Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 15
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
In response to the ongoing issue, the North American PC/Mac megaserver is currently unavailable while we perform maintenance. https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656543/temporarily-taking-down-the-pts-the-pc-na-live-server

Weapon Damage vs Weapon Crit

ACamaroGuy
ACamaroGuy
✭✭✭
I play PvE, Imperial StamPlar. Armor is New Moon Acolyte, weapons/jewelery Deadly Strike and monster set is Velidreth. All armor pieces, divines. Main hand is nirn, off hand sharpened, bow infused, neck/rings robust. Monster set pieces are heavy and all pieces are gold. I'm using The Shadow for my boon.
As a PvE player, does having higher weapon damage really affect the damage you do or do I need to focus more on the weapon Crit? How does weapon damage effect the PvE game play?
Edited by ACamaroGuy on February 1, 2020 3:12AM
For the Empire

Best Answers

• Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    For Stamina Templar Weapon Critical is more important, since you have a class passive - Piercing Spear - that gives you a +0.1 critical multiplier if you have an Aedric Spear skill slotted (ex. Biting Jabs front bar, Empowering Sweep back bar). 56 CP in Precise Strikes is +0.2, Minor Force (Barbed Trap) is +0.1, Shadow mundus with 7 divines is 0.14. Your default multiplier is 1.5 so with all those you should have 2.04. Major Force (Aggressive Horn) adds +0.15 but you don't have constant up time on that in group. Nevertheless in a good group your multiplier can get to about 2.10-2.15. So Weapon Critical is more important than weapon damage, especially in groups.

5M2H is not optimal, since you're losing 3% Weapon Critical from Dexterity, 4% cost reduction and 8% stamina recovery from Wind Walker compared to going 7M. New Moon Acolyte adds a 5% cost increase, so swapping the heavy monster set for medium will offset that cost increase. Using 1H6M or 1H1L5M makes sense only if your HP is really low, but for Imperial you already have 2K HP from race passives, so even with Artaeum Takeaway Broth or Dubious Camoran Throne you should have 18K+ on your own (20K+ with Ebon & Major Toughness).
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
    Answer ✓
  • MellowMagic
    MellowMagic
    ✭✭✭✭
    ACamaroGuy wrote: »
    I play PvE, Imperial StamPlar. Armor is New Moon Acolyte, weapons/jewelery Deadly Strike and monster set is Velidreth. All armor pieces, divines. Main hand is nirn, off hand sharpened, bow infused, neck/rings robust. Monster set pieces are in heavy and all pieces are gold. I'm using The Shadow for my boon.
    As a PvE player, does having higher weapon damage really affect the damage you do or do I need to focus more on the weapon Crit? How does weapon damage effect the PvE game play?

Imperial Stamplar main here:

It would be more optimal to have New moon jewelry and daggers and deadly strikes armour because the 5 percent cost increase wont effect your largest costing abilites like endless hail and deadly strikes will stay active even on your backbar. The difference wont be huge but it would help a bit, also as a stamplar i find selenes to be way more effective then velidreth, the extra stam is useful for power of the light and selene can proc like 2-3 times on your front bar every swap, veli has better aoe though.

Edit: Also Changing robust traits to bloodthristy will give a noticeable dps increase, especially since as templars we have no execute.
    Edited by MellowMagic on December 4, 2019 6:14PM
    PC / NA @MellowMagic
    Imperial named with some sort of variation of "Deo"
    By the Divines...
    Answer ✓
  • MellowMagic
    MellowMagic
    ✭✭✭✭
    I play PvE, Imperial StamPlar. Armor is New Moon Acolyte, weapons/jewelery Deadly Strike and monster set is Velidreth. All armor pieces, divines. Main hand is nirn, off hand sharpened, bow infused, neck/rings robust. Monster set pieces are in heavy and all pieces are gold. I'm using The Shadow for my boon.

It would be more optimal to have New moon jewelry and daggers and deadly strikes armour because the 5 percent cost increase wont effect your largest costing abilites like endless hail and deadly strikes will stay active even on your backbar. The difference wont be huge but it would help a bit, also as a stamplar i find selenes to be way more effective then velidreth, the extra stam is useful for power of the light and selene can proc like 2-3 times on your front bar every swap, veli has better aoe though.

Edit: Also Changing robust traits to bloodthristy will give a noticeable dps increase, especially since as templars we have no execute.

Can you please explain this? How do I determine what set is armor and what set get the weapon/jewelery? My thinking is if I run dual wield and now, I'll always have the 5 piece up and running. Somehow, I'm not fully understanding how all this works. Can you help a guy out? Thanks.

Oh,

sorry this is only applicable if you have the Maelstorm or Masters Bow, Normally you would run 5pc armour/2pcmonster/3 jewelry with 2 daggers or 2h on the front bar only, the back bar would be those bows or if you're a mage a maelstorm staff. These special weapons have unique set effect that improve abilities, like endless hail, poison injection and blockade of fire. they greatly increase your dps so they re worth getting.

If you dont have the bows yet then it doesnt matter much but once you eventually get them what i said before will make sense.
    PC / NA @MellowMagic
    Imperial named with some sort of variation of "Deo"
    By the Divines...
    Answer ✓
  • Kolzki
    Kolzki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Both weapon damage and crit are important but you don't want to over stack in either. If you're running deadly and new moon then over stacking won't be a problem. Just get your crit to 50%+.

If you can't get your crit to 50%+ with a dagger and major savagery active then consider swapping to the theif. If you can get to 50 then all is good.

Also, if you're running vet trials then get a set of relequen. Both new moon acolyte and deadly are very strong but currently deadly wins as the set to pair with relequen on a templar.
    Answer ✓
  • ACamaroGuy
    ACamaroGuy
    ✭✭✭
    Asardes wrote: »
    For Stamina Templar Weapon Critical is more important, since you have a class passive - Piercing Spear - that gives you a +0.1 critical multiplier if you have an Aedric Spear skill slotted (ex. Biting Jabs front bar, Empowering Sweep back bar). 56 CP in Precise Strikes is +0.2, Minor Force (Barbed Trap) is +0.1, Shadow mundus with 7 divines is 0.14. Your default multiplier is 1.5 so with all those you should have 2.04. Major Force (Aggressive Horn) adds +0.15 but you don't have constant up time on that in group. Nevertheless in a good group your multiplier can get to about 2.10-2.15. So Weapon Critical is more important than weapon damage, especially in groups.

5M2H is not optimal, since you're losing 3% Weapon Critical from Dexterity, 4% cost reduction and 8% stamina recovery from Wind Walker compared to going 7M. New Moon Acolyte adds a 5% cost increase, so swapping the heavy monster set for medium will offset that cost increase. Using 1H6M or 1H1L5M makes sense only if your HP is really low, but for Imperial you already have 2K HP from race passives, so even with Artaeum Takeaway Broth or Dubious Camoran Throne you should have 18K+ on your own (20K+ with Ebon & Major Toughness).

Thank you for answering. I'll make the necessary monster set weight change. Should I get rid of Velidreth and use Grundwulf in its place?
    Edited by ACamaroGuy on December 4, 2019 12:08PM
    For the Empire
  • OG_Kaveman
    OG_Kaveman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Asardes shadow is 19% with 7 divines, not 14%>
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    OG_Kaveman wrote: »
    @Asardes shadow is 19% with 7 divines, not 14%>

Yep, did the math wrong. I forgot it got buffed. It's hard to find updated info offline. But the conclusion is the same.
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    Member of:

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle

Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • ACamaroGuy
    ACamaroGuy
    ✭✭✭

Can you please explain this? How do I determine what set is armor and what set get the weapon/jewelery? My thinking is if I run dual wield and now, I'll always have the 5 piece up and running. Somehow, I'm not fully understanding how all this works. Can you help a guy out? Thanks.
    For the Empire
  • ACamaroGuy
    ACamaroGuy
    ✭✭✭

Oh,

sorry this is only applicable if you have the Maelstorm or Masters Bow, Normally you would run 5pc armour/2pcmonster/3 jewelry with 2 daggers or 2h on the front bar only, the back bar would be those bows or if you're a mage a maelstorm staff. These special weapons have unique set effect that improve abilities, like endless hail, poison injection and blockade of fire. they greatly increase your dps so they re worth getting.

If you dont have the bows yet then it doesnt matter much but once you eventually get them what i said before will make sense.

Thank you for clarifying. I fully get what you're saying. Thank you again.
    For the Empire
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    vMA is not hard on Templar. Loads of trash to repent for healing and almost infinite sustain.
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/480761/unexpected-flawless-stamina-templar-2h-bow
    Edited by Asardes on December 4, 2019 8:40PM

PC-EU CP 3000+
    Member of:

Characters: