The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Proc sets? good or bad

ThePhantomThorn
ThePhantomThorn
✭✭✭✭
So proc sets are a sensitive topic among long term players.
but are they all that bad?

viper for example. used to deal 12k? instant damage and could crit. now is 6.4k over 4 secs. and no crit.
i understand why they were op. undodgable procs that oneshotted... fun but op and bad overall.
but atm, very few proc sets are even viable.
sets like veli in my opinion are fine. avoidable, but deal good damage if hit.
however alot of proc sets are very underwhelming and almost useless.
i think buffing a few of the less viable proc sets would add some build diversity to endgame pvp.
so imo we need a middle ground where proc sets are viable, and good. but not op.
eg, a change that i would like to see to vipers, is the set would have a 50% chance to deal 8k (tooltip) instant damage on a melee attack with a 4 - 6 sec cooldown. this would not be able to crit of course. and for comparison veli has a 13k tooltip.

any thoughts?

and please take no notice of @pieratsos he is being rude and not contributing to this thread
Edited by ThePhantomThorn on December 14, 2019 1:52AM
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Buffing Proc sets is not going to substantially buff diversity in competitive PVP. If those sets become the meta, more people will run them to the exclusion of other sets - not diversity, just difference. If they don't, very few people will.

You also wander straight into the eternal debate of skill vs gear. More powerful damage proc sets tend to create a meta where players depend on their gear, which is more prevalent in No CP where gear bonuses are proportionately more powerful. Your suggestion for Viper vs Velidreth is a perfect example. Velidreth is a more powerful proc with a basic aiming requirement and counterplay of dodging or moving away from the procced effect. Your suggestion for Viper is effectively 8k free damage whenever it procs, when one of the reasons it was changed to a DOT was to increase the counterplay by reacting to a DOT rather than burst damage.
  • kollege14a5
    kollege14a5
    ✭✭✭
    They should buff the offensive undaunted sets like velidreth, selene, ... so they become as strong as their defensive counterparts like bloodspawn, trollking, ...
  • Kartalin
    Kartalin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Proc sets that give free damage are lame. Sets like Blood Spawn are more creatively designed, that's the type of concept we need more of. Not like viper or sloads.
    • PC/NA
    • Karllotta, AD Magplar, AR 50
    • Hatched-In-Glacier, DC Magden, AR 44
    • Miraliys, EP Warden, AR 35
    • Kartalin, AD Stamblade, AR 35
    • Kallenna, AD Magcro, AR 34
    • Miralys, EP Magsorc, AR 34
    • Milthalas, EP Magblade, AR 34
    • Lemon Party - Meanest Girls - @ Kartalin - Youtube
  • ThePhantomThorn
    ThePhantomThorn
    ✭✭✭✭
    Kartalin wrote: »
    Proc sets that give free damage are lame. Sets like Blood Spawn are more creatively designed, that's the type of concept we need more of. Not like viper or sloads.

i could argue that bloodspawn just gives free resistances and ult. same thing, just defensively oriented.
  • ChunkyCat
    ChunkyCat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    sure
  • JanTanhide
    JanTanhide
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Love proc sets. Gives a lot to build diversity.

Couldn't care less about PVP.
  • Zer0_CooL
    Zer0_CooL
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We've been there already. Pure dmg proc is good as it is right now.
  • Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Proc sets are OK since ZoS removed the crit chance from them. Could they be buffed? Yeah, but not so much... I don't want NBs killing me just buy using Selene
    Sarcasm is something too serious to be taken lightly

I was born with the wrong sign
    In the wrong house
    With the wrong ascendancy
    I took the wrong road
    That led to the wrong tendencies
    I was in the wrong place at the wrong time
    For the wrong reason and the wrong rhyme
    On the wrong day of the wrong week
    Used the wrong method with the wrong technique
  • Urvoth
    Urvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Proc sets are in a good place right now. There’s a mix of good utility sets like bloodspawn, trollking, grundwolf, engine guardian, etc, but still some useful damage ones like aurorans, valkyn, grothdarr. The damage sets are solid but it’s always a tradeoff and not a no-brainer pick.
  • Marcus684
    Marcus684
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The sheer number of proc set insta-gib builds a few patches ago highlighted the downside of strong proc sets. Even I, a solidly average PvPers, could slap Viper/Veli on my stam blade and wreck better players that I caught with their guard down. Bringing them down to their current state was the right thing to do, and I feel that overall they’re in a good place: useful but not overly so.
  • MartiniDaniels
    MartiniDaniels
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Buffing proc sets will buff tank meta.. so I don't think anybody wants it. They can make proc sets scale damage with effective weapon/spell power... that will be interesting for build diversity.
  • Freakin_Hytte
    Freakin_Hytte
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like proc sets in general, mostly because it's fun theory craft with and make your own builds that you think you'll enjoy. But of course, from time to time there will be procc sets that are over performing and others that are under performing. But that's just the way of mmos.
  • ThePhantomThorn
    ThePhantomThorn
    ✭✭✭✭
    Buffing proc sets will buff tank meta.. so I don't think anybody wants it. They can make proc sets scale damage with effective weapon/spell power... that will be interesting for build diversity.

thats a nice idea, like viper. deals x damage. scales of max stam and weapon damage. would be really fun.
  • ketsparrowhawk
    ketsparrowhawk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Procs are still very strong in non-CP. I have a cheesy stamDK in Viper + Red Mountain + Valkyn, and with only 2300 wep damage she shreds in BG's.

Btw, according to Combat Metrics, Viper is consistently one of my top 3 sources of damage, and often #1. Still a good set.
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Personally I don't like & use many proc sets... because they are often un-relaiable. I mean if something has 10% chance to proc then yeah, it is kinda RNG that decides if you deal extra dmg, or have extra heal, and as a result - if you win or fail.

Personally, I look more on a % chance to proc more than on the effect that will occur. Also proc-sets that you have control over and can trigger them easily (like Troll King for example) those don't have that RNG-thing build in so it is not a pure "luck" that makes me win or lose a battle. Those are good. I prefer to have less powerful effect, but more reliable.

btw. Often I tend to run 2 x 1 pcs of 2 different monster sets, just for constant passive stat boost.
    Edited by Tommy_The_Gun on December 11, 2019 8:24PM
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    make some proc sets stronger?
    sure, why not.
    i vote yes.
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Xvorg wrote: »
    Proc sets are OK since ZoS removed the crit chance from them. Could they be buffed? Yeah, but not so much... I don't want NBs killing me just buy using Selene

this ^
    i still vote yes but let the damage just slight increase on the ones that need.
    just buff according, so some of them, are not too powerfull, yet others that are too weak can be stronger.
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I think almost all proc sets are undertuned across the board.

Most people are okay with this, guess I am too. I’m indifferent to whether they decide to change it or not.

I think buffing them would just create a cycle where people would complain about them. People like complaining.
    Edited by Iskiab on December 11, 2019 9:17PM
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • Raudgrani
    Raudgrani
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Only offensive ones I really remember seeing, is Zaan, Caluurion and Icy Conjuror. In PVP their damage tends to be pretty low, except for the two first I mentioned. They can be pretty beefy every now and then, still not a problem IMHO. More or a waste to try and rely on proc sets now.
  • oxygen_thief
    oxygen_thief
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    report.jpg
    one guy posted this report after a fight with a tanky player. as you can see almost 40% of his damage comes from the proc sets. you shouldnt hit anyone just because you have some gear on you. your abilities should kill people not your hat and trousers as for me
  • ThePhantomThorn
    ThePhantomThorn
    ✭✭✭✭
    Gilvoth wrote: »
    Xvorg wrote: »

this ^
    i still vote yes but let the damage just slight increase on the ones that need.
    just buff according, so some of them, are not too powerfull, yet others that are too weak can be stronger.

thats exactly what i mean.
    viable, not op.
    zos needs to understand what that means
  • ThePhantomThorn
    ThePhantomThorn
    ✭✭✭✭
    report.jpg
    one guy posted this report after a fight with a tanky player. as you can see almost 40% of his damage comes from the proc sets. you shouldnt hit anyone just because you have some gear on you. your abilities should kill people not your hat and trousers as for me

umm sloads. lol
    that was op. try it now. and zaan is easily avoidable and fine where it is
  • WreckfulAbandon
    WreckfulAbandon
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Proc sets are fine as long as the numbers behind them are balanced.

"Letting your gear kill for you" literally describes every build in the game unless you run around naked
    PC NA

All my comments are regarding PvP
  • StackonClown
    StackonClown
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    JanTanhide wrote: »
    Love proc sets. Gives a lot to build diversity.

Couldn't care less about PVP.

Used to love using Viper in PVE when it could crit - then someone died in PVP and started crying - then all these sets got trashed - I deconned all my viper gear and it is now added to the list of trash sets.

Thanks Zenny for listening to croc tears of whoever died in PVP
  • StackonClown
    StackonClown
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    report.jpg

Acoording to who's universal law shouldn't you not hit someone due to gear? - its a game - you can hit whatever the software gets designed to hit...
  • oxygen_thief
    oxygen_thief
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    report.jpg

Acoording to who's universal law shouldn't you not hit someone due to gear? - its a game - you can hit whatever the software gets designed to hit...

its not about a real world or a game its about competitiveness. there shouldnt be "free" damage in a fight
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    but atm, very few proc sets are even viable.

Viable used in a vacuum is very vague.

Are most proc sets viable for leaderboard topping score runs in vet trials? Some yes (monster sets) and most no.
    Are proc set viable for a lesser experienced player to help them do ok with doing damage, yes. In most cases, or all, they require less skill to get the damage out.

Player skill should always trump the use of procs doing the heavy lifting.
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    report.jpg

People experiment. I bet you $20 that player isn’t around anymore, look at those damage amounts, that build would have trouble killing a potato.
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • Dr_Ganknstein
    Dr_Ganknstein
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    report.jpg

This logic is flawed. If you wear gear that has a proc then you sacrifice that over a set that simply adds damage. Basically that's doing the same thing.
  • oxygen_thief
    oxygen_thief
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Icky wrote: »
    report.jpg

This logic is flawed. If you wear gear that has a proc then you sacrifice that over a set that simply adds damage. Basically that's doing the same thing.

oh really? you cant use two abilities simultaneously for example. proc sets increase your burst potential thats why people use them