The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

The ESO forum dilemma.....four mandatory game fixes needed to fix forum discontent

Cavedog
Cavedog
✭✭✭✭✭
So, nobody likes a forum full of negative posts and negative posters. And, of course, nobody likes having their freedom of speech curtailed in any way, especially when the curtailing is done with no reasonable justification.

But the problem is, there are very significant bug issues that are not getting fixed, they have existed for years, and overall, are getting worse. This results in very frustrated people being on the ESO forums because they are having so many issues in game. Most of us complainers stay in game when things are working well, and ZOS does not hear from us during those times. We generally only come to the forums when there is a problem.

The list of bugs that must be fixed, even if it takes a complete rebuild from the ground up, are as follows:

1-lag
2-fps drops
3-combat bug
4-group finder

These issues have existed for minimum of three years. (I believe they've existed since inception to varying degrees) Some patches are worse than others with amplifying these bugs than others, and far too often a patch causes these bugs to make the game unplayable....that is when you see all us "complainers" on the forums.

Some of us have a stupid amount of financial investment in this game, and we not only expect the game to work as advertised, but we expect to be able to discuss the problems openly when it doesn't. We are going to have to be allowed the freedom to discuss these issues so long as they exist. If ZOS or anyone else expects us not to discuss these perennial issues, they should fix them. Then we wouldn't have anything to whine about.
  • khajiitNPC
    khajiitNPC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree the combat bug definitely needs to be addressed. It’s a shame it’s been going on for this long. The other issues I can’t really comment on because I don’t experience them. Or if I do it’s not detrimental, annoying yes, but it probably only happens a couple times in the span of 4 hours. I don’t ever disconnect. Also could you add load screen when flipping a keep. That’s a more prevalent issue that I experience than the others.
  • Cavedog
    Cavedog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    khajiitNPC wrote: »
    I agree the combat bug definitely needs to be addressed. It’s a shame it’s been going on for this long. The other issues I can’t really comment on because I don’t experience them. Or if I do it’s not detrimental, annoying yes, but it probably only happens a couple times in the span of 4 hours. I don’t ever disconnect. Also could you add load screen when flipping a keep. That’s a more prevalent issue that I experience than the others.

I probably should have done the OP a bit differently. I should have listed my four biggest complaints, and asked others to add their biggest complaints to the list.

Maybe, and I'm going to go out on a limb here, maybe ZOS would use the list to help prioritize their fixes.
  • jircris11
    jircris11
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cavedog wrote: »
    So, nobody likes a forum full of negative posts and negative posters. And, of course, nobody likes having their freedom of speech curtailed in any way, especially when the curtailing is done with no reasonable justification.

But the problem is, there are very significant bug issues that are not getting fixed, they have existed for years, and overall, are getting worse. This results in very frustrated people being on the ESO forums because they are having so many issues in game. Most of us complainers stay in game when things are working well, and ZOS does not hear from us during those times. We generally only come to the forums when there is a problem.

The list of bugs that must be fixed, even if it takes a complete rebuild from the ground up, are as follows:

1-lag
    2-fps drops
    3-combat bug
    4-group finder

These issues have existed for minimum of three years. (I believe they've existed since inception to varying degrees) Some patches are worse than others with amplifying these bugs than others, and far too often a patch causes these bugs to make the game unplayable....that is when you see all us "complainers" on the forums.

Some of us have a stupid amount of financial investment in this game, and we not only expect the game to work as advertised, but we expect to be able to discuss the problems openly when it doesn't. We are going to have to be allowed the freedom to discuss these issues so long as they exist. If ZOS or anyone else expects us not to discuss these perennial issues, they should fix them. Then we wouldn't have anything to whine about.

See that's the thing, my friends and I dont have fps or lag issues UNLESS it's one if the rare nights the server its self is dying. Combat, well only bug I got so far where unattackable enemies. Group finder, I dont use so I cant say.
    IGN: Ki'rah
    Khajiit/Vampire
    DC/AD faction/NA server.
    RPer
  • nafensoriel
    nafensoriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭

1-lag
    2-fps drops
    3-combat bug
    4-group finder

1-2-4 are all the exact same issue. The group finder, when overloaded, is crippling the entire server. They know. It's being worked on. It's not quick to fix. Its made worse because ESO is stupidly popular right now apparently and more people = more hamster fires.

Combat bug I expect won't get fixed until the rewrites are done with the performance roadmap.
  • Anotherone773
    Anotherone773
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    On your issues, my experience is
    1) lag: talking actual server lag ( high ping, you can move in the local area but everything else is frozen in place), i see occasional spikes late at night on PC NA. But other than that, nothing major. I believe some of this may be DNS attacks( not directed at ZOS) that my route crosses ( or shares) paths with. It hasnt been enough of an issue for me to trace.

2)FPS: Im use a GTX 1070 and highish but not max settings. During the dragon fights( including runs to and from wayshrines) im getting 20-50 FPS with upper 30s and lower 40s being average. MY GPU is pegged at 99% pretty much full time. I think there is definitely some optimization that needs to be taking place here. A GTX1070 should not being working so hard when setting are not even maxed.

3) Combat bug - Is this the bug where you are stuck in combat with no known enemy? So you cant mount and you cant kill what is preventing you from mounting? Super annoying especially when changing locations is critical to what you are doing. I seem to get it anytime i use an ability after a dragon dies. I also get it on my sorc. but not on a NB.

4)Group finder is a mess. It bugs out but you can fix it by just requeuing. I have time limits on when i queue and if a it doesnt pop in that time i requeue.

Fixes:
    1) talking server side lag, this is going to be server specific. i dont experience it myself. Obviously will only impact the server they fix it on.

2) FPS: its probably safe to assume a majority of people experience this to some degree. It would impact the most people, imo, but also would be the most complex to improve i think.

3) I think the combat bug is probably just a minor coding error and probably an easy fix. Would likely have a moderate impact on players.

4) Group finder: It is a mess. For some reason they cant get it to function as well as it does in other games. They have been trying to fix it apparently without a lot of success. I feel like maybe the queue length is part of the problem. As you can queue 30 minutes as dps in a dungeon and 3 seconds as a tank and 30 seconds as heals. I think switching from 4 to 5 man dungeons and then boosting dungeons to compensate for the increase in dps would help with the load as you wouldnt have so many DPS waiting in queue. OR removing role restrictions from dungeons( maybe as an option you can check). This would probably have a moderate impact.

I would say from your list: 3,2,4, and then 1 in that order.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd say the priority issues I want fixed are:
    1. Platform specific performances issues, including the PC/EU concurrency problems and console bluescreens.
    2. PVP performance issues, including lag, stuck in combat, and crashing during Cyrodiil large battles
    3. Activity Finder for PVE Dungeons and Battlegrounds

For a real stretch, I'd like to have a major update go by without breaking the game in any new ways.
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agreed, I think fixing the activity finder (most importantly, not letting it bring down a server) should be of the highest priority.

Is the combat bug really so great a problem? I think in every game I’ve occasionally been stuck in combat, but rarely to an extent not resolvable. Are there situations where it is happening a lot? Looking over the comments again, is it in PvP? I can imagine why it would be a greater problem there. (Only PvP I do is the occasional BG.)
  • OG_Kaveman
    OG_Kaveman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    . Some of us have a stupid amount of financial investment in this game

Not "investments". In an economic sense, an investment is the purchase of goods that are not consumed today but are used in the future to create wealth. In finance, an investment is a monetary asset purchased with the idea that the asset will provide income in the future or will later be sold at a higher price for a profit. You will not profit money from the game. You may consider the time you get to play "profit" but the money you spent on the game is not "investment".
  • Marcus684
    Marcus684
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fixing all of those things would be awesome, but it wouldn’t “fix” forum discontent. Complainers would all just be limited to “nerf what killed me” and “fake tank” threads.
  • Major_Lag
    Major_Lag
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is the combat bug really so great a problem? I think in every game I’ve occasionally been stuck in combat, but rarely to an extent not resolvable. Are there situations where it is happening a lot?
    Go use a resto staff in PvP, preferably in Cyrodiil at primetime, then report back how that worked out for ya.
    Even better, try playing a dedicated healer there (magicka = resto staff).

There was a time, around or just before Elsweyr update, when we could at least change skills and quickslots assignments while "in combat", but only if we haven't dealt or taken any damage/heals in the last several seconds.
    This was SUPER USEFUL and had 0 DOWNSIDES.
    ZOS, pls revert to that state ASAP.
  • Kiralyn2000
    Kiralyn2000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    While these fixes might help, the forum will still be full of negative posts. Because it's an internet game forum. Someone will always have something negative to yell about.
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is no such thing as "freedom of speech" in a privately owned online forum.

ZOS has every legal right to censor anything posted here in any way they see fit without any justification or notice.
    shades.gif

• Facefister
    Facefister
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ZoS put this game on milking mode, the sooner you guys realize that the better.
  • Cavedog
    Cavedog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    SirAndy wrote: »
    There is no such thing as "freedom of speech" in a privately owned online forum.

ZOS has every legal right to censor anything posted here in any way they see fit without any justification or notice.
    shades.gif

Nice saddle you got there on your back.
  • Cavedog
    Cavedog
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    While these fixes might help, the forum will still be full of negative posts. Because it's an internet game forum. Someone will always have something negative to yell about.

We can distinguish between justified, recurrent issues and petty whining....most can anyway.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agreed, I think fixing the activity finder (most importantly, not letting it bring down a server) should be of the highest priority.

Is the combat bug really so great a problem? I think in every game I’ve occasionally been stuck in combat, but rarely to an extent not resolvable. Are there situations where it is happening a lot? Looking over the comments again, is it in PvP? I can imagine why it would be a greater problem there. (Only PvP I do is the occasional BG.)

Yes, its PVP, and specifically Cyrodiil. The thing with Cyrodiil is that its a huge zone. In order to move around quickly, you almost have to be able to mount. Otherwise, you wind up running on foot for minutes at a time in order to respond to a keep defense.

Its less game-breaking for me than the lag and crashes that happen in large battles, but it is nonetheless incredibly annoying to have to run on foot from keep to keep.
  • SirAndy
    SirAndy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    shades.gif

Tell me, why is it that the people who always start their arguments with "freedom of speech" are also the ones who have no understanding of how it actually works?

If you really care about freedom of speech, i suggest you read up on the subject. Who knows, you might even learn a thing or two in the process.
    rolleyes.gif
    Edited by SirAndy on December 8, 2019 8:20PM
  • Tommy_The_Gun
    Tommy_The_Gun
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I have the feeling that the issues the game has and player frustration also affects forums directly. I have never seen this much negativity here. I mean some of the "pain points" people point out are justified, but because of the share amount & seriousness of those issues the level of "toxicity" on forums has reached level I have never seen before.

At this point, I don't even now how to form posts and try to be constructive, since It may (somehow) be offensive to someone - since the frustration people have from the game carries to the forums and may make them less resistant / easier to trigger by total accident.

I recently had a perfect example of that. I dared to disagree with some one, and tried to point out my "different" point of view. I made a quite polite post and stuff... little did I know that some one I dared to disagree with, has apparently a cult - following forum warriors... IDK. The contr-posts were SOO aggressive, to a point that I have spend an entire DAY trying to figure out what I did wrong or maybe what I could have said wrong in my post... And actually could not find it... I mean I felt quite bad tbh.

Of course (thankfully) posts were removed by mods, because I started to receive hate - PMs... I mean WOW...

So If you are reading this fellow forums user I dared to disagree with... lets just say that it was not worth it, whatever I did wrong 3 days ago - I apologise :disappointed:
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    l

So just screw private property rights and freedom of association, huh? I'll be sure to go inside your house and start screeching about how much better than you I am 24/7. You won't mind because you support my free speech, right?
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Another annoying bug that crops up in every xpac is the daily quest item bug.

Where if you, or someone else, starts on the boss before you have all the items, the last item bugs.

Or if someone in your group collects all the items, before you get there (so, you didn't get credit), you can't collect them all.

In both cases, you have to abandon and start all over again.
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

shades.gif

Well, there obviously is still freedom of speech, at point of delivery - it's not like they have an algorithm censoring, or shadow banning you, prior to posting, or whatever - but, they then have the power to remove whatever they like, after you do.

Of course, if they dramatically over, or under, moderate, that may drive players away, but still.

You are free to say anything, but they are then free to censor and/or ban you.
    Edited by Tigerseye on December 9, 2019 3:32AM