Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

why dont devs ever actually log into game and converse with zone chats ?

Master_Shorty
Master_Shorty
✭✭✭
I have been a member of the eso community for years now and have asked multiple questions here (very very seldom any responses from devs) in forums about specific game aspects, have tuned into the streams by zos, even asked there, still no responses, whats a person have to do to get a dev to respond to their questions ?
1) will there ever be any underwater content added ?

2) will the large private houses ever allow more than just a small handful of ppl to visit at the same time ?

3) why isn't pve & pvp content separated ? (it would seem to me that doing that would resolve a ton of the longstanding issues that are still ongoing across servers)

4) why does a person have to login to a website just to "chance" to get a response from a dev ? i prefer to be playing the game, not be on a forum trying to A) figure out where to post a question &
B) constantly having to check back just to see "IF" a response has been given (which has yet to been the case with my questions)

5) Why must i log into steam and watch some other person play the game to be chance granted a rewards crate ? it seems to me zos is more worried about stream promotion than they are its actual player base.

I have many more questions, these are just my top 5 that i can think of atm, i've been a pc gamer since pc gaming was 1st invented and a longstanding console gamer before that, this is the very 1st mmorpg i've ever played where a player HAS to go to a seperate site just to be in touch with the devs, and even then its chance that a response is given to said questions (or so it has been from my experience),, i'm a gamer, not a forums or stream watcher.
Kill Everyone, Steal the valuables & Turn the chosen.

King of Dragon's Evil Delusions RP Guild of Vampires/WereWolves & Necromancers.
GM of DED BLOODMARKET Trading Guild.
GM of DED OUTLAWS ASSOCIATION Trading Guild.
GM of DED BLOODBRIGADE PVP Guild (EP based).
GM of DED SICA ZUZECA Dungeon/Trials Guild.

Main Character's
Master Latharian Dark Elf Vampire mag Sorc cp1500+
Cujo the Fursum DK Khajiit WereWolf stam Tank cp1500+
Wakan Mah'nee Wood Elf stam Warden cp1500+
t'eicakis-thogkteka Dark Elf Necromancer cp1500+
wamanun Redguard Nightblade cp1500+
Mystique Chatterbox Orc Templar cp1500+

• Nerftheforums
    Nerftheforums
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1) Seriously doubt so, even lore wise it doesn't make too much sense. The water underworld is not that developed (correct me if I'm wrong, I'm no lore master)

2) no, they stated that already. Poopy servers is the answer I believe.

3) the said some time ago in a stream that they "do not want to have new players feel confused when going from pve to pvp and viceversa". That simply translates in lack of funds I believe since there are already some differences on how skills act in pvp and in pve (ambush is an easy example), and the tools to do so seem to be there (I'm no dev so I'm not talking out of knowledge, it's simply the impression they gave me and others). However, we do know how little the combat team is, so asking for a complete overhaul of the combat system in the sake of balance couldn't be further from the shareholder's interest. We are looking at a cash cow man, gotta milk it cuz *** longevity. Short term profits > all (again, my opinion, I'm not knowledgeable of the company's strategy whatsoever).

4) lol

5) the outboros crates are nothing but a way to stimulate and grow eso's presence on twitch. Dude, have you ever taken a look at the numbers? Eso is dead af on streaming platforms, the eso stream community is miniscule and so irrelevant. Just compare it with BDO or wow...even bodybuilding channels have more views than the whole of eso as a category. BODYBUILDING, ON TWITCH.
    Edited by Nerftheforums on December 4, 2019 10:45AM
  • FierceSam
    FierceSam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    So many reasons why this is a bad idea,....

.... so little time
  • phaneub17_ESO
    phaneub17_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They get bombarded with whispers, some friendly, some crazy fans, lots of angry people. Then they get stalked.
  • Jayman1000
    Jayman1000
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1) Seriously doubt so, even lore wise it doesn't make too much sense. The water underworld is not that developed (correct me if I'm wrong, I'm no lore master)

The ES franchise have had underwater content dating back to Morrowind. Oblivion had loads of interesting underwater locations. So lore wise I would say underwater content is definitely something that could/should be there. But my guess is zeni had to cut development somewhere, development resources aren't endless and as we all know the game had a tremendous development cost.

• Jayman1000
    Jayman1000
    ✭✭✭✭✭

5) Why must i log into steam and watch some other person play the game to be chance granted a rewards crate ? it seems to me zos is more worried about stream promotion than they are its actual player base..

Because it creates a lot of hype, and in turn more players and more income keeping the game alive.
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I suspect it is not an effective use of devs' time to chatter in zone chat. By the time you weed out who is not on line, who is not in that zone, who has zone chat disabled to avoid the spam, the audience reachable via this venue is not large enough.

I play the game to . . . well, play the game not to jabber. I come on the forums to learn about what's going on. I much prefer that venue. I'd be happy simply to hear from them more frequently on the forums here. :)
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • Fischblut
    Fischblut
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Mmm, zone chats :smiley:

CbcOI2S.jpg

But if seriously...
    why isn't pve & pvp content separated ?

I really wonder about it too, would be great to have it separated :/
    Why must i log into steam and watch some other person play the game to be chance granted a rewards crate ? it seems to me zos is more worried about stream promotion than they are its actual player base.

I would prefer to get crates for actually doing things in game (like we used to have crates for logins or killing a monster). Unfortunately, for Twitch crates we have to suffer a bit. But the time required to watch a stream for a possible drop got reduced from 10 to 5 minutes - so they do know that people are often watching streams just for drops. 5 minutes are easier to endure than 10, so it's some positive change :)
    why does a person have to login to a website just to "chance" to get a response from a dev ?

You can sumbit feedback through game help system, and just hope that person will actually read it. No guarantee that the feedback will be considered anyway... It would be nice to ask a question and get an answer. If feedback is not considered, I would love to hear why.

I sometimes send my opinions about some cosmetics (that's very important part of game for me), and I would love to hear from their designers. I don't think they get lot of feedback about cosmetics, so either they don't read it at all and I'm wasting my time, or they prefer not to listen to feedback :'(
    For example, when we got datamined pictures of Frost Atronach mounts, I instantly sent my feedback about them, and I would be interested to know why designers chose particular color scheme for their saddle/bridle. Brown color and weird-looking breast plates/bridles ruin the beautiful icy look of those mounts, in my opinion. What was the reason to not make them gray/white color at least? :( Who have designed Frost Atronach sabre cat mount with awesome armor and all in perfect color combination? Of course there is still hope that Frost Atronach mounts will have better armor, but based on my feedback about Xanmeer crate mounts, they probably won't :/

All Xanmeer mounts have dirty brown feet/paws, which looks really bad :/ But when they were released, this feedback was not taken in consideration, and I don't know why. They could have made their feet same green color as their bodies, maybe ligher or darker - it would look very nice.

Why mounts from past few crate seasons don't have cool/new voice edits? :'( Will all upcoming crate mounts perform new idle animations on character selection screen and in houses, like New Moon mounts? <3 Will all old crate mounts get these animations as well? I dream about the day when my Flame/Shadow Atronach senche would roar at me while I look at them!
    They get bombarded with whispers, some friendly, some crazy fans, lots of angry people. Then they get stalked.

That's sad... I don't like such behavior, and I would never want to slalk someone, no matter who they are.
    But if I saw a person who created sound effects for Flame Atronach senche, I would politely thank them for this masterpiece <3 Same for a person who enabled additional idle animations for New Moon mounts :)
  • Freakin_Hytte
    Freakin_Hytte
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Be honest with yourself, do you actually think the devs care about answering questions and taking "tips" from random players? (hence the reason why they haven't responded to you on your questions)

They have millions of active players, they don't the time to answer all of the questions they get and especially ones that have been on repeat for a long time. (yes I've seen the same questions as you have many times)

And imagine all the *** they would get in chat if one was to actually show up. A terrible suggestion.
    Edited by Freakin_Hytte on December 4, 2019 12:21PM
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    1) I don't think the game engine allows proper implementation of underwater swimming
    2) AFAIK bigger houses allow either 12 or 24 people to be in them at any given time
    3) It is separate to a certain degree, certain skills work differently on players and NPC, you get halved healing and damage done/received, and 5K+ HP from battle spirit. Also PvP areas are clearly delimited (IC, Cyrodiil, BG)
    4) Why would someone from the company log in game and chat in zone? Often zone chat is filled either with LFG, WTB/WTS/WTT or simply word salad kind of talk.
    5) I have logged in into one of those streams from Twitch and it was such boring gameplay I minimized it into my bar, offed the sound and kept playing the game. I mean, seriously, who would want to see 3 player grouped together light attacking overland mobs to death and otherwise showing they have no clue about the game? If someone streamed some skilled PvE (trial, arena, dungeon run w various achievements) or PvP fights I would have watched.
    Edited by Asardes on December 4, 2019 12:36PM
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • wenchmore420b14_ESO
    wenchmore420b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    As far as underwater content, this was explained why ESO doesn't/wont have underwater exploration in a ESO Live broadcast titled "Armchair Developer", linked here. Starts at 1:09:00...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3BhsqvscZz4&amp;t=1823s

Yes, the dev's do play, and they don't advertise it in game for the reasons given above. They would be harassed, bombarded with questions, and could never enjoy playing. I have chatted and played with a ZoS employee before, but can't say who.. :)

Housing limits have been addressed also in a ESO live segment, which I cant find at the moment, but the bottom line is because of Console performance issues and technical limits.

Hope this is helpful... Huzzah!
    Drakon Koryn~Oryndill, Rogue~Mage,- CP ~Doesn't matter any more
    NA / PC Beta Member since Nov 2013
    GM~Conclave-of-Shadows, EP Social Guild, ~Proud member of: The Wandering Merchants, Phoenix Rising, Imperial Trade Union & Celestials of Nirn
    Sister Guilds with: Coroner's Report, Children of Skyrim, Sunshine Daydream, Tamriel Fisheries, Knights Arcanum and more
    "Not All Who Wander are Lost"
    #MOREHOUSINGSLOTS
    “When the people that can make the company more successful are sales and marketing people, they end up running the companies. The product people get driven out of the decision making forums, and the companies forget what it means to make great products.”

_Steve Jobs (The Lost Interview)
  • InaMoonlight
    InaMoonlight
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    They DO, you just don't know it :) Cause they play the game too in most cases, not on Z accounts, but their own...
    Edit = Typos ... as usual. <;D
  • Shanehere
    Shanehere
    ✭✭✭
    Zone chat is the absolute last place I would want ZOS taking suggestions from.
  • January1171
    January1171
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have been a member of the eso community for years now and have asked multiple questions here (very very seldom any responses from devs) in forums about specific game aspects, have tuned into the streams by zos, even asked there, still no responses, whats a person have to do to get a dev to respond to their questions ?

2) will the large private houses ever allow more than just a small handful of ppl to visit at the same time ?

3) why isn't pve & pvp content separated ? (it would seem to me that doing that would resolve a ton of the longstanding issues that are still ongoing across servers)

4) why does a person have to login to a website just to "chance" to get a response from a dev ? i prefer to be playing the game, not be on a forum trying to A) figure out where to post a question &
    B) constantly having to check back just to see "IF" a response has been given (which has yet to been the case with my questions)

5) Why must i log into steam and watch some other person play the game to be chance granted a rewards crate ? it seems to me zos is more worried about stream promotion than they are its actual player base.

I have many more questions, these are just my top 5 that i can think of atm, i've been a pc gamer since pc gaming was 1st invented and a longstanding console gamer before that, this is the very 1st mmorpg i've ever played where a player HAS to go to a seperate site just to be in touch with the devs, and even then its chance that a response is given to said questions (or so it has been from my experience),, i'm a gamer, not a forums or stream watcher.

There's a lot of people that play this game. To expect them to answer every question in some form is RIDICULOUS. If the devs tried to answer every question they get asked, they'd be doing nothing but answering questions. Add in the fact there are probably some questions they can't answer publicly because they're either working on implementing it (i.e. story questions) or they just don't have an answer.

As for Twitch drops, that's literally the point. They're trying to get you to go watch people on twitch, because then that drives interest in the game. (If you don't, all you miss is the chance to very slowly earn some cosmetics. Not exactly game breaking for people who can't/won't do it.) It's marketing. Zos is allowed to market their game.
  • January1171
    January1171
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    And fyi, you can set a bookmark/follow a forum thread and set your notifications so that you get an email whenever someone adds to the thread.
  • Kagukan
    Kagukan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Because people are rude. The End!
  • jircris11
    jircris11
    ✭✭✭✭✭

They use to back in p2p days, but player hostility made it pointless.
    IGN: Ki'rah
    Khajiit/Vampire
    DC/AD faction/NA server.
    RPer
  • Ashtaris
    Ashtaris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Zone chat is toxic enough especially in the starter zones. I can’t imagine what it would be like if a ZOS employee suddenly appeared saying “I’m a ZOS developer, do you have any feedback for me”? LOL
  • jircris11
    jircris11
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ashtaris wrote: »
    Zone chat is toxic enough especially in the starter zones. I can’t imagine what it would be like if a ZOS employee suddenly appeared saying “I’m a ZOS developer, do you have any feedback for me”? LOL

They did that, I saw ppl say some messed up things
    IGN: Ki'rah
    Khajiit/Vampire
    DC/AD faction/NA server.
    RPer
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Easy answer. They have to treat what they say like a public relations person.

Everything they say will be quoted and taken out of context if it can be by internet trolls looking to ‘score points’ in a game no one else is playing. Plus, once something’s been said it will be thrown back at them like they aren’t allowed to change their mind.
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • January1171
    January1171
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Iskiab wrote: »
    Easy answer. They have to treat what they say like a public relations person.

Everything they say will be quoted and taken out of context if it can be by internet trolls looking to ‘score points’ in a game no one else is playing. Plus, once something’s been said it will be thrown back at them like they aren’t allowed to change their mind.

This too
  • nafensoriel
    nafensoriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Unless you are subnautica, underwater content has historically been a great way to waste your time as a developer.
    Most players hate it. A significant minority actually get sick playing water-based content. Very few people like the sound of being under water. (and animating swimming and fighting underwater SUUUUCCCCKKKKs).
    That and the engine really wasn't built for it. It does Z.. but I don't think there is any framework for transition work done.
    Except for skills it is? You cant world PVP and PVE in a PVP environment is still PVP. The idea for splitting skills wasn't really a thing 10 years ago so that side of it is probably just a "we didn't think of it and now it's too late" kinda thing.
    Devs can respond at any time to the forums. They all have accounts. They actually do talk here fairly common considering how big ZOS is. Most of the time when you get to talk to a developer its because they don't have a community manager.
    They are also busy people. Do you think its fair for them to be bombarded with personal answer requests from millions of players?
    Blame social media and the influencer generation. That's how modern marketing is done because apparently people like watching games and not playing games.
    I call BS. Every single game ever made requires you to go to another site to talk to developers. No one has an integrated system in their games. Heck, Bioware makes you join multiple social media platforms just to find nuggets of information about their games.
    Forums are for you to get answers from the community and they have been around for a long long time. Often you'll find you can ask a question that does not require a developer response(in fact 99.9% of them can be answered by a player probably).

/edit
    Oh, yah and gina pops into zone chat with the ZOS tag occasionally.
    Remember she has her own private account for when shes not in CS mode and plays that(and she actually PLAYS the game).
    Edited by nafensoriel on December 4, 2019 4:56PM
  • MEBengalsFan2001
    MEBengalsFan2001
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Devs don't get into the game zone chat because chat in the game is more toxic than the forums or other community fan pages. Most MMO games have site admins or other type of roles that filter things over to the devs.

Doesn't ESO have a player counsel or something along those lines that works with the devs?
  • oxygen_thief
    oxygen_thief
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Jayman1000 wrote: »

5) Why must i log into steam and watch some other person play the game to be chance granted a rewards crate ? it seems to me zos is more worried about stream promotion than they are its actual player base..

Because it creates a lot of hype, and in turn more players and more income keeping the game alive.

it doesnt create anything. its a most stupid idea as for me because you dont need to watch it actually to get your reward. just open it in a another tab and turn off the sound. rewards are trash anyway its just a waste of time
  • vgabor
    vgabor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You have a serious misconception what dev are and do :)

Devs are the people who develop the game, software engineers, graphical and visual designers and such and apart from some very rare exceptions it's not their job to talk with end customers at all. And anyway they usually very geeky, speak in computer slang which mere morals wouldn't even understand :)

The people who are in contact with the players are the community managers, customer support, game masters, who actually can speak human and have an understanding how the game functions. But they are not the ones developing the game, they just aggregate and intermediate the informations about what going on behind the scenes, and interact with the players.
  • nafensoriel
    nafensoriel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    vgabor wrote: »
    You have a serious misconception what dev are and do :)

Devs are the people who develop the game, software engineers, graphical and visual designers and such and apart from some very rare exceptions it's not their job to talk with end customers at all. And anyway they usually very geeky, speak in computer slang which mere morals wouldn't even understand :)

The people who are in contact with the players are the community managers, customer support, game masters, who actually can speak human and have an understanding how the game functions. But they are not the ones developing the game, they just aggregate and intermediate the informations about what going on behind the scenes, and interact with the players.

Kinda off topic but devs are slightly more approachable than scientists... If you ever want to have evil fun and you employ a bunch of actual lab rats you can see the start of a synchronized heart attack just by telling them they have to make a surprise presentation to actual people.

If you offer devs pizza and beer they'll talk your bloody ears off most times :D

• Goregrinder
    Goregrinder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    ESO Players: "Why aren't the devs working hard fixing all of these bugs and creating new interesting content???..."

Also ESO Players: "Why don't devs spend time chatting with us in Zone Chat for a bit every once in a while?..."

Well which one of those do you want?
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I work in a similar field - mobile telecom - and there are 2 layers between us and the actual customer: customer care and a low level technical one as well as several above, more specialized for various fields. Most work is actually pro-active, you follow various counters to ensure services actually work correctly. I think this server has plenty of counters and a couple of people who monitor the KPIs and give feedback to the actual developers. They have a much clearer view of things than any actual customer, and a more informed, specialist way of generating solutions.
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • SidraWillowsky
    SidraWillowsky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Have you ever actually played a game where the underwater thing was super done well and not heinously clunky (where it involves actual swimming, not walking on the bottom of the ocean and stuff)? It's always been horrific in the games I've played- the amount of control I have over the character is greatly diminished and doing anything underwater is a massive chore.