The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 6:00PM EDT (22:00 UTC)

Is healing over preforming or is the true issue counter play and lack of it being universal.

• Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Zatox wrote: »
    healing is OP. I hope ZOS will delete such thing as "dedicated healer" from the game.

Should be only 3 roles: 1) Tanky DD, 2) Full DD, 3) Weakest DD in the group, who forced to slot 1 healing skill

I hope they delete dps instead. Everyone running around in an MMO game treating it like a shooter is dumb. They also whine a lot and always seem arrogant like their form of pvp is better, a bit funny when you think about someone missing the point of playing an MMO. How good can they really be?
    Edited by Iskiab on December 5, 2019 7:24PM
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • Aznarb
    Aznarb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Iskiab wrote: »
    Zatox wrote: »
    healing is OP. I hope ZOS will delete such thing as "dedicated healer" from the game.

Should be only 3 roles: 1) Tanky DD, 2) Full DD, 3) Weakest DD in the group, who forced to slot 1 healing skill

I hope they delete dps instead. Everyone running around in an MMO game treating it like a shooter is dumb. They also whine a lot and always seem arrogant like their form of pvp is better, a bit funny when you think about someone missing the point of playing an MMO. How good can they really be?

I just tend to ignore these guy who have no clue about mmorpg balance.
    I'm not afraid about thing like this, I know ZoS is not that dumb. They come back quickly after the over-nerf of healing on the PTS and have nerf vigor who was stupidly strong before it release.
    They clearly don't wanna see DPS who can heal itself to easily.

Can't wait for the next patch.
    [ PC EU ]

[ Khuram-dar ]
    [ Khajiit ]
    [ Templar - Healer ]
    [Crazy Gatherer & Compulsive Thief]

• Nyladreas
    Nyladreas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    jcm2606 wrote: »
    The problem isn't so much healing in itself, nor dedicated healers. Rather, the problem is cross and off healing, specifically with magicka DPS.

With Scalebreaker, both DoT's and HoT's were buffed, with a few HoT's being reworked to have more obvious group morphs. These buffs balanced each other out, and, in some cases, tipped the scales away from healing, as DoT's could easily overwhelm HoT's.

With Dragonhold, they nerfed DoT's and removed some burst options, while leaving HoT's as they were, which has left healing super strong, in a meta where damage is rather low.

With healing being super strong, and a few HoT's having more obvious group morphs, the game has been pushed into a meta where DPS can just run the group morphs of these HoT's (namely Radiating Regeneration), and not only apply a super strong HoT on themselves, but on nearby allies, too. From a DPS. See the problem, here?

Dedicated healers aren't the problem, because they're not the cause of this. The tools of dedicated healers have been buffed, but these same tools can be used on DPS, with even higher tooltips due to the stronger offensive stats DPS builds tend to offer. Since there's so much more DPS than dedicated healers in a group, dedicated healers really aren't needed, unless nobody runs these HoT's.

The solution to this is to bring the overperforming group HoT morphs back in line, while also making sure the self morphs are actually functional (Rapid Regen applies to the lowest ally, not just to yourself, so by nerfing Radiating Regen, you're removing the only reliable morph magicka DPS have, if they're using this as a self heal).

Take some power out of individual heals, put that power back into using a variety of heals, hence putting power back into dedicated healers, since DPS can't afford to slot every heal. That way, DPS can still heal themselves, without providing a ton of cross and off healing for the group, which brings dedicated healers back into the fold, since they can actually do their jobs instead of being overshadowed by the dozen or so DPS running Radiating Regen on back bar.

I think that a much easier way to deal with the problem would be to introduce a separate healing power attribute, and let spell damage and magicka only affect said healing skills by a reduced margin.

That way dedicated healers would truly have their identity back, while mag DPS wouldn't be able to abuse the flawed universal system as much anymore.

It's also a flexible way that allows for finer tuning. You could nerf spell damage heal contribution anywhere from 10-90% until you find a sweet spot.

But hey that would be too simple I guess 😂

Anything that's sort of cross-viable should see some form of adjustment.

Most ideal solution would honestly be to introduce traditional attributes as we remember from morrowind and oblivion.

A DPS invested in strength and agility could never tank as well as a tank invested in endurance and willpower and vice versa.

But I doubt they'd ever do that also. Idk why we can't add just a little more to make things easier to balance.
    Edited by Nyladreas on December 5, 2019 11:32PM
  • jcm2606
    jcm2606
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Nyladreas wrote: »
    The problem isn't so much healing in itself, nor dedicated healers. Rather, the problem is cross and off healing, specifically with magicka DPS.

With Scalebreaker, both DoT's and HoT's were buffed, with a few HoT's being reworked to have more obvious group morphs. These buffs balanced each other out, and, in some cases, tipped the scales away from healing, as DoT's could easily overwhelm HoT's.

With Dragonhold, they nerfed DoT's and removed some burst options, while leaving HoT's as they were, which has left healing super strong, in a meta where damage is rather low.

With healing being super strong, and a few HoT's having more obvious group morphs, the game has been pushed into a meta where DPS can just run the group morphs of these HoT's (namely Radiating Regeneration), and not only apply a super strong HoT on themselves, but on nearby allies, too. From a DPS. See the problem, here?

Dedicated healers aren't the problem, because they're not the cause of this. The tools of dedicated healers have been buffed, but these same tools can be used on DPS, with even higher tooltips due to the stronger offensive stats DPS builds tend to offer. Since there's so much more DPS than dedicated healers in a group, dedicated healers really aren't needed, unless nobody runs these HoT's.

The solution to this is to bring the overperforming group HoT morphs back in line, while also making sure the self morphs are actually functional (Rapid Regen applies to the lowest ally, not just to yourself, so by nerfing Radiating Regen, you're removing the only reliable morph magicka DPS have, if they're using this as a self heal).

Take some power out of individual heals, put that power back into using a variety of heals, hence putting power back into dedicated healers, since DPS can't afford to slot every heal. That way, DPS can still heal themselves, without providing a ton of cross and off healing for the group, which brings dedicated healers back into the fold, since they can actually do their jobs instead of being overshadowed by the dozen or so DPS running Radiating Regen on back bar.

I think that a much easier way to deal with the problem would be to introduce a separate healing power attribute, and let spell damage and magicka only affect said healing skills by a reduced margin.

That way dedicated healers would truly have their identity back, while mag DPS wouldn't be able to abuse the flawed universal system as much anymore.

It's also a flexible way that allows for finer tuning. You could nerf spell damage heal contribution anywhere from 10-90% until you find a sweet spot.

Most ideal solution would honestly be to introduce traditional attributes as we remember from morrowind and oblivion.

A DPS invested in strength and agility could never tank as well as a tank invested in endurance and willpower and vice versa.

But I doubt they'd ever do that also. Idk why we can't add just a little more to make things easier to balance.

That's an ideal approach, but I feel like it's too late for that. People are too used to DPS having good self-healing that can carry you through fights, so the pushback would be loud and swift.

Kinda why I suggested just keeping self heals the way they are (maybe pulling them down a little, for each individual self heal), taking some power out of individual group heals, put that power back into using a variety of group heals that can be stacked to flood healing as a dedicated healer.

DPS keep their self-healing, and dedicated healers get their role back. Rather than using new healing-specific stats, you're instead forcing players to trade some attacks for heals, hence replacing DPS tools with dedicated healer tools.
  • RavenSworn
    RavenSworn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nyladreas wrote: »

That's an ideal approach, but I feel like it's too late for that. People are too used to DPS having good self-healing that can carry you through fights, so the pushback would be loud and swift.

Kinda why I suggested just keeping self heals the way they are (maybe pulling them down a little, for each individual self heal), taking some power out of individual group heals, put that power back into using a variety of group heals that can be stacked to flood healing as a dedicated healer.

DPS keep their self-healing, and dedicated healers get their role back. Rather than using new healing-specific stats, you're instead forcing players to trade some attacks for heals, hence replacing DPS tools with dedicated healer tools.

Did you know, originally, the game had healing power aside from the spell power? It had soft caps, class skills used magicka while weapon skills used stam.

Reducing dps numbers overall would create more of a furore imo, especially for the sake of healing.

But I get where you are coming from, though I dont agree with the group heals change. That will surely nail the coffin for dedicated healers because that's exactly what healers would use. Healing springs and orbs were already nerfed... reducing their effectiveness would make healers dead.
    Ingame: RavenSworn, Pc / NA.

Of Wolf and Raven
    Solo / Casual guild for beginners and new players wanting to join the game. Pst me for invite!
  • EtTuBrutus
    EtTuBrutus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The problem with healing is people don't know how to do it get whipped by those who do. Then they come complain. We're in a burst meta in skilled game play, mainly bc now all dots and aoes are jokes in conjunction with the healing buffs, but that doesn't mean players are unable to be killed.
  • Imryll
    Imryll
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whether you choose a class and mag vs. stam, part of what you are choosing are the particular strengths that go with your choice. Different classes and different resource users have different strengths.
    RavenSworn wrote: »
    Actually all they need to do is to separate spell power with healing power. They already made Armor to be both spell and physical resistance, why not separate these two then so as not to make dps char great healers as well and full healers to be relevant again in all content.

That's all they need to do really.

If your proposal were implemented, how would healers stripped of spell power quest and kill those who attack them? Blessed and Elemental Expert are already different CP stars and gear is available which enhances healing or damage only. Who is going to want to be a healer if they are rendered helpless without the aid of others?

Given stamina's greater damage and sustain, allowing mag the flexibility to build as a hybrid healer/dps seems fair to me.
    Edited by Imryll on December 9, 2019 5:54AM
  • phoenixkungfu
    phoenixkungfu
    ✭✭✭✭
    If I could reimagine balance gameplay would require play as you want while enforcing optimizing each role as a rewarding form of gameplay in group play. Dps would be at its strongest at dps but need a healers helping hand to live. Tanks would have to be a true tank to live against true dps...and solo builds would be in the middle with a goal of kiting and hit and run playstyle. To divide the group. Hopefully my post have given ideas towards that goal
  • KCC11
    KCC11
    Imryll wrote: »
    Whether you choose a class and mag vs. stam, part of what you are choosing are the particular strengths that go with your choice. Different classes and different resource users have different strengths.
    Actually all they need to do is to separate spell power with healing power. They already made Armor to be both spell and physical resistance, why not separate these two then so as not to make dps char great healers as well and full healers to be relevant again in all content.

If your proposal were implemented, how would healers stripped of spell power quest and kill those who attack them? Blessed and Elemental Expert are already different CP stars and gear is available which enhances healing or damage only. Who is going to want to be a healer if they are rendered helpless without the aid of others?

Healers shouldn't be able to kill people..that's the problem with this game not only can every class do everything to some extent there are some classes such as Templar, Sorc, and DK that just do it better than the remaining classes. I think healing should scale off of mag/stam while attack skills scale off of weapon/spell dmg. Imo that would be the easiest way to balance out healing in one patch. Blessed/Elemental Expert CP was nerfed long ago and 32pts only gets you 8% which is then halved in PvP so really only 4% which isn't really substantial enough, healing bonuses through also only give 4% which once again translates into 2% in PvP..still not significant. Tanks should tank, DPS should do dmg, and Healers should heal clear roles in PvP would make everything easier to balance. You know a game is backwards when the Healing Class deals more dmg than the dmg class in PvP.
  • Qbiken
    Qbiken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    KCC11 wrote: »

Healers shouldn't be able to kill people..that's the problem with this game not only can every class do everything to some extent there are some classes such as Templar, Sorc, and DK that just do it better than the remaining classes. I think healing should scale off of mag/stam while attack skills scale off of weapon/spell dmg. Imo that would be the easiest way to balance out healing in one patch. Blessed/Elemental Expert CP was nerfed long ago and 32pts only gets you 8% which is then halved in PvP so really only 4% which isn't really substantial enough, healing bonuses through also only give 4% which once again translates into 2% in PvP..still not significant. Tanks should tank, DPS should do dmg, and Healers should heal clear roles in PvP would make everything easier to balance. You know a game is backwards when the Healing Class deals more dmg than the dmg class in PvP.

There's no such thing as a "healing class" in eso. Just let go of the old mmo standards where you can only do one role. ESO isn't like that and is one of the big reasons the game is successful. If you really want to kill the game you start by limiting how people can play.
  • phoenixkungfu
    phoenixkungfu
    ✭✭✭✭
    I think limit and optimize are two different things. I think for starters counter play is the biggest issue. For every element of gameplay there should be equal elements of counter play. If you can heal and it universal then counter play of major defile should be universal. The same goes for user wearing defense sets. If you can stack resistance. Then you should be able to counter play with penetration to the same level. This counter play should apply to new traits added to the game like protection in jewelry as well. I would also like to see pure penetration sets like there is pure armor set to simply change the meta.
  • RavenSworn
    RavenSworn
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Qbiken wrote: »

There's no such thing as a "healing class" in eso. Just let go of the old mmo standards where you can only do one role. ESO isn't like that and is one of the big reasons the game is successful. If you really want to kill the game you start by limiting how people can play.

There is however, a healing role. Its specifically stated even, in the group finder. In fact, the newer classes such as wardens and Necromancer actually are based on tank, dps and healing skill lines.

See, if healing were to be a separate stat, (now I don't mean needing to put points in it but rather being beholden to a different scale, rather than scaled to spell power and max magicka) it actually opens up new ways to build your character. It gives more options now, rather than just having stats that boost your damage and healing all in one go.

Even counterplay now would give more meaning, given that there is now counterplay for all forms of game styles. Too much healing? Defile. Too much health? Theres now damage that hits for percentage of max health. Theres now silence, stuns, poison play, oblivion damage, blocking, dodge rolls, evasion, drains, snares...

Healers doing quest? Theres so much gearsets in this game that allows a healer based player to deal respectable damage while questing... and lets be honest, questing in ESO is laughably easy.

I really am not too sure why the pushback for channeling the right stats for the right roles. It's like... you build like a glass cannon? If anything such as a pebble hits you, you should break. End of. It's not limitations, it's called balancing. Give and take.
    Ingame: RavenSworn, Pc / NA.

Of Wolf and Raven
    Solo / Casual guild for beginners and new players wanting to join the game. Pst me for invite!
  • Aznarb
    Aznarb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Healers doing quest? Theres so much gearsets in this game that allows a healer based player to deal respectable damage while questing... and lets be honest, questing in ESO is laughably easy.

I don't switch trial set to do quest, I just need LA + 1 dmg spammable and yolo, even soloing WB like this isn't a problem at all.
    [ PC EU ]

[ Khuram-dar ]
    [ Khajiit ]
    [ Templar - Healer ]
    [Crazy Gatherer & Compulsive Thief]

• karekiz
    karekiz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Probably the same way tanks using all health attributes do overland. Can always use proc sets and watch mobs melt.

Played a game where they had HP/DMG/Healing stat line. Solo builds just used a mix of all three - Dungeon role based would stack all into their role aside from maybe one HP piece if required.
  • KCC11
    KCC11

The old mmo standard was the standard for that reason, and while ESO sold us on the idea of "Play how you want to play" they've made several considerable attempts to funnel the player-base. The game is successful because the combat system is unlike any other game especially on console. If you are a dedicated healer you shouldn't be able to kill a Tank or DPS that knows what they're doing pure and simple, and until some type of baseline is achieved this game will never achieve any modicum of balance.
  • karthrag_inak
    karthrag_inak
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    THERE IS NO UNIVERSAL OPTION TO COUNTER HEALING THAT IS VIABLE.

lol. it's called -stabbies- or -zappies- depending on the use of the green bar or the blue bar.

seriously?
    PC-NA : 19 Khajiit and 1 Fishy-cat with fluffy delusions
  • jadarock
    jadarock
    ✭✭✭✭✭

lol. it's called -stabbies- or -zappies- depending on the use of the green bar or the blue bar.

seriously?

Agreed but healing is slightly overtuned atm
    Let's be honest
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    jadarock wrote: »

seriously?

Agreed but healing is slightly overtuned atm
    Let's be honest

So is burst if you’re playing your class right.
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • Gilvoth
    Gilvoth
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

well said.
    all truth.
  • ChefZero
    ChefZero
    ✭✭✭✭

The old mmo standard was the standard for that reason, and while ESO sold us on the idea of "Play how you want to play" they've made several considerable attempts to funnel the player-base. The game is successful because the combat system is unlike any other game especially on console. If you are a dedicated healer you shouldn't be able to kill a Tank or DPS that knows what they're doing pure and simple, and until some type of baseline is achieved this game will never achieve any modicum of balance.

"Play how you want to play" isn't a TES problem in general. They just f.ucked up it with the skyrim-like simplified attribute system. With a conventional system like in older TES games we wouldn't have that problem. With attributes like intelligence and willpower you would have sperated the scaling of damage and healing/defense spells for example.

Look at how the attribute system is now! 99% of builds put all points in one attribute. If I would be the developer of that system it would be an alarming sign for me that something is broken with it and needs adjustments...
    Edited by ChefZero on December 9, 2019 4:54PM
    PC EU - DC only
  • phoenixkungfu
    phoenixkungfu
    ✭✭✭✭
    I like all the gameplay suggestions pretty sweet guys.