The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Wanted: Secure method of exchanging crown items for gold

• ZarkingFrued
    ZarkingFrued
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am pretty sure ZOS never intended for people to exchange Crowns for In game gold, but noticed that people do it so they don't ban you for doing it, but also don't plan on facilitating it themselves.

Seriously? You really believe that? You really think ZOS didn't consider the massive profit potential of allowing players with a lot of money to sell crown items to players with a lot of in game gold but no extra cash? You have a lot to learn.
    Edited by ZarkingFrued on November 20, 2019 1:17PM
  • Kittytravel
    Kittytravel
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/5205829/#Comment_5205829
    and
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/5208334/#Comment_5208334

Just to address the people in this thread saying ZOS doesn't sanction/expect people to trade gold for crown gifting. They very much do and have already spoken on it condoning the practice.
    However I don't want them to add a way to do it in game inherently, I'd rather just continue using guild services. (I don't use the Discord as many trade guilds offer a crown exchange service with the actual punishment of a scammer being them getting blacklisted in a part of the game that would potentially ruin them. Imagine not being able to get into a trade guild.)

Plus if they add a system themselves it will also hard lock the gold to crown ratio and I'd prefer that remained controlled by the player base demand and I'm sure ZOS agrees with that as well.

To protect yourself just take screenshots of the entire transaction and of ALL conversations.
    Do not agree to anything outside of the game. Agree and discuss everything inside the game only because ZOS is not held accountable for what happens outside their game and that is final.
  • Goregrinder
    Goregrinder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/5205829/#Comment_5205829
    and
    https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/5208334/#Comment_5208334

Just to address the people in this thread saying ZOS doesn't sanction/expect people to trade gold for crown gifting. They very much do and have already spoken on it condoning the practice.
    However I don't want them to add a way to do it in game inherently, I'd rather just continue using guild services. (I don't use the Discord as many trade guilds offer a crown exchange service with the actual punishment of a scammer being them getting blacklisted in a part of the game that would potentially ruin them. Imagine not being able to get into a trade guild.)

Plus if they add a system themselves it will also hard lock the gold to crown ratio and I'd prefer that remained controlled by the player base demand and I'm sure ZOS agrees with that as well.

To protect yourself just take screenshots of the entire transaction and of ALL conversations.
    Do not agree to anything outside of the game. Agree and discuss everything inside the game only because ZOS is not held accountable for what happens outside their game and that is final.

Woa I never said they don't allow it. I said they do allow.
  • Goregrinder
    Goregrinder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I am pretty sure ZOS never intended for people to exchange Crowns for In game gold, but noticed that people do it so they don't ban you for doing it, but also don't plan on facilitating it themselves.

Seriously? You really believe that? You really think ZOS didn't consider the massive profit potential of allowing players with a lot of money to sell crown items to players with a lot of in game gold but no extra cash? You have a lot to learn.

I have no empirical evidence to lead me to believe that they did originally intend to have players trade crowns for gold using an in game trade system. If you have you have pictures or tweets or video of the design team responsible for designing the crown gifting systems showing that they originally planned to let players trade gold for crowns, please link them to me.

But as someone else here mentioned, ALL speculation on it is meaningless. If ZOS really wants a feature added to the game, they will find a way to add it.
  • yodased
    yodased
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If they gave you that they would be creating a analogous currency with actual value which brings up a lot of legal problems for them especially in the e.u.

By keeping the currency without actual value of items they give you a way to convert gold to crowns but it's not official therefore removing the legal issues they would run into.

Psychology is a big reason they make you convert to virtual currency, but legal issues is why that virtual currency has no real value.
    Tl;dr really weigh the fun you have in game vs the business practices you are supporting.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I have no empirical evidence to lead me to believe that they did originally intend to have players trade crowns for gold using an in game trade system. If you have you have pictures or tweets or video of the design team responsible for designing the crown gifting systems showing that they originally planned to let players trade gold for crowns, please link them to me.

But as someone else here mentioned, ALL speculation on it is meaningless. If ZOS really wants a feature added to the game, they will find a way to add it.

But we do know, for a fact, that Zos does allow trading crown store items for gold. They have blessed it and made a statement through their official community manager.

That is all that really matters at this point. Really no point to haggle about what Zos may or may not have intended.

Source is Gina
  • Casul
    Casul
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Just because they may not have intended the gift system to be used for CtoG transactions doesn't mean they should ignore the system exists. To the contrary they should embrace it. Much like they did with animation canceling.
    PvP needs more love.
  • Goregrinder
    Goregrinder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    idk wrote: »

But we do know, for a fact, that Zos does allow trading crown store items for gold. They have blessed it and made a statement through their official community manager.

That is all that really matters at this point. Really no point to haggle about what Zos may or may not have intended.

Source is Gina

Yes....they are at this current time, ok with it. But was it their "original" intention when they designed the system years ago? You say "yes", so link me some evidence of that.
  • Goregrinder
    Goregrinder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    BuildMan wrote: »
    Just because they may not have intended the gift system to be used for CtoG transactions doesn't mean they should ignore the system exists. To the contrary they should embrace it. Much like they did with animation canceling.

And that is my only point, that they did not intend for it to be used this way. Whether they should or shouldn't is another question, that I have no comment on.
  • Goregrinder
    Goregrinder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    yodased wrote: »
    If they gave you that they would be creating a analogous currency with actual value which brings up a lot of legal problems for them especially in the e.u.

By keeping the currency without actual value of items they give you a way to convert gold to crowns but it's not official therefore removing the legal issues they would run into.

Psychology is a big reason they make you convert to virtual currency, but legal issues is why that virtual currency has no real value.

Imagine being able to pay rent to a landlord or buy accounts, to funnel crowns into that you can later off load in the form as gold and back into USD. Kind of like what people were doing with CSGO and keys.
  • SirLeeMinion
    SirLeeMinion
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ... Plus if they add a system themselves it will also hard lock the gold to crown ratio and I'd prefer that remained controlled by the player base demand and I'm sure ZOS agrees with that as well.

To protect yourself just take screenshots of the entire transaction and of ALL conversations...
    While GW2 has a secure exchange mechanism with a developer-set exchange rate, Eve Online uses a secure method that is player market driven. It is interesting, too, that game developers in the later case actually encourage scamming but still offer a secure method.

Taking screen shots etc... is good advice. It's been well over a year (two?) since I got a reimbursement from getting scammed on my main account, and screen shots of chat certainly helped. While I am highly critical of the ESO combat team, their customer support team has been top-notch on a number of tickets I've submitted over the years. However, if the reimbursement letter still reads the same, ZOS points out that they have no obligation to reimburse you and further imply that it is uncertain whether they will do it a second time. I haven't presumed upon their good will again.

...and yet many MMOs have successfully navigated these waters already. The two I mention above, for instance.

• yodased
    yodased
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ... Plus if they add a system themselves it will also hard lock the gold to crown ratio and I'd prefer that remained controlled by the player base demand and I'm sure ZOS agrees with that as well.

To protect yourself just take screenshots of the entire transaction and of ALL conversations...
    While GW2 has a secure exchange mechanism with a developer-set exchange rate, Eve Online uses a secure method that is player market driven. It is interesting, too, that game developers in the later case actually encourage scamming but still offer a secure method.

Taking screen shots etc... is good advice. It's been well over a year (two?) since I got a reimbursement from getting scammed on my main account, and screen shots of chat certainly helped. While I am highly critical of the ESO combat team, their customer support team has been top-notch on a number of tickets I've submitted over the years. However, if the reimbursement letter still reads the same, ZOS points out that they have no obligation to reimburse you and further imply that it is uncertain whether they will do it a second time. I haven't presumed upon their good will again.

...and yet many MMOs have successfully navigated these waters already. The two I mention above, for instance.

Didnt say it wasnt possible did i? Manage ypur expectations from this company and your life will be easier
    Tl;dr really weigh the fun you have in game vs the business practices you are supporting.
  • Goregrinder
    Goregrinder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Didnt say it wasnt possible did i? Manage ypur expectations from this company and your life will be easier

Yup exactly. People feel they are entitled for the world around them to meet their personal expectations on everything.
  • CassandraGemini
    CassandraGemini
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Source is Gina

Yes....they are at this current time, ok with it. But was it their "original" intention when they designed the system years ago? You say "yes", so link me some evidence of that.

@idk never said that. Only that ZoS is aware of the practice, that they allow it and that it is therefore meaningless to speculate about whether or not they expected this to happen. You are the only one who keeps bringing this up. Maybe you really should start reading other people's posts a little more carefully before making these unfounded claims.
    Edited by CassandraGemini on November 20, 2019 11:45PM
    This poor little Bosmer stealth passive had passionate friends and a big loving family!

• Goregrinder
    Goregrinder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Source is Gina

@idk never said that. Only that ZoS is aware of the practice, that they allow it and that it is therefore meaningless to speculate about whether or not they expected this to happen or not. You are the only one who keeps bringing this up. Maybe you really should start reading other people's posts a little more carefully before making these unfounded claims.

Yes, it is meaningless to speculate about all side of its, I 100% agree. If ZOS wants something in the game....it will get put in the game. If something still hasn't been added to the game, ZOS probably doesn't want it added to the game. To speculate on if's, ands, buts, why's, whens, wheres, whos, would definitely be meaningless.
  • CassandraGemini
    CassandraGemini
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Source is Gina

@idk never said that. Only that ZoS is aware of the practice, that they allow it and that it is therefore meaningless to speculate about whether or not they expected this to happen or not. You are the only one who keeps bringing this up. Maybe you really should start reading other people's posts a little more carefully before making these unfounded claims.

Yes, it is meaningless to speculate about all side of its, I 100% agree. If ZOS wants something in the game....it will get put in the game. If something still hasn't been added to the game, ZOS probably doesn't want it added to the game. To speculate on if's, ands, buts, why's, whens, wheres, whos, would definitely be meaningless.

You'd really do yourself a favor by not being so hypocritical. You wrote something almost exactly like this before and then contradicted yourself by being the one who brought the whole thing back up. And to keep demanding "sources" from other people while not providing anything resembling a "source" yourself doesn't exactly help your case either.
    This poor little Bosmer stealth passive had passionate friends and a big loving family!

• Juhasow
    Juhasow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

You also have no empirical evidence that they didnt originally intend to have players trade gold for crows. If you have you have pictures or tweets or video of the design team responsible for designing the crown gifting systems showing that they didnt originally planned to let players trade gold for crowns, please link them to me.

After all You were the one saying "I am pretty sure ZOS never intended for people to exchange Crowns for In game gold but noticed that people do it so they don't ban you for doing it, but also don't plan on facilitating it themselves" so please link anything that would make what You said even close to reliable.

At the end it goes down to are we thinking ZoS employees have ape level of IQ or not. Because only apes wouldnt figure out during months between the production and release of gifting that it can be used to trade gold for crown store items. In fact only apes wouldnt figure it out in first few minutes after thinking about it. Also it's no coincidence that soon after 1st crown exchange discords started to pop up ZoS's devs were there pretty fast to monitor situation and ban scammers and they were even faster with with official response saying it's allowed to trade crowns for gold. Initially account upgrades like additional character slot were non giftable so it also gives us an idea ZoS was perfectly aware it'll be traded for gold and they wanted to 1st check how far they can push it. Seriously are we going to pretend we're in kindergarten and say "since noone at ZoS never said officialy what was their intent with gifting we dont know what was their intent" ? It's obvious they wont say officially they wanted to make new monetization method to squeeze more money out of the whales because gifting is excatly that and thinking it was made for any other reason is simply being naive.
  • Goregrinder
    Goregrinder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Juhasow wrote: »

You also have no empirical evidence that they didnt originally intend to have players trade gold for crows. If you have you have pictures or tweets or video of the design team responsible for designing the crown gifting systems showing that they didnt originally planned to let players trade gold for crowns, please link them to me.

After all You were the one saying "I am pretty sure ZOS never intended for people to exchange Crowns for In game gold but noticed that people do it so they don't ban you for doing it, but also don't plan on facilitating it themselves" so please link anything that would make what You said even close to reliable.

At the end it goes down to are we thinking ZoS employees have ape level of IQ or not. Because only apes wouldnt figure out during months between the production and release of gifting that it can be used to trade gold for crown store items. In fact only apes wouldnt figure it out in first few minutes after thinking about it. Also it's no coincidence that soon after 1st crown exchange discords started to pop up ZoS's devs were there pretty fast to monitor situation and ban scammers and they were even faster with with official response saying it's allowed to trade crowns for gold. Initially account upgrades like additional character slot were non giftable so it also gives us an idea ZoS was perfectly aware it'll be traded for gold and they wanted to 1st check how far they can push it. Seriously are we going to pretend we're in kindergarten and say "since noone at ZoS never said officialy what was their intent with gifting we dont know what was their intent" ? It's obvious they wont say officially they wanted to make new monetization method to squeeze more money out of the whales because gifting is excatly that and thinking it was made for any other reason is simply being naive.

I am pretty sure I already stated that I have no evidence of how it "feels to me", just like OP has no evidence of "how it feels" to him. And as pointed out, speculating any of it even on a forum post is meaningless. If ZOS wants a feature in the game, I am pretty confident that they will add said feature.
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Source is Gina

You ask of others what you fail to provide yourself, link of evident. You are trying to make an argument when there is none. What Zos intended years ago is entirely irrelevant at this time.

The rest is petty and pointless. It really seems you just want to argue for the of arguing a baseless and pointless point. One that neither you nor anyone else can win. Have fun with that.
  • Goregrinder
    Goregrinder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Source is Gina

You ask of others what you fail to provide yourself, link of evident. You are trying to make an argument when there is none. What Zos intended years ago is entirely irrelevant at this time.

The rest is petty and pointless. It really seems you just want to argue for the of arguing a baseless and pointless point. One that neither you nor anyone else can win. Have fun with that.

So no evidence from both sides you say?
  • Emathides
    Emathides
    ✭✭✭
    Op, great thread and suggestion, agreed. Too bad it got derailed by trolling.
  • Mr_Walker
    Mr_Walker
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Source is Gina

Do you really think everyone involved in it is a simpleton?
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Source is Gina

I can say you have not provided any in this thread. That is a fact. You have provided your opinion and nothing more. That is also a fact.

Edit: I have held for awhile that both of us are merely providing our opinions as there we have no proof as to what Zos was thinking back then. It really matters little anyhow and I provided the only fact that matters in the discussion and proof to back it up. That is Zos's current stance.

I could really care less about what the pondered a couple years ago concerning gifting crowns. It is irrelevant and meaningless today.
    Edited by idk on November 21, 2019 3:32AM
  • Goregrinder
    Goregrinder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Source is Gina

I can say you have not provided any in this thread. That is a fact. You have provided your opinion and nothing more. That is also a fact.

Edit: I have held for awhile that both of us are merely providing our opinions as there we have no proof as to what Zos was thinking back then. It really matters little anyhow and I provided the only fact that matters in the discussion and proof to back it up. That is Zos's current stance.

I could really care less about what the pondered a couple years ago concerning gifting crowns. It is irrelevant and meaningless today.

None of us has, not even OP...which is the point. The original post is meaningless, which is another point. Even all the replies including mine.
  • Dusk_Coven
    Dusk_Coven
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I recommend they implement Crown Promissory Notes
    Dusk_Coven wrote: »
    Crown Promissory Notes in denominations of 100, 1000, and 10000 Crowns.
    -A Tradeable item that lets you redeem it for Crowns. This would replace gifting as the main (and insecure) way to "sell Crowns".
    -Not saleable to NPC vendors.
    -Redeemed by Destroying it -- so you can't "accidentally" destroy it, nor can you accidentally redeem it.
    -If you can't sell it, you can just redeem it yourself. Lossless.

• Tsar_Gekkou
    Tsar_Gekkou
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't see a downside to this. I'm not sure why some people would prefer people getting scammed instead of having a way to drastically minimize the risk.
    Xbox NA healer main
    vAA HM | vHRC HM | vSO HM | vMoL HM | vHoF HM | vAS+2 | vCR+3 | vBRP | vSS HM | vKA HM | vRG HM |
    Flawless Conqueror | Spirit Slayer | Dro-mA'thra Destroyer | Tick-Tock-Tormentor | Immortal Redeemer | Gryphon Heart | Godslayer | Dawnbringer | Planesbreaker |
  • Goregrinder
    Goregrinder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I don't see a downside to this. I'm not sure why some people would prefer people getting scammed instead of having a way to drastically minimize the risk.

Yeah I can't comment on which players would or wouldn't prefer this, only on if it looks like ZOS will officially support it or not.
  • Vudokan
    Vudokan
    ✭✭✭
    It's depressing how toxic a simple conversation on a legitimate issue can become here.
  • Goregrinder
    Goregrinder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Vudokan wrote: »
    It's depressing how toxic a simple conversation on a legitimate issue can become here.

I'm confused, this thread has actually been pretty tame...who was being "toxic"?
  • Delpi
    Delpi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please just make this happen. Provide a way to help people to sell crown tokens in guild stores. It would be so good... :)

The discord channels for the EU gold/crown exchange are a mess. When they are not closed due to high demand they are just silent with a lot of offers unattended.
    Edited by Delpi on December 15, 2019 11:18AM
    "I used to be an adventurer like you. Then I took an arrow in the knee..."