The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Shifting Standard is a wasted opportunity

• NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    If Shifting didn't shift/resynergize, it could just be replaced by Cyrodiil's Ward and spin to win on any stam character.
  • Ragnarock41
    Ragnarock41
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    NBrookus wrote: »
    If Shifting didn't shift/resynergize, it could just be replaced by Cyrodiil's Ward and spin to win on any stam character.

Honestly my only wish for shifting standart is for it to do poison damage if stamina/weapon damage is higher. I mean the soul line dot already works this way so it shouldn't be impossible to code right?

But Cyrodiil's ward is not a good replacement. Honestly all you need is a warden using the AoE defile ability. It also comes with a synergy :trollface:
    Edited by Ragnarock41 on November 27, 2019 2:13AM
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Oh sure, but you could bring any stam class in that. Corrupting is pretty hard to sustain in group for a stamden, especially with Frost Cloak and Wings and Shimmering.

WTB magicka set that defiles. We need more Major Defile out there.
  • Davadin
    Davadin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Somewhere wrote: »

As far as I can see you would want Shifting Standard for the following reasons:
    • To make sure enemies take the full damage of your attack in the event of a mobile boss fight
    • For use in pvp, to make sure enemies cannot move out of its range, maybe as area denial

This is where you're.... not using it as it's designed to do.

There's actually 1 reason for Shifting standard. That is to make sure enemies take full damage in the event they are being mobile.

That's both PvE and PvP.

It has defile, very good DoT and can have synergies with others whether they're in the same group or not. And it's 30 freakin second.

I don't slot it when I solo Cyrodiil, but in a group, or even when busting a keep's back flag, I can simply drop it, and walk away hiding while holding the block button.... and let the zerg takes care of the rest.

Shifting is a decent DPS ultimate and a great support ultimate.

If anything, I'd like to make sure that players can synergized the shackle on EVERY DROP.... that will be insane.
    August Palatine Davadin Bloodstrake - Nord Dragon Knight - PC NA - Gray Host
    Greymoor 6.0.7 PvP : Medium 2H/SnB The Destroyer
    Dragonhold 5.2.11 PvE : Medium DW/2H The Blood Furnace
    March 2021 (too lazy to add CP) PvP: Medium DW/Bow The Stabber
  • Somewhere
    Somewhere
    ✭✭✭✭
    Davadin wrote: »

• To make sure enemies take the full damage of your attack in the event of a mobile boss fight
    • For use in pvp, to make sure enemies cannot move out of its range, maybe as area denial

There's actually 1 reason for Shifting standard. That is to make sure enemies take full damage in the event they are being mobile.

That's both PvE and PvP.

It has defile, very good DoT and can have synergies with others whether they're in the same group or not. And it's 30 freakin second.

I don't slot it when I solo Cyrodiil, but in a group, or even when busting a keep's back flag, I can simply drop it, and walk away hiding while holding the block button.... and let the zerg takes care of the rest.

If anything, I'd like to make sure that players can synergized the shackle on EVERY DROP.... that will be insane.

Well right, but you still have to recast it each time to make sure the player stays where it aoe is. Each time you're using a GCD to get that done, and further you need to be near the enemy to get it there there in the first place.

It honestly sounds like you're using it as area denial. Either way, my argument is that's a fairly niche use and could just as easily be available on both morphs. Then we could have another morph.

I definitely get what you're saying and I did think of that use myself, hence fusing the two morphs so that specific type of use wouldn't disappear.
  • Davadin
    Davadin
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That's both PvE and PvP.

Well right, but you still have to recast it each time to make sure the player stays where it aoe is. Each time you're using a GCD to get that done, and further you need to be near the enemy to get it there there in the first place.

It honestly sounds like you're using it as area denial. Either way, my argument is that's a fairly niche use and could just as easily be available on both morphs. Then we could have another morph.

I definitely get what you're saying and I did think of that use myself, hence fusing the two morphs so that specific type of use wouldn't disappear.

spending a GCD for keeping up a defile and DoT seems fair for an ulti. im talking about PvP.

there's little to no reason to this shifting morph for PvE.
  • Somewhere
    Somewhere
    ✭✭✭✭

That's both PvE and PvP.

spending a GCD for keeping up a defile and DoT seems fair for an ulti. im talking about PvP.

I'm aware you're talking about PvP here, but your example was fairly specific which is my entire point: the ultimate is too niche. You described a situation that really only occurs in Cyrodiil, where you can drop the ultimate on a flag and then "simply drop it, and walk away hiding while holding the block button.... and let the zerg takes care of the rest."

You can't do that in a duel. You can't do that in a deathmatch BG. You can barely do it in a landgrab BG, and again I would argue you're better off with SoM in that case because you're A: trying to be on the flag yourself so it doesn't matter if you can't move the dot and B: it does more damage so you can dispatch enemies more quickly.

I literally just want both morphs of the ultimate to be useful to a greater amount of people in more situations. Shifting really only shines in Cyrodiil with a bunch of people around you it seems.

Also, I would argue that spending a GCD (and 225 ultimate) for a DOT and a defile only seems fair because it seems the sources of Major Defile have dwindled over time, and that's a shame. That's a completely other topic though.
  • Davadin
    Davadin
    ✭✭✭✭✭

That's both PvE and PvP.

I'm aware you're talking about PvP here, but your example was fairly specific which is my entire point: the ultimate is too niche. You described a situation that really only occurs in Cyrodiil, where you can drop the ultimate on a flag and then "simply drop it, and walk away hiding while holding the block button.... and let the zerg takes care of the rest."

You can't do that in a duel. You can't do that in a deathmatch BG. You can barely do it in a landgrab BG, and again I would argue you're better off with SoM in that case because you're A: trying to be on the flag yourself so it doesn't matter if you can't move the dot and B: it does more damage so you can dispatch enemies more quickly.

I literally just want both morphs of the ultimate to be useful to a greater amount of people in more situations. Shifting really only shines in Cyrodiil with a bunch of people around you it seems.

Also, I would argue that spending a GCD (and 225 ultimate) for a DOT and a defile only seems fair because it seems the sources of Major Defile have dwindled over time, and that's a shame. That's a completely other topic though.

oh no, no thats just one example. more often than not i'm RIGHT THERE with the standard. but in BG and Cyro, nobody (except damn tank builds) would stand around in a banner. they would move.

thats where Shifting is very useful for your allies to hit shackle. i personally dont think its niche.

with SoM, people in Cyro - and especially BG - would run the hell away from a DK standard. i think its pretty useful.

But yes, it has no benefit over SOM for dueling, but we can't have the cake AND eat it too, yknow? :wink:
    but hey, people WOULD stay away from standard in duel too, no? :tongue: so perhaps u just grab Leap or DBoS as ultimate for duel.............

either way, just my 2c based on my experience, but i agree Shifting could use a buff, absolutely.

and magma armor.

who uses that stuff???
  • Xvorg
    Xvorg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Ideally, if I was the Game Developer behind this design, Dragonknight's Shifting Standard ultimate/morph would function similar to a real Standard Carrier / Standard Bearer and move with the player, just like Destruction Staff's Eye of the Storm ultimate/morph, where the AOE is a radius around the player and moves with the player. Or Stam-Sorcerer's Hurricane ability; again, where the player is the center of the AOE. Shifting Standard should be reworked into this design for more mobility but less damage than Standard of Might. Dragonknight's standard ultimate morph choices should be between duration/mobility and more damage/area-denial.

Combine them.

You can carry the standard for some effect, and plant it for extra dmg, synergies, major/minor buff/debuff, etc.

Sarcasm is something too serious to be taken lightly

I was born with the wrong sign
    In the wrong house
    With the wrong ascendancy
    I took the wrong road
    That led to the wrong tendencies
    I was in the wrong place at the wrong time
    For the wrong reason and the wrong rhyme
    On the wrong day of the wrong week
    Used the wrong method with the wrong technique
  • nryerson1025
    nryerson1025
    ✭✭✭✭
    OP, as I started reading your post, my first impression was that you just did not grasp the utility of shifting standard in PvP. But I kept reading and...

I was wrong! I like your idea :) I'd love to see more dk healers out there