The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Redownloading the game question

Tinolyn
Tinolyn
✭✭✭
When that next big patch hits, will it be possible to pre-download the patch that's supposed to overwrite the game into a smaller version?

Considering how slow the downloads can go (and we're talking 70 gigs of data), I'd kind of like to play that evening if possible.

@ZOS_GinaBruno @ZOS_JessicaFolsom
  • Gracous
    Gracous
    ✭✭✭
    They said in the posting that they would be giving further instruction on how to do it.
  • RefLiberty
    RefLiberty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is no logic in that, because the U25 completely overwrite and delete like 30 gigs of your current game installation. So basically since it completely changes your game data, you will not be able to pre-download it and apply later.

I mean, technically it can be done, in a way for zos to put an new game image for download, and then to apply installation on Harrowstorm official release, but i highly, highly doubt that they will do that.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gracous wrote: »
    They said in the posting that they would be giving further instruction on how to do it.

This.

Also, we have never been able to pre-download any update to ESO to the best of my knowledge because they do not have a system build for that to work. Little reason to expect that will be any different with this update.
  • Castagere
    Castagere
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would really like to see more info on this. Should I wait to play the game until this comes out? Or will I have to reinstall it with this update and do we have a set date for it?
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just need them to release it on a stick - for which I would cheerfully pay ~ $100 US.... because that would be cheaper than me having to buy extra mega GB to cover the download, then have no bw left to play on for a month. *sigh*
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Castagere wrote: »
    I would really like to see more info on this. Should I wait to play the game until this comes out? Or will I have to reinstall it with this update and do we have a set date for it?

Why would you wait? The current client is still valid and your progress is accruing.

Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Dusk_Coven
    Dusk_Coven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    They could, instead of using the PTS, make the PTS version the live game. That way people can play the game while pre-downloading, then later just copy the entire PTS folder over to the live folder.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are usually a bunch of changes between the last version of the PTS and the Live release
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Nerouyn
    Nerouyn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »
    Also, we have never been able to pre-download any update to ESO to the best of my knowledge because they do not have a system build for that to work. Little reason to expect that will be any different with this update.

They've never required every player to redownload the whole client before. That's totally new, and good reason to allow downloading ahead of time.

Doing the full redownload of the PTS took me several days.

Courtesy of Australia slow speeds + me not downloading at times when it would slow down the internet for others in the house. Lots of late night / early morning and during the work day downloading.

Some people subscribe to this game. At the very least ZO is going to have to give generous, free extensions to those subscriptions to cover this downtime. But allowing people to download ahead of time would obviously be more ideal.
  • Dusk_Coven
    Dusk_Coven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Nerouyn wrote: »

Courtesy of Australia slow speeds + me not downloading at times when it would slow down the internet for others in the house. Lots of late night / early morning and during the work day downloading.

This isn't the first thread that had concerns about downloading. One of the ideas that popped up in the other thread was ordering hardcopies like maybe a USB with the stuff you would have had to download.
    Not sure how they'd time it so that everyone could start at the same time, though. I mean, what if your delivery were delayed?
    But for really slow connections that could be an answer.
    Edited by Dusk_Coven on January 25, 2020 8:04AM
  • Tinolyn
    Tinolyn
    ✭✭✭
    Dusk_Coven wrote: »
    They could, instead of using the PTS, make the PTS version the live game. That way people can play the game while pre-downloading, then later just copy the entire PTS folder over to the live folder.

This. THIS is a simple way of answering the question, if it were official. I was thinking along those lines myself, but didn't want to bother downloading PTS and then finding out later it was a complete waste of my time.
  • Sylvermynx
    Sylvermynx
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dusk_Coven wrote: »
    Nerouyn wrote: »

This isn't the first thread that had concerns about downloading. One of the ideas that popped up in the other thread was ordering hardcopies like maybe a USB with the stuff you would have had to download.
    Not sure how they'd time it so that everyone could start at the same time, though. I mean, what if your delivery were delayed?
    But for really slow connections that could be an answer.

Well, I won't be able to start at the same time no matter how it works out for me. If it takes me several days to download, and the download isn't available ahead of time, that's later than others with "real" broadband; if a friend sends me a stick with his entire game folder on it, that's several days as well.