The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [IN PROGRESS] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

MagDK DPS setup & abilities

walidd24nrb18_ESO
walidd24nrb18_ESO
✭✭✭
Hello,

I recently made a Mag DK because the idea of a fire mage seems cool, but also because they presumably hit the hardest of all mag DPS classes, my main is a mag sorc which i haven't gotten higher than 65k DPS, I'm already hitting 68k+ on my mag DK, but i'm still a bit unsure of what abilities to use. At the moment my bars look like this. Frontbar: 1. Molten whip 2. Burning embers 3.Engulfing flames 4. flames of oblivion 5. inner light

Backbar: 1. channeled acceleration 2. elemental blockade 3. degeneration 4. inner light 5. eruption

Is there anything i can switch out for more DPS? Like degeneration? or Inner light on my backbar?

I do think Iv'e mastered the rotation quite well. I'm currently a high elf using shadow mundus and i use the exact same gear as on my mag sorc, so perfected false god, mother's sorrow frontbar and backbar maelstrom inf staff with berserker enchant. frontbar staff is either infused or precise depending if i'm in a trial or not. I'm at 510cp currently

Also i would like to hear your opinions on monster sets for Mag DK, at the moment i'm liking 2 1 piece crit monser sets in dung or in trials, or domihaus set for something like vSS, also i use Grothdarr quite alot for AOE

Also i don't know if precise or infused trait does more dmg on my frontbar staff? If I'm consistently doing over 67k dps with my MagDK, is it more worth taking precise or infused?

Any additional tips is also really appreciated, since I'm still relatively new to MagDK, thanks !
  • walidd24nrb18_ESO
    walidd24nrb18_ESO
    ✭✭✭
  • Narvuntien
    Narvuntien
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I have Chains on my front bar instead of Inner light. The one that gives you back mana if the target is immune so I can just spam it as much as I like, to charge the whip damage.

I use Trap over channel acceleration, I have it if I need it though. I use Molten Rune over Degeneration.

I use Sharpened on my front bar, You only ever over penetrate if you get a tank with Alkosh, but despite that being meta I rarely see it.
    Edited by Narvuntien on December 31, 2019 5:53AM
  • richo262
    richo262
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Use trap, not channeled.

It uses stam rather than mag, casts faster, and you are already in melee range.
  • Commancho
    Commancho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eruption has been over nerfed. I would replace it with consuming trap.

You don't use a magic shield which is imo big mistake. I would recommend dempen magic from light armor as magicka returns are great and it's basically godmode for few seconds. I would replace flames of oblivion with that.

I also run spell strategist with sorrow, witchmother brew food and magicka recovery mundus and I hit like a weight train while having almost 2k magicka recovery. Don't forget about dragon blood buff too - I have replaced channeled acceleration with that so I have emergency heal and resources buff in one. It's not a dummy master dps build, but I get over 65k dps with ez rotation and being noob team resistant 😁

As for the monster sets I think zaan and skoria are hands down best while skoria seems more consistent and zaan being more devastating in boss fights (not all of them however).

Skoria combined with comet ultimate on MagDK just feel amazing. Bonus fire damage is a cherry on the top. Ultimate recovery is amazing in fights with alot of trash, especially undead trash which procs even more ultimate recovery to the point where I go through some content spamming comet like normal ability 😂
    Edited by Commancho on December 31, 2019 7:41AM
  • walidd24nrb18_ESO
    walidd24nrb18_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    @richo yea true but i dont rlly have any Sustain issues - also in actual trial or Dung i always use Chan acc.... but maybe i should change barbed trap since im melee with magdk anyways
  • Banana
    Banana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    YouTube is your friend. Alcast or theasiangod will give you the answers and math if interested
  • walidd24nrb18_ESO
    walidd24nrb18_ESO
    ✭✭✭
    Commancho wrote: »
    Eruption has been over nerfed. I would replace it with consuming trap. You don't use a magic shield which is imo big mistake. I would recommend dempen magic from light armor as magicka returns are great and it's basically godmode for few seconds. I would replace flames of oblivion with that. I also run spell strategist with sorrow, witchmother brew food and magicka recovery mundus and I hit like a weight train while having almost 2k magicka recovery. Don't forget about dragon blood buff too - I have replaced channeled acceleration with that so I have emergency heal and resources buff in one. It's not a dummy master dps build, but I get over 65k dps with ez rotation and being noob team resistant 😁

Thanks :D but i really don’t like playing with Shield unless its nessecary, i believe if u play Mechanical correctly you dont need a Shield ^^ and your mag recovery is kinda overkill imo since its only healers that need that much mag recovery ... as a dd i want to optimize my dps in a Healthy Way since that’s a dd’s job :p i never really run out of Magicka in trials, Dungeons or when i do parse, as u Can see on that magdk parse i did not heavy attack a single time so i dont see any reason for me to get more Sustain :d but yea i really want to try out Spell strat for single target bosses and see how it performs :D also Siroria when i get it
  • UntilValhalla13
    UntilValhalla13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
  • Commancho
    Commancho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I can name plenty of content where you need alot of mag recovery, mobility and self heals despite healer and tank doing their job. Anyway, try strategist, skoria and comet ultimate from mages guild. You will love it.
  • Somewhere
    Somewhere
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have personally found that precise on front bar with a poison to offer the most damage compared to other combinations. To be fair it's kind of splitting hairs at that point but if you can get 65k dps at 510 you can get solidly more at 810 and with siroria. Precise inferno enchantment offers relatively small dps, and doesn't offer a sizable increase in your uptime on burning.

Your passives make the poisoned condition actually good as well. A strong damage poison does modest damage, and the poisoned condition adds to that. That combination can be up to 1k at least more dps over the alternatives. It also helps you implement bashes into your build if you choose to do so. There are many instances in trials where it's easy to add bashes with relative ease.
  • carlos424
    carlos424
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you’re trying to maximize parses, use sororia front bar precise staff and mother’s sorrow. Even non-perfected sororia beats out everything else. Perfected will give you 2-3k higher. I would always use a precise-traited staff on the front bar due to the crit meta. This setup will also be optimal in trials if you can maintain sororia stacks and don’t have issues with sustain. Most people now use false god’s due to sustain issues, and for the mobility it allows.
    In my opinion, the second best setup is spell strat (precise) front bar with false god’s body. Good combination of crit and spell damage.
    Edited by carlos424 on December 31, 2019 2:30PM