The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/
Maintenance for the week of April 22:
• PC/Mac: NA megaserver for maintenance – April 25, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 2:00PM EDT (18:00 UTC)
https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/8098811/#Comment_8098811

Please help! Can't play the game from laptop. Support is not helping (closed my ticket).

Dragonnord
Dragonnord
✭✭✭✭✭
✭✭✭
I opened ticket [Incident: 191016-001998] but Support closed it saying I do not meet game requirements.

I have been playing since ever from a MSI GE40 Core(TM) i7-4712MQ laptop with a Intel HD Graphics 4600 but also a Geforce GTX 850M dedicated graphic card.

From some weeks now the game started to run choppy, like when walking my character stops for a little bit, constantly, so I can't really play. It's very frustrating. It's not really lag, it's like intermittent walking, not smooth at all.

Before opening a ticket, some tips are given by support in the website, so (even when the game was running perfectly a few weeks ago), I still re-checked all and performed a lot of steps, even changing Windows version, reinstalling Windows, reinstalling the game, making sure video card settings are configured to use the dedicated graphic card for TESO (eso64.exe) at max performance, and other steps too, even CHECKED THE MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS for TESO.

Also run Game Consultant report (attached it to ticket) and EVERYTHING is OK. Every test and minimum requirements are passed.

TESO requires Windows 7+ and I have Windows 10.
TESO requires 4096MB and I have 8192MB RAM.
TESO requires DirectX 11.0 compliant video card with at least 1028MB Dedicated Memory and I have Direct 12.0 compliant video card with 2010 MB Dedicated Memory.

Also, steps I have done:

- Repaired the game client
- Reinstalled Windows 10 and so TESO
- Installed Windows 8 even (issue remained so went back to Windows 10 and reinstalled TESO again)
- Installed and updated to last Geforce GTX 850M drivers
- Checked minimum requirements are passed
- Configured settings so laptop uses Geforce GTX 850M for TESO and also at maximum performance
- Lowered in-game settings to minimum
- Removed ALL addons in game
- Run game consultant

HOWEVER, regardless everything I have done and that my laptop and video card pass every single game requirement, Support CLOSED MY TICKET.

This was not happening like 2 months ago. It started happening suddenly after one of the last patches.

On guilds and Discords I confirmed that other players are using the SAME EXACT video card with no issues at all, even playing at medium and high settings with the exact Geforce GTX 850M card.

Please help since Support (through ticketing system) is not helping at all.

Thank you.

Edited by Dragonnord on October 17, 2019 12:54PM
SERVER: NA | PLATFORM: PC | OS: Windows 10 | CLIENT: Steam | ESO PLUS: Yes
  • Dragonnord
    Dragonnord
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Anyone please? @ZOS_BillE

• Hippie4927
    Hippie4927
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Do you use addons? If so, are they updated?
    PC/NA/EP ✌️
  • unclesheosnephew
    unclesheosnephew
    ✭✭✭
    sounds like a motherboard/system that has ran too hot for too long and is on its last legs. Games like this were never meant to run continuously on a laptop.
  • Hippie4927
    Hippie4927
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    sounds like a motherboard/system that has ran too hot for too long and is on its last legs. Games like this were never meant to run continuously on a laptop.

I've been playing this game on my laptop for more than 5 years now and the one time I had the OP's issue, it was caused by an addon.

If you use your laptop on a decent cooling pad, this game runs fine.
    PC/NA/EP ✌️
  • Dragonnord
    Dragonnord
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Hippie4927 wrote: »
    Do you use addons? If so, are they updated?

I disabled all addons as I mention in the original post.

I have checked this too and it's not hot at all, it's not that I use the laptop ALL the time (it's my secondary computer). Heat it's perfectly normal and I play other games with no issues at all.

I'd like to repeat, that it started to happen right after a weekly patch.

• woufff
    woufff
    ✭✭✭✭
    When I'm travelling for work I use a 300$ Laptop and it runs just fine (lowest settings of course). Can be some conflict with W10 after update/patch
    PC/EU&NA - Redguard Nightblade - Grand Master Crafter - Explorer of Tamriel & Skyrim - Playing Starfield (and awaiting TES VI ^^)
  • Dragonnord
    Dragonnord
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    woufff wrote: »
    When I'm travelling for work I use a 300$ Laptop and it runs just fine (lowest settings of course). Can be some conflict with W10 after update/patch

As I put in the original post, I installed Windows 8, installed TESO after but issue remained.

• Dragonnord
    Dragonnord
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    @ZOS_BillE @ZOS_RikardD Please. I see you guys responding on other threads after mine and no one is helping me here yet.

• vamp_emily
    vamp_emily
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I had a problem a while ago. Short story "dog chased the cat, cat jumps on the desk and gets tangled in mouse cord then laptop ends up on the floor".

I think during the fall my hard drive got damagesd. I would log into ESO and it ran very choppy. I ended up switching ESO to my solid state drive and it is working fine now.

These are things I would check: ( I know the op checked some )
    - Laptop Temperature when game is up and running
    - I would remove all addons from the addon folder and place them in a temporary location.
    - i would reset the internet modem/router

If I thought it was my internet connection I would go to my parents or friends house to see if I have the same problem.

I know it is easy to blame eso but if your computer passed the compatibility test and ran fine before then I'm think maybe it might be something wrong with your computer. Sometimes things happen.

If you want a friend, get a dog.
    AW Rank: Grand Warlord 1 ( level 49)

• Kraezy
    Kraezy
    ✭✭✭
    Is the poor performance happening immediatley upon entering the game or deteriates over time?

Have you ran stress tests. GPU / CPU ?
    Ran a MEMtest ?
    /scandsk
    Boot to a selective startup and disable all non microsoft services (via MSCONFIG)
    Attach a DXDIAG report

IF you clearly think it's a patch issue then In all honesty you will get the same responses from Support until the issue becomes widespread. 1 end user with issues won't force them into investigating / re-evaluting the patch, sorry to say but I'm more than happy to take a look at you DXdiag report to see if there's any conflicts apparent.
  • Dragonnord
    Dragonnord
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    vamp_emily wrote: »
    I had a problem a while ago. Short story "dog chased the cat, cat jumps on the desk and gets tangled in mouse cord then laptop ends up on the floor".

I think during the fall my hard drive got damagesd. I would log into ESO and it ran very choppy. I ended up switching ESO to my solid state drive and it is working fine now.

These are things I would check: ( I know the op checked some )
    - Laptop Temperature when game is up and running
    - I would remove all addons from the addon folder and place them in a temporary location.
    - i would reset the internet modem/router

If I thought it was my internet connection I would go to my parents or friends house to see if I have the same problem.

I know it is easy to blame eso but if your computer passed the compatibility test and ran fine before then I'm think maybe it might be something wrong with your computer. Sometimes things happen.

Laptop temperature is completely normal, I removed all addons as already stated, and yes, I reset the modem dozens of times in two months already.

• Dragonnord
    Dragonnord
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Kraezy wrote: »
    Is the poor performance happening immediatley upon entering the game or deteriates over time?

Have you ran stress tests. GPU / CPU ?
    Ran a MEMtest ?
    /scandsk
    Boot to a selective startup and disable all non microsoft services (via MSCONFIG)
    Attach a DXDIAG report

IF you clearly think it's a patch issue then In all honesty you will get the same responses from Support until the issue becomes widespread. 1 end user with issues won't force them into investigating / re-evaluting the patch, sorry to say but I'm more than happy to take a look at you DXdiag report to see if there's any conflicts apparent.

Yes, immediately after a Monday maintenance/patch and the laptop is working perfectly with everything else. No GPU/CPU issues, no memory issues, no disk issues or so, since, as I mentioned too, I play other games with no problems at all, no lag, no low fps, no choppy performance, nothing.

It's only with TESO and only in the game, not even in the character selection screen where everything is really smooth.

• Ashtaris
    Ashtaris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Pfffffftttt! That’s simply not true. Most gaming laptops can hangle ESO just fine. I use a Alienware 17R4 when I’m out on the road and have no problem running the game.

To the OP, even though you said you have your laptop configured to use the Geforce card, it sure sounds like it’s still reverting back to the Intel chipset. Do you have your laptop plugged into the power brick when you are using it for ESO? Often times laptops will revert to the power saving internal chipset if they are not plugged in. Also, go into your power settings to make sure it’s set for maximum performance.

• Dragonnord
    Dragonnord
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Ashtaris wrote: »

Pfffffftttt! That’s simply not true. Most gaming laptops can hangle ESO just fine. I use a Alienware 17R4 when I’m out on the road and have no problem running the game.

To the OP, even though you said you have your laptop configured to use the Geforce card, it sure sounds like it’s still reverting back to the Intel chipset. Do you have your laptop plugged into the power brick when you are using it for ESO? Often times laptops will revert to the power saving internal chipset if they are not plugged in. Also, go into your power settings to make sure it’s set for maximum performance.

Yes, it's plugged to power and I made sure both the video card settings (eso64.exe file in nVidia settings) and the laptop energy settings are set for maximum performance.

As I mentioned, everything was going perfectly. I didn't touch, move or change anything. It was just after a patch.

• Ashtaris
    Ashtaris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Dragonnord wrote: »

Yes, it's plugged to power and I made sure both the video card settings (eso64.exe file in nVidia settings) and the laptop energy settings are set for maximum performance.

As I mentioned, everything was going perfectly. I didn't touch, move or change anything. It was just after a patch.

OK, try this. Go into your documents/Elder Scrolls Online/live folder and rename your Usersettings.txt file to something like Usersettings.org. Run the game and it will automatically recreate the Usersettings.txt file. See if you see any improvement running the game after that. Sometimes the Usersettings file gets corrupted and the easiest way to fix it is for the game to recreate the file.
  • Dragonnord
    Dragonnord
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

OK, try this. Go into your documents/Elder Scrolls Online/live folder and rename your Usersettings.txt file to something like Usersettings.org. Run the game and it will automatically recreate the Usersettings.txt file. See if you see any improvement running the game after that. Sometimes the Usersettings file gets corrupted and the easiest way to fix it is for the game to recreate the file.

Even after I re-installed Windows 10, then installed Windows 8, then went back Windows 10 again and so re-installed the game 3 times already and issue always remains?

• Ashtaris
    Ashtaris
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

Even after I re-installed Windows 10, then installed Windows 8, then went back Windows 10 again and so re-installed the game 3 times already and issue always remains?

Yep, I was just going to add to my post that it probably wouldn’t make much difference since you have re-installed most everything. Just to let you know, I had a old Asus laptop at one time with the 850M chipset and it ran ESO just fine. If I still had it, I would boot it up to see how it performs with the latest updates. It’s really weird that after all the reinstalls you have done the problem still persists. Any you say it runs other games just fine makes it even weirder :)

• Dragonnord
    Dragonnord
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    @ZOS_BillE @ZOS_RikardD Why I'm not getting help here? Why do you keep skipping my thread?

• Reverb
    Reverb
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your specs aren’t top, but plenty good enough to run ESO. My guess is that your issues are driver or network related.

What are your network specs? What nic do you have and are you using Ethernet or WiFi?

Are your video and network (or other) drivers significantly out of date? Alternately were they updated right before you started having these issues?
    Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you. ~Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Dragonnord
    Dragonnord
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Reverb wrote: »
    Your specs aren’t top, but plenty good enough to run ESO. My guess is that your issues are driver or network related.

What are your network specs? What nic do you have and are you using Ethernet or WiFi?

Are your video and network (or other) drivers significantly out of date? Alternately were they updated right before you started having these issues?

I know you are trying to help, but please read my OP. I have tried EVERYTHING and everything was and is perfectly fine. There is no issue with the laptop, video card, windows, network, etc.

I need ZOS to help me here.