Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Return to find my underperforming build nerfed

heavier
heavier
✭✭✭
SA costs more and my Javelin doesn't throw as far
  • Kadoin
    Kadoin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I get nerfed every patch, almost like ZOS has my build front and center for nerfing (or maybe its that I can't keep my mouth shut in PTS and give honest feedback).

But hey...The bright side is that you get to do something new right!?

Now excuse me while I have to move all 98 of my golden staves into storage. Man inventory management is terrible! It's a tragedy, tragedy I tell you...
  • heavier
    heavier
    ✭✭✭
    Kadoin wrote: »
    Man inventory management is terrible! It's a tragedy, tragedy I tell you...
    it's garbage + all the automated junk mail that you get flooded with for doing content
    dunno about 98 golden staves

I am not going to try anything new because I really don't care about the game enough to revisit my decisions. (also) the way I play is that once I see something that ought to be balanced, I stick with it for the rest of my time playing.

Forcing people to constantly jump through hoops to figure out what's most brokenly powerful is bad.
    so is balancing like a spaz. when you increase the cost of a skill by 66% it's clear you're addressing a population who has complained about dying to soul assault.
    the only real use I've found for SA is overwhelming a single target that refuses to die because they're practically exploiting the terribly broken balance of ESO.
    unless they have literally no other option but to take the damage it is an awful skill. ground ults let you continue hitting the person while it's DPSing. while you're channeling SA you can't do anything else.
    make it ignore defense above a threshold and cost magicka to block. THAT'd be fun for me because another thing I hate about the game is (my impression) how there is enough sustain for magic users to tank, kite, and attack seamlessly and simultaneously.

the way 99% of MMO devs respond to player feedback is by considering the most concretely formed opinions from the people with the highest KDs and balance in a manner that might affect the viability of whatever tool they used to attain such KD.

my KD is (snip)
    that's because I play how I want to

this post aged poorly. going to vent more.
    while I still miss my SA I've made minor tweaks to my built that work way better with my measly 456 CP
    Now SA also has less DPS because they increase the duration without increasing the damage, which just makes it more likely that it will be a completely wasted 6 seconds of channel during which you could have cast a choice from any number of other ults and already be halfway through recharging Ult. SA downtime was 5 seconds + 100 Ult. Now it's 6 seconds + 166 Ult.
    things you can't do during SA without breaking channel
    1) cast heals
    2) block
    3) dodge roll
    4) light attack
    5) other forms of damage
    6) debuff
    7) buff
    you're only wasting 6 seconds and filling a slot made for the best abilities in the game with one of the worst, because your target is just going to heal through. people who don't understand why SA killed them because nothing else could also fail to understand that Soul Assault nerfed them. They were OP. and me, a responsible SA user balanced that.
    every other serious ult allows the caster to either deal damage additional throughout it's damage window (ground ults), or immediately follow up with an execution or more DPS (fast casting burst damage ults)
    6 seconds of being unable to respond to damage is enough time for many builds to go through my HP 3 times over.
    Edited by heavier on January 5, 2020 8:46AM
  • Kadoin
    Kadoin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    heavier wrote: »
    it's garbage + all the automated junk mail that you get flooded with for doing content

I am not going to try anything new because I really don't care about the game enough to revisit my decisions. (also) the way I play is that once I see something that ought to be balanced, I stick with it for the rest of my time playing.

Forcing people to constantly jump through hoops to figure out what's most brokenly powerful is bad.
    so is balancing like a spaz. when you increase the cost of a skill by 66% it's clear you're addressing a population who has complained about dying to soul assault.
    the only real use I've found for SA is overwhelming a single target that refuses to die because they're practically exploiting the terribly broken balance of ESO.
    unless they have literally no other option but to take the damage it is an awful skill. ground ults let you continue hitting the person while it's DPSing. while you're channeling SA you can't do anything else.
    make it ignore defense above a threshold and cost magicka to block. THAT'd be fun for me because another thing I hate about the game is (my impression) how there is enough sustain for magic users to tank, kite, and attack seamlessly and simultaneously.

the way 99% of MMO devs respond to player feedback is by considering the most concretely formed opinions from the people with the highest KDs and balance in a manner that might affect the viability of whatever tool they used to attain such KD.

my KD is shite

I honestly never found soul assault OP on my char whether it was mag or stam.

When 6+ of them were on me, yeah, but 6+ incap, 6+ sweep, 6+ of any ult is terrible to encounter in light or medium armor.

What I find strange about balancing during the past patches is how ZOS nerfed char power across the board, but left the power untouched only if you use certain builds or tools that were arguably the true cause of the imbalance in the first place.

Then they added sets and potions that add massive benefit with little downside, and the result is that they kill the unique builds they claimed to support and push everyone towards conformity.

ZOS also doesn't understand that with cast time changes, damage changes, cost increases, etc. it's left many classes with not enough skills to bother slotting in PvP and PvE. I used to have trouble finding a 9th and 10th skill on my bar when dropping magelight, now there is literally nothing worth slotting in those two spots unless I am running a hybrid. It's insane.

• Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

my KD is shite

When 6+ of them were on me, yeah, but 6+ incap, 6+ sweep, 6+ of any ult is terrible to encounter in light or medium armor.

What I find strange about balancing during the past patches is how ZOS nerfed char power across the board, but left the power untouched only if you use certain builds or tools that were arguably the true cause of the imbalance in the first place.

Then they added sets and potions that add massive benefit with little downside, and the result is that they kill the unique builds they claimed to support and push everyone towards conformity.

ZOS also doesn't understand that with cast time changes, damage changes, cost increases, etc. it's left many classes with not enough skills to bother slotting in PvP and PvE. I used to have trouble finding a 9th and 10th skill on my bar when dropping magelight, now there is literally nothing worth slotting in those two spots unless I am running a hybrid. It's insane.

What class? I’ve never had this issue.

A lot of abilities are underrated because people come from pve and haven’t adapted. You’re almost better doing the exact opposite of pve builds for a lot of classes.
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

my KD is shite

Could you please teem us on what class does that happen? And whats skills do you slot?
    Sarcasm is something too serious to be taken lightly

I was born with the wrong sign
    In the wrong house
    With the wrong ascendancy
    I took the wrong road
    That led to the wrong tendencies
    I was in the wrong place at the wrong time
    For the wrong reason and the wrong rhyme
    On the wrong day of the wrong week
    Used the wrong method with the wrong technique
  • Rikumaru
    Rikumaru
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Seems like your angry because the build you made to run down solo / outnumbered players has been nerfed.
    Overload rework. Power Overload now does physical damage and grants you the power of a tornado: You throw a brick at the target with a light attack, and you hammer your head into that brick with every heavy attack. We have decreased its Ultimate cost, but increased the chance that you get stuck in the animation.
  • heavier
    heavier
    ✭✭✭
    Rikumaru wrote: »

Seems like your angry because the build you made to run down solo / outnumbered players has been nerfed.

"nerfed" I was speaking too softly in OP
    it's been completely trashed. the combat in ESO is clanky and unrefined. I used to use SA to punish people who built themselves to be unkillable even when being pressured by multiple people 1vXing is mostly possible because of how much liberty a player can take in designing their build to be OP and the general simplicity/lack of nuance in PvP. why are you being condescending that I chose an Ult designed specifically to kill one person? it's the most *tips fedora* damage ult possible.
    the only way I could see it frustrating if you is if it cracked the shell you've come to expect to carry you.
    not even angry.
  • Fawn4287
    Fawn4287
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Obviously didn’t play last update magplar was the outright king pf the dot meta
  • heavier
    heavier
    ✭✭✭
    Fawn4287 wrote: »

Obviously didn’t play last update magplar was the outright king pf the dot meta

nm, you're right I didn't. I played stamplar.
    Edited by heavier on January 2, 2020 10:25PM
  • Dr_Ganknstein
    Dr_Ganknstein
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think they do nerfs like this in order to funnel everything into one build that way it is easier to balance. Once everyone is all using the same thing they can rest a little and monitor players and nerf anyone who gets out of line. Kinda like the eso version of the movie Equilibrium.
  • Strider__Roshin
    Strider__Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Soul Assault was a free win against medium builds. It needed to get nerfed. Honestly I would've just made it dodge-able or bash-able. I'm fine with powerful abilities so long as there is appropriate counterplay.
  • heavier
    heavier
    ✭✭✭
    Icky wrote: »
    I think they do nerfs like this in order to funnel everything into one build that way it is easier to balance. Once everyone is all using the same thing they can rest a little and monitor players and nerf anyone who gets out of line. Kinda like the eso version of the movie Equilibrium.

I chuckled
    Daus wrote: »
    Soul Assault was a free win against medium builds. It needed to get nerfed. Honestly I would've just made it dodge-able or bash-able. I'm fine with powerful abilities so long as there is appropriate counterplay.

I run 5 medium armor and Soul Assault was my ult until this nerf. It was satisfying to fry medium armor builds who built too far into offense. Definitely not free kills unless they were inexperienced, usually I caught them just a little "off balance" and SA was all it took to push them over the edge. Especially because I ran penetration. People who run medium armor and build 100% offense are usually looking for free wins, and it almost sounds as if that's you I'm describing...but I will for the benefit of the doubt consider the possibility that you weren't stretching your defensive resources too thin and depending on opponent's lack of penetration and your moderate tankiness to enable you to maneuver the battlefield unchallenged.
    I never felt that my deaths were unfair when I died to SA either.

Dodging SA makes 0 sense unless the ult somehow got refunded to the caster and it could only be done in the 1st second of channel. You could just eat half the damage while everyone gangs up on the person locked in channel, and when you've had enough damage, just roll away.
    Cloaking is adequate counterplay in my opinion especially because you can get a pot that does it so you don't even have to put a skill on your bar. The only reason SA worked on people with cloak at all is because they're usually so expectant that they can just cheese any serious damage by vanishing into Oblivion the instant before it lands, that half of the damage is all it takes. They just aren't built to take any damage. Also people who've been swatting at cloakers like a mosquito are delighted to take the opportunity to contribute their own damage while it's unavoidable.
    Blocking isn't really counterplay but hey that was the typical response I got when I cast it on someone who wasn't already being overwhelmed and it was very ineffective against block.

Bashing would be fine in my opinion perhaps if SA disabled gapclose. The immediate problem that raises is just gapclose -> bash and the skill is worthless.
    Edited by heavier on January 5, 2020 8:28AM