The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Let's have a hard mode for quests ?

• mocap
    mocap
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Has been said many times, overland Battle spirit, personal debuf.
    No interference with instances or new players.

ZOS doesn't care about it. Deal with it.
  • redgreensunset
    redgreensunset
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    mocap wrote: »

This could work. As long as it is optional and the rewards doesn't change, by all means. Personally I have other priorities I'd rather have them spend time and effort on but that's my list and something like this would be workable.
  • Anumaril
    Anumaril
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rather than individually picking a hard/normal mode on every quest you do, I would prefer to see a general 'Hardmode' option available for all overland content which shards you in with other people who have the same option enabled.
    Overland content has gotten so easy I've resorted to creating specific overland content builds designed to be weak so that I feel challenged when I do quests, though even that is often not enough. We truly do need some structural aid from ZOS.
  • FierceSam
    FierceSam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

And ZOS doesn’t implement this because first, the demand while there is way, way too low, and second, because it is far, far easier for the player to do it themselves.

You want to make it harder, just make it harder. And you can make it exactly as hard as you want. Remove your CP, or remove your CP and only use weapon skills, or remove CP, only use weapon skills and only wear white armour.... start the zone naked with a new character and only use what you can find. You can customise it to be exactly what you want in a way that ZOS could never do. Take responsibility for your experience rather than insisting ZOS mummys you through everything. And that surely would be far more fun than any ‘one size fits all’ thing ZOS could come up with.

• idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It would not be battle spirit if it is something that is personal. Battle Sprit effects every player while they are in PvP. It is not selective. In other words, it is not as easy as the comment makes it out to be leaving the only reason we do not have it is because Zos does not think it is worth the effort in the business sense. Likely because interest is way to low. There is probably a reason why the overland difficulty of older MMORPGs is not common today.
  • FierceSam
    FierceSam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »

It would not be battle spirit if it is something that is personal. Battle Sprit effects every player while they are in PvP. It is not selective. In other words, it is not as easy as the comment makes it out to be leaving the only reason we do not have it is because Zos does not think it is worth the effort in the business sense. Likely because interest is way to low. There is probably a reason why the overland difficulty of older MMORPGs is not common today.

You could argue that the total failure of Craglorn as a ‘vet questing’ zone is why ZOS is unlikely to move in this direction again. It’s a load of extra work for no discernible benefit with a ton of additional failure points.

It emphasises the difference between single and multiplayer games in terms of the ability to have multiple levels of difficulty.
  • Gythral
    Gythral
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    What they really mean is
    "Give us better loot"

Few that want this actually want a harder mode, they just want better loot to make things even easier, and make the power creep even worse!

And "original" Craglorn is why it will not happen!
    “Be as a tower, that, firmly set,
    Shakes not its top for any blast that blows!”
    Dante Alighieri, The Divine Comedy
  • andreasv
    andreasv
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've recently went back to SWTOR and found a well hidden symbol in the right lower corner of the screen that offered me different difficult settings. When I selected the highest I actually had one boss bringing my HP down to around 20%, which was a really fun fight.

I'm assuming they adjust my characters stats as I haven't been put in a different instance. It was actually quite nice to be able to choose your settings instead of find ways to gimp your character yourself.
  • mocap
    mocap
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would not be battle spirit if it is something that is personal. Battle Sprit effects every player while they are in PvP
    You cling to words. Rename Battle Spirit to whatever, i dunno "Battle stance" and make it personal like food bufs, but it is debuf. Get the point.
  • mocap
    mocap
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    FierceSam wrote: »
    Remove your CP, or remove your CP and only use weapon skills, or remove CP, only use weapon skills and only wear white armour.... start the zone naked
    play naked, yeah, i waited that advice. "Kill world bosses with bare hands" - advanced version of play naked xd

Removing CP is price, 3k, then if you want to do dungeons - pay again. Meh.
    And second, i can use white gear, but i can't nerf my gameplay skills, 2-3 skills burst combo will melt any 32k mobs in seconds with white gear and no CP.
    Advice me to play just with light attacks? You totally didn't get the point too.

And ZOS doesn’t implement this because first, the demand while there is way, way too low
    lol
    just fast google for titles:

Overland addition suggestion
    Questing and leveling feels too easy
    overland is to easy
    Do you find overland pve too easy?
    Idea to improve overland content (it's too easy...stop the
    PVE overland difficulty set
    An option to turn off cp in overland
    Fixing "too easy" and "no incentive" to replay
    Difficulty of this game
    Veteran option for open world questing?

and most of that threads has 5+ pages of discussion.
    Edited by mocap on December 9, 2019 10:32AM
  • Strider__Roshin
    Strider__Roshin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah they're not going to bud. This is a game for casuals. If you're not a fan of victory being handed to you I'd only purchase dlc for the gear that comes with it not the story.
  • Plodeoca
    Plodeoca
    ✭✭✭
    In principle there's nothing wrong with that option, but I'd wager it would need to be a separate instance from everyone else due to the way ESO is structured. Could end up being a very empty experience.

Another option that had been suggested by someone was to introduce a "debuff" food/drink that you could use to essentially gimp your toon to make things harder.

AND While having that debuff you will have an increase exp gained, increase the gold find in chests and mobs, and why not, increased quest rewards in terms of quality of items and for the longer quest lines some gold reward like exp scrolls, or a gold item, or a gold temper.. why not?
  • TheFM
    TheFM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Would prefer the already resource starved dev team not allocate resources on this, when there are already methods to do what you want.

Wear white tier gear
    Unallocate CP
    Remove attribute points
    Don't eat food
    Dont use enchantments
    Etc.

There are lots of handicaps you can give yourself to make the experience more challenging

Resource starved team? They are making an ABSURD amount of profit from this game.
    Would prefer the already resource starved dev team not allocate resources on this, when there are already methods to do what you want.

Wear white tier gear
    Unallocate CP
    Remove attribute points
    Don't eat food
    Dont use enchantments
    Etc.

There are lots of handicaps you can give yourself to make the experience more challenging

Im sorry, but mmorpgs are supposed to have progression, heck, even rpgs do, a simple instance for vet with a higher chance of gold or purple items would be totally reasonable. Putting on garbage gear completely removes the accomplishment aspect of the game.
  • TheFM
    TheFM
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Anumaril wrote: »
    Rather than individually picking a hard/normal mode on every quest you do, I would prefer to see a general 'Hardmode' option available for all overland content which shards you in with other people who have the same option enabled.
    Overland content has gotten so easy I've resorted to creating specific overland content builds designed to be weak so that I feel challenged when I do quests, though even that is often not enough. We truly do need some structural aid from ZOS.

Thats exactly what ive resorted to doing, overland builds. Makes boss fights at least slightly longer, but still not enough.
  • Haquor
    Haquor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Czinczar wrote: »
    I am doing Elsweyr main quest and I am sorry but you can't have something interesting if there is no challenge. When everything dies so easily it cannot be interesting. I know this is not a new complaint but the devs really need to do something about that. And main quest enemies are even easier to defeat than normal quests enemies.

So let's have a hard mode for quests ? When the quest starts, you have a choice to start it in hard mode or normal mode. In hard mode, enemies should have more health and deal more damage and even have their skills rearranged to offer a greater challenge(let's say 4men dungeon life and damage). There could also be a hardcore mode where if you die just once after starting the quest, the quest resets and you have to start over from the beginning. And of course there could be many new achievements linked to that hard mode. Rewards could be rearranged too.

It's so sad to see all these quests and being forced to play "very easy" mode all the time. Make it a DLC if you want and I would buy it.

More math is exactly what the servers need.
  • Czinczar
    Czinczar
    ✭✭✭
    The rewards are also part of the problem, who wants a random green item as reward, really ? If there was no reward at all I think it would even be better. So as it stands, we have gimmick quests, with gimmick enemies, in gimmick dangerous places, and gimmick rewards.

• stefan.gustavsonb16_ESO
    stefan.gustavsonb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you're looking for challenge there's veteran maelstrom arena and veteran dungeons and trials.

Except for a few of the DLC dungeons, veteran dungeons are not really much of a greater challenge. I have taken groups of "vet virgins" on non-DLC vet dungeon runs, guildies who consider themselves "casual players" (which is really all there is, this is certainly not a job to any of us), and they mostly react to their first vet run with "Was that the fabled veteran difficulty? Really? That's it? Wow."

What you are referring to is a few vet DLC dungeons, a few vet trials and one solo vet arena. The really challenging content in ESO amounts to a total of a few hours of repetitive, narrowly combat-focused gameplay, and it gets old very quickly.

The quests, in comparison, are hundreds of hours of fun and well designed content with lots of variation and often great storytelling. I am not asking for the game to be more difficult for other people, many of which have not played it for hundreds of hours and found builds and strategies that make their characters "powerful", like I have. I am just asking for some challenge to make me enjoy the quests in newly released zones, and repeat the old quests with new characters.

I cannot unlearn how to play. Specifically not using a good strategy when playing means ignoring my experience with the game, and that is not enjoyable. Just give me a hassle-free, no-reward and no-cost toggle, or difficulty slider, or something, to face a somewhat greater challenge when I do quests. Then I would enjoy the questing part of the game again, and I would suddenly have tons of fun stuff to do.
    Edited by stefan.gustavsonb16_ESO on December 9, 2019 11:37AM
  • jazsper77
    jazsper77
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No offense but if anyone is playing TES/ESO for difficulty of game play ... just..... it’s never been and never will be.

Go play a FromSoftware game if you want hard. But most can’t finish or have to co op to do. Then even as FromSoftware got more mainstream after Bloodborne. Players wanted a difficulty slider lol
  • jazsper77
    jazsper77
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You could argue that the total failure of Craglorn as a ‘vet questing’ zone is why ZOS is unlikely to move in this direction again. It’s a load of extra work for no discernible benefit with a ton of additional failure points.

It emphasises the difference between single and multiplayer games in terms of the ability to have multiple levels of difficulty.

Spot on ! The players got Craglorn but it’s to HARD and they wanna just look cool ( not) and stand on the walls by the wayshrine
  • AgaTheGreat
    AgaTheGreat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you're looking for challenge there's veteran maelstrom arena and veteran dungeons and trials.

Except for a few of the DLC dungeons, veteran dungeons are not really much of a greater challenge. I have taken groups of "vet virgins" on non-DLC vet dungeon runs, guildies who consider themselves "casual players" (which is really all there is, this is certainly not a job to any of us), and they mostly react to their first vet run with "Was that the fabled veteran difficulty? Really? That's it? Wow."

What you are referring to is a few vet DLC dungeons, a few vet trials and one solo vet arena. The really challenging content in ESO amounts to a total of a few hours of repetitive, narrowly combat-focused gameplay, and it gets old very quickly.

The quests, in comparison, are hundreds of hours of fun and well designed content with lots of variation and often great storytelling. I am not asking for the game to be more difficult for other people, many of which have not played it for hundreds of hours and found builds and strategies that make their characters "powerful", like I have. I am just asking for some challenge to make me enjoy the quests in newly released zones, and repeat the old quests with new characters.

I cannot unlearn how to play. Specifically not using a good strategy when playing means ignoring my experience with the game, and that is not enjoyable. Just give me a hassle-free, no-reward and no-cost toggle, or difficulty slider, or something, to face a somewhat greater challenge when I do quests. Then I would enjoy the questing part of the game again, and I would suddenly have tons of fun stuff to do.

I don't know. I find eso quests boring and shallow. There's no real consequence of your actions. Go to A, kill B, talk to C. WOW, such fun.

I really don't play ESO for quests. Finished them all, not a fan. However what is best in the game is the "multiplayer" factor. If I wanted to play a good game with a fab plot, I would replay The Witcher 3 again, but as it turns out, peope are the best part of ESO. People and content you can do with people.

Just take your clothes off your character and stop whinging.
    Edited by AgaTheGreat on December 9, 2019 1:33PM
    PS4 EU Aga_The_Grey - retired | PC EU AgaTheGreat
  • Veinblood1965
    Veinblood1965
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The OP has a point. I recall being disappointed when running a few dungeons and the boss mob got mixed in with trash mobs. I didn't even know the boss was involved he died just as fast and I realizing he had died while clearing trash was an anti-climax. It was kind of a let down. CP points aren't it either, I rolled a new toon and ran him with no CP and no help from my main, just blue and junk armor I could find along the way from Dolmens and such and ran into the same problem about level 40 or so. It got boring.
  • Linaleah
    Linaleah
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    andreasv wrote: »
    I've recently went back to SWTOR and found a well hidden symbol in the right lower corner of the screen that offered me different difficult settings. When I selected the highest I actually had one boss bringing my HP down to around 20%, which was a really fun fight.

I'm assuming they adjust my characters stats as I haven't been put in a different instance. It was actually quite nice to be able to choose your settings instead of find ways to gimp your character yourself.

swtor was able to implement it for one specific reason. every single piece of content that has this option? is instanced.

which is why for ESO it would have to be either difficulty selection for delves, public dungeons and maybe occasional vestige quest that happens to be instanced - or entire separate veteran zones.
    dirty worthless casual.
    Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself. Guard your honor. Let your reputation fall where it will. And outlive the ***
    Lois McMaster Bujold "A Civil Campaign"
  • redlink1979
    redlink1979
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    No. It fine as it is, casual player friendly.

One Tamriel was the best move Zeni could have done. This game reborn.
    "Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear"
    • Sons of the Night Mother [PS5][EU] 2165 CP
    • Daggerfall's Mightiest [PS5][NA] 1910 CP
    • SweetTrolls [PC][EU] 1950 CP
    • Bacon Rats [PC][NA] 1850 CP
  • vilio11
    vilio11
    ✭✭✭
    Jack-0 wrote: »
    If it’s so logistically difficult to do we could just up the difficulty for all! The naysayers here are actually insulting new players - do they not have the same capacity as the rest of us to learn and improve? This decade has seen a whole lot of games launched with full-on hand-holding and golden breadcrumb trails, but also the soulsborne games and their ilk, which nicely demonstrates my point that something being more difficult is not in fact niche or unappealing to a broad market.

All the newer eso (non dungeon/trial) content is completely unmemorable because you can just blast through it with your eyes shut. Quest bosses don’t even finish their trash talking before they die!

No. And it's nothing to do with that. Some of us prefer that quest/story content not be difficult as we do that for the story itself and not for having difficult battles. It's memorable for the story, that's what I want it to be. If I want memorable battles I go do some content that have that, such as dungeons or trials. I do not want it in my stories.
    So no, just no.
    And I am one of those new players.

Many people are loosing interest because of the easy questing.
  • Banana
    Banana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agreed. As solo is all i do these days
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In principle there's nothing wrong with that option, but I'd wager it would need to be a separate instance from everyone else due to the way ESO is structured. Could end up being a very empty experience.

Another option that had been suggested by someone was to introduce a "debuff" food/drink that you could use to essentially gimp your toon to make things harder.

Most main quests are already instanced, or empty since they are in areas you can't revisit.
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Czinczar wrote: »
    I am doing Elsweyr main quest and I am sorry but you can't have something interesting if there is no challenge.
    you have a misconception about what is a quest. quest is a story and decisions which affect it's flow not a trial of your combat skills. from the other side if quest is badly written people skip dialogues and search for a fight

There are very few decisions to make in ESO. 99% of quests are linear.

And combat is an integral part of RPG immersion. If you're tasked with killing a dragon, it should pose some threat since dragons are supposed to be god-like beings. You should not be invulnerable to their damage and be able to kill them in 2-3 hits, unless you're a god yourself (our characters are not gods).

• MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

And ZOS doesn’t implement this because first, the demand while there is way, way too low, and second, because it is far, far easier for the player to do it themselves.

You want to make it harder, just make it harder. And you can make it exactly as hard as you want. Remove your CP, or remove your CP and only use weapon skills, or remove CP, only use weapon skills and only wear white armour.... start the zone naked with a new character and only use what you can find. You can customise it to be exactly what you want in a way that ZOS could never do. Take responsibility for your experience rather than insisting ZOS mummys you through everything. And that surely would be far more fun than any ‘one size fits all’ thing ZOS could come up with.

You can't do that yourself. Removing CP costs gold, and the points need to be reallocated every time you want to do other content. Nobody is going to spend 50k a week removing CP and multiple hours reallocating the points every time they want to do a dungeon or trial or PvP. It's an absurd suggestion.
    Edited by MLGProPlayer on December 31, 2019 9:13AM
  • MLGProPlayer
    MLGProPlayer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    DaveMoeDee wrote: »
    Do you need a book to be hard to understand to enjoy it?

Is ESO a book?

If all you care about is the lore, you can just read Imperial Library and UESP. No need to play the games.
    Edited by MLGProPlayer on December 31, 2019 9:15AM
  • FierceSam
    FierceSam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

I cannot unlearn how to play.

That is why no amount of difficulty scaling will ever be effective.

I will never find a vet dungeon as challenging or as satisfying as the first time I beat it. Sure, I might get better at it and do HM no death speed runs, but nothing will match that first win. Similarly, I will never find overland content as challenging as when I first started to play the game.

And because overland content isn’t individual, any scaling would have to impact your abilities, but none of that can counter the fact that you know how to play and that mechanics that would challenge the least capable 10 or 20% of players will never challenge you. And however much they love you and want you to stay and have fun, ZOS loves that 10 - 20% of players a little bit more.

ZOS will never do progressive difficulty. You only have to look at the gulf between a normal and a vet dungeon to see how they struggle to accommodate even basic difficulty levels - normal provides no indication or preparation for vet mechanics, they’re simply removed entirely. And the separation between vet and vet HM only extends to the final boss.

This discussion has been closed.