Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

I just need someone to explain this

ImSoPro
ImSoPro
✭✭✭
Why for a 1.99 gb patch did I have to delete 120 gb worth of apps between 2K20 Apex Legends and Hulu off my PS4? I legit have two games left with Modern Warfare and ESO. I free space every single patch and yet the game demands more space every time. I remember reading something about it on here a long time ago but I can’t find the thread if this was even where I read it. Next update/patch if it comes down to Modern Warfare having to get deleted, I’ll just have to give in and spend $90 on an external hard drive for just one game to sit on there. Because I’m damn sure not deleting MW.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It has to do with how the patches are done on the console. I know that this is going to be fixed in the very near future where patches will hopefully only be 100 Mb or so for weekly updates and a few GB for content updates as they are on the PC.

Early next year, this will be much better. See thread linked above
    Edited by Nestor on December 5, 2019 1:48PM
    Enjoy the game, life is what you really want to be worried about.

PakKat "Everything was going well, until I died"
    Gary Gravestink "I am glad you died, I needed the help"

• Hallothiel
    Hallothiel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Its just the odd way PS4 updates games.

Get an external hard drive of numerous GBs and this will be a thing of the past.

Best ££ spent in a long while. No more painful choices about what to delete.
  • ImSoPro
    ImSoPro
    ✭✭✭
  • ImSoPro
    ImSoPro
    ✭✭✭
    Nestor wrote: »
    It has to do with how the patches are done on the console. I know that this is going to be fixed in the very near future where patches will only be 100 Mb or so for weekly updates and a few GB for content updates.

Very good to know
  • Anotherone773
    Anotherone773
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It has to do with how the patches are done on the console. I know that this is going to be fixed in the very near future where patches will only be 100 Mb or so for weekly updates and a few GB for content updates.

Didnt they also say they was shrinking the amount of space that the game requires on your HDD in general. So all platforms will have to redownload the entire game? Or did i misunderstand that part? It would be great if they could shrink the size by like a third. 105 GB is a bit on the excessive side
  • Goregrinder
    Goregrinder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Quoted from the other forum post linked:

"That's a way of how PS4 handles game updates. It basically copies over the whole game so each install you need the same space of your fully installed game. The only way to address this is to make ESO smaller in general and get rid of unneeded assets. ZOS said they work on that so may see a diet to the game size eventually."

• DragonRacer
    DragonRacer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yeah, it reached a point that I threw my hands up in the air, bought an external hard drive, moved EVERYTHING but ESO over to it, and then deleted everything but ESO from the PS4’s native drive. ESO now has the entire PS4 space sans operating system to figure its spacing issues out. LOL
    PS5 NA. GM of The PTK's - a free trading guild (CP 500+). Also a werewolf, bites are free when they're available. PSN = DragonRacer13
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Didnt they also say they was shrinking the amount of space that the game requires on your HDD in general. So all platforms will have to redownload the entire game? Or did i misunderstand that part? It would be great if they could shrink the size by like a third. 105 GB is a bit on the excessive side

Yes. The game install will be smaller too. And, yes it will be a complete reinstall. I might even put the PTS back on my machine.

• lagrue
    lagrue
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Wrong, even the linked post in that thread is not related to this issue.

It's to do with Sony's copying process. When you download a patch the system makes a temporary copy of the full game and all previous patches incase the new install is bungled. All games on PS are like this. It's also why the "copying" process also takes 30x longer than downloading the actual patch - I mean ESO took 40 minutes to "copy" yesterday, but only 2 minutes to download the patch. You don't actually download 120 GB worth of stuff - you just need that space free so the copy can be made.

That is the REAL why you need the equivalent space of the game and its patches free to install a new one.

What ZOS is trying to fix is completely different and won't change this. What they are doing will reduce file size - but will not change that fact the entire filesize worth of GB still needs to be free, because that's a function of the PS4 and not something ZOS can control. Even if we pretend ZOS Shaves the file size down to 60GB, you will still need 60GB+Patch Size to download.
    Edited by lagrue on December 4, 2019 3:23PM
    PSN ID (NA only): Zuzu_With_a_Z
    *GRAND MASTER CRAFTER*

"You must defeat me every time. I need defeat you only once"
  • Anotherone773
    Anotherone773
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    lagrue wrote: »

It's to do with Sony's copying process. When you download a patch the system makes a temporary copy of the full game and all previous patches incase the new install is bungled. All games on PS are like this. It's also why the "copying" process also takes 30x longer than downloading the actual patch - I mean ESO took 40 minutes to "copy" yesterday, but only 2 minutes to download the patch. You don't actually download 120 GB worth of stuff - you just need that space free so the copy can be made.

That is the REAL why you need the equivalent space of the game and its patches free to install a new one.

What ZOS is trying to fix is completely different and won't change this. What they are doing will reduce file size - but will not change that fact the entire filesize worth of GB still needs to be free, because that's a function of the PS4 and not something ZOS can control. Even if we pretend ZOS Shaves the file size down to 60GB, you will still need 60GB+Patch Size to download.

but that is still an improvement.
  • Nestor
    Nestor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    lagrue wrote: »

PS4 is not the only Console. And the Xbox may not have this same issue. And, Sony may eventually its head out of its butt and change the stupid way it patches things.
    Edited by Nestor on December 5, 2019 1:53PM

• MEBengalsFan2001
    MEBengalsFan2001
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ImSoPro wrote: »
    Why for a 1.99 gb patch did I have to delete 120 gb worth of apps between 2K20 Apex Legends and Hulu off my PS4? I legit have two games left with Modern Warfare and ESO. I free space every single patch and yet the game demands more space every time. I remember reading something about it on here a long time ago but I can’t find the thread if this was even where I read it. Next update/patch if it comes down to Modern Warfare having to get deleted, I’ll just have to give in and spend $90 on an external hard drive for just one game to sit on there. Because I’m damn sure not deleting MW.

Upgrade your internal HD. You can go up to a 2TB HD on the PS4. I have the 2TB hybrid hhd for my PS4 and love it. It isn't as fast as a SSD but it is faster than a standard HDD. It cost me around $100 if that for my hybrid HDD.
    Edited by MEBengalsFan2001 on December 5, 2019 2:06PM
  • Donny_Vito
    Donny_Vito
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you don't have an external storage device on your console, are you really a gamer???
  • apri
    apri
    ✭✭✭✭
    I was in the same boat and to get around having to delete games for updates all the time, I added more storage in the end.

The easiest way to add more storage is to plug in an external USB hard drive or SSD. It gives you the option to move games to this drive from your internal drive or to download games to the external drive directly. You can even plug off this drive and plug it in at your friend's PS4 or on another one of yours if you have more than one. As soon as you login with your account, you can directly use the games from the external drive without the need to redownload anything.

Regarding speed, ESO won't benefit of fast drives as much as other games do since most of our waiting times is basically waiting on servers. However, in some regards a fast drive makes an impact like you'll see players render faster (less black shadows). You also have an advantage in Imperial City because the loading times in there are noticeably quicker with a fast drive (SSD) when you go through gates. It's just a few seconds of a difference but in PVP that can be a factor.