The maintenance is complete and the PTS is now back online. The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test!
The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Onslaught Nerf

• Rahar
    Rahar
    ✭✭✭✭
    Rahar wrote: »
    imagine defending onslaught

Ok, maybe I'm wrong. Maybe I don't know something. Without irony - can you share stamina kill combo without onslaught with burst high enough to kill typical 30k resistances S&B/2H nord running around Cyrodiil and who can break free fast, keeps heals up, knows how to roll-dodge and when to block?

Play stamden/stamplar. Bugs, Dizzy, Off Balance stun, DB, Execute. For plar, PotL, Javelin (maybe), DB, Jabs. Results may vary, but these are incredibly deadly combos when timed right. Sarcasm/irony/whathaveyou aside, Stam has an incredibly strong kit baseline unless you're something like a nightblade in which case gl lmao

Stamden problem is that all that powerful combo is easily dodgeable. Yes, when somebody else cc'd you and then shalk train arrive from backside warden doesn't need onslaught. But in 1v1 all those DBoS wardens... I see how those DBoS just hit ground. Or DBoS lands but dizzy miss.. or shalks miss. And to put average modern PVP-er to execute zone you need to land all 3 - shalks, dizzy and DBoS. While in case of onslaught shalks+onslaught might be enough.

Stamplar doesn't have access to major fracture. At all. So onslaught imo is best for stamplar for all cases with exception of killing squishes where cheap instant empowering sweep can be better.

Maybe necro next patch with all his pet dots and major defile will be able to kill without onslaught, we'll see.

Some ballista builds can be deadly... but they are cheezy.

DB and bugs are both not dodgeable, but they are prone to bad aiming.

Regardless I don't see the logic in "but it can be dodged" when onslaught is much more easily dodged due to long pre-cast time and obvious animation, coupled with the fact that the disgusting cast time makes a break free + dodge roll a full counter even if you stun beforehand. At least with DB you have to know to block.
    Edited by Rahar on January 27, 2020 7:41PM
    NeRf MaGsOrC
  • MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Ok, maybe I'm wrong. Maybe I don't know something. Without irony - can you share stamina kill combo without onslaught with burst high enough to kill typical 30k resistances S&B/2H nord running around Cyrodiil and who can break free fast, keeps heals up, knows how to roll-dodge and when to block?

Play stamden/stamplar. Bugs, Dizzy, Off Balance stun, DB, Execute. For plar, PotL, Javelin (maybe), DB, Jabs. Results may vary, but these are incredibly deadly combos when timed right. Sarcasm/irony/whathaveyou aside, Stam has an incredibly strong kit baseline unless you're something like a nightblade in which case gl lmao

Stamden problem is that all that powerful combo is easily dodgeable. Yes, when somebody else cc'd you and then shalk train arrive from backside warden doesn't need onslaught. But in 1v1 all those DBoS wardens... I see how those DBoS just hit ground. Or DBoS lands but dizzy miss.. or shalks miss. And to put average modern PVP-er to execute zone you need to land all 3 - shalks, dizzy and DBoS. While in case of onslaught shalks+onslaught might be enough.

Stamplar doesn't have access to major fracture. At all. So onslaught imo is best for stamplar for all cases with exception of killing squishes where cheap instant empowering sweep can be better.

Maybe necro next patch with all his pet dots and major defile will be able to kill without onslaught, we'll see.

Regardless, I don't see the logic in "but it can be dodged" when onslaught is much more easily dodged (due to long pre-cast time and obvious animation).

What do you mean not dodgeable? I avoid them in majority of cases by roll-dodge. How do you aim them? Maybe if you'll duel with somebody for long, you can predict his pattern of movement.. but in Cyro with random opponents - no way. Difference of DBoS vs Onslaught is that DBoS doesn't provide deadly follow-up in nearest GCD before target break free. And of course you need to stun (even better to fear) target before onslaught.

After this nerf though, DBoS may be good option again... but question is if average PVP build will be able to kill comparable build at all without onslaught.
  • EtTuBrutus
    EtTuBrutus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    EtTuBrutus wrote: »
    Onslaught is broken and EASILY adds easy more than 2k to my burst combos. You're nuts if u think anything should be brought to these levels.

And what's your burst? I played in medium with 25k resistances last 30 hours and died in 1v1 one time to a glass cannon magsorc. All the mighty onslaught swingers usually left you at 30-40% HP which is more then enough to recover back to full HP if you use one of the numerous burst protection tools. Block/heal with S&B allows to survive onslaught follow-up. Mist+pot/rally or cc on mist exit cancels it. BRP DW with solid uptime will leave you at even higher HP after onslaught... Sorcs can spam shield / streak out. Onslaught kills only if target can't break free fast enough. So it should be some lag spike or unbreakable fear. Break free from common stuns is instant when game runs more or less ok.
    I think Onslaught is alright now but many other ultis are weaker. So it looks logical to buff them, instead of reducing damage.

... lol players who are bursting at full hp only kill scrubs. A burst combo is meant to be done at about 70% hp to make sure u kill WITH THE COMBO. Not trying to execute after.
  • EtTuBrutus
    EtTuBrutus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Y do keep talking about resistances when onslaught causes you to ignore youre enemies resistances
  • MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Y do keep talking about resistances when onslaught causes you to ignore youre enemies resistances

But as you mentioned in previous post, you first need to put target to 60-70% HP to have any success with burst. With healing up, with roll-dodges of your dizzies/jabs/shalks, with block of your cc, with BRP DW spam this is not that easy to put to those 60-70% HP consistently. Against as you said "scrubs" of course, dizzy-dizzy-HA-onslaught-execute. Against any experienced player one of those dizzies will be dodged and one that hit will be outhealed by hanging HoT+recovery in 2 seconds...
    So if you finally managed to combine putting to 60-70% HP and some hard long cc like fear.. you need onslaught to finish the deal to have a chance to finish. If this is DBoS or something from class ultimates, follow-up will be too weak. You need full pen executioner to kill somebody with meta tanky-bursty build. And of course don't forget about undeath, about pariah, about accelerated growth, about 60%+ mitigation of S&B block, about 75%+ mitigation of mist... I think if you regularly play Cyrodiil, you know this warden guys with S&B, who are literally immortal if onslaught doesn't drops them to 10% HP or less. At 20% HP they will easily block heal through full pen 6k WD executioner spam. Because undeath+s&b block+permanent major mending multiply to crazy ratio of mitigation and healing.
  • xylena
    xylena
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only thing that needs to change about Onslaught is removing the cast time, same as the other melee ultis.
    Retired until we break the Tank Meta
  • Rahar
    Rahar
    ✭✭✭✭

Regardless, I don't see the logic in "but it can be dodged" when onslaught is much more easily dodged (due to long pre-cast time and obvious animation).

What do you mean not dodgeable? I avoid them in majority of cases by roll-dodge. How do you aim them? Maybe if you'll duel with somebody for long, you can predict his pattern of movement.. but in Cyro with random opponents - no way. Difference of DBoS vs Onslaught is that DBoS doesn't provide deadly follow-up in nearest GCD before target break free. And of course you need to stun (even better to fear) target before onslaught.

After this nerf though, DBoS may be good option again... but question is if average PVP build will be able to kill comparable build at all without onslaught.

You can't roll dodge AoEs like Sub Assault and DBoS and Jabs. It's impossible due to the way the game works; it'll go right through. However, you could avoid them due to movement skills like Streak or Shadow Image or just really fast movement (even roll dodging, though unlikely), or block them.

You aim the skills with your mouse. The direction your character is facing at the current moment is the direction they shoot out, and you can adjust it on the fly and compensate for movement as long as server latency is willing. I've about-faced a few DBs in my time.

Anyway, against anyone competent your first burst combo probably won't be a OHK, so there's no reason to doom-and-gloom over a bit of damage on an already overperforming ultimate. The deadly follow up that you mention in my example is Sub (warden) and PotL (Plar) but Onslaught will still have its armor ignoring after the patch if it launches as-is now.
    NeRf MaGsOrC
  • JinxxND
    JinxxND
    ✭✭✭✭
    Not sure if I like them nerfing damage further in the tank meta, is onsluaght strong yes, but it's kinda needed with the meta they created nerfing dots, defiles, bleeds, oblivion damage, and esp if you play CP with the crazy amounts of healing and mitigation if anything we should be looking at buffing damage across the board and finding a sweet spot that isn't over tuned like the last dot patch.
    PC NA -
    'Jinxx - Nightblade
    'Jinxx X Necromancer
  • EtTuBrutus
    EtTuBrutus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

But as you mentioned in previous post, you first need to put target to 60-70% HP to have any success with burst. With healing up, with roll-dodges of your dizzies/jabs/shalks, with block of your cc, with BRP DW spam this is not that easy to put to those 60-70% HP consistently. Against as you said "scrubs" of course, dizzy-dizzy-HA-onslaught-execute. Against any experienced player one of those dizzies will be dodged and one that hit will be outhealed by hanging HoT+recovery in 2 seconds...
    So if you finally managed to combine putting to 60-70% HP and some hard long cc like fear.. you need onslaught to finish the deal to have a chance to finish. If this is DBoS or something from class ultimates, follow-up will be too weak. You need full pen executioner to kill somebody with meta tanky-bursty build. And of course don't forget about undeath, about pariah, about accelerated growth, about 60%+ mitigation of S&B block, about 75%+ mitigation of mist... I think if you regularly play Cyrodiil, you know this warden guys with S&B, who are literally immortal if onslaught doesn't drops them to 10% HP or less. At 20% HP they will easily block heal through full pen 6k WD executioner spam. Because undeath+s&b block+permanent major mending multiply to crazy ratio of mitigation and healing.

Permanent major mending? That's literally 1 class. Either way, if you're bringing the conversation to the subject of healing/ block/ dodge as a counter to being killed... duh.

I'd argue that the real problem isn't healing and active defense but the lack of skills that force pressure (like dots buffed bc they were weak then buffed to be worse than when they needed a buff, I'm sure you remember) like defile and dots were absolutely gutted in the process of buffing healing and damage. But it certainly doesn't mean things like dawnbreaker should be brought up to onslaughts level.

Mag wardens are tough to kill when they stack vines, lotus and rapid, absolutely. They're dedicating 3 skills to helping thier survivability. You want a 2 or 3 button win from full hp vs everyone using 3 skills, dodge roll and block???
  • MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You can't roll dodge AoEs like Sub Assault and DBoS and Jabs. It's impossible due to the way the game works; it'll go right through. However, you could avoid them due to movement skills like Streak or Shadow Image or just really fast movement (even roll dodging, though unlikely), or block them.

You aim the skills with your mouse. The direction your character is facing at the current moment is the direction they shoot out, and you can adjust it on the fly and compensate for movement as long as server latency is willing. I've about-faced a few DBs in my time.

Anyway, against anyone competent your first burst combo probably won't be a OHK, so there's no reason to doom-and-gloom over a bit of damage on an already overperforming ultimate. The deadly follow up that you mention in my example is Sub (warden) and PotL (Plar) but Onslaught will still have its armor ignoring after the patch if it launches as-is now.

I am just average PVP-er of course but I had enough time fighting wardens to tell that shalks can be dodged. Maybe dodge is wrong word. Thing is that you hear shalk sound, count to 1 and roll-dodge somewhere, usually behind warden. Zero damage received, no major fracture applied.

About doom&gloom.. idk, I'm running damage race, 3 damage sets and still there are ton of people who can face tank anything with exception of onslaught. And I know that each 1k HP left on target after onslaught is critical for executioner damage. And ZOS plans to cut 1.5-2k from that damage instead of buffing other ultimates or doing something with tank meta.
  • MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Permanent major mending? That's literally 1 class. Either way, if you're bringing the conversation to the subject of healing/ block/ dodge as a counter to being killed... duh.

I'd argue that the real problem isn't healing and active defense but the lack of skills that force pressure (like dots buffed bc they were weak then buffed to be worse than when they needed a buff, I'm sure you remember) like defile and dots were absolutely gutted in the process of buffing healing and damage. But it certainly doesn't mean things like dawnbreaker should be brought up to onslaughts level.

Mag wardens are tough to kill when they stack vines, lotus and rapid, absolutely. They're dedicating 3 skills to helping thier survivability. You want a 2 or 3 button win from full hp vs everyone using 3 skills, dodge roll and block???

I'm totally fine if bleeds, dots and defile will return or healing just adjusted, after that onslaught can be nerfed. But I don't see any movements to limit healing (other then fixing blastbones) and in the same time onslaught and off-balance are already nerfed.
  • EtTuBrutus
    EtTuBrutus
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I'm totally fine if bleeds, dots and defile will return or healing just adjusted, after that onslaught can be nerfed. But I don't see any movements to limit healing (other then fixing blastbones) and in the same time onslaught and off-balance are already nerfed.

We can both agree with a lot needs tweaking. I don't think this game isn't balanced around competitive 1v1s, so it's all moot any way.
  • TheBonesXXX
    TheBonesXXX
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tanks were always countered by Pressure builds.
  • MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

We can both agree with a lot needs tweaking. I don't think this game isn't balanced around competitive 1v1s, so it's all moot any way.

Yes, and direct nerfs will lead to nowhere. Of course now there are so many ways for active protection that it makes pretty hard to kill (or be killed) in 1v1 on meta builds. But in the same time if all that healing/mitigation will be nerfed it might destroy outnumbered playstyle which is so fun.
    That's why I think that buffs could be a better way to balance things.. this will create new builds and ways to play without removing existing ones.
  • MCBIZZLE300
    MCBIZZLE300
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    nerf onslaught and remove cast times, ez fix.
  • Cronopoly
    Cronopoly
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nooooo, damn it was too good to be true...sigh, I just got back after a 7 month hiatus... I used it to oneshot PVE mobs while farming at times on my NB. I loved the always up feature lol.
  • MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cronopoly wrote: »
    Nooooo, damn it was too good to be true...sigh, I just got back after a 7 month hiatus... I used it to oneshot PVE mobs while farming at times on my NB. I loved the always up feature lol.

Rise and Fall of Onslaught. Previously it had 2 interesting morphs + there was corrosive armor alternative, none of 3 ultis were considered overpowered or problematic... then we had OP onslaught for 1 patch (corrosive nerfed just in case)... then 1 patch of onslaught meta (other ultis were nerfed) and as an aftermath we have ton of nerfed ultimates, but blighted blastbones with ultimate level impact on ability with 1k stam cost. Nice example of game balancing :D
  • Goregrinder
    Goregrinder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Reasonable alternatives must exist for players to choose different setups. Look at the DW ultimate when was the last time you saw that on your death recap? Just nerfing the only stam ultimate that can end certain fights in CP doesn’t make the other stam ultimates more appealing ZeniMax. Smh

I don't think any build has ran the DW ulti in the 6 years the game has been around.
  • usmcjdking
    usmcjdking
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    The base skill shouldn't have any damage or on-hit component tied to it whatsoever.
  • Davadin
    Davadin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Onslaught is nerfed?
    August Palatine Davadin Bloodstrake - Nord Dragon Knight - PC NA - Gray Host
    Greymoor 6.0.7 PvP : Medium 2H/SnB The Destroyer
    Dragonhold 5.2.11 PvE : Medium DW/2H The Blood Furnace
    March 2021 (too lazy to add CP) PvP: Medium DW/Bow The Stabber
  • Davadin
    Davadin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree that Onslaught now is most popular and effective stam ultimate. But given all the options for burst follow-up protection (S&B block/heal, mist, BRP DW, defensive ultimates etc) taking another 1.5-2k from burst damage will do nothing good.
    Maybe instead of nerfing onslaught, we can buff DBoS, Incap, Meteor?

Can DK Leap gets a buff too?
  • Moonsorrow
    Moonsorrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭

"Whatever happened to bludgeoning someone to death with a wheel of cheese?" -Uncle Sheo

Like Sheogorath, i love all sorts of cheese every now and then. Sometimes needs to secure the kills.

And.. whatever you use to kill someone, they call anything you use cheesy anyways. Any ultimate, Dizzy, execute skills, Leap, anything.. people die and they whisper you use cheese. If they kill you with the same thing on same build, then it`s "OK META BUILD", so.. i guess only way to kill anyone without being cheezy would be doing Unarmed fist fight until they die. I bet someone would still call even that cheesy. *shrugs*
  • MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Davadin wrote: »
    I agree that Onslaught now is most popular and effective stam ultimate. But given all the options for burst follow-up protection (S&B block/heal, mist, BRP DW, defensive ultimates etc) taking another 1.5-2k from burst damage will do nothing good.

It is old thread, returning player necroed it :)
    Moonsorrow wrote: »

"Whatever happened to bludgeoning someone to death with a wheel of cheese?" -Uncle Sheo

Like Sheogorath, i love all sorts of cheese every now and then. Sometimes needs to secure the kills.

And.. whatever you use to kill someone, they call anything you use cheesy anyways. Any ultimate, Dizzy, execute skills, Leap, anything.. people die and they whisper you use cheese. If they kill you with the same thing on same build, then it`s "OK META BUILD", so.. i guess only way to kill anyone without being cheezy would be doing Unarmed fist fight until they die. I bet someone would still call even that cheesy. *shrugs*

From patch notes, I saw they made Deadly strikes apply to rapid fire (and morphs), previously it was working only for toxic barrage. I can't check now, but if on PTS Deadly works with ballista some mean combination of ballista with 5x stacks in parallel with jabs comes to mind.
  • Taktak
    Taktak
    ✭✭✭

incap is op

agree 100%
  • Davadin
    Davadin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Davadin wrote: »

It is old thread, returning player necroed it :)

ah damn.