with all stam and only need to make sure they have the stam buffs. It’s why there’s a NB tank in most trial groups.

It only has a small effect as a self buff, but usually enough that each class’ group support passive is enough to make either mag or stam of each class a little better solo in pvp: Stamblades, magplars, magsorcs, etc...
    Edited by Iskiab on January 26, 2020 3:39AM
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • kaithuzar
    kaithuzar
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Member of:

Former member of:
  • Jeezye
    Jeezye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In case you haven't seen yet, here's some magblade goodness from Heresyall who still recks on magblade. Sadly even he had to slot calu/zaan to make the class viable in the current state:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWxVFdn02t8&t=1s
  • NightAngel690
    NightAngel690
    ✭✭✭
    What is everyone running for Bar setups especially on Destro/Restro? I have trouble fitting things on each of my bars without sacrificing something I need for survivability vs damage vs a cc. I also had trouble picking a mundus stone since people would recommend me apprentice, mage, thief, shadow or even the lover.

My front bar is all offensive:
    Swallow soul, ele drain, degen (or we major sorcery buff is) fear, merciless, soul harvest
    Back bar all defensive:
    Phantasmal, siphoning, rapid regen, dark cloak, channeled acceleration, either tether or bats for duels

Open world only thing that changes is back bar. I take channeled off and throw on mist form(or shade...monster helm depending) and swap bats/tether for resto.

• Vietfox
    Vietfox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ok, so due to the new changes in the next patch i tried to make a new build for a magblade. Wanted to post the link but i wasn't logged and couldn't save the build. I didn't feel like doing the same again so i'm just gonna post the build here:

Altmer, 64 magicka, stage 4 vampire

Sets:
    - Molag kena (reduced the increased cost to 8 down from 20): medium impen head and light impen shoulders.
    - Clever alchemist (will last for 20 seconds instead of 15): 4 light impen and 1 heavy reinforced chest.
    (max stam on head, tri stat on chest and legs, max mag on the other pieces)
    - Bright-Throat: mag recovery arcane necklace, 2 rings with pot cooldown reduction infused, sharpened fire destro with shock enchant and infused resto with weapon dmg enchant.

Drink: Spring-Loaded infusion

FB: swallow soul, debilitate, inner light, mass hysteria, merciless and soul harvest.
    BB: shadow image, siphoning attacks, shadowy disguise, healing ward, RAT and soul siphon.

CP:
    The lord:
    - Bastion: 11
    - Quick recovery: 19

The lady:
    - Light armor: 23
    - Thick skinned: 23
    - Hardy: 37
    - Elemental def: 37

The Steed:
    - Ironclad: 56
    - Resistant: 64

The Atronach:
    - Shattering blows: 23
    - Master at arms: 72
    - Staff expert: 25

The Apprentice:
    - Elemental expert: 43
    - Spell erosion: 51
    - Elfborn: 37
    - Blessed: 19

The Shadow:
    - Shadow ward: 51
    - Tumbling: 61

The Lover:
    - Arcanist: 64
    - Tenacity: 56

The Tower:
    - Siphoner: 1
    - Warlord: 37

Stats fully buffed with essence of spell power:

Health: 27232
    Mag: 37589
    Stam: 17086

Health rec: 166
    Mag rec: 1587
    Stam rec: 585

Spell dmg: 4176

Spell crit: 43%

Spell crit dmg: 75%

Spell crit healing: 65%

Spell resist: 17379

Physical resist: 17713

Crit resist: 2981

Spell pen: 11648

Now, these stats are without a Mundus because i wasn't sure yet. But i guess i would choose either the thief, the lover or the lady.

With 2 infused pot cooldown reduction it will take now only 29 seconds instead of 45, and as a magblade you can afford to wait for those 9 seconds left

While a breton would be a nice choice to almost completely negate that cost increase from Kena, i prefer Altmer for the increased damage and stamina sustain.
    The mag recovery is not amazing but that gets fixed with siphoning and debilitate.

• Vietfox
    Vietfox
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Actually, debilitate could be changed for elemental drain for more penetration.
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I was thinking clever alchemist too as a magblade. I haven’t actually played my magblade in a while, and my new one I’m still working on undaunted.

I was thinking of trying darloc, that monster set that stuns or does damage, and spinners. 3x infused spell damage glyphs.

Purely for solo play. Be super cheap and pop out of stealth for a bit while clever’s up and try to kill someone, right back into stealth when clever’s down and use shade to track the timer. Peace out no matter what when the shade’s about to drop.

Try and hit as hard as possible and then wait out clever’s timer and let darloc recover my resources.
    Edited by Iskiab on January 28, 2020 6:23PM
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • Langeston
    Langeston
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was thinking clever alchemist too as a magblade. I haven’t actually played my magblade in a while, and my new one I’m still working on undaunted.

I was thinking of trying darloc, that monster set that stuns or does damage, and spinners. 3x infused spell damage glyphs.

Purely for solo play. Be super cheap and pop out of stealth for a bit while clever’s up and try to kill someone, right back into stealth when clever’s down and use shade to track the timer. Peace out no matter what when the shade’s about to drop.

Try and hit as hard as possible and then wait out clever’s timer and let darloc recover my resources.

I played around with Darloc & Spinners in my magblade a while back (with Willpower front bar), but I always wound up going back to Spinner's/BTB. Better damage & less tedious to play with.

Where Darloc really shined for me was on my stamblade — once you get used to going into sneak every time you cloak it allows you to play more like a magblade (which was a lot more fun for me.)
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

I played around with Darloc & Spinners in my magblade a while back (with Willpower front bar), but I always wound up going back to Spinner's/BTB. Better damage & less tedious to play with.

Where Darloc really shined for me was on my stamblade — once you get used to going into sneak every time you cloak it allows you to play more like a magblade (which was a lot more fun for me.)

I could see that. I’m moreso thinking of stripping out all sustain entirely and relying only on darloc replenishing resources. Having no sustain will mean I’ll run oom fast, but as long as I can last 20 seconds who cares.

Stripping all sustain entirely might let a magblade hit hard enough to kill a competent player solo, I’m not sure. I haven’t played a magblade in pvp in about 3-4 months.

After the last changes I got sick of arguing with people about magblade, and thought I’d need 3-4 months for casual players to get up to speed on the state of the game before people would agree with me.
    Edited by Iskiab on January 28, 2020 9:16PM
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • Freakin_Hytte
    Freakin_Hytte
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I could see that. I’m moreso thinking of stripping out all sustain entirely and relying only on darloc replenishing resources. Having no sustain will mean I’ll run oom fast, but as long as I can last 20 seconds who cares.

Stripping all sustain entirely might let a magblade hit hard enough to kill a competent player solo, I’m not sure. I haven’t played a magblade in pvp in about 3-4 months.

You will definitely run into sustain issues with competent players, it's very hard to pull off a combo effectively. Incap and grim focus are just to slow and easy to dodge, even if you fear or stun before they can dodge the skills with easy, so doing a quick combo kill is mostly history unless the player is sieging or very new to pvp. So longer fights will definitely be hard with only durloc.
    Edited by Freakin_Hytte on January 28, 2020 9:36PM
  • Langeston
    Langeston
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That was actually my thinking as well, but in practice the difference in damage was negligible and I had difficulty sustaining (on a Breton) when I was on the offensive. The health regen was pretty nice, and the stam regen basically ensures that you have a full stam pool, but in the end the set was a huge QoL downgrade for me.

You may have better luck though, and since the set is dirt cheap you don't really have anything to lose, so I say go for it. If I remember correctly, I went Darloc chest/2 jewels/back bar, Willpower front bar, and the rest Spinner's (with light shoulders & heavy head for monster.) Let me know if you get it to work out for you.
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

That was actually my thinking as well, but in practice the difference in damage was negligible and I had difficulty sustaining (on a Breton) when I was on the offensive. The health regen was pretty nice, and the stam regen basically ensures that you have a full stam pool, but in the end the set was a huge QoL downgrade for me.

You may have better luck though, and since the set is dirt cheap you don't really have anything to lose, so I say go for it. If I remember correctly, I went Darloc chest/2 jewels/back bar, Willpower front bar, and the rest Spinner's (with light shoulders & heavy head for monster.) Let me know if you get it to work out for you.

Will do. I tried the set when I repurposed my old main to my crafter and build a spec to run around and do surveys.

Magblades can’t do everything, I’m thinking minimal defense with max stats and have damage plus some defense with no sustain.

All the other classes are enjoying the benefits of the better healing these days, but magblades are stuck having to do high pen for proc sets and high sustain because of the cost of abilities. Being able to disengage is the only way I can think of for a magblade to be competitive because it will allow tanking sustain.
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair