Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Should damage shields provide passive defense against status effects?

phoenixkungfu
phoenixkungfu
✭✭✭✭
Hello all damage shields have received many balance gameplay nerf and are in a good place. It is my belief that damage shields should provide protection against damage and nothing more. Since eso launch in 2014. Damage shield has received many adjustments to reflect this direction. However Damage shield passively protects against status effects. Alot of players do not notice this but after alot of testing it's TRUE. I ask should damage shields provide passive defense against status effects?
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    It seems that if an attack is not sufficient breach the shield that no aspect of the attack should have an leave effect on the target as it did not touch the target.
    Edited by idk on November 30, 2019 4:09PM
  • phoenixkungfu
    phoenixkungfu
    ✭✭✭✭
    What about poor position of the damage shield user. Should passive defense be provided to the damage shield user if they are standing in a wall of elements or endless arrows.
  • phoenixkungfu
    phoenixkungfu
    ✭✭✭✭
    also my belief in pvp is That because of this passive defense. It effects builds creativity and gameplay. As a example combustion passive on a dk gives 250 magic or stam based on the burning or poison status effect. As 1 of many examples I believe there would be more builds focus around this passive. Builds would come out as fire and ice or the fire staff would be used more on a dk. Which in return might stop permanent block builds. It's all connected
    Edited by phoenixkungfu on November 30, 2019 4:51PM
  • Kel
    Kel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    +#*
    Edited by Kel on November 30, 2019 5:48PM
  • Nord_Raseri
    Nord_Raseri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kel wrote: »
    +#*

I second that
    Veit ég aðég hékk vindga meiði á nætr allar níu, geiri undaðr og gefinn Oðni, sjálfr sjálfum mér, á þeim meiði er manngi veit hvers hann af rótum rennr.
  • OG_Kaveman
    OG_Kaveman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    also my belief in pvp is That because of this passive defense. It effects builds creativity and gameplay. As a example combustion passive on a dk gives 250 magic or stam based on the burning or poison status effect. As 1 of many examples I believe there would be more builds focus around this passive. Builds would come out as fire and ice or the fire staff would be used more on a dk. Which in return might stop permanent block builds. It's all connected

That passive gives 500 mag or Stam.
  • OG_Kaveman
    OG_Kaveman
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That passive gives 500 mag or Stam.
  • redspecter23
    redspecter23
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see damage shields as basically just "bonus" health added on top of your current health pool. Looking at it that way, I think any aspect of the attack should hit the shielded target. I'm not sure on the logic behind getting not only bonus health but also the ability to negate certain aspects of the attack as well. If this is intended behavior then I would like to see it outlined specifically in the description of damage shields as the impression from tooltips is that it just absorbs damage currently.
  • Kolzki
    Kolzki
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Didn't they fix this in the last major patch? From PC/Mac Patch Notes v5.2.5 - Dragonhold & Update 24:
    • Fixed an issue where a damage type’s status effect of damage caused to targets would fail to apply if they had a Damage Shield active.
  • Banana
    Banana
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You stamina fullas dont need any more help
  • phoenixkungfu
    phoenixkungfu
    ✭✭✭✭
    Kolzki wrote: »
    Didn't they fix this in the last major patch? From PC/Mac Patch Notes v5.2.5 - Dragonhold & Update 24:
    • Fixed an issue where a damage type’s status effect of damage caused to targets would fail to apply if they had a Damage Shield active.

No it still doesn't work
  • brandonv516
    brandonv516
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It would be great for this to be looked into if it was supposed to be fixed.
  • VaranisArano
    VaranisArano
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kolzki wrote: »

No it still doesn't work

Then report it to ZOS with the results of your testing.

"Hey, ZOS, your fix in Dragonhold didn't work, here's evidence" is a perfectly valid way to approach the situation.
  • Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

1- that's a crappy passive... it doesn't work against dunmer (on a mdk) or bosmer (on a sdk). Any duel against those races is half lost before it starts.

2- I have 0 problem against sorcs using shields to protect them against statuses. I mean, that's the reason why shields exist. Anyway, to do real dmg against a shielded sorc there's always the Oblivion dmg wildcard

3- Instead of asking for the almost neglectable statuses, I would ask for a buff to bleeds based on the type of armor the enemy is using, giving a higher bonus against HA
    Sarcasm is something too serious to be taken lightly

I was born with the wrong sign
    In the wrong house
    With the wrong ascendancy
    I took the wrong road
    That led to the wrong tendencies
    I was in the wrong place at the wrong time
    For the wrong reason and the wrong rhyme
    On the wrong day of the wrong week
    Used the wrong method with the wrong technique
  • KillsAllElves
    KillsAllElves
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see damage shields as basically just "bonus" health added on top of your current health pool. Looking at it that way, I think any aspect of the attack should hit the shielded target. I'm not sure on the logic behind getting not only bonus health but also the ability to negate certain aspects of the attack as well. If this is intended behavior then I would like to see it outlined specifically in the description of damage shields as the impression from tooltips is that it just absorbs damage currently.

That is A reason why this games pvp is azzbackwards.
  • OG_Kaveman
    OG_Kaveman
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Xvorg wrote: »

1- that's a crappy passive... it doesn't work against dunmer (on a mdk) or bosmer (on a sdk). Any duel against those races is half lost before it starts.

2- I have 0 problem against sorcs using shields to protect them against statuses. I mean, that's the reason why shields exist. Anyway, to do real dmg against a shielded sorc there's always the Oblivion dmg wildcard

3- Instead of asking for the almost neglectable statuses, I would ask for a buff to bleeds based on the type of armor the enemy is using, giving a higher bonus against HA

You do realize that sets, like bsw, and skills, like burning embers provide a unique source of burning to proc that passive right? And that anyone with resist poison or flame enchantments on their jewelry get the same protection from random burning/poison procs right?