The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Magsorc Build

Sewyr
Sewyr
Hey guys 1 month old new player here

I'm basically lost on how to progress with my build. I have full mother's sorrow & zaan pieces all legendary with divines.

Now for jewelry and weapons, im running willpower for rings and necklace, and precise+infused magnus' gift weapons.

I know i need a better jewelry and weapon set, but what should I go for?

I know later on I would need perfected false god for armor and could go for MS for jewelry/weapons but until then what are your thoughts on the best weapon & ring pieces for my current build for PVE?
  • T3hasiangod
    T3hasiangod
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Julianos is a solid starter option, though jewelry is expensive. You might want to get MS jewelry now and craft/buy Julianos weapons and 3 armor pieces instead.
    PC/NA - Mayflower, Hellfire Dominion

Dro-m'Athra Destroyer - Divayth Fyr's Coadjutor - Voice of Reason - Gryphon Heart - The Unchained - Extinguisher of Flames

Tank - Healer - DPS (all classes, all specs)

Youtube - Twitch
  • zvavi
    zvavi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Julianos is a solid starter option, though jewelry is expensive. You might want to get MS jewelry now and craft/buy Julianos weapons and 3 armor pieces instead.

What he said
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    MS jewelry and staves are the typical setup for a lot of the magsorc builds. You can farm the purple jewelry quickly at dolmens and run that quest in Deshaan to get MS infused lighting staves. Don't be a sucker and plop down 300k-500k for an MS destro staff.

I ran julianos until I unlocked CP 160. Then I ran a petsorc to level up skills for both petsorc and non-pet magsorc as quite a few overlap. Found it to be easier as it put out a lot of damage, had near infinite sustain, had great self-heals, and reliable shields so I could run it in even the worst pugs. Necro + MS + Zaan is the go-to for that. You can farm it or just buy it from guild traders. Necro body pieces are not that expensive.
  • Sewyr
    Sewyr
    Thank you guys for your feedback!!
  • Lord-Otto
    Lord-Otto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Mother's Sorrow and Zaan are BiS, all good here.
    The second five-piece is complicated. False God is BiS, especially perfected. But it's difficult to get. Second best is Burning Spellweave if you are using fire staves. Necropotence with pets is on par with BSW, a bit less damage, a bit more sustain. Julianos is solid and very easy to get, unless you're aiming for jewelry. Don't, that's a waste.
    I would say, just pick the set you can get. FG requires a big group, but that also means a big trading pool. BSW can be solo farmed. Necro jewelry is very easy to get. And Julianos should be pretty much free (except Jewelry). Make your pick.
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Agree with @Lord-Otto. Right now is a good time to farm False Gods in NSS as there are double drops until next Monday. Plus, a lot of people are gunning for the staves so you should be able to get body pieces.
  • Sewyr
    Sewyr
    Thank you guys for your replies, this gave me a path to walk on!

One last question, is there a huge difference in DPS between green & purple jewelry pieces? I spent all my money that I had saved for MS body pieces, and jewelry(MS or julianos)is SOOOOOO expensive & I dont understand why :D
    Edited by Sewyr on December 3, 2019 10:55PM
  • WrathOfInnos
    WrathOfInnos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I personally wouldn’t spend the time to farm normal False Gods if you plan on getting Perfected soon, and BSW isn’t worth the farm IMO. Just buy a set of Spell Strat (ideally with an Inferno Staff) to pair with your Mother’s Sorrow and you’ll be 99% geared. Also give vMA a shot if you haven’t yet, the staff from there is great and the arena is the best way to test your skills and prepare for harder vet content.
  • Lord-Otto
    Lord-Otto
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    There is quite a difference, it affects the whole set bonus and your gear bonus. But you know, don't worry too much about that for now. Get a solid setup, get your rotation down and learn mechanics. That'll get you through vet dungeons. And then just keep adding better pieces bit by bit, as your resources allow you.
    =)
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sewyr wrote: »
    Thank you guys for your replies, this gave me a path to walk on!

One last question, is there a huge difference in DPS between green & purple jewelry pieces? I spent all my money that I had saved for MS body pieces, and jewelry(MS or julianos)is SOOOOOO expensive & I dont understand why :D

The difference in stats between gold and purple jewelry is minimal. Crafted jewelry is so expensive because materials are expensive. To make a single piece you 3 Zircon Platings (15-18K a piece), 2 Iridium Platings (6-7.5K a piece), 1 Terne Plating (6-700 gold a piece) and 100-150 Platinum Ounces (10-12 gold a piece). Plus the trait stone which can be pretty expensive, for example the Aurbic Amber for Infused is 7-8K, Slaughterstone for Bloodthisty is 1.5-2K. So between 60-90K gold in materials just to craft them. By comparison Mother's Sorrow purple jewelry is 15-20K gold. So less than 1/4 of the price.
    Edited by Asardes on December 3, 2019 11:14PM
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • Eejit1331
    Eejit1331
    ✭✭✭
    Agree with @Lord-Otto. Right now is a good time to farm False Gods in NSS as there are double drops until next Monday. Plus, a lot of people are gunning for the staves so you should be able to get body pieces.

What are they pairing with the false god staves with? I got one and didn't see a huge benefit.
  • Asardes
    Asardes
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    False God is definitely a body set because you want the cost reduction on back bar too. Normally Maelstrom staff will go on back bar so another set needs to be Jewelry+Staff, or 3 armor and staff. Something like False God 3 Jewels + 2 Armor and Julainos 3 Armor + Staff would work well. Until you get Maelstrom staff you ca use a Wilpower one on the back bar or have another Julianos; don't even bother upgrading that to gold since it's provisional.
    Beta tester since February 2014, played ESO-TU October 2015 - August 2022, currently on an extended break
    vMA (The Flawless Conqueror) | vVH (Spirit Slayer & of the Undying Song) | vDSA | vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL | vAS+1 | Emperor

PC-EU CP 3000+
    41,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Pact Veteran Trade: Exemplary
    Traders of the Covenant: God of Sales
    Tamriels Emporium: God of Sales
    Valinor Overflow: Trader
    The Traveling Merchant: Silver

Characters:
    Asardes | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 50 | Master Crafter: all traits & recipes, all styles released before High Isle
    Alxaril Nelcarion | 50 High Elf Sorcerer | AD AR 20 |
    Dro'Bear Three-paws | 50 Khajiit Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Veronique Nicole | 50 Breton Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Sabina Flavia Cosades | 50 Imperial Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Ervesa Neloren | 50 Dark Elf Dragonknight | EP AR 20 |
    Fendar Khodwin | 50 Redguard Sorcerer | DC AR 20 |
    Surilanwe of Lillandril | 50 High Elf Nightblade | AD AR 20 |
    Joleen the Swift | 50 Redguard Templar | DC AR 20 |
    Draynor Telvanni | 50 Dark Elf Warden | EP AR 20 |
    Claudius Tharn | 50 Necromancer | DC AR 20 |
    Nazura-la the Bonedancer | 50 Necromancer | AD AR 20 |

Tharkul gro-Shug | 50 Orc Dragonknight | DC AR 4 |
    Ushruka gra-Lhurgash | 50 Orc Sorcerer | AD AR 4 |
    Cienwen ferch Llywelyn | 50 Breton Nightblade | DC AR 4 |
    Plays-with-Sunray | 50 Argonian Templar | EP AR 4 |
    Milariel | 50 Wood Elf Warden | AD AR 4 |
    Scheei-Jul | 50 Necromancer | EP AR 4 |

PC-NA CP 1800+
    30,000+ Achievement Points before High Isle
    Member of:
    Savage Blade: Majestic Machette

Characters:
    Asardes the Exile | 50 Nord Dragonknight | EP AR 30 |
  • El_Borracho
    El_Borracho
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Eejit1331 wrote: »

What are they pairing with the false god staves with? I got one and didn't see a huge benefit.

I have no idea. Maybe Mother's Sorrow body pieces? Those lightning staffs are expensive...

But I can attest, people are hunting them every time I've been in there. Just like they constantly want the blue jewelry. I guess if you had a ton of purple jewelry mats you were dying to use.
    Edited by El_Borracho on December 4, 2019 12:11AM
  • Aerenel
    Aerenel
    ✭✭✭
    mothers sorrow body, spell strategist frontbar and you have enough stats to pull competitive dps in any content. after that specific trial sets or monster sets will give you marginal gains, but it's mostly personal dps progression.