Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Furnishing Materials Shortage Suggestion

Tigerseye
Tigerseye
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
So, it suddenly occurred to me that you could increase the chance of finding furnishing materials (like Decorative Wax, Mundane Runes, Heartwood etc.) with the number of furnishing recipes a character has learned.

With green recipes increasing your chances more than white ones, blue more than green and so on...

If you have learned a lot of furnishing recipes (especially rarer ones), you have proven you are, at least, interested in learning them (rather than just selling them) and there is a good chance you are into housing and making furniture, too.

Meaning you have a far greater need for furnishing mats than the average player.

I don't know if this is possible, but I just thought I would put it out there as a suggestion.
  • Zypheran
    Zypheran
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I like that idea.
    Also, I think furnishing writs would be a good edition. Craft items and get random furniture recipies in the reward box.
    All my housing builds are available on YouTube
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCf3oJ_cxuu01HmWZJZ6KK6g?view_as=subscriber
    I am happy to share the EHT save files for most of my builds.
  • MrGhosty
    MrGhosty
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    the biggest fix I think they could do is have them drop from material survey nodes via their respective surveys (i.e. regulus from blacksmith nodes, etc)

I also think they should reduce the costs associated with crafting these items, or at least give us some functionality to break down unwanted furnishings for material back.

I would also like to see a dedicated workbench added that allows us to see all recipes we have in one place, rather than having to run between stations.

It feels like housing mostly just exists to drain materials out of the economy, but if that is the case I would rather they treat the special furnishing ingredients more like style stones and let us use base materials for the bulk. I have no issue with purple or gold quality furnishings continuing to require high costs as those items are usually special "keystone" style items that you would not likely be crafting hundreds of them. Basic items like chairs, rugs, cupboards, etc should be relatively cheap as they are fairly common place items. Basic construction items like walls, floors, etc should be the cheapest to produce. It's frustrating to harvest as much as you can and save up materials for months only to burn through your stocks before being able to complete a project.

I don't want to devalue the finished items or the materials much as I understand some people may lean on selling those things, but these costs are kind of out of hand. Making the changes I mentioned should go a long way to making housing less of a chore and still retain value for farmers as lowered cost might see more people crafting furnishings.
    "It is a time of strife and unrest. Armies of revenants and dark spirits manifest in every corner of Tamriel. Winters grow colder and crops fail. Mystics are plagued by nightmares and portents of doom."
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Zypheran wrote: »
    I like that idea.
    Also, I think furnishing writs would be a good edition. Craft items and get random furniture recipies in the reward box.

I struggle just to get the existing daily crafting writs done and have to ration out how often I can craft furniture for my houses. I would not be able to do furniture writs for this reason.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• Anotherone773
    Anotherone773
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Tigerseye wrote: »
    So, it suddenly occurred to me that you could increase the chance of finding furnishing materials (like Decorative Wax, Mundane Runes, Heartwood etc.) with the number of furnishing recipes a character has learned.

I like it. It would be similar to how motifs affect writs.
    I like that idea.

Also like this one. Maybe even have prints exclusive to writs. Like a whole set of furnishing prints that can only be gained from doing writs. Instead of making them permanent, make them limited use. 5 uses for a green, 3 for a blue, 1 for a purple. With the ability to stack( store) uses up to 100 per print. Then you have something that is depleteable and exclusive to furniture makers.
  • Hotdog_23
    Hotdog_23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Good ideas here.

Furniture writs using base material would be a nice addition for those that want to do it. Please don’t give me back furniture in return unless I can deconstruct it for materials.

Really like the workbench idea where you can see and craft all crafting recipes in one place.

For console users please give us a list of all recipes in game so we can look for the ones we don’t know easier. It would be a nice base game addition.

• Jayne_Doe
    Jayne_Doe
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    MrGhosty wrote: »
    the biggest fix I think they could do is have them drop from material survey nodes via their respective surveys (i.e. regulus from blacksmith nodes, etc)

I also think they should reduce the costs associated with crafting these items, or at least give us some functionality to break down unwanted furnishings for material back.

It feels like housing mostly just exists to drain materials out of the economy, but if that is the case I would rather they treat the special furnishing ingredients more like style stones and let us use base materials for the bulk.

I don't think housing is designed to drain materials out of the economy. If it were, then they wouldn't have introduced special furnishing mats. Daily writs are designed to drain mats. Housing is designed to drain gold from the economy (buying houses, plans, furnishings (from players and all the vendors), etc.). And, to give players an additional reason to become a master crafter.

I think the cost of crafting is fine, but many, like you, have asked for a way to decon unwanted furniture to get some resources back. I think that would be helpful.

Also, I think using base mats would be problematic since they'd either have to use just one material, such as Maple or Ruby Ash, e.g., or split it out and then players HAVE to keep all tiers of mats on hand. I think that would be a bit too complicated
    I like that idea.

Also like this one. Maybe even have prints exclusive to writs. Like a whole set of furnishing prints that can only be gained from doing writs. Instead of making them permanent, make them limited use. 5 uses for a green, 3 for a blue, 1 for a purple. With the ability to stack( store) uses up to 100 per print. Then you have something that is depleteable and exclusive to furniture makers.

We already have plans exclusive to writs - Rolis Hlaalu and Faustina sell them. I don't particularly like the idea of furnishing dailies, as I don't have nearly enough furnishing mats to sustain doing them, and if the New Life and Deep Winter writs are any indication, they'd use up far too many precious mats for a random furnishing plan as a potential reward. And we all know that if they guaranteed a plan in the reward box, purple would be extremely rare, with the majority being white or green. Not worth the trouble to me, unless maybe some rare style mats are included, as well as a small return on the mats you just used and perhaps a chance at some improvement mats.

ETA: We all saw how the prices of furnishing mats soared in response to the Deep Winter writs (I don't recall a similar rise last year with the New Life writs, but perhaps there was). If they were to introduce furnishing dailies, you can bet that furnishing mat prices would increase.

In response to the OP - I like the idea of furnishing plan knowledge increasing your chances of obtaining furnishing mats from nodes. I think this is a better idea than adding these mats to the surveys, as we all know players would just hoard surveys before it's introduced in a patch, producing a glut of furnishing mats, which I don't think ZOS wants. It's worth noting that during the Homestead patch on PTS, furnishing mats DID drop from the surveys - except for Alchemy. A future patch didn't fix the alchemy surveys to drop the mats, but rather "fixed" the other surveys to no longer drop these mats. If ZOS were to reintroduce it to the surveys, I think it would have to be lower than Nirncrux drop rates, as Nirncrux is already limited to Craglorn BS, Clothing, & WW surveys.
    Edited by Jayne_Doe on December 27, 2019 7:32PM
  • quake89
    quake89
    ✭✭✭
    If you farm enough mats it shouldn't be a problem I'm a housing nut and I have more than enough for my needs and my friends. Failing that flog some crowns in zone chat and buy what you need from guild stores.

Alternatively, give me a dedicated housing material hireling, just don't add them to surveys. Surveys should be obsolete I mean I don't know any master crafter that would fetch his own materials so why do I have to XD. Let me exchange my surveys at a vendor.

PC -EU
  • Pinoh
    Pinoh
    ✭✭✭
    MrGhosty wrote: »

Yep current festival has really disturbed market for items that were really only available in limited quantities. Its like ZOS doesn't even monitor is own closed economy and lets market manipulation run rampant. And to top it off they introduce furniture crafting writs that require a dozen items, totally oblivious to how it will effect the market.
    come visit my slide at my enchanted snow globe
  • TheImperfect
    TheImperfect
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those deep winter writs decimated my supply of heartwood. I know that I didn't have to do them but I really wanted the skaal style.
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    mrsrobot wrote: »
    Those deep winter writs decimated my supply of heartwood. I know that I didn't have to do them but I really wanted the skaal style.

Yeah, rough crates require heartwood. Doesn’t seem right to me. That would use the equivalent of particle board in real life.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA