Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

A question about RP "builds"

Grianasteri
Grianasteri
✭✭✭✭✭
Hi,

I do not really RP, beyond the creative thinking behind my builds, I do think carefully about the name and there is meaning behind every one of my 15 characters names (the majority of which are off meta, themed/fun builds), I think carefully about their look, which is closely linked to the theme of the build. I do imagine for my own pleasure, about the nature of the character, but all are to a greater or lesser extent, extensions of myself in this respect.

With that said, I have always been intrigued by RP and the community... what I wonder is how do RP players actually approach the build of their characters? Are you using meta builds? Do you even care about the build? Do the skills and passives you choose matter to you or the RP community? Do the sets matter to you beyond the aesthetics? Do your RP characters also have to be viable in game for content, or does that not matter? etc.

Thanks in advance.
  • Rykoth
    Rykoth
    ✭✭✭✭
    Most roleplayers divorce game mechanics from RP... contrary to incorrect popular belief, many of us actually play the game and don't RP 100 percent of the time. (Not everyone is the Vestige doing all the things.) So it really varies RPer by RPer.
    Gorthal gro-Gunthak, Chieftain of Mor'Grumaar
    Sigrun Elkhorn, Nordic Warrior and Skald

Mor'Grumaar - Orcish Stronghold Roleplay
  • OolongSnakeTea
    OolongSnakeTea
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yeah I'm kinda the same, I seperate my PVE/PVP from my character totally if I am doing hard-core deep RP with other people.

However, sometimes I do like a skyrim-style Rp where I made a build- I actually made a 'roleplay build generator' as well!

(generator is pinned on my twitter) - https://twitter.com/soundsnotstr8
    Edited by OolongSnakeTea on November 3, 2019 7:54PM
    "I try to create sympathy for my characters, then turn the monsters loose."– Stephen King

• x48rph
    x48rph
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sometimes I tried to make my class/build fit with the character. Like if RP wise my char is a mage, then they get a magicka build of whatever class is closest to what I picture for them RP wise. Or in other cases, like when necromancer came out. I came up with a chararcter concept for a necromancer. As far as actual sets and stuff go, I use whatever is best. Since we have the outfit system, I can make them look the way they should for the most part regardless of actual gear.
  • Starlock
    Starlock
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Remembering that “meta” actually stands for “most effective tactic available” the term means using what best fits your character when developing an actual character (aka RP) is the main priority. Unlike the competitive gamer meta, the RP meta rarely if ever changes due to patches. At most, a new style, mount, pet, or set is introduced that fits the character better so you switch to it instead. Rarely are changes to skills substantial enough to require unslotting them due to them no longer being meta for that character. In fact, Following the RP meta for your characters is actually a great deal MORE restrictive than competitive gaming metas in most respects. If something does change, you can’t just replace it willy nilly with anything... it has to fit the character still. For example, one of my characters lost his main stun for no good reason and there is nothing he can use to get that functionality back. It’s just gone.

When I design my characters, I make them capable of doing the content I like doing. That would be questing, world bosses, and occasional 4-person dungeons. I couldn’t care less if a run takes a few extra minutes because I prioritize fun and creativity over numbers games. My tank character has managed everything I’ve out him through from trials to vet DLC dungeons while still sticking to what’s in character for him. This game isn’t that hard. There is plenty of room to be both creative and effective if one stops obsessing about competitive gaming metas and replaces it with the RPer meta.
  • mague
    mague
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    With that said, I have always been intrigued by RP and the community... what I wonder is how do RP players actually approach the build of their characters? Are you using meta builds? Do you even care about the build? Do the skills and passives you choose matter to you or the RP community? Do the sets matter to you beyond the aesthetics? Do your RP characters also have to be viable in game for content, or does that not matter? etc.

Thanks in advance.

I do look to be powerful enough to do the content i want. Then from the best possible i substract the RP elements. My main is stamina and does not use soul shards. It is a druid/nature based Nord warden. Front bar is about bear and animals. Back bar about werewolf. This all is coming with some restrictions on power to favor RP flavor. I dont run group content with it, because i dont want to force my RP build on others gaming experience. But the main was in Cyrodiil as stam healer until the map was cleared. Not a perfect build, but good enough to carry its own weight.
    Edited by mague on November 5, 2019 6:40AM
  • Ithilis
    Ithilis
    ✭✭✭
    One of my characters is low-level sorcerer. Her goal is to learn Destruction magic and Daedric summoning. As I RP more, I unlock fitting skills, like summon clanfear. I mostly concentrate on the visual effects of the skill.
    Leader of Storytellers&Slavers RP guild PC EU
    Officer in Aetherius Art Housing guild PC EU
    Saxhleel - Power to the Hist
  • jircris11
    jircris11
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I spend a lit if time rping and pveing about 60/40 but my character is in NO WAY connected to the story. She is part if the militia that us fighting dragons, she is skilled with a blade and some shielding magics. But she is mortal thus she has mortal limits. She can't kill a dragon on her own, she can take on groups if smaller enemies, as she puts it "once one faces a giant flying lizard small enemies are easy"
    Edited by jircris11 on January 6, 2020 10:02AM
    IGN: Ki'rah
    Khajiit/Vampire
    DC/AD faction/NA server.
    RPer
  • AcadianPaladin
    AcadianPaladin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am aware of what is BiS, most effective, etc and work with those considerations unless they conflict my character's core characteristics that have been in place since 2007 (Oblivion > Skyrim > ESO). No matter how and where she manifests when in Tamriel, it is always as a Bosmer who will not use melee weapons. In previous ES games she was a mystic archer. In ESO she plays bow/bow archers and staff/staff mages.
    PC NA(no Steam), PvE, mostly solo
  • dazee
    dazee
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I will really not take a character in RP seriously who's build does not reflect what they RP as, since it shows the player does not even take their own character seriously enough to make even the most minor sacrifice for them.

it doesnt have to be 100% exact match for everything but if you RP a thief who uses daggers and sneaks around, dont be a templar with bright flashy abilities everywhere and bright shiny white and gold armor, stabbing your light spear around.

If you know how the game works you can easily make an "RP build" (the only way to build if you actually desire fun and a fantasy from the game) also an effective build.
    Playing your character the way your character should play is all that matters. Play as well as you can but never betray the character. Doing so would make playing an mmoRPG pointless.
  • WiseSky
    WiseSky
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Yeah I'm kinda the same, I seperate my PVE/PVP from my character totally if I am doing hard-core deep RP with other people.

However, sometimes I do like a skyrim-style Rp where I made a build- I actually made a 'roleplay build generator' as well!

(generator is pinned on my twitter) - https://twitter.com/soundsnotstr8

Its not pinned anymore ... can you pin it?
    @soundillustrations
    Immersive Quests Addon
    Wish to Quest without Quest Way Markers? ''Talk to the Hooded Figure'' Turns into ''Talk to the Hooded Figure, who is feeding the chickens near the southeastern gate in the city of Daggerfall in Glenumbra.'' If you Wish To write bread crumbs clues for quest for other players to experience come join the team!
    List of Immersion Addons
  • Silverwillow
    Silverwillow
    ✭✭✭
    I definitely build to my character's concept. I don't want to die every five seconds, so I build the best I can gameplay-wise, but if its a choice between stats and characterization, character comes first. Best recent example is my necro. By stats and lore Redguard is far from the first choice. But as soon as they announced the class, my Redguard necro's character created herself instantly.
    "Ours is not to reason why, ours is just to blame them afterward." -- Bob Varsha