Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 15
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
The issue is resolved, and the North American PC/Mac megaserver is now available. Thank you for your patience!

Can't Install Game - 1+ Year

ml.moshi_ESO
ml.moshi_ESO
Soul Shriven
Hello,

For more than a year I have not been able to install or play the game.

I get a java error when I load the installer that I downloaded from www.elderscrollsonline.com. I am on Windows 10 64 Bit.

It gives the below errors:

This Application has Unexpectedly Quit
Invocation of this Java Application has caused an InvocationTargetException. This application will now exit. (LAX)

...upon clicking "Details..."...

java.lang.Error: Trampoline must not be defined by the bootstrap classloader
at sun.reflect.misc.Trampoline.<clinit>(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.Class.forName0(Native Method)
at java.lang.Class.forName(Unknown Source)
at sun.reflect.misc.MethodUtil.getTrampolineClass(Unknown Source)
at sun.reflect.misc.MethodUtil.access$000(Unknown Source)
at sun.reflect.misc.MethodUtil$1.run(Unknown Source)
at sun.reflect.misc.MethodUtil$1.run(Unknown Source)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.misc.MethodUtil.getTrampoline(Unknown Source)
at sun.reflect.misc.MethodUtil.<clinit>(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.UIDefaults.getUI(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.UIManager.getUI(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.JPanel.updateUI(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.JPanel.<init>(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.JRootPane.createGlassPane(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.JRootPane.<init>(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.JFrame.createRootPane(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.JFrame.frameInit(Unknown Source)
at javax.swing.JFrame.<init>(Unknown Source)
at com.zerog.ia.installer.LifeCycleManager.a1(Unknown Source)
at com.zerog.ia.installer.LifeCycleManager.a3(Unknown Source)
at com.zerog.ia.installer.LifeCycleManager.executeApplication(Unknown Source)
at com.zerog.ia.installer.Main.main(Unknown Source)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Unknown Source)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Unknown Source)
at com.zerog.lax.LAX.launch(Unknown Source)
at com.zerog.lax.LAX.main(Unknown Source)

Things I have tried:

Uninstalling Java
Repairing Java
Compatibility Mode
Run as Administrator
Run as Administrator in Compatibility mode
Repairing Windows
Downloading the Installer on different browsers [Edge, IE, Firefox, Chrome]
Removing Java completely
Removing Java registry keys
Re-installing Java
Testing Java in IE to verify the installation
Different versions of Java
Installing when Java is completely removed

This error has been posted about on this board years ago but I can't understand their steps and their uploaded files no longer exist.

I would really love to play this game and try installing once a month - hoping that something has changed but it never works.

Would really love some assistance.
  • RSmith9124
    RSmith9124
    ✭✭
    It could be you don't have the visual c++ 64 bit or whatever that is installed I couldn't install the game for six months until I manually went to the Microsoft website downloaded it and fixed my problem once installed.
  • ZOS_PeterT
    ZOS_PeterT
    ✭✭✭
    This error is a Java fatal application error and some solutions have been found to successfully progress with the installation.

Instead of running the .exe file that you've downloaded, you can try extracting the installation files from the .exe itself by unzipping the installer.

Look for the Bethesda.net_Launcher.exe file once you unpack the installer; try running the installer from there manually.

The Fatal Application Error message can refer to multiple root causes.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios

Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site

Staff Post
  • hoyle777b14_ESO
    ZOS_PeterT wrote: »
    This error is a Java fatal application error and some solutions have been found to successfully progress with the installation.

Instead of running the .exe file that you've downloaded, you can try extracting the installation files from the .exe itself by unzipping the installer.

Look for the Bethesda.net_Launcher.exe file once you unpack the installer; try running the installer from there manually.

How about instead of all this crap...you patch it so it just runs on Windows 10??
  • Leandor
    Leandor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ZOS_PeterT wrote: »

How about instead of all this crap...you patch it so it just runs on Windows 10??

But it does. I have four Win10 installations running smoothly, with two of those being very recent new machines and the installation on those went perfectly fine just maybe five weeks ago while the other two are on several year old machines upgraded to Win10 and ESO around end of 2016, so framing the actual occurence of OPs issue.

So instead of necroing a 1.5 year old post with generalizing and white knighting for someone else, stay calm and try the specific solution given to a problem that does by no means affect a majority of specific hard/software combinations that are possible on PC and probably is resolved already for almost anyone?
    Edited by Leandor on June 28, 2018 5:35AM
  • Slick_007
    Slick_007
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i just built a whole new pc, installed windows 10, installed network drivers, installed ESO. in that order. no additional software. worked flawlessly.

to install eso, after my wifi drivers were in, went straight to the website, logged in and clicked download game.
  • KannoJohnson
    KannoJohnson
    Soul Shriven
    Naïve, just cause it worked flawlessly for you does not mean anything I just freshly installed this game and am getting this ridiculous error. Do I have to delete my 80 gig download and redownload through the browser? I purchased this on steam
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    Since this thread is nearly three years old we will be closing the discussion. If you are having a specific issue preventing you from installing ESO, please feel free to start a new thread detailing the exact issue.
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
This discussion has been closed.