Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Should drop rate of furnishing mats be increased?

Zypheran
Zypheran
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭
Elsweyr chapter released some great structural items that were very much needed. Unfortunately, as with many things in ESO, when they finally gave us what we asked for, it came with the frustration of being very difficult to obtain. The plans were locked behind poor rng and even when we did get the plans, they all needed shimmering sand which again is locked behind gates.
When new dlc's and chapters come out next year, the availability of shimmering sand will decrease even more as people move on to farm the next item ZOS elect to put behind gates.
Now that these items have been out for 9months+, is it time to increase the drop rates on mats like Shimmering Sand and Culanda Lacquer??
To me it seems like ZOS really, really don't want us to engage in housing. This game system has enough limitations and costs without adding excessive and artificial scarcity to the mats required to build the items
All my housing builds are available on YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCf3oJ_cxuu01HmWZJZ6KK6g?view_as=subscriber
I am happy to share the EHT save files for most of my builds.

Should drop rate of furnishing mats be increased? 40 votes

Yes - I would like to see an increase in drop rate
85%
VeritasObscuraPinesyGalenSporvanAelorinWillhelmBlackixieZephiran23CloudtraderInaMoonlightAliasRedGarishPomsHallothielJHartEllisWhite wabbitZypherananadandykarthrag_inakTigerseye 34 votes
No - keep the drop rate as is
15%
Nebthet78CaffeinatedMayhemShadow_AkulaPuzzlenutsSpearpointmateosalvaje 6 votes
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are only one of the special style mats (not the ten you can buy for 15g each) ever required per furnishing? Assuming that is the case, I am okay with the drop rate as it is now, or raised a bit, but not so much as to be worthless to those not into housing. At least there are guaranteed ways to get these mats and only one is needed per furnishing, unless I’m mistaken. Drop rates on heartwood, mundane rune stones, decorative wax and others are far more limiting as multiples are required for many different furnishings. From the time I started the game, I loot everything, but it is so easy to use these up.

One potential concern though is whether there are still guaranteed sources of shimmering sand: I think the Northern Elsweyr dailies have been giving Pellitine style materials for some time now. 🤔

So, based on what I have seen, my vote would be “Maybe” or “Yes, increase drop rate a bit for ALL furnishing materials.”
    Edited by Araneae6537 on November 26, 2019 4:40PM
  • anadandy
    anadandy
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yes, I have always been against creating an artificial rarity of the furnishing mats by gating them behind daily quests - that in theory you can only do once a day for a grand total of 2-3, unless you grind multiple characters and/or group up via zone to share quests. And as said, once the "new" wears off those zones - that gets harder and harder to do.

Edited by anadandy on November 26, 2019 4:59PM
  • Hymzir
    Hymzir
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What? And disincentivize people from getting their furnishings from the Clown Store? That'll be the day...

Seriously though, I'd much rather they slashed the mat costs to about 25% of what they are now. Getting the special style mats for Summerset or Elsweyr stuff is not that hard, and you don't need dozens of them for a single piece, so I have no issue with their drop rates.

But the other crap requires constant farming or spending lots of time cruising guild store stalls looking for affordable crafting mats. The grind associated with craftign furnishing really robs enjoyment out of fiddlign with housing in general.

Also a general audit on requirements would be in order. Mundane Runes (usually in excessive amounts) pop up in way too many plans and in stuff they logically have no business being a requirement for.
  • CaffeinatedMayhem
    CaffeinatedMayhem
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    No - keep the drop rate as is
    So, if people actually harvested enchanting runes, the price of Mundanes would drop.

Farm tomb urns more, easy way to get decorative wax.

Otherwise, furnishing mats are dirt cheap.

If you mean STYLE mats... I sell shimmering sand everytime I get more than 200 in my bag. If you have Elsweyr, you have TONS of the stuff. Hackwing plumage should drop from HACKWINGS, because I never get it in daily continers from Murkmire.

I think ZOS learned from Summerset that if they want to use a style mat for furnishings there needs to be *at least* one armor set in that style, so people can get it easily.
    Edited by CaffeinatedMayhem on November 26, 2019 5:30PM
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No offense but people will generally vote yes that they want something to be easier for them to obtain. That does not mean it should become easier or more prevalent.
  • SickleCider
    SickleCider
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I feel like the Dragonguard event is going to happen like this: no one's going to be grinding the dungeons, it's going to be all the furnishing crafters going REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE on dragons and world bosses. Three or four people with strong PVE builds, the rest of the dozens are toons named like Melvin or Todd or something, banging at the dragons' ankles with little sticks and rocks. It's going to be beautiful in its own way.

But yes, please increase drop chance from decon, I'm so thirsty.
    ✨🐦✨ Blackfeather Court Commission ✨🐦✨
  • JHartEllis
    JHartEllis
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I much prefer the Clockwork model of only requiring 1 style material regardless of rarity. It allows the materials to better go to where they are most wanted.

Summerset, Murkmire, and Elsweyr plans would benefit from only requiring 1 of their respective style materials for epic (purple) furnishings instead of the current 2.

And anything that would generate more Mundane Runes and Decorative Wax would be helpful. Getting a satchel of mats with a home purchase would be a good bundle bonus and would get people thinking of how they want to furnish their homes.
    Guild leader of Spicy Economics and Spicy Life on PC/NA
    ESO Stream Team Partner on Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/jhartellis
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/JHartEllis
    YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/JHartEllis
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, if people actually harvested enchanting runes, the price of Mundanes would drop.

If you mean STYLE mats... I sell shimmering sand everytime I get more than 200 in my bag. If you have Elsweyr, you have TONS of the stuff. Hackwing plumage should drop from HACKWINGS, because I never get it in daily continers from Murkmire.

I think ZOS learned from Summerset that if they want to use a style mat for furnishings there needs to be *at least* one armor set in that style, so people can get it easily.

I harvest and loot E V E R Y T H I N G
    *except in group events, including dungeons, and that is painful, lol, and even then I will grab as much as I can along the way and go back for what I had to pass up in the time left before kick. :lol:

Point is, you only get one decorative wax or mundane rune stone at a time, when you get any at all, and there are MANY furnishing recipes that require them in quantity, even things that seem like they should be cheap to make, like a simple apple.

I think these BASIC materials should be more plentiful, closer to those for armor, etc (with sooo many sources of the basic mats, you never have to buy these at all). A single style piece or so that may be more expensive, especially in more elaborate furnishings, seems appropriate to me.
  • anadandy
    anadandy
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Yes, I meant style mats. If the drops from deconstructing gear was guaranteed, then I wouldn't have as much of a problem - it seems like for every four items I decon I get one mat, though that's probably my crap RNG. I wouldn't consider that getting it "easily" - it's still too much of a bad ROI.

I also loot every node I come across, I even have a special node looting gear set I call my track suit. :)
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Decorative Wax is the main one we need more of.

If you do your dailies on most days and collect from enchanting nodes, you can get a fairly decent supply of the other stuff, but the supply of decorative wax is really low and unreliable, unless you spend hours stealing, every single day.
    Edited by Tigerseye on November 26, 2019 7:30PM
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    ErinM31 wrote: »

*except in group events, including dungeons, and that is painful, lol, and even then I will grab as much as I can along the way and go back for what I had to pass up in the time left before kick. :lol:

Point is, you only get one decorative wax or mundane rune stone at a time, when you get any at all, and there are MANY furnishing recipes that require them in quantity, even things that seem like they should be cheap to make, like a simple apple.

I think these BASIC materials should be more plentiful, closer to those for armor, etc (with sooo many sources of the basic mats, you never have to buy these at all). A single style piece or so that may be more expensive, especially in more elaborate furnishings, seems appropriate to me.

You can sometimes/rarely get multiple Mundane Runes (up to 4, I think?), but you never get more than 1 Decorative Wax at a time.

But, I totally agree, in general.
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »
    No offense but people will generally vote yes that they want something to be easier for them to obtain. That does not mean it should become easier or more prevalent.

Decorative Wax is a nightmare, end of.

I spent hours, for a few weeks, stealing from containers (another good way to get Decorative Wax) before embarking on furnishing my Snowglobe Home.

I still ran out of them twice and had to spend at least a couple of hundred thousand gold buying more.

That is a lot for one furnishing mat, especially when I started out with a lot, to begin with.

They need to either up the drops, or reduce the requirements.
    Edited by Tigerseye on November 26, 2019 7:42PM
  • Araneae6537
    Araneae6537
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    anadandy wrote: »

Yes, I meant style mats. If the drops from deconstructing gear was guaranteed, then I wouldn't have as much of a problem - it seems like for every four items I decon I get one mat, though that's probably my crap RNG. I wouldn't consider that getting it "easily" - it's still too much of a bad ROI.

I also loot every node I come across, I even have a special node looting gear set I call my track suit. :)

I think that style mats are almost guaranteed if your max level crafting and decon (extraction). If not guaranteed, you’ll get them far more often at least, in my experience. :)
    Tigerseye wrote: »

You can sometimes/rarely get multiple Mundane Runes (up to 4, I think?), but you never get more than 1 Decorative Wax at a time.

Oh! Good to know, thank you! I don’t recall collecting more than one mundane rune stone at once, even with max enchant and extract, nor from survey nodes, but it is entirely possible that I missed it or have simply been unlucky in this regard. Thank you for the info! :)
  • Tigerseye
    Tigerseye
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    anadandy wrote: »

I think that style mats are almost guaranteed if your max level crafting and decon (extraction). If not guaranteed, you’ll get them far more often at least, in my experience. :)
    Tigerseye wrote: »

Oh! Good to know, thank you! I don’t recall collecting more than one mundane rune stone at once, even with max enchant and extract, nor from survey nodes, but it is entirely possible that I missed it or have simply been unlucky in this regard. Thank you for the info! :)

No problem. :smile:
  • Zypheran
    Zypheran
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    idk wrote: »

It's not just that we want things easier to obtain. It's about balance and currently the grind and the barriers are too much and the overwhelming feedback I'm getting from the vast majority of housing enthusiasts I speak with on a daily basis is that the current extreme is turning people off housing.
    This isn't about making it easy, it's about making it not an ordeal
    All my housing builds are available on YouTube
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCf3oJ_cxuu01HmWZJZ6KK6g?view_as=subscriber
    I am happy to share the EHT save files for most of my builds.
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Doing several hundreds of Summerset dailies to be able to craft furnishings and fill the Psijic Villa in Alinor style is just crazy.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• sueblue
    sueblue
    ✭✭✭✭
    I farm a lot and I never have enough runes or wax. I end up searching TTC for premade furniture instead of crafting things.
    Awake/Asleep, I dream.