Maintenance for the week of April 15:
• PC/Mac: No maintenance – April 15
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – April 16, 8:00AM EDT (12:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
In response to the ongoing issue, the North American PC/Mac megaserver is currently unavailable while we perform maintenance. https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656543/temporarily-taking-down-the-pts-the-pc-na-live-server

Aside from Kaalgrontiid, pvp in this game is dying

Legendzerox
Legendzerox
✭✭✭
The new server I thought would bring people to at least check it out, but I've never seen it higher than 1 bar across the board. Baaklohdaan is in a very similar state. I used to see 3 pop across the board. Will be lucky to see more than 2 bars now. A sad state of affairs.
  • MajBludd
    MajBludd
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It's been in the decline. Under 50 used to be full of players, a large majority were new players. Then it started to dry up. You'd see less and less new players and just the rerollers.
    So, when under 50 started dying that should have been a wake up call to dev's or somebody.

It's become stale, a neglected part of the game. The same thing over and over. The same groups, guilds, streamers, keeps, outposts, etc.

Pve gets new zones, trials, dungeons, etc to keep things fresh.
    What does cyro get? Bridges and gates that you can break and a hammer.
  • Qwazzy
    Qwazzy
    ✭✭✭✭
    A new pvp zone would be a breath of fresh air.
    Smallscale/Solo player on multiple servers

PC North America - Characters
    AD Sorcerer - PvP 16
    AD Templar - PvP 33
    AD Nightblade - PvP 17
    AD Dragonknight - PvP 19
    AD Necromancer - PvP 22
    EP Sorcerer - PvP 20
    EP Templar - PvP 21
    EP Nightblade - PvP 20
    DC Sorcerer - PvP 16
    DC Templar - PvP 24
    DC Nightblade - PvP 18
    Xbox North America - Characters
    AD Sorcerer - PvP 32
    AD Sorcerer - PvP 20
    AD Sorcerer - PvP 14
    AD Templar - PvP 41
    AD Templar - PvP 16
    AD Templar - PvP 14
    AD Warden - PvP 29
    AD Nightblade - PvP 27
    AD Dragonknight - PvP 18
    AD Necromancer - PvP 14
    Xbox Europe - Characters
    AD Sorcerer - PvP 42
    AD Templar - PvP 36
    EP Sorcerer - PvP 16
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    PvP has been in decline since the first month this game was out. Why people feel the need to create so many of these threads each week to state the obvious yet have nothing besides the obvious to mention is beyond my understanding.
  • Ackwalan
    Ackwalan
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    People are doing the new DLC and since the other campaign was already in progress, not many switched. Give it a little time.
  • VagabondAngel
    VagabondAngel
    ✭✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »
    PvP has been in decline since the first month this game was out. Why people feel the need to create so many of these threads each week to state the obvious yet have nothing besides the obvious to mention is beyond my understanding.
    Its like talking about the weather, futile but obsessively addictive. With PvP there is always, of course, the slim possibility that in talking about it, someone might actually give a crap and do something about it.

Yeah I know, better in the long run to just stop playing ESO altogether, its a microtransaction powered, cheap PvE content cardboard cuttout of itself now. Hope died long ago of it actually being the PvP game it was touted as. The best bait and switch scam I've seen tbh.
    ~ Níamh ~
    ~ Ebonheart Pact ~

~ SatGNU - PC - EU ~
  • Sylosi
    Sylosi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    RvR as a game mode fails in every game that tries it, it is simply fundamentally flawed in that it produces bad PvP in every aspect (fights, "winning" the match, "skilled" play, etc). Then add to that it is impossible to even vaguely balance a game like this and the performance on top of the flaws of Cyrodil and well...

PvP in MMORPGs (bar some very rare cases, and even then only for a limited time) is simply something for mucking about in now and again. Go play an actual PvP game where the entire focus is around PvP, where you have matchmaking, etc if you want actual fun, skilled PvP.
    Edited by Sylosi on October 23, 2019 12:49PM
  • probabkyravi
    probabkyravi
    ✭✭✭
    Its only been 2 days lol.

Everybody is in Southern Elsweyr or theory crafting or both, remember many PvE too so there's quite a bit of testing across the board.

Under 50 needs removed, both 30 day EU were locked at prime before monday.

NA doesn't really have a prime-time but all 3 vet servers were fun and populated when I was there earlier this year for a few months.

But yeah, PvP fine. Be patient for the update to settle.
    Edited by probabkyravi on October 23, 2019 11:36AM
  • Àdhamh_Creag
    Àdhamh_Creag
    ✭✭
    Let's not forget giving pvp buffs (scroll, keeps and emp) to the faction that already owns the map is absurd.
    If there is 3 bars of a faction and the others have a low pop bonus, the low pop bonus should be pvp buffs to fight the zergs not a reward for AP junkies
  • cheifsoap
    cheifsoap
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you telling me that actual pvpers like the faction locks? Who woulda thunk
  • Nirnroot420
    Nirnroot420
    ✭✭✭
    cheifsoap wrote: »

Nobody who understands consequences and cause and effect enjoys faction locks. Campaigns aren't being won for faction loyalists, campaigns are being won by which faction has the most guilds stacking it for that 30-day campaign. They can't switch sides, so they stay stacked the entire duration, creating situations like EP the first couple months after faction locks were put back on, and DC the last few.

It's not loyalists who decide victory or defeat over thirty days. It's which campaign has the most guilds stacked on it, and the guilds switch. If faction locks were removed, at least those guilds would have incentives to swap after painting the map one color so Cyrodiil doesn't stagnate for hours on end.
  • cheifsoap
    cheifsoap
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    cheifsoap wrote: »

Nobody who understands consequences and cause and effect enjoys faction locks. Campaigns aren't being won for faction loyalists, campaigns are being won by which faction has the most guilds stacking it for that 30-day campaign. They can't switch sides, so they stay stacked the entire duration, creating situations like EP the first couple months after faction locks were put back on, and DC the last few.

It's not loyalists who decide victory or defeat over thirty days. It's which campaign has the most guilds stacked on it, and the guilds switch. If faction locks were removed, at least those guilds would have incentives to swap after painting the map one color so Cyrodiil doesn't stagnate for hours on end.

Good thing there's a new campaign where those "not loyalists" can swap sides after painting the map. Amirite?
  • MajBludd
    MajBludd
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    The unlocked will be dead when everyone is trying to farm each other and not giving 2 *** about the objectives.

The ppl in the faction lock camp, that stay with their factions are the ones pushing the map, not the guys in the ress towers farming players.
  • Karivaa
    Karivaa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The good PVP players have left because of lag and Zos breaking the game.
  • dtsharples
    dtsharples
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The NonCP Campaign on EU PC is also completely full at primetime, which is at least somewhat encouraging.
    Thinking I might swap there next campaign, Kaal is so full of zerg monkey groups at the moment it's laggy af.
    The unlocked campaign has, as expected, been completely ignored and never gets above 1 bar in any faction.
  • olsborg
    olsborg
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kaal isnt any better rly. Its too laggy 80% of the time when its got sufficient action. Cyrodiil is withering away and has been for some time. Its a slow process, but its a fact.

PC EU
    PvP only
  • VagabondAngel
    VagabondAngel
    ✭✭✭✭
    Sylosi wrote: »
    RvR as a game mode fails in every game that tries it....
    Not true. AvAvA in ESO used to be awesome. Its not for nothing that the best pvpers ESO has had played in Cyrodiil almost exclusively for 3 years. Neglect and poor choices for combat changes have left it a shadow of its former self.
    ~ Níamh ~
    ~ Ebonheart Pact ~

~ SatGNU - PC - EU ~
  • Sylosi
    Sylosi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sylosi wrote: »
    RvR as a game mode fails in every game that tries it....
    Not true.

Wrong, it is absolutely true and Cyrodil is a fine example of that. When the game was new, the freshness of being a new game, plus high initial population papers over the cracks for a while, then like every other RvR game it fell apart because it is fundamentally flawed.

In particular it fails miserably at providing competitive gameplay, the result of which is largely low skilled, boring, trash tier "PvP" and a game mode where "winning" is considered worthless by anyone sane.

Basically RvR (especially outside its initial "honeymoon" phase) only appeals to players not interested in good or even vaguely decent PvP (or even fun PvP), which is a very limited playerbase.

Edited by Sylosi on November 5, 2019 11:33AM
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I peak in at the map in the new unlocked campaign, I generally see it all 1 color being flipped to another color. Back and forth. For all the people who want to balance population; I think there are more that just want to farm AP and emp, or just jump to the winning side for an easy carry.

That said; population does seem dwindled down. Last night on Kaal PC/US I think by the time DC hit a lock (and it was a soft lock) the other 2 factions had dropped to 3 bars. Kind of crazy when you think about EP uses to always have a queue.

Guess that's what happens when you hype performance improvements focus, and even though you temper expectations on the first pass ; its going to still blow up when performance seems worse than ever albeit different.
  • Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cyrodiil performance is worse than it’s been in years. Cyrodiil participation is consistently lower than is has been at any time since launch. These things are directly related.

Three times they’ve reduced population caps to try and improve performance. It didn’t give us a more stable game but it did give us a less dynamic map. With higher caps there was action on multiple fronts, and multiple large guilds on every faction. There were multiple hot spots at all times, and scrolls changing hands was a big deal because opposing factions had plenty of players to rally for defense. Now there’s an empty map with one Zerg on each side and a handful of trolly resource farmers, and pvdooring scrolls happens several times daily. And we still have lag and low fps.

And the new hammer mechanic just highlights and exacerbates the issues with Cyrodiil. It encourages faction stacking, which creates more lag, and it primarily benefits the faction who already has the pop advantage heightening the population imbalance issues.

I hope that zeni is successful in their 2020 Performance improvements and can stabilize Cyrodiil, then return to higher population caps.

Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
  • GhostofDatthaw
    GhostofDatthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I mean it's honestly incorrect to say even kaal is not dying. Lower population caps, rarely locked, mornings are now like 1-1-2 bars or something similar.

Compare that to say Morrowind or T1 and I think it's safe to say that kaal is for a fact dying also. Just a slower death
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    technohic wrote: »
    When I peak in at the map in the new unlocked campaign, I generally see it all 1 color being flipped to another color. Back and forth. For all the people who want to balance population; I think there are more that just want to farm AP and emp, or just jump to the winning side for an easy carry.

That said; population does seem dwindled down. Last night on Kaal PC/US I think by the time DC hit a lock (and it was a soft lock) the other 2 factions had dropped to 3 bars. Kind of crazy when you think about EP uses to always have a queue.

Guess that's what happens when you hype performance improvements focus, and even though you temper expectations on the first pass ; its going to still blow up when performance seems worse than ever albeit different.

When I've been on the new map, it's just been PVE'ers looking for geodes. So they flip a few keeps and are done.

Over on Kaal, the map is very dull because the factions move largely as one blob. There are one or two big fights on the map, and that's it.
  • Sarousse
    Sarousse
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    On EU server, every CP campaign is dieing slowly, even kraalgontiid is getting lower and lower in terms of population.

The last days/weeks have been very, very sad & boring in Cyrodiil.

Why ? Actual tank meta is the key. They nerfed dots, but not heals. I mean come on, it was purely intented by PvP devs.

So now, every troll/cancer group is playing the tank meta, while running in towers and killing pugs, even sometimes with the wonderful harmony trait for 20k+ synergies (you just can't defend against this, another great idea from the PvP designers).

Add to this that those cancer groups rarely fight each other, don't fight for the map (you can't really blame them as it's absolutely useless and not rewarding to fight for your faction in cyrodiil) => PU players are slowly disgusted from playing and just stop PvP or even the game.

Those groups are are supposed to be great PvP players but they don't seem to have enough insight to see that they are just slowly killing PvP and discouraging standard or new players to come fight in cyrodiil while doing so, every single day since Dragonhold is out. Kraalgontiid EU is slowly dying, and they'll soon have nothing to fight in cyro beside NPCs.

Factions have 2 bars at 11pm, It has never been like that before. At least not that long after a DLC release.

I didn't like the full dot meta, but at least PU groups were able to defend themselves, and pvp was very active and pops were locked.

The road to the next meta is far away, and will be long and boring.

I hope that you are aware of the PvP status, @ZOS_BrianWheeler . Even the bad performance isn't a matter right now because PvP is dying.
    Edited by Sarousse on November 7, 2019 11:17PM
  • killimandrosb16_ESO
    killimandrosb16_ESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Its a number of reasons, tank meta being only one of them. Add in the lag, which is goddamned awful and forces players to find other games, class changes made by a bulldozer forcing players to change playstyle every patch, a total bias towards templars and magsorcs forcing players playing other classes to change class or game if they wanna step outside the zerg and absolutely clueless developers hardforcing changes upon the pvp players always completely without regards or advice from anyone.
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It’s only really because of one reason - lag. It’s the reason people don’t stick around.
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • technohic
    technohic
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Iskiab wrote: »
    It’s only really because of one reason - lag. It’s the reason people don’t stick around.

I have to agree here. Its getting terrible for me lately as it has always been and I keep adjusting my build to things that are less effective or fun to handle lag.

My patience is wearing out as ot feels like they improved the issues of abilities sometimes not going off at all, to a constant ability and bar swapping delay. At some point I guess they expect me to single bar in Cyrodiil
  • Stridig
    Stridig
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's why I left Cyrodiil. Couldn't take it any longer.
    Enemy to many
    Friend to all
  • regime211
    regime211
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    idk wrote: »

That's a damn lie, the first month? Pvp started declining after 1 tamriel I can tell you're not a real Pvp'er.
    Edited by regime211 on November 14, 2019 1:18AM
  • Moonsorrow
    Moonsorrow
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Iskiab wrote: »

The bad performance is the big number one reason yes. It just feels often more frustrating to spend time at Cyrodiil than fun, when things not work and have like some say as a joke to play 1 bar build because cannot trust bar swap to work fast enough often, so have to have heals/cloak/shields and stuff on front bar often what makes the whole bar setup lame and have room for like 1 spammable and 1 delayed/dot/utility.. hard to use offensive and defensive bar when cannot swap between them fast enough.

And that same reason makes people build more tanky too, blowing up in a second is not fun when "big delay on skills again ffs sorry" is the most common thing you here on group discord. I feel bad for my team if i have to punch heal ulti like 5 times before it might actually trigger.

I even had to give up using Soul Siphon, that cast time it did get + the current lag, more frustration happens than actual healing so not using it anymore. Sad times.

2nd biggest reason for most pvp players i know that went to take breaks or quit is that they feel pvp class balance is being trolled totally with the ups and downs of class identity & strenghts to act as "pvp content" to make people jump into fotm play (switching to the top classes everytime change happens) instead of actual fresh pvp content.

Most small scale groups that are left play to farm at towers, farming puglings, until some coordinated group arrives and they then escape. Those people spend time on forum to ask things nerfed that would make their farming easier and faster. The people who get farmed spend time on forum asking things nerfed that kill them too fast. Then comes next patch full with big nerfs. "No one wanted these". Yes, yes they did - and always the same people.

It`s like watching the Dudesons vs Jackass crew trying to decide the fate of the world in a crisis.

Hi, i`m Moonsorr-O, welcome to Jackass
  • ThePedge
    ThePedge
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lag in Cyrodil, skills not going off or taking 3 seconds to go off. And that's in noCP. Dread to think what that CP garbage is like, that used to lag when noCP was fine.

Other options, Battlegrounds. 10 min queue to get put in a lobby that doesn't fill, says it will kick you out and never does, so need to take 20min penalty.

Performance and bugs are killing PvP, irrespective of meta.
    Edited by ThePedge on November 14, 2019 9:55AM
  • Karivaa
    Karivaa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ice talked to players who love ESO but just can’t play anymore due to the lag. Yes it is dying.