The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

The changes stamblade needs

Solariken
Solariken
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭✭
The state of nightblade makes me sad. High damage stamblade is one of the most fun, risky, and unique playstyles in ESO. It requires the most skill and timing to be successful in PvP of any class, yet right now it is severely handicapped when compared to most other classes. It also happens to be the only class that has to deal with being hard countered from a design standpoint. With high risk should come high reward potential.

Nightblade is THE assassin class, yet most other classes have greater single target kill power. Stamplar, StamDk, Magplar, and Magsorc specifically are leagues ahead. And then you have Stamden which has high burst like the aforementioned except that it can squash entire groups with the same stroke.

Here are a few ideas that I hope ZOS will consider to help bring stamblade (both nightblade specs in some areas) back in line:

1. The Incapacitating Strike silence needs to be a hard silence like it was on PTS, with no interaction with CC immunity. NB needs the opportunity to inflict a hard counter, just as it suffers from being hard countered. Also increase the damage on all morphs by ~5-10% OR increase the duration of the vulnerability debuffs by 2 seconds. [Calm down everyone Leap would still hit harder than this]

2. Ambush should always stun (like Toppling Charge) if striking from behind. Speed up the initial animation (ty @Strider_Roshin).

3. The expose mechanic on Piercing Mark needs to be increased to 8 seconds. Reaper's Mark should grant Major Berserk when it ends or if it is cleansed in addition to when the target dies.

4. Blur should be moved to the Shadow skill line and Veiled Strike should be moved to Assassination.

5. The Dark Vigor passive (3% max health for each slotted Shadow skill) should be replaced with a fixed amount (perhaps 8%) while any shadow skill is slotted (just like Magicka Flood) or for X seconds after activating one. This would stop us from getting executed by Mages Wrath when bar swapping in PvP.

6. Remove the cast time from Soul Siphon at least. No other defensive ultimate has a cast time, and the cast time is severely punishing and frustrating when trying to use this skill at a desired time as an OH SNIP button.

7. Leeching Strikes should restore only 1 resource, whichever is currently lowest, and the value should be increased. Siphoning Attacks should restore all 3 resources at the current values.

That's all I've got for now, maybe you guys can help fill any gaps I left, or let me know if I'm way off base on anything.
Edited by Solariken on January 18, 2020 2:42PM
  • Rikumaru
    Rikumaru
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1: Are you trolling?
    2: Doubt people would slot it because of this, since it still wouldn't be a reliable stun.
    3: People still wouldn't slot this skill.
    4: This is a nerf.
    5: 8% with a shadow skill slotted would be a nice change.
    6: Remove cast times from ultimates period.
    7: Agreed.
    Overload rework. Power Overload now does physical damage and grants you the power of a tornado: You throw a brick at the target with a light attack, and you hammer your head into that brick with every heavy attack. We have decreased its Ultimate cost, but increased the chance that you get stuck in the animation.
  • JinxxND
    JinxxND
    ✭✭✭✭
    1. Incap just needs the defile back and the cast time removed. Damage is fine on it, it's not supposed to be an execute just increase the pressure and add debuffs for the follow up which the defile and the unique vulnerability does. No stun or anything else needed.
    2. Ambush could become a single target stun but I can already see this getting spammed by zerglings like it was before and become annoying, honestly I would rather move the minor vulnerability to surprise attack stamina spammable and add a short minor defile to the gap closer for a debuff so it's a slight debuff on a class that is supposed todo disease damage but not overbearing.
    3. Piercing needs the detect buffed to like 6-8 seconds right now it's useless, Reapers mark is fine as is for offering a bigger heal and the major berserk if the target dies without you having to even attack the enemy.
    4. No, the class works fine with veiled strike and it's morphs giving nb to have a unique way to get their armor buff unlike any other class without further homogenizing the class any further, blur is fine as is if anything they could move major expedition back to it and it's morphs instead of refreshing path helping magblades that use cloak get their speed buff.
    5. I think that would be fair to just get a flat amount of hp total, don't really think this one is that big of a deal though.
    6. I think they need to just remove all cast time or if they want to keep them in game give every ult a cast time not just specific ones.
    7. Leeching strikes is fine, you want mag you can go siphoning and if you want stam you go leeching and both give hp back on light and heavy attacks.
    PC NA -
    'Jinxx - Nightblade
    'Jinxx X Necromancer
  • JinxxND
    JinxxND
    ✭✭✭✭
    Stamblade was based around having high sustain from passives and strong debuffs that would stack on a single target which allowed it to hit hard, the only real hard hitting ability is relentless it was the debuffs that allowed it to deal high amounts of damage, it's survival which was based on speed/kiting/los/shade/cloak. Nightblade both mag and stam right now is in a bad place because the terrible skill audit, tank meta, and cast times on 2 of the 3 ults it has

I have no idea what the intention of the class is with the current combat team making it super clunky and have damage mitigation something that belongs to a tank.
    PC NA -
    'Jinxx - Nightblade
    'Jinxx X Necromancer
  • Qbiken
    Qbiken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You could remove cast times from their ultimates and that would make alot of things easier and put them in a somewhat decent spot.
  • ThePhantomThorn
    ThePhantomThorn
    ✭✭✭✭
    Goooo nb!!!

But seriously we need a defile on incap. I’m using soul harvest on my STAMnb. Something I’d like to add is buff fear. Atm, fear is just a stun. It should have additional effects like other stuns. Eg. Snare, maim, fracture, vulnerability... u get what I mean. One or 2 of these would make the skill with slotting over turn evil.
  • Joinovikova
    Joinovikova
    ✭✭✭✭
    Solariken wrote: »
    The state of nightblade makes me sad. High damage stamblade is one of the most fun, risky, and unique playstyles in ESO. It requires the most skill and timing to be successful in PvP of any class, yet right now it is severely handicapped when compared to most other classes. It also happens to be the only class that has to deal with being hard countered from a design standpoint. With high risk should come high reward potential.

Nightblade is THE assassin class, yet most other classes have greater single target kill power. Stamplar, StamDk, Magplar, and Magsorc specifically are leagues ahead. And then you have Stamden which has high burst like the aforementioned except that it can squash entire groups with the same stroke.

Here are a few ideas that I hope ZOS will consider to help bring stamblade (both nightblade specs in some areas) back in line:

1. The Incapacitating Strike silence needs to be a hard silence like it was on PTS, with no interaction with CC immunity. NB needs the opportunity to inflict a hard counter, just as it suffers from being hard countered. Also increase the damage on all morphs by ~5-10% OR increase the duration of the vulnerability debuffs by 2 seconds. [Calm down everyone Leap would still hit harder than this]

2. Ambush should always stun (like Toppling Charge) if striking from behind.

3. The expose mechanic on Piercing Mark needs to be increased to 8 seconds. Reaper's Mark should grant Major Berserk when it ends or if it is cleansed in addition to when the target dies.

4. Blur should be moved to the Shadow skill line and Veiled Strike should be moved to Assassination.

5. The Dark Vigor passive (3% max health for each slotted Shadow skill) should be replaced with a fixed amount (perhaps 8%) while any shadow skill is slotted (just like Magicka Flood) or for X seconds after activating one. This would stop us from getting executed by Mages Wrath when bar swapping in PvP.

6. Remove the cast time from Soul Siphon at least. No other defensive ultimate has a cast time, and the cast time is severely punishing and frustrating when trying to use this skill at a desired time as an OH SNIP button.

7. Leeching Strikes should restore only 1 resource, whichever is currently lowest, and the value should be increased. Siphoning Attacks should restore all 3 resources at the current values.

That's all I've got for now, maybe you guys can help fill any gaps I left, or let me know if I'm way off base on anything.

I don’t understand Nb should gain some slight improvement, but these requested changes... will make NB op no skill requirement class
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I think:
    - more consistent way to snare
    - Magblade needs a burst heal
    - Cast time gone on ults

That would be decent. NB’s behind on burst, I think the thinking was it’s easier for a NB to set their burst up with cloak. Doesn’t help dark cloak builds though.

On paper NB is behind on burst no doubt about it, but that’s on paper and cloak makes it easier to set it up.
    Edited by Iskiab on January 10, 2020 4:26PM
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    totaly disagree with this thread.
    the only reason we nightblades are having a problem is due to the extreme tank builds and people that can instaheal from .001% near dead to 100% healed instantly in 1 click.
    the cast times are fine and stop and prevent us from instantly killing non tanks in pvp, because when you add in the animation canceling and insta rotations people die in what looks like 1 hit, thats way too much damage too fast for normal people that arent tank builds and dont have insta heals.
    again:
    "the problem is the tank builds and people with too much healing powers."
  • Fur_like_snow
    Fur_like_snow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cast time on ultimates worst change they made last year would benefit most classes to see them removed. Don’t understand the change to mark either doesn’t seem to last long enough to be relevant in a fight.
    Edited by Fur_like_snow on January 10, 2020 6:04PM
  • ealdwin
    ealdwin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OP makes some good points, and I agree that NB could use a few nice positive changes. A few of thoughts on the suggestions:

1. The problem with making Silence unbreakable is that it would make Incap's value very situational. Against a magicka build, it would be the best 70 Ultimate spent ever. Against a stamina build, it wouldn't be worth that 70 Ultimate. However, the current Silence does leave much to be desired. My suggestion:
    • Remove the Silence, .5 second cast time, and the 120 Ultimate mechanism
    • One of the following:
    • - Base skill applies Major Defile - Incap either stuns for 3 seconds OR keeps the Reave effect
    • - No Defile - Incap stuns for 3 seconds AND keeps the Reave effect

2. Not sure I completely agree with this change. NB could use more access to stun, just not 100% sure Ambush is the absolute best place to put it.

3. Agreeing with what JinxxND said, Piercing's detect needs increased. I might be forgetting how the skill works exactly, but the detect could also be reworked into a stealth prevention, where the afflicted target is prevented from entering stealth/invisibility for X seconds. Just a thought.

4. Also going to agree with JinxxND here. Blur just needs Minor Expedition added onto it to make it more of an assassin's getaway/kiting tool. Don't see a problem with the shadow/assassin class having multiple sources of speed boosts.

5. Agreed. I think a few other passives might need a look at as well to better synergize with a few class abilities, but can't come up with any ideas right now.

6. Agreed.

7. Could be an interesting change, but don't see much of a problem with the current version of Leeching Strikes / Siphoning Attacks though.
    Edited by ealdwin on January 11, 2020 9:26AM
  • Solariken
    Solariken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The biggest issue I'd like to see addressed is with the rock-paper-scissors balance. Nightblade is literally the only class that has to deal with being hard countered. I think this is fine, but to be balanced it needs the ability to also hard counter some opponents, therefore I think the hard silence on Incap would be justified. The devs seemed to think so too, the only reason they nerfed it was because of forum whining.
  • nublife01
    nublife01
    ✭✭✭✭

your change swapping veiled strike to assassination tree just shows you don't understand the class. stamblade needs buffs but definitely not htese.
  • Solariken
    Solariken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    nublife01 wrote: »

your change swapping veiled strike to assassination tree just shows you don't understand the class. stamblade needs buffs but definitely not htese.

I understand the class just fine. Try offering an intelligent rebuttal rather than vapid blanket statements.

It's an intended (slight) nerf to compensate for some of the other proposed changes. IMO using VS should synergize with offensive mechanics (crit passive and resource restore) rather than defensive mechanics (free major Resolve and HP). Thematically it also fits more appropriately in the Assassination tree.

Edit: @nublife01 I'm wondering if it's you who doesn't understand the class if you can't even get on board with the change to Dark Vigor. Any stamblade with 24 hours of play time will have been executed by Mages Wrath while bar swapping in Cloak because of that stupid passive.
    Edited by Solariken on January 11, 2020 11:56PM
  • nublife01
    nublife01
    ✭✭✭✭

I understand the class just fine. Try offering an intelligent rebuttal rather than vapid blanket statements.

It's an intended (slight) nerf to compensate for some of the other proposed changes. IMO using VS should synergize with offensive mechanics (crit passive and resource restore) rather than defensive mechanics (free major Resolve and HP). Thematically it also fits more appropriately in the Assassination tree.

Edit: @nublife01 I'm wondering if it's you who doesn't understand the class if you can't even get on board with the change to Dark Vigor. Any stamblade with 24 hours of play time will have been executed by Mages Wrath while bar swapping in Cloak because of that stupid passive.

Because veiled strike procs our defensive passive within the shadow tree which is better tied to a spammable due to the passive's short length ;) What is shadow barrier tho O_o It keeps the shadow barrier up at all times in pvp or it dies very fast :/
    Edited by nublife01 on January 12, 2020 6:40AM
  • LittlePinkDot
    LittlePinkDot
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    JinxxND wrote: »
    Stamblade was based around having high sustain from passives and strong debuffs that would stack on a single target which allowed it to hit hard, the only real hard hitting ability is relentless it was the debuffs that allowed it to deal high amounts of damage, it's survival which was based on speed/kiting/los/shade/cloak. Nightblade both mag and stam right now is in a bad place because the terrible skill audit, tank meta, and cast times on 2 of the 3 ults it has

I have no idea what the intention of the class is with the current combat team making it super clunky and have damage mitigation something that belongs to a tank.

I'm loving my tanky Sword & board stamblade
  • ThePhantomThorn
    ThePhantomThorn
    ✭✭✭✭
    also magblade needs a burst heal and an extra burst skill.
    our only burst skill is bow. of course theirs our ult, but other classes have multiple skills.example = curse + frag + wrath. and has a meteor and a streak aswell.
  • Sanguinor2
    Sanguinor2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    1. Hard pass. Completely screws over mag Chars and does Nothing to stam Chars. Just remove the cast time and give it a real stun in place of the pseudo stun that is the current silence.

2. Eh I guess. Dont feel strongly on it stunning or not stunning.

3. Yes to piercing no to reapers. 25% Major berserk for free is too much.

4. Idk About that one with the shadow barrier passive but I guess?

5. Seems fine.

6. Should remove all cast times, if not all then atleast on the healing Morph.

7. Siphoning and leeching are fine already.

Politeness is respecting others.
    Courage is doing what is fair.
    Modesty is speaking of oneself without vanity.
    Self control is keeping calm even when anger rises.
    Sincerity is expressing oneself without concealing ones thoughts.
    Honor is keeping ones word.
  • Jabbs_Giggity
    Jabbs_Giggity
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    our only burst skill is bow. of course theirs our ult, but other classes have multiple skills.example = curse + frag + wrath. and has a meteor and a streak aswell.

Funnel Health is still a decent burst option, but could be buffed IMO on initial damage dealt. Also, Concealed is still viable for Melee Magblades.
  • Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Because veiled strike procs our defensive passive within the shadow tree which is better tied to a spammable due to the passive's short length ;) What is shadow barrier tho O_o It keeps the shadow barrier up at all times in pvp or it dies very fast :/

@Solariken he' s right. The 2 spammable in NBs arsenal provide some form of mitigation. I you want to move Veied from the assasination line, you have to:

1- Tie dark barrier to the skill (which is a good option imho) or
    2- Trade Dark Barrier for another passive, which woud turn the assa line kind of OP, while making Shadow line passives almost useless... just like templar's aedric spear and dawn wrath lines

In any case, the main melee spammable should have a mitigation tool or at least a healing tool
    Edited by Xvorg on January 13, 2020 6:51PM
    Sarcasm is something too serious to be taken lightly

I was born with the wrong sign
    In the wrong house
    With the wrong ascendancy
    I took the wrong road
    That led to the wrong tendencies
    I was in the wrong place at the wrong time
    For the wrong reason and the wrong rhyme
    On the wrong day of the wrong week
    Used the wrong method with the wrong technique
  • Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

And you think the bow is not enough. Have you tried to fire the bow from cloak?

The things that have made mageblade inviable are a consequence to nerfs done to both staff weapon lines: Healing ward and destro reach. Bring both back and the amount of mageblades will be increased.

BTW, I think it is a huge mistake to try to make mageblade a shadowy (and bad) copy of magsorc

In the wrong house
    I took the wrong road
  • brandonv516
    brandonv516
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Funnel Health is still a decent burst option, but could be buffed IMO on initial damage dealt. Also, Concealed is still viable for Melee Magblades.

Concealed is viable but offers very little offensively to be excited about.
  • Kartalin
    Kartalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I've always thought funnel health would be unique and interesting if if maybe healed for half the amount as say templar's breath of life and also did an equal amount of damage. So damage + healing of funnel would equal healing of BoL. One morph would always heal you and have a small HoT, another morph would heal two random people (possibly you) for a slightly smaller amount.
    • PC/NA
    • Karllotta, AD Magplar, AR 50
    • Hatched-In-Glacier, DC Magden, AR 44
    • Miraliys, EP Warden, AR 35
    • Kartalin, AD Stamblade, AR 35
    • Kallenna, AD Magcro, AR 34
    • Miralys, EP Magsorc, AR 34
    • Milthalas, EP Magblade, AR 34
    • Lemon Party - Meanest Girls - @ Kartalin - Youtube
  • Joy_Division
    Joy_Division
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just revert all the nerfs and pointless mechanics like cast-times and silence and the class will be fun and strong to play again.
  • Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Kartalin wrote: »
    I've always thought funnel health would be unique and interesting if if maybe healed for half the amount as say templar's breath of life and also did an equal amount of damage. So damage + healing of funnel would equal healing of BoL. One morph would always heal you and have a small HoT, another morph would heal two random people (possibly you) for a slightly smaller amount.

It was fun when it did real dmg and healed you and 2 other guys. In fact it was the good morph (also it built ulti faster through transfer and heals).

Now it is just bad skill even with the "buff". It should heal 3 guys

In the wrong house
    I took the wrong road
  • MBBOWOLVERINE
    MBBOWOLVERINE
    ✭✭
    Tbh i like where nb is currently at, maybe give fracture or minor berserk back but overall I'm enjoying it still, i think the overall tank meta needs addressed, major protection off black rose is an issue, essence drain is vile and needs adjusting, magplar skills such as their gap closer (ranged cc with strong dmg procs off balance), sweep ultimate (big dmg aoe, dot and no cast time), bubble (offers huge defence while healing, just pure cheese tbh) ; these all need addressed as when used make magplar burst insane with not alot of room for counterplay as nb for instance can be bursted to exe instantly while magplar just holds block and spams bol, other classes seem fine minus the tank meta
  • Ozazz
    Ozazz
    ✭✭✭✭
    They butchered this class long ago as every original damage dealer class!
  • JinxxND
    JinxxND
    ✭✭✭✭
    I don't think stamblade needs much, cast time removed would help, replacing incap silence with major defile and having it 70 ult at all times, and a good debuff on the spammable like moving minor vuln from ambush to it or replacing the terrible 5% armor strip for like a bleed dot similar to wardens birds just for starters.
    PC NA -
    'Jinxx - Nightblade
    'Jinxx X Necromancer
  • Mudcrabjedi
    Mudcrabjedi
    ✭✭✭
    Honestly, for the magblade side, id just be happy with a burst heal lol. Both sides of the nightblade are really underperforming though...we need better burst in general.
  • Strider__Roshin
    Strider__Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Major defile back on Incap
    Get rid of silence from Incap (yes, that would be a buff)
    Major Fracture back on Surprise Attack
    Give Concealed Weapon Major Breach and remove the speed buff
    Make it so Mark Target reduces the Target's spell and physical resistance by 5%
    Remove or Speed up the beginning animation for Teleport Strike
    Buff the passive crit bonus
    Make it so master assassin gives a 10% bonus to weapon damage for having an assassination ability slotted
    Give major expedition back to crippling grass, but remove the snare
    Make it so Veil of Blades causes physical damage and the AoE sticks into the user like EotS
    Reduce the cost of Mass Hysteria and put Minor Maim back on it or give it a root
    Get rid of cast times