The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

I weary of there being no Motifs

• wolfbone
    wolfbone
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Morgha_Kul wrote: »
    A lot of the motifs of interest are only found in the vet dungeons, such as the new Fane motif. Most of those are almost impossible to find on guild vendors, and when you DO find them, they're absurdly expensive, making purchasing them essentially impossible too.

Of course, I could buy them from the crown store for fifty actual DOLLARS (which I expect was the whole point of this design), but I'm not spending that much actual money on anything in a game.

The last time I got something that wasn't a "normal" motif (ie. Breton, Dunmer, etc) was when I found an Imperial motif in a crate. I've had Dwemer pages drop from time to time... but that's about it. MOST of the newer motifs seem to drop only in the vet dungeons.

I could be wrong, I suppose. Maybe they have a billionth of a percent chance of appearing in loot or what have you. Who knows.

no, dlc moti9fs have a higer chance of dropping in vet dungeons, but like people have said, you can buy them in guild stores too.
  • Nyladreas
    Nyladreas
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    cyclonus11 wrote: »
    Pretty sure all of them are tradeable and can be found on the guild vendors, or am I mistaken?

That just takes the fun out of it for excited collectors, trigger happy scavengers and ambitious or aspiring thieves.

I'd take more recipes and stuff from Pickpocketing and Scavenging anyday over dumb PvE/PvP content. Devs could easily put some sort of challenge or a twist on collecting as well. Things like puzzles, collecting scraps of given recipes, having to travel from place to place, putting together treasure maps etc. There are so many options.

But nope we just gotta go gear up and kill a boss and hope for RNG. Why does everything have to die before we get something.
  • kringled_1
    kringled_1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Bad rng, sorry.
    Regading open world: I still get some motif pages from containers but i always check EVERY single container that's in my path: it's VERY time consuming but it can be VERY rewarding.
    Motifs locked by veteran content are only these:

Coldsnap, Meridian, Sunspire, Honor Guard, Silver Dawn, Huntsman, Welkynar, Scallecaller, Fang Lair, Dreadhorn, Bloodforge, Mazzatun, Dro-m'Athra

13 out of the existing 79 (3 of those 79 are CS exclusives and players don't really need them - they aren't account to increase the chance of grating master writs as rewards from delivering daily writs).

The player's other option is traders - most of the mentioned above have been around long enough for their price no to be super high excepting the Welkynar.

You did miss a few: Silken Ring, Refabricated, the new Moongrave Fane motif, and Celestial (drop rate on normal is incredibly low, on vet it's quite good, HM guaranteed, just like most of the others in your list).

• ThePedge
    ThePedge
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Imagine having to play the game :angry:
  • redlink1979
    redlink1979
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    @kringled_1 thanks for the correction. I forgot those.
    "Sweet Mother, sweet Mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear"
    • Sons of the Night Mother [PS5][EU] 2165 CP
    • Daggerfall's Mightiest [PS5][NA] 1910 CP
    • SweetTrolls [PC][EU] 1950 CP
    • Bacon Rats [PC][NA] 1850 CP
  • Stebarnz
    Stebarnz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you cant do the content you don't need the motif!
  • tim99
    tim99
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm just fed up with low-drop-rate RNG rewards in general

+1
  • SidraWillowsky
    SidraWillowsky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Personally (and I'd encourage everyone to do this, actually) I buy the motifs that I want and farm for motifs to sell.

The 300,000 gold that I spent on the Welkynar chest motif was well worth it- the motif system in CR is absurd and I didn't want to grind vCR. Unfortunately, I spent that gold about a week before the Jubilee event started, so motif prices dropped a good bit but still... worth it.
  • Starlock
    Starlock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd like to see it changed as well, @Morgha_Kul. However, the major reason I want to see it changed is because the way they are doing trial/dungeon motifs has become significantly more predatory over the last year.

Let's set the stage here for a moment. Grind exists in games like ESO for one reason - to keep players playing (the industry often uses the term "engaged"). And the developers want to keep players playing for one reason - it keeps player wallets accessible for exploitation with predatory microtransactions. We have large amounts of inconvenient, grindy content in this game because it provides the foundation through which players are manipulated out of their money. The inconvenience exists to trick players into paying for convenience. The developers knowingly and willfully design a game with problematic mechanics so players pay them for the solution. Instead of, you know, actually developing a game with sane mechanics that aren't inconvenient grindfests. Which they could do. Except that wouldn't make them millions of dollars hand over fist. That's the stage we're playing on - the ESO play-to-pay stage.

The way most motifs/styles are earned exists as part of this predatory monetization environment. But it did used to be better than it is now. It used to be that when the content dropped, so did the motifs. It also used to be that when the motifs dropped in the dungeons, it did not immediately appear for sale in the cash shop. Now, neither of these are true. What the developers want people like you and I to do, Morgha, is to shut up and pay them $50 for the motif. We can either recognize they're trying to swindle us and give them the finger... or let ourselves get conned. Either way, yes, how it's being done is a problem. At the very least, $enimax needs to go back to how motifs were done before - release them in synch with the dungeons and do NOT release them in the cash shop until at least a couple months after that (if at all, frankly).
  • Zephard
    Zephard
    ✭✭✭
    No motif is "locked" behind vet dungeon. STOP saying that.

Yes, dlc dungeons have norm, vet, and vet HM. So what you should be saying, is you don't like the fact that motifs can be locked behind paid content!

Yes, I understand that a very low percent chance from RNG in norm dlc dungeon is not favorable for motif farming, but then you obviously didn't want to pay someone else to run it on vet HM to guarantee they made money selling to you what you didn't want to do.

I don't have ESO+, and have not bought all the dlcs. Should I be crying that they lock them from me? No I farm for gold, and buy them. I wait for the Jubilee and farm my butt off to get all my alts through each day.

Then I buy what I can't get, except on free ESO+ days. Yes, they have not totally locked them away from me, I can still get them on the days they give me ESO+ free! If I want them.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

We love the game, we love doing what we want to do in the game. But not everything in the game is accessed by only the single things we like to do. Lucky for us, motifs are purchasable unlike certain other things, like dyes. Don't want to do what it takes to make gold, then that's on you. If you were a crafter, daily writs and master writs is money!
    Edited by Zephard on December 5, 2019 4:07PM
  • Zephard
    Zephard
    ✭✭✭
    Starlock wrote: »
    I'd like to see it changed as well, @Morgha_Kul.

At the very least,

do NOT release them in the cash shop until at least a couple months after that (if at all, frankly).

Because you want to keep me from getting the motif instantly for game gold! That is what your message told me Starlock.
    That you want to hinder me. You hide it behind "corporate greed", but really you are trying to hinder me! Why you trying to hinder me!
  • Starlock
    Starlock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zephard wrote: »
    I'd like to see it changed as well.

At the very least,

do NOT release them in the cash shop until at least a couple months after that (if at all, frankly).

Because you want to keep me from getting the motif instantly for game gold! That is what your message told me Starlock.
    That you want to hinder me. You hide it behind "corporate greed", but really you are trying to hinder me! Why you trying to hinder me!

Considering I don't know you from Jackie I think you're seriously overestimating your importance in my life. Either that or you're trying to be cute/funny.

Also, we can't get the motifs instantly for game gold. If we could, well... that would certainly be a step in the right direction.
    Edited by Starlock on December 5, 2019 4:31PM
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Zephard wrote: »
    I'd like to see it changed as well.

At the very least,

Considering I don't know you from Jackie I think you're seriously overestimating your importance in my life. Either that or you're trying to be cute/funny.

Also, we can't get the motifs instantly for game gold. If we could, well... that would certainly be a step in the right direction.

Well, you can through Crown Store gifting...but that brings it back to the original problem you point out.

I'm fine with ZOS putting motifs behind dungeons and trials, but I definitely agree with you that ZOS ought to go back to releasing the motifs alongside the content. The staggered releases are transparently driven by monetization and make motifs less rewarding for players who do the content.
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    The only motif that I could have bought with gold, but bought it with crowns instead was Welkynar because I had crowns from my subscription bonus and nothing else to buy with them at the time. The rest I just waited till they got cheaper, and bought with gold from guild traders. Gold is easy to get, especially if you're a crafter.
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • kargen27
    kargen27
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    doomette wrote: »
    AndyMac wrote: »
    A lot of DLC motifs dropped from the boxes during the anniversary event this year - hopefully they will next year too.

That’s what I’m waiting for - I can get groups for most DLCs ok - so I’ll just sell until the anniversary.

But then, I’m happy to wait too.

Yeah OP, patience for the Jubilee is well worth it. I went from a little over half my way to the motif master achievement for master crafter to surpassing it (and only needing to buy a few cheap, but stubborn, chapters).

I can vouch for the jubilee event from the other side of it. That event really cut into my profits because of the big price drops in motifs. If you are looking to get motifs that is the time to do it. Not day one but later in the event.
    and then the parrot said, "must be the water mines green too."
  • Integral1900
    Integral1900
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Well, as as someone who left behind veteran dungeons a long time ago here is my all purpose guide to getting these shiny motifs. No pugs, fake tanks, bowtard healers or 12k health dps

Step one
    Join trade guild, which one is irrelevant as you shall see

Step two
    Do writs, quest, pvp etc, whatever works

Step three
    Open google search for eso global trade

Step four
    Tell it what server and platform

Step five
    Find the stuff you wand to sell, take the lowest price and cut it in half

Step six
    Wait

Step seven
    Profit

Step eight
    Use the same site to find the motifs as cheap as possible

Step nine
    Go to dress up station and look cool 😎

• Zephard
    Zephard
    ✭✭✭

You actually understand that generally people Y hindering people X don't know people X, nor actually care that they hinder people X. So yes, funny, not cute was my aim. I left being cute a long time ago.

But on a serious note, I was talking about the fact that you can be gifted the motif from the crown store. I don't see Crown Store as the great evil that some to. Because of that, I do see your desire to classify it as something I am not allowed to use, as a form of hindering me. Not that I have actually traded my game gold for a motif through gifting yet, only other things that aren't motifs, like DLCs so I can farm them myself. As you can see, I think the gifting of the crown store as quite beneficial.
  • Morgha_Kul
    Morgha_Kul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd be willing to buy from the crown store, but they've so egregiously overpriced everything, that I simply can't justify it.
    Exploring Tamriel since 1994.
  • spartaxoxo
    spartaxoxo
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It would be nice to see more variety in the motif sources, though it's also nice that trials and dungeons have themed motifs too.

I'd like to see more available in other ways too. Some justice system, some fishing, perhaps a harvester outfit from resource nodes....

Perhaps they could make an acheivement store and add some outfits there. It would give us something to do with our achievement points and allow us to do a wide variety of content.
    Edited by spartaxoxo on December 6, 2019 7:20AM
  • JamieAubrey
    JamieAubrey
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I stopped caring when they split into 11 f***ing pages each, only recently I spent like 500k buying all them cheap

Plus half of them don't even look good
  • Zephard
    Zephard
    ✭✭✭
    spartaxoxo wrote: »
    It would be nice to see more variety in the motif sources, though it's also nice that trials and dungeons have themed motifs too.

I'd like to see more available in other ways too. Some justice system, some fishing, perhaps a harvester outfit from resource nodes....

Perhaps they could make an acheivement store and add some outfits there. It would give us something to do with our achievement points and allow us to do a wide variety of content.

Well it's not achievement, but kinda, that is the Ebon and Glass motifs from the Master Writ vendor.

One from Nodes would be both fun, and a pain, it would either be to rare, or to common. Not sure which would be preferred.

The ones from Dailies can be good and bad in that they can have you doing tons of stuff you done a ton, but good in that they are normally quite accessible for everyone.

The ones you have to steal from Morrowwind is punishing at first, if you have no one you steal with.

I love fishing, and the bottles just gave me a reason to enjoy fishing in my wife's favorite region, so that was fun.