The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Help with skill rotation? Magplar

naturebased
naturebased
✭✭✭
So ive been maining magplar since I started playing and am CP 500, and ive been doing normal trials and vet dungeons. However Id like to work my way up to vet trials and see a lot of talk about rotation and parses. To be honest all i really do with my magplar is either light attack/aurora javelin/light/aurora spam from afar, puncturing sweep spam up close, and radiant oppression spam to finish off bosses. Doing these I get between 32-40k dps on the trial iron atronach, but I need to push it higher for vet trials. Does anyone have experience with magplar and can give me advice on how to increase my dps with a proper rotation?
  • thadjarvis
    thadjarvis
    ✭✭✭✭
    LA weaving and rotation is often a challenge for many to commit to practice. So, you're already well on your way.

Rotations in general: the general idea is to keep powerful damage over time abilities up all the time using as many that are as powerful (or resources efficient) per cast as your most powerful spam attack

Spam attack:
    Javelin is not your most powerful spam attack; it has reduced damage because it's a crowd control ability. I believe Elemental Weapon (Psijiic) is the highest magplar spam attack. Force Pulse is also strong if you don't have Psijic filled out. Puncturing Sweeps doesn't do the maximal single target damage but it's way better than Javelin. In any case Javelin is really only is used for PvP. Using any of the others will result in a big DPS jump.

Damage over Time (DoT):
    It does not appear that you use any DoTs. They are critical. Blazing Spear (shards), Solar Barrage, Unstable Wall of Elements, and Sun Fire (Vamp Bane) are key skills. Purifying Light is not really a DoT but it's important. Point is to keep them all up by casting in a rotation. Below is a possible static rotation:

PL - Shards - Wall - Barrage - VampBane - Degeneration (mage's guild; use spam skill or soul trap if not available)
    PL - Spam - Spam - Spam - Spam - Spam

Liko and Asiangod have videos of optimized rotations, gear, and parses for each class on youtube. Asiangod has many videos of how to execute rotation such as LA weaving.
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There’s a pretty wide variety of rotations, depending what you’re looking for. They range from simple and effective, to very complicated and difficult to squeeze out a few more % damage. Since it sounds like you’re fairly new to this, I’ll give you a decent compromise between damage and ease of play.

Front Bar: Force Pulse, Purifying Light, Radiant Oppression, Flex Slot/Shield, Inner Light, Crescent Sweep

Back Bar: Unstable Wall, Blazing Spear, Mystic Orb, Channeled Focus, Inner Light, Shooting Star

The rotation is: Channeled Focus, Mystic Orb, Blazing Spear, Unstable Wall, bar swap,
    Purifying, 5X Force Pulse, Purifying, bar swap,
    Mystic Orb, Blazing Spear, Unstable Wall, bar swap,
    3X Force Pulse, Purifying, 2X Force Pulse, bar swap,
    Repeat

This might seem complicated at first glance, but to break it down into key presses it’s not so bad. Basically starting on back bar you do 4, 3, 2, 1. Then on front bar you have 7 skills to cast, which start and end with Purifying Light, so 2,1,1,1,1,1,2. Then to back bar for a simple 3,2,1 (Focus on 4 is still running from last cast). And front bar again for a 1,1,1,2,1,1. There are only 6 casts front bar this time since you’ll need to go to back bar and refresh Focus before recasting your 3 back bar DoTs.

When you get the boss down to about 35%-40% Health you can start casting Oppression instead of Force Pulse, with each RO cast filling the time of 2 FP.

Use either ultimate on cooldown, replacing one Force Pulse at any point in the rotation.

When you get comfortable with this simple rotation you can consider adding a few other things to it. Barbed Trap or Channeled Accel can replace back bar Inner Light to add Minor Force and increase DPS by a few %, but the rotation becomes more dynamic and Trap requires you to move into melee range. Elemental Weapon can replace Force Pulse once you’ve mastered light attack weaving, but until then stick with Force Pulse. With Ele Weapon every missed light attack becomes a missed spammable, so really need close to 100% weaving before it becomes good. Solar Barrage is another good DPS skill, with a 10s duration like your other DoTs so it fits easily in a static rotatio if you ever want to add it. The complications with Barrage are that it’s damage is split between Light Attacks (buffing them with Empower) and a player based AoE, so it’s only worth using with good light attack weaving and if you are in melee distance. One more good DPS skill to consider is Ritual of Retribution, which is a large AoE and also heals you and allies. Ritual is expensive to cast so it makes sustain more difficult, and the duration does not line up with other skills so it makes the rotation dynamic (worth using once you’ve mastered the class, but not easy for beginners).

Hopefully this helps.
    Edited by WrathOfInnos on January 9, 2020 10:36PM
  • Alienoutlaw
    Alienoutlaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    tip for getting your LA weave perfected is to sit on a target dummy start with your spam skill and just slowly LA skill LA skill keep that up until dummy dead, then repeat just abit faster till you find the limit of the speed you can cast, once your happy add another skill and LA skill LA skill, maybe add a bar swap if your confident so LA BS Skill LA ect ect repeat until it becomes second nature and your not thinking about it, even with 1 skill LA you will see a DPS improvement
    Edited by Alienoutlaw on January 9, 2020 10:28PM
  • SidraWillowsky
    SidraWillowsky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    A HUGE part of Templars' DPS comes from Burning Light, which has a chance to proc when you deal damage with an Aedric Spear ability while having at least one slotted (ie, if you use Blazing Spear on your front bar and swap to back while it's ticking, you only have a chance to proc Burning Light on your back bar if you have an AS ability slotted, regardless of whether you use it). It looks like you're only using Javelin and Sweeps from that skill line, so you're probably not proccing Burning Light almost ever. You'll see a huge increase in DPS just from using Blazing Spear on your front bar and keeping that up as close to 100% of the time and then making sure that you have an AS ability on your back bar so that the BS DoT can proc Burning.

I'm not a SUPER great Magplar player, but this is my setup:

Front bar: Blazing Spear, Elemental Weapon, Radiant Oppression, Purifying Light, Degeneration/Inner Light, Shooting Star ulti

Back bar: Unstable Wall, Solar Barrage, Channeled Acceleration/Barbed Trap, Channeled Focus, Vampire's Bane, Crescent Sweep ulti (you don't want to actually use this one; it's there for the Burning Light)

Rotation (LAs in between everything):

Channeled Focus -> Trap -> Wall -> swap
    Blazing spear -> Purifying light -> swap
    Barrage -> Vamp Bane -> swap
    Purifying Light -> spear -> Degen -> Ele weap

Continue to keep up your DoTs then hit Ele Weap in between casts of Purifying if you don't have any DoTs to deal with. Blazing Spear does quite a bit of damage immediately when you cast it, so I tend to cast more often than just when it's about to run out.

Casting an ultimate is the best part- I make sure I have at least Ele Wall, Trap, and Bane up. Then I do Purifying Light -> Spear -> Shooting Star -> whatever needs to be done. It hits HARD and it's fun to look at the DPS output from when I cast Shooting Star.

When I go into execute at about 30%, I use only Trap/Acceleration and Unstable Wall on my backbar and make sure those are always up. Front bar is Spear -> Purifying Light -> Radiant Oppression x3. I'll only refresh spear when it needs it at this point to get as much Jesus Beam in as I can.
  • And0ssus
    And0ssus
    ✭✭✭
    U have a few Options here.
    First would be Melee. Melee is pretty good on magplar because u have good heals, great AoE and get the Most Out of the bruning light passive.
    Bars would be:
    Solar Barrage - Purifying Light - Punctering Strikes - Radiant Oppression - inner Light - Ult: Cresent Sweeps
    Unstable Wall of Elements - Blazing Spear - Barbed Trap/Channeld Acceleration - Channeld Focus - Inner Light - Ult: Elemental Rage (Destro Ult)

For Range would it be pretty much the Same, Just swap out solar Barrage for entropy or Vampire Bane and Punctering Strikes for Elemental weapon or Force pulse.

Rotation could be:
    Cast Channeld Focus before the Fights Starts and Buff you up with minor Force (Barbed Trap/Channeld Acceleration) and start with your ult If U have it.

Blockade - Spear
    Weapon Swap
    Solar Barrage - Purifying Light - 5 Times Punctering Strikes - Purifying Light -

Cast Channeld Focus every Seconds round and Barbed Trap too (Channeld Acceleration every 3rd round) If U do that, do that instead of the spammable in the Frontbar.

If U Play ranged, do 6 spammable instead of 5.

Swap Out spammable for Radiant Oppression at 40-35% health (3 Times)
    At around 25-20% u only need to Cast Blockade and Spear, Rest Radiant Oppression.
    Last 10% .... beam to death :D (u don't have to Cast any Dots/AoE anymore. Only make Sure, your minor u have minor Force most of the time there)

Should be ok for a static Rotation. And its pretty easy, especially the Melee one. All your aoes have an Uptime of 10 sec. u can track minor Force/Channeld Focus/Purifying Light If U want (and you are playing on PC with Addons) and Play the optimal Uptime of these skills.

You can Slot shield, additional Healing or another dot for Inner Light if you want/need it.
  • naturebased
    naturebased
    ✭✭✭
    Whats the deal with barbed trap? Using a stamina ability seems like a big dps waste
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whats the deal with barbed trap? Using a stamina ability seems like a big dps waste

There’s just no other good way to get Minor Force. Barbed Trap is more efficient than Channeled Acceleration for most fights, and the sets that give Minor Force are not worth using (Medusa and Twilight Remedy). If a Magicka version of Tzogvins existed this would be a very different story.

I wouldn’t say Minor Force is even a necessity to do well, but it will add 1-2k DPS.
  • naturebased
    naturebased
    ✭✭✭

There’s just no other good way to get Minor Force. Barbed Trap is more efficient than Channeled Acceleration for most fights, and the sets that give Minor Force are not worth using (Medusa and Twilight Remedy). If a Magicka version of Tzogvins existed this would be a very different story.

I wouldn’t say Minor Force is even a necessity to do well, but it will add 1-2k DPS.
    Theres no healer or tank skill that gives this?
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Theres no healer or tank skill that gives this?

Nope, no skills. Remedy is a healer set that gives it, but it’s nearly impossible to get decent uptimes so it’s never used.
  • And0ssus
    And0ssus
    ✭✭✭
    U can ask your Tank If he wants to guard you :D
    Overall minor Force will add more than 1-2k.
    As a Magicka DPS you normally Play with Mother's Sorrow and percise Frontbar Staff. So you have at least 70% krit.
    Every critical Hit will do 10% more dmg with that Buff.
    At avarage only your light attacks will hit at least for 1k more dmg (i set a very low avarage here).
    And light attacks are only one Part of your Rotation. Add Up your spammable, your aoe's, your Dots, other direct dmg abilitys and of course your Finisher.
    You will notice the increase of DPS with minor Force more as better you become in your Rotation (Weaving/Uptimes/etc).
    Edited by And0ssus on January 14, 2020 4:16AM
  • happyhughes2001
    happyhughes2001
    ✭✭✭✭
    Can you recommend some good set pairings or some quirky ideas?

I think I use the (basic) standard;

Inferno VMA back bar
    5 piece Mother sorrow (Staff Front Bar)
    5 piece new moon acolyte

Shadow Mundas.

Thanks