The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 22, 4:00AM EDT (08:00 UTC) - 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC)
• Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – April 24, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Detection potion - Let us die for our mistakes

• GoodFella146
    GoodFella146
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So they are allowed to hit me when I don't know it's coming but if they get hit when they don't know it's coming it's now an issue? Hilarious.
  • Lybal
    Lybal
    ✭✭✭
    Liam12548 wrote: »
    Cloak is the most broken, noob enabling skill in the game. No other defensive mechanic negates 100% of damage taken. No other ability allows you to pick and choose exactly when you would like to engage and disengage. No other ability allows you to complete negate your opponent's ability to track you in an engagement.

This skill alone has saved more noobs from me than every defensive ult, burst heal, gap closer, or damage shield combined. It is actually disgusting to see the constant complaints here on the forums about how "cloak has too many counters" or "detect pots need to be nerfed". It just shows how little experience the OP's have playing other classes and surviving without a "you don't get to target me now" button.

Spare me your answers about my little experience or whatever, for information I played during months with Dark Cloak, and if it comes to my skill or whatever I'm sure a lot of people from no-cp EU / Battlegrounds can talk for me.

I agree Cloak is a very strong ability and can be frustrating to play against, however I'd like the thread to remain about detect pot, again if you disagree with the change because it buff Nbs / lower the impact of counters for Cloak, consider that it can comes with buffs for those counters, as I told I'd be totally fine with that, it is necessary to get those and for them to be efficient, and I agree for some they could be more efficient.

However, even if I'm totally fine with counters for Cloak, I also think that the Nb should be able to react to them by taking good decisions.
    There shouldn’t be any indicator that you’re being spotted at all while you’re cloaking , the same way someone doesn’t know you’re cloaking or where you’re at during a cloak.

Adding a detect indicator was a perplexing change.

When you use Cloak, the opponent got information, he can know where you cloak, he can try to guess where you are and break it, he can know if you play a melee or a range build and if it's melee he can know if you got a gapcloser and if you don't have any your movements to go offensive are limited, he can take distance, he can prepare himself and use some defensives gcd and / or block.
    Ofc he doesn't know everything and can't react perfectly, Cloak would not be worth slotting if that was the case, but at least he can react in some way and try do deal with it.

For all people that just wants to complain about Nb or Cloak, it's not the right thread, you can make your own or whatever but this one is just about getting an indicator, and you can argue about a buff in compensation for detect pots / other counters, but it is not about Cloak or Nbs.
    Edited by Lybal on November 6, 2019 10:32AM
    Out of this game, tired of horrible performance and a lot of changes.
  • Qbiken
    Qbiken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree, should be some kind of indicator that your enemy is using a detection potion. At least the eye should be visable both enemies and allies.
  • Nerftheforums
    Nerftheforums
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    You are cloacked and you get hit by a single target attack? Assume it's detect pots. It's that easy, just learn how to counter them. Place a shade somewhere, run in the opposite direction until the shade's range limit, shade back. Now you can cloak.
  • Lybal
    Lybal
    ✭✭✭
    You are cloacked and you get hit by a single target attack? Assume it's detect pots. It's that easy, just learn how to counter them. Place a shade somewhere, run in the opposite direction until the shade's range limit, shade back. Now you can cloak.

If that was that easy I wouldn't complain.

I might be biased a lot more than most Nbs on this point due to the fact that I'm the kind of Nb that 1vX a lot and go in the middle of large fights between both enemies factions everytime I can, and detects pots are more difficult to deal with the more enemies you got on you :
    - When there's a lot of people on you, it can be very difficult to know if that was a Breath max range, the first jab tic that hit you through a wall or when you were up in a building and he was down, because you had 2 curse on you time almost at the same moment and you timed your Cloak on the first one, these situations aren't common I admit it, but they exist and they're very frustrating.
    - A player can break Cloak with an AOE like Jabs even if he used a detect pot, and you would only think he guessed well your position
    - A detect pot will always makes you waste at least 1 gcd, and if in most context that just put you on the defensive for at least few seconds, in other context a single / few wrong gcd can kill you and that is very frustrating to die this way without any form of counterplay.
    - Assume you were hit by a detec pot even if it wasn't the case will make you play too safe when you could have play it aggressive, and will most likely lead to few opportunities miss for a good and aware player.

Also, not all builds run Shade, it's true it's an efficient way to deal with it but not everyone wants to take a slot and invest in magicka sustain for it.

And even if you can somehow counter it by playing very safe, retain players that use it, use shade and other stuff, does it mean that an indicator is not necessary or welcome ? Again, I think that should be basic that every mechanic got an indicator, at least a sound or a debuff icon.
    Edited by Lybal on November 6, 2019 12:42PM
  • Sanguinor2
    Sanguinor2
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Lybal wrote: »
    There shouldn’t be any indicator that you’re being spotted at all while you’re cloaking , the same way someone doesn’t know you’re cloaking or where you’re at during a cloak.

When you use Cloak, the opponent got information, he can know where you cloak, he can try to guess where you are and break it, he can know if you play a melee or a range build and if it's melee he can know if you got a gapcloser and if you don't have any your movements to go offensive are limited, he can take distance, he can prepare himself and use some defensives gcd and / or block.
    Ofc he doesn't know everything and can't react perfectly, Cloak would not be worth slotting if that was the case, but at least he can react in some way and try do deal with it.

You said it, the one playing against cloak doesnt have all Information.
    So why should the one playing cloak get all Information?

If you see someone using for example an immov pot you know there wont be a detect pot coming anytime soon, if you see someone not chasing you at all if you cloak in a nonobvious pattern you can be reasonably sure that he does not have a detect pot up, if on the other Hand he is Always chasing you perfectly or Shooting stuff at you or is using a gap Closer on you you can be rather sure that he does have a detect pot running.

Politeness is respecting others.
    Courage is doing what is fair.
    Modesty is speaking of oneself without vanity.
    Self control is keeping calm even when anger rises.
    Sincerity is expressing oneself without concealing ones thoughts.
    Honor is keeping ones word.
  • Cerotonin
    Cerotonin
    ✭✭✭
    It becomes pretty obvious that I’ve been detected. Being hit by a direct damage attack while in cloak is more than enough for me to go to full yolocopter on the person attacking me.
  • Lybal
    Lybal
    ✭✭✭
    Sanguinor2 wrote: »

You said it, the one playing against cloak doesnt have all Information.
    So why should the one playing cloak get all Information?

If you see someone using for example an immov pot you know there wont be a detect pot coming anytime soon, if you see someone not chasing you at all if you cloak in a nonobvious pattern you can be reasonably sure that he does not have a detect pot up, if on the other Hand he is Always chasing you perfectly or Shooting stuff at you or is using a gap Closer on you you can be rather sure that he does have a detect pot running.

You can make an indicator that doesn't give you all information, you can make a debuff, a sound, a Circle for range, a visual effect like the eye, all of these are differents indicators more or less obvious, and they give different information, more or less useful, the only information in common is that you know for sure someone used a detect pot.
    If there's only the eye, I can't know the range, or the time left on his pot, I just know who used it and when it's up, it's not all the information.

Not a single time I asked for an indicator that would give me all information, Rahar suggested AOE circle with Eye for consistency and game design reasons, but me, I just ask for 1 indicator, I'd be fine with just a debuff icon.

Also, there's a pot with Immovable and Detection, I use it myself since detect pots options for stam players are not that great.
    Edited by Lybal on November 6, 2019 2:02PM
  • jadarock
    jadarock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rahar wrote: »
    Cloak is the most broken, noob enabling skill in the game. No other defensive mechanic negates 100% of damage taken. No other ability allows you to pick and choose exactly when you would like to engage and disengage. No other ability allows you to complete negate your opponent's ability to track you in an engagement.

This skill alone has saved more noobs from me than every defensive ult, burst heal, gap closer, or damage shield combined. It is actually disgusting to see the constant complaints here on the forums about how "cloak has too many counters" or "detect pots need to be nerfed". It just shows how little experience the OP's have playing other classes and surviving without a "you don't get to target me now" button.

Obligatory meme comment "git gud", "l2p", etc.

This thread isn't about cloak. It's not even about nerfing detect pots. It's about making them show an indicator above a user's head when used.

So you're telling me that getting targeted with single target/direct damage abilities isn't enough of an indicator that you've been detect potted? Are the majority of nightblade mains really so clueless that they just have no idea what is going on when their "you don't get to target me" button stops working?

I know you are a good player but you sound salty....
    You are smart enough to realize if we get targeted we melt....
    There are counters to everything in game but no sign you are being detected so wtf is my counter to pots I dont know are even up?? Cant cloak=death. Not everyone is running a brawler or wears troll king vigor rally build.

I look at it like some how it's not ok for wings to shut down playstyles but popping a detect pot vs a nb and shutting down that whole style is ok!??
    Im trying to figure out this logic?
  • arkansas_ESO
    arkansas_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1.) 90% of people in this thread have an IQ that resembles a football score.
    2.) If I recall correctly, this used to be a thing: if somebody used a detection pot near you while you were in cloak, the "eye" in the center of your screen opened back up to indicate you were revealed. Why was this indicator ever removed to begin with?

Grand Overlord 25/8/17
  • Jaraal
    Jaraal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    1.) 90% of people in this thread have an IQ that resembles a football score.
    2.) If I recall correctly, this used to be a thing: if somebody used a detection pot near you while you were in cloak, the "eye" in the center of your screen opened back up to indicate you were revealed. Why was this indicator ever removed to begin with?

The "eye" mechanism only works when crouched.
    RIP Bosmer Nation. 4/4/14 - 2/25/19.
  • deepseamk20b14_ESO
    deepseamk20b14_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    jadarock wrote: »
    Not everyone is running a brawler or wears troll king vigor rally build.

People will hate tell you if you use troll king. Actually, people will hate tell you with some excuse no matter what, if they died to you.
    Hey everyone! Look! It's a signature!
  • brandonv516
    brandonv516
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

The salt tastes good.
  • Raudgrani
    Raudgrani
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    There are "cloakblades", and there are "rollerblades".

Example Xbox EU:

Someone was flagging Bruma for a looong time. I went there. Single famous DC snipestacker present. Cloaking and tickling me with his Snipe/Poison Inject/Silver Leash/Ballista efforts. As soon as I chased him from one flag, he went to the next and so on. Status Quo.
    Didn't have any detect pots, and couldn't slot magelight because the dolmen had gone off and I was in constant battle. Eventually I did sneak up on him on a flag, fired off Colossus and used vampire drain right afterwards. Dead cloakblade.

This is the type of NB that can't play for sh*t without cloak. One detect pot, and he is goners. Every time. Literally.

Than we have the "rollerblades". These are usually the better ones. Mostly using cloak prior to offensive skills, not to "mysteriously disappear" all the time just to survive. The few good stamblades still around - actually not relying 100% on cloak - seems to be few now.
  • jadarock
    jadarock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Raudgrani wrote: »

Example Xbox EU:

Someone was flagging Bruma for a looong time. I went there. Single famous DC snipestacker present. Cloaking and tickling me with his Snipe/Poison Inject/Silver Leash/Ballista efforts. As soon as I chased him from one flag, he went to the next and so on. Status Quo.
    Didn't have any detect pots, and couldn't slot magelight because the dolmen had gone off and I was in constant battle. Eventually I did sneak up on him on a flag, fired off Colossus and used vampire drain right afterwards. Dead cloakblade.

This is the type of NB that can't play for sh*t without cloak. One detect pot, and he is goners. Every time. Literally.

Than we have the "rollerblades". These are usually the better ones. Mostly using cloak prior to offensive skills, not to "mysteriously disappear" all the time just to survive. The few good stamblades still around - actually not relying 100% on cloak - seems to be few now.

I have five chars four are mag. The one stam toon I have is a cloak blade full glass build not set up to play rolly polly games.
    The topic is detect pots and counter play to them not what styles of gameplay you do or do not approve of
  • Rahar
    Rahar
    ✭✭✭✭

This thread isn't about cloak. It's not even about nerfing detect pots. It's about making them show an indicator above a user's head when used.

So you're telling me that getting targeted with single target/direct damage abilities isn't enough of an indicator that you've been detect potted? Are the majority of nightblade mains really so clueless that they just have no idea what is going on when their "you don't get to target me" button stops working?

This isn't relevant because by the time you're hit with a single target ability, you've paid the cost of the other person using the detect pot. There should be an indicator that you've used something before nightblades get hit by the consequences of not taking steps to mitigate it, just like every other ability in the game.

This is like saying that big moves in fighting games should hit immediately and have a windup later: "Well you should be able to know the next one's coming, IDIOT!". That's putting the cart before the horse.
    NeRf MaGsOrC
  • Kadoin
    Kadoin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I
    - In duel, even when you know the guy use a detect pot, you can't know when the pot is still up after he used it, you have to guess it, same for the cooldown of the pot, leading to few wasted GCD when he uses it that can easily put me on the defensive for a moment.

Hmm sounds just like a certain skill with no cooldown...I can't put my finger on it...
  • jadarock
    jadarock
    ✭✭✭✭✭

This isn't relevant because by the time you're hit with a single target ability, you've paid the cost of the other person using the detect pot. There should be an indicator that you've used something before nightblades get hit by the consequences of not taking steps to mitigate it, just like every other ability in the game.

This is like saying that big moves in fighting games should hit immediately and have a windup later: "Well you should be able to know the next one's coming, IDIOT!". That's putting the cart before the horse.

Exactly and Liam knows it. He just wants to bulldoze everyone in front of his premade
    (Which I've seen in bgs by the way) which also earned him some bags after he separated from group and I sniped him 😂
  • Kadoin
    Kadoin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Exactly and Liam knows it. He just wants to bulldoze everyone in front of his premade
    (Which I've seen in bgs by the way) which also earned him some bags after he separated from group and I sniped him 😂

E X P 0 S E D
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭

Example Xbox EU:

You forgot the 3rd: the cloak speedblades. The don't hit very hard but can gank the hell out of the AFK noob in divines. If they get in trouble -- i.e. someone(s) helps the noob, they are so ridiculously fast you aren't catching them as they make their escape.

It would be impressive if they could reliably gank the aware and experienced.
    Edited by NBrookus on November 7, 2019 5:47PM
  • jadarock
    jadarock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kadoin wrote: »

E X P 0 S E D

Not everyone wants to play tanky and ball up with heals all day every day..
    Come find me in the diil and you can catch them bags too bruh..

Edited by jadarock on November 7, 2019 4:34PM
  • jadarock
    jadarock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    NBrookus wrote: »

Example Xbox EU:

You forgot the 3rd: the clock speedblades. The don't hit very hard but can gank the hell out of the AFK noob in divines. If they get in trouble -- i.e. someone(s) helps the noob, they are so ridiculously fast you aren't catching them as they make their escape.

It would be impressive if they could reliably gank the aware and experienced.

If zos were to tone down heals alot these LEET players would be dying to said gankers.
    If I had a penny for everyone I've had down to 200 hp that instantly healed to full health I could quit my job
    Edited by jadarock on November 7, 2019 5:16PM
  • Nerftheforums
    Nerftheforums
    ✭✭✭✭✭

I might be biased a lot more than most Nbs on this point due to the fact that I'm the kind of Nb that 1vX a lot and go in the middle of large fights between both enemies factions everytime I can, and detects pots are more difficult to deal with the more enemies you got on you :
    - When there's a lot of people on you, it can be very difficult to know if that was a Breath max range, the first jab tic that hit you through a wall or when you were up in a building and he was down, because you had 2 curse on you time almost at the same moment and you timed your Cloak on the first one, these situations aren't common I admit it, but they exist and they're very frustrating.
    - A player can break Cloak with an AOE like Jabs even if he used a detect pot, and you would only think he guessed well your position
    - A detect pot will always makes you waste at least 1 gcd, and if in most context that just put you on the defensive for at least few seconds, in other context a single / few wrong gcd can kill you and that is very frustrating to die this way without any form of counterplay.
    - Assume you were hit by a detec pot even if it wasn't the case will make you play too safe when you could have play it aggressive, and will most likely lead to few opportunities miss for a good and aware player.

Also, not all builds run Shade, it's true it's an efficient way to deal with it but not everyone wants to take a slot and invest in magicka sustain for it.

And even if you can somehow counter it by playing very safe, retain players that use it, use shade and other stuff, does it mean that an indicator is not necessary or welcome ? Again, I think that should be basic that every mechanic got an indicator, at least a sound or a debuff icon.

This made me lol, thanks.
  • Rahar
    Rahar
    ✭✭✭✭

This made me lol, thanks.

What kind of value did you think you were adding with this post
    NeRf MaGsOrC
  • jadarock
    jadarock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    So they are allowed to hit me when I don't know it's coming but if they get hit when they don't know it's coming it's now an issue? Hilarious.

You mean a playstyle that was inherently built into the class design??? Who would have ever thought an assassin would try to kill you out of nowhere when your guard is down...

Again what is the counter to a detect pot that we dont know are up? Are we just supposed to run away from every fight or just give the enemy free ap every one of these encounters?..
  • Sahidom
    Sahidom
    ✭✭✭✭
    Qbiken wrote: »
    I agree, should be some kind of indicator that your enemy is using a detection potion. At least the eye should be visable both enemies and allies.

I believe the target "eye" cursor changes when you're detected; but it does not display "detected" text, or otherwise. I could be wrong but I believe it works similar to when another player's detection/perception comes close while sneaking/stealth. This will need to be tested to confirm the non-verbal cue to the player; If confirmed, then the sneaking player will have to be alert to the icon change than a visual graphic "you've been spotted" notice.

Under this presumption, detection potions are the one non-telegraphed means to turn the tables on sneaking players. This is an appropriate case scenario example when the sneaking character shouldn't overly rely on cloak. A clear risk versus reward scenario where the opponent or assailant uses detection potions to prevent an combat scenario from resetting easily. Or, to counter Nightblade cloaking before they execute their critical hit combo from stealth or invisibility.

I've had those uncommon encounters to surprise a Nightblade that's powered up their combo, only to be pulled out of stealth prematurely with an aggressive assault unexpectedly. It's an uncommon situation but it's a more common approach when you know you're facing off with a cloaking Nightblade, it's a fair turn the tables on who gets ambushed with detection potions. So I don't really see the problem on how they work currently.

• snipezor
    snipezor
    ✭✭✭
    Any indicator would be nice, but I think I'd like to see the big circle of blueish light around an enemy, similar to guards/NPCs with lanterns in pve.