The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• [COMPLETE] PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Can we get a toggle for skill transparency?

KingShocker
KingShocker
✭✭✭
I've been saying (since beta) that all these translucent skills (i.e. hurricane, dragons blood, etc.) just look cheap. But it seems like Zos is set on these whack vfx so I just ask for a toggle in the options window to turn off the translucency like the saddlebags on the mounts or hide helm.

My reasons:
1. like they said, these skills look cheap and lazy as far as vfx go.
2. what's the rationalization of these skills? why can I see through my sorc? is he made up of pure energy/wind now? if that's the case the skill is far weaker than the vfx implies.
3. I want to see my gear. I, like many other players, spend a lot of time on customizing my appearance and as soon as I'm in combat I become a ghostly silhouette.
4. most of these skills have long durations and require 100% uptime to maintain the valuable buffs they give.
5. A toggle would only change what you saw and to everyone else, the skill would appear the same. For those who like the nonsensical visuals.

There's only one exception that actually makes sense to me and that is cloak and not the healing morph. the rest just look like cut and paste vfx's from cloak because you couldn't think of anything better. Cloak you actually turn invisible so it makes sense that there would be a shadowy outline for you and your allies to see. It also only lasts a few seconds.

Also, I get a bug sometimes when my hurricane doesn't make my character transparent but I still get all the other winds and glowy vfx and I got to say it looks awesome. I don't know why you don't just let the other visuals of the skill stand on their own.

The heart on dragons blood looks cool and it kinda makes sense how your flesh could become transparent but not your armor. Maybe have the transparency fade further away from your character's chest.

I'm also not a fan of the transparent summoned weapon skills (i.e. jabs, concealed-weapon, scythe). It would be cool if these skills had a texture and a higher polycount model but maybe that's asking too much. Don't want to melt the servers.

To everyone who reads this: thanks for your time :smiley:

If anyone else has any thoughts on the matter I look forward to hearing them.

• UntilValhalla13
    UntilValhalla13
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I always liked the looks of the transparent effects, myself.
  • TheNightflame
    TheNightflame
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    for dragon blood it makes sense cuz it lets your teammates know that their healing will be increased

with the sorc skills, it is a little extra...
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    We should not be able to toggle the effects of things like hurricane as it telegraphs an AoE. Yes, I know the reply is that Zos can just make it so I can toggle friendly hurricane graphics. However, it should be obvious that is not an easy task and it would likely lead to real problems that affect everyone vs just the few who do not like the animations for these skills.

As such, and being this is not a real issue, these should be left alone.
  • KingShocker
    KingShocker
    ✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »
    We should not be able to toggle the effects of things like hurricane as it telegraphs an AoE. Yes, I know the reply is that Zos can just make it so I can toggle friendly hurricane graphics. However, it should be obvious that is not an easy task and it would likely lead to real problems that affect everyone vs just the few who do not like the animations for these skills.

As such, and being this is not a real issue, these should be left alone.

Just the transparency of the effect. obviously, the rest of the visuals like the aoe and wind, etc. would remain. and other players would see it as the same as normal.

edit: also the transparency makes it hard to see other effects on characters like off-balance etc. especially when there's a lot going on in pvp and dungeons and whatnot. I say this because I started using heavy attack/off-balance stun combos in pvp and it's always hardest to see the off-balance on sorcs. I still see it but it's not nearly as obvious as it is on other characters that don't have/use that skill).
    Edited by KingShocker on November 2, 2019 2:20AM
  • Luckylancer
    Luckylancer
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What OP want in summary: "I want to see my chracter, others can see whatever they want, I dont care"

Forumers: "but but but your allies must see healing taken effect", "but BUT bUt enemy must see you have this aoe on", "it will be hard to do" (I bet he knows nothing about code stuff).
    :(

I support what OP want. It should not be hard, i was easy af to do in DotA2. Your pc loads diffrent visual effect and that is all. This toggle will make many DKs and sorcs happy.
  • Grianasteri
    Grianasteri
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been saying (since beta) that all these translucent skills (i.e. hurricane, dragons blood, etc.) just look cheap. But it seems like Zos is set on these whack vfx so I just ask for a toggle in the options window to turn off the translucency like the saddlebags on the mounts or hide helm.

My reasons:
    1. like they said, these skills look cheap and lazy as far as vfx go.
    2. what's the rationalization of these skills? why can I see through my sorc? is he made up of pure energy/wind now? if that's the case the skill is far weaker than the vfx implies.
    3. I want to see my gear. I, like many other players, spend a lot of time on customizing my appearance and as soon as I'm in combat I become a ghostly silhouette.
    4. most of these skills have long durations and require 100% uptime to maintain the valuable buffs they give.
    5. A toggle would only change what you saw and to everyone else, the skill would appear the same. For those who like the nonsensical visuals.

There's only one exception that actually makes sense to me and that is cloak and not the healing morph. the rest just look like cut and paste vfx's from cloak because you couldn't think of anything better. Cloak you actually turn invisible so it makes sense that there would be a shadowy outline for you and your allies to see. It also only lasts a few seconds.

Also, I get a bug sometimes when my hurricane doesn't make my character transparent but I still get all the other winds and glowy vfx and I got to say it looks awesome. I don't know why you don't just let the other visuals of the skill stand on their own.

The heart on dragons blood looks cool and it kinda makes sense how your flesh could become transparent but not your armor. Maybe have the transparency fade further away from your character's chest.

I'm also not a fan of the transparent summoned weapon skills (i.e. jabs, concealed-weapon, scythe). It would be cool if these skills had a texture and a higher polycount model but maybe that's asking too much. Don't want to melt the servers.

To everyone who reads this: thanks for your time :smiley:

If anyone else has any thoughts on the matter I look forward to hearing them.

I have to agree with the OP. I spend a lot of time creating my characters look. It has been a source of annoyance since forever that any time I am in combat, so often a skill will drastically alter how my character looks. I do wish Zos would move away from such a visual alteration, its simply not necessary.

• Davadin
    Davadin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    i love my dragon spikes from DK's Volatile Armor.

just throwing it out there.
    August Palatine Davadin Bloodstrake - Nord Dragon Knight - PC NA - Gray Host
    Greymoor 6.0.7 PvP : Medium 2H/SnB The Destroyer
    Dragonhold 5.2.11 PvE : Medium DW/2H The Blood Furnace
    March 2021 (too lazy to add CP) PvP: Medium DW/Bow The Stabber
  • ketsparrowhawk
    ketsparrowhawk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wish that lightning form didn't make you translucent. I put a lot of effort into making my character look a certain way, but I rarely get to see them during combat.