Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Magdk pvp downside?

Gprime31
Gprime31
✭✭✭✭
All you magdk players, what are the disadvantages of playing a magdk in your opinion, been playing one for a couple weeks now and I don’t see any. We get 2 unblockable undodgeable CC, (fossilize and leap) the best class heal in the game, the ability to charge up flames of oblivion for 15k whips (out of combat at that) can stack in to speed so mobility is no problem, can use shadowrend for less damage taken, be nord for extra tankieness, use meditate for unlimited sustain( bashing it works maybe.. sometimes..bugged?) and all the dots. I like it. It’s my new main. Thoughts?
  • WillhelmBlack
    WillhelmBlack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Whilst you can go down the stacking ardent flame abilities and spell damage route and kill a lot of people 1 on 1. What most people miss about magicka dragonknight was being able to sustain through long fights and using expertly timed burst with Deep Breath, Power Lash and Ult.

Being able to charge into hords of players and locking them all down, playing the long game, getting kills the smart way whilst being able to block and soak a lot of damage. That was the pinnacle of ESO PvP IMO. If you'd played it back then it honestly does bring a tear to your eye how that just isn't possible anymore.
    Yeah you can make a useless tank that doesn't die even in this current DoT meta but that's not what mag DK was.
    Edited by WillhelmBlack on October 2, 2019 7:02PM
    PC EU
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Downside is no projectile absorption. You can cut damage in half but not a stun.
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • BlackMadara
    BlackMadara
    ✭✭✭✭
    You have a few misconceptions about the class.

Leap is blockable. Fossilize can only be used in melee range. Honor of the dead, not coagulating blood, is the best self heal in the game. It is almost 20% stronger. Other classes have better burst options, this is an objective fact. Using the same gear, almost all other classes have higher damage in lining up 3-4 burst skills at once. DK is better than other classes with DoTs. All other things you mentioned are outside of the class.

MDK doesn't have much agency in leaving fights. They do excel at being able to be offensive and defensive at the same time to compensate. The biggest hindrances are lack of in class kiting options and bar space imo. It is a strong class indeed. I do find that it excels at low skill vs low skill and high skill vs high skill play. The middle ground, you'll find can be difficult
  • zParallaxz
    zParallaxz
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gprime31 wrote: »
    All you magdk players, what are the disadvantages of playing a magdk in your opinion, been playing one for a couple weeks now and I don’t see any. We get 2 unblockable undodgeable CC, (fossilize and leap) the best class heal in the game, the ability to charge up flames of oblivion for 15k whips (out of combat at that) can stack in to speed so mobility is no problem, can use shadowrend for less damage taken, be nord for extra tankieness, use meditate for unlimited sustain( bashing it works maybe.. sometimes..bugged?) and all the dots. I like it. It’s my new main. Thoughts?

Yeah your definitely doing none of that in high level solo pvp. Magdk excels in 1v1s in targeted scenarios, anything else besides that it can be put done by another class. I definitely had a laugh when you said they had the best heal in the game. I don’t mean to come off like a jerk but do you really think it’s better than matriarch heal, breath of life, and warden class heal.
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    zParallaxz wrote: »
    Gprime31 wrote: »

Yeah your definitely doing none of that in high level solo pvp. Magdk excels in 1v1s in targeted scenarios, anything else besides that it can be put done by another class. I definitely had a laugh when you said they had the best heal in the game. I don’t mean to come off like a jerk but do you really think it’s better than matriarch heal, breath of life, and warden class heal.

You should log on PTS and keep up with changes before laughing someone off. The fist is much improved, while matriarch and breath of life will get a higher tooltip the self healing on the fist is better because of major vitality. Downside is you need a target, add in the stamina return from the earthen heart line and for a pvp healer it’s debatable which one is best.
    Edited by Iskiab on October 4, 2019 5:16PM
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • Lazarus_Rising
    Lazarus_Rising
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Whilst you can go down the stacking ardent flame abilities and spell damage route and kill a lot of people 1 on 1. What most people miss about magicka dragonknight was being able to sustain through long fights and using expertly timed burst with Deep Breath, Power Lash and Ult.

Being able to charge into hords of players and locking them all down, playing the long game, getting kills the smart way whilst being able to block and soak a lot of damage. That was the pinnacle of ESO PvP IMO. If you'd played it back then it honestly does bring a tear to your eye how that just isn't possible anymore.
    Yeah you can make a useless tank that doesn't die even in this current DoT meta but that's not what mag DK was.

Do you think this is balanced then?
    also known as Overlich.
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭

Sounds ridiculous to me. Thing is when a class starts OP people play that class because of its OPness and it sets expectations.

DKs are the tanky class and it’s likely here to stay. The more defense gets nerfed the better it looks to me, solid class choice. Once the nerflings are done asking for nerfs to everything that gives any sort of defense or healing playing a DK becomes a no-brainer.
    Edited by Iskiab on October 5, 2019 10:45PM
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • WillhelmBlack
    WillhelmBlack
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭

DK was over nerfed because it did look ridiculous tbh tanking hords of zerglings, mostly down to dynamic Ult gen and Sorcs were still able to Streak for eternity, NB could/can be permanently invisible and Sap tank for days, Templar were just as tanky as DK, whereas now they are far superior in terms of survivability in PvP.

There was flavour and all 4 classes were very different from each other. Good times.
    PC EU
  • mursie
    mursie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    take your mDK main into bg's for a bit and play some DM's. not 1 or 2, but 20 or 30 - so that you can experience matches against players that regularly play bg's.

then come back and let me hear about all of your mDK benefits. I can't wait.
    twitch.tv/mursieftw
    twitter: @mursieftw
  • casparian
    casparian
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    mursie wrote: »
    take your mDK main into bg's for a bit and play some DM's. not 1 or 2, but 20 or 30 - so that you can experience matches against players that regularly play bg's.

then come back and let me hear about all of your mDK benefits. I can't wait.
    I went up against you in a BG yesterday on my stamplar. You killed me a couple times when I let myself run completely out of resources fighting other players, and then you showed up and I couldn't get away from your roots. I'm an experienced enough player to know that's stupid and not to let myself run completely to zero (and yet I do it anyway sometimes because derp), but plenty of BG players aren't that careful. For players like that, running into a decent magDK can feel like an impossible proposition.

Of course, for players like that, running up against a decent player on virtually any class can feel like an impossible proposition, so I'm not sure why mDK in particular gets singled out.
    7-day PVP campaign regular 2016-2019, Flawless Conqueror. MagDK/stamplar/stamwarden/mageblade. Requiem, Legend, Knights of Daggerfall. Currently retired from the wars; waiting on performance improvements.
  • NBrookus
    NBrookus
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Duplicate. Sounds like someone has an agenda.

https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/comment/6375436
  • khajiitNPC
    khajiitNPC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Loving my mDK, PvP wise it has great sustain, great damage — even before the buff to single target DoTs. So after the next PTS it should still perform relatively the same when they get toned down. Excels 1 on 1. Even in light armor it hits decent resists. Healing is on point. Group play it’s a monster.
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    khajiitNPC wrote: »
    Loving my mDK, PvP wise it has great sustain, great damage — even before the buff to single target DoTs. So after the next PTS it should still perform relatively the same when they get toned down. Excels 1 on 1. Even in light armor it hits decent resists. Healing is on point. Group play it’s a monster.

I have a question for you. I have a DK I rerolled from stam to mag and am a little worried about sustain. PTS costs are up for some key abilities.

When you say sustain is good what are you using as a sustain set? I’m thinking either desert rose or shalks but am not sure, and don’t want to have to find out the hard way that it’s too much or not enough after spending the crystals.
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • khajiitNPC
    khajiitNPC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I’m running all light armor, 1 infused necklace spell damage, 2 max mag with recovery — ideally I’d be a Breton, but I strictly play Khajiit. I have two sets I alternate between jorvuld’s guidance and daedric trickery w/Engine Guardian, or BSW and Overwhelming Surge with engine guardian. Both sets on a Khajiit and I don’t ever feel like I’m ever OoM. With the changes to force siphon, I slot the siphon spirit morph for minor mag steal and minor health steal. Also I run max food. Between all that and resource return from ultimate, I sit very comfortably. Awesome utility for group as well. Does great 1v1 or 1vPotatoes.
  • GhostofDatthaw
    GhostofDatthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    People say it's a Templar meta, it's a low key magdk meta
  • Bdawwg
    Bdawwg
    ✭✭✭
    what skills are you all running for the MagDk set up and would you recommend heavy armour?
  • raasdal
    raasdal
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Mobility
    PC - EU
    Gromag Gro-Molag - Sorcerer - EP
    Dexion Velus - Dragonknight - AD
    Chalaux Erissa - Nightblade - AD
    Firiel Erissa - Templar - AD
  • BaiterOfZergs
    BaiterOfZergs
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely a Templar meta but Magdk is right behind them in power, it’s just not as simple to play magdk.
    Zerg of House Smallscale, First of his name, wielder of Volendrung, battleground hero, Cyrodiil butcher, the swifft footed, OG of the Templars and first pvpers, defender of scrolls and baiter of zergs.
  • khajiitNPC
    khajiitNPC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree — mDK is super strong in good hands. I have a very cheesy mDK build that I didn’t even list because I feel so dirty even putting it out there. Goes toe to toe with Templars no problem.
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    I agree — mDK is super strong in good hands. I have a very cheesy mDK build that I didn’t even list because I feel so dirty even putting it out there. Goes toe to toe with Templars no problem.

Desert rose and mist form? Yea, might have problems if mDKs get popular. Might still be really good if every mag goes lightning.
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • Koensol
    Koensol
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    My only gripe with magdk as a class is a lack of reliable hots. Cauterize is a burst heal every 5 sec, burning embers takes 8 seconds, the rest is all burst heals apart from cinder storm which isnt viable. I love running double destro on DK, but tbh even having a resto staff doesn't cut it on magdk in this cancerous dot meta. Otherwise the class seems in a good place.
  • BNOC
    BNOC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The only downside is mobility that you have to either run Vamp or RAT to compensate for.

MagDk's in 1v1's have surely been the strongest class since about 2005. Shadowrend for minor maim and free damage, OS for even more free damage that's constantly up and then whatever other set they want to go down the full glass cannon, sustain or mitigation routes.

Against anyone without snare immunity (which is an unbelievable amount of people) MagDk is king, I watch people without it get packed up all day - The exception is if you're on a tanky build and want to play the resource game (massive yawn)

In a stacked group where they can be confident they don't need so much mobility it's SO strong.

If you can play it away from it's mobility weakness (Or run RAT) you'll bang.
    vMSA - Magplar - Xbox EU - 15/11/16
    578,000 - 36 Minutes 58 Seconds (Top 2 World?)

vMSA - Magplar - Xbox NA
    569,000 - 40 minutes (350CP, Non optimised runs)
  • BlackMadara
    BlackMadara
    ✭✭✭✭
    @Iskiab You can approach sustain in a few ways, and I suggest using multiple instead of stacking into one category.

I don't suggest shalk for sustain. You get 46 resource per ult point, shalk gives 0.67 ult/second, so that's equal to 61 recovery (per 2 seconds). Blood spawn is a good option, with max 2.33 ult/second, so 215 recovery if ult dropped on cd. Base ult gen is equal to 184 recovery.

A source of minor magicka steal is extremely useful. 300 mag/second, so 600 recovery. Another potentially useful skill is meditate.

Applying burning gives 500 magicka back. Using a destro staff, charged weapon, or both, could yield a nice amount of magicka, although it's up to chance. Theorically, a destro staff using 2 fire dots, a fire enchant, and whip should yield an average of 200 recovery.

Cost reduction is nice due to high cost utility skills. Breton or certain sets. I don't suggest stacking into raw mag recovery, due to not having any passives that increase that stat. You can however, and still find success. Other sets that give bursts of resource can work if played around.

Heavy attacks with destro staves are a bit too slow for reliable recovery. Resto staves give a larger amount of magicka, however, and can be combined with hots to prevent being burst down.

Overall, I try to combine all of my sources of recovery to hit at least 2000 theoretically. My stat page mag recovery is 900. I have adjusted my playstyle to accommodate this low stat recovery with the other means of magicka gain I listed above.

@Bdawwg Building tanky in light is better than building damage in heavy. The only real reasons to go heavy are for off stat return, in this case stamina, and increased healing.

For magDK, you get enough stamina return with the helping hands passive and battle roar, depending on playstyle of course. If building for block, heavy is good

MagDK also has a variety of means to heal in combat. From flame lash, burning embers, inhale, as offensive examples, to coag blood and cauterize as defensive examples, there are plenty of means to heal.

Overall, MagDK has options of play that can be quite successful without devoting raw stats. This is what people mean by saying that a well played and built DK is extremely strong.

• Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    @Iskiab You can approach sustain in a few ways, and I suggest using multiple instead of stacking into one category.

I don't suggest shalk for sustain. You get 46 resource per ult point, shalk gives 0.67 ult/second, so that's equal to 61 recovery (per 2 seconds). Blood spawn is a good option, with max 2.33 ult/second, so 215 recovery if ult dropped on cd. Base ult gen is equal to 184 recovery.

A source of minor magicka steal is extremely useful. 300 mag/second, so 600 recovery. Another potentially useful skill is meditate.

Applying burning gives 500 magicka back. Using a destro staff, charged weapon, or both, could yield a nice amount of magicka, although it's up to chance. Theorically, a destro staff using 2 fire dots, a fire enchant, and whip should yield an average of 200 recovery.

Cost reduction is nice due to high cost utility skills. Breton or certain sets. I don't suggest stacking into raw mag recovery, due to not having any passives that increase that stat. You can however, and still find success. Other sets that give bursts of resource can work if played around.

Heavy attacks with destro staves are a bit too slow for reliable recovery. Resto staves give a larger amount of magicka, however, and can be combined with hots to prevent being burst down.

Overall, I try to combine all of my sources of recovery to hit at least 2000 theoretically. My stat page mag recovery is 900. I have adjusted my playstyle to accommodate this low stat recovery with the other means of magicka gain I listed above.

@Bdawwg Building tanky in light is better than building damage in heavy. The only real reasons to go heavy are for off stat return, in this case stamina, and increased healing.

For magDK, you get enough stamina return with the helping hands passive and battle roar, depending on playstyle of course. If building for block, heavy is good

MagDK also has a variety of means to heal in combat. From flame lash, burning embers, inhale, as offensive examples, to coag blood and cauterize as defensive examples, there are plenty of means to heal.

Overall, MagDK has options of play that can be quite successful without devoting raw stats. This is what people mean by saying that a well played and built DK is extremely strong.

@BlackMadara

That’s really interesting. All my favourite build tactics are coming from a magblade and it sounds like DKs are totally different and I’ll need to adapt more than I thought.

My thinking as a pvp healer was to use the DW BRP MH Nirn and OH decisive to increase my Ult gain for sustain. Jorvlund as my main set, shalk only on my back bar or not using a monster set. That way every cast of blade cloak will also give major protection along with evasion, with the duration extended by jorvlund.

Another wacky option I was thinking about is the master’s sword and board instead and using puncture too to add minor protection on top of everything else. It depends on how many shards I can spam to keep my stamina up to use stamina abilities. I also really like Symbiosis to get around melee range on stamina weapons, but still benefit from the much higher weapon damage, since it turns all light attacks into ranged heals.... but it does rule out an effective heavy attack for sustain.

I’m thinking jorvlund is a no-brainer as a DK pvp healer. What would you recommend to add on top of that? Willpower and weapon sets, since willpower is getting a buff, 2x 5 piece sets or something different? Using Symbiosis means heavy attacking with a resto staff is unavailable unfortunately.

Oh another thing, I’ve been using bloodspawn on almost all my builds because it looks great on paper. I’ve been going through CMX and it looks like it only has a 20-30% uptime, it’s hard to get an accurate read since the % uptime on CMX is tied to how long you’re in combat and cyrodiil can be buggy with keeping you in combat. The range I found on CMX was 6-30%.
    Edited by Iskiab on October 14, 2019 5:13PM
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • Akinos
    Akinos
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Koensol wrote: »
    My only gripe with magdk as a class is a lack of reliable hots. Cauterize is a burst heal every 5 sec, burning embers takes 8 seconds, the rest is all burst heals apart from cinder storm which isnt viable. I love running double destro on DK, but tbh even having a resto staff doesn't cut it on magdk in this cancerous dot meta. Otherwise the class seems in a good place.

You can force the burning embers heal by hitting a target you already hit with burning embers.
    PC NA | @AkinosPvP 1vX/Small Scaler, Raid Leader, Youtuber and Twitch.tv Streamer.MAGICKA MELEE IS LIFE!Magplar, MagDK, Magden, Magblade, Magsorc & Magcro PvP/Build videos & moretwitch.tv/akinospvp
  • NekoN3ko
    NekoN3ko
    ✭✭✭
    If I had 1 complaint it would be sustain otherwise it's all good even with the constant nerfing.
  • Koensol
    Koensol
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    Akinos wrote: »
    Koensol wrote: »

You can force the burning embers heal by hitting a target you already hit with burning embers.
    Still doesn't make it a HoT. Only good HoT magdk has is from flame lash, but imo molten whip is simply needed if you want any form of burst on magdk.
    Edited by Koensol on October 15, 2019 6:18AM
  • BlackMadara
    BlackMadara
    ✭✭✭✭
    Iskiab wrote: »

@BlackMadara

That’s really interesting. All my favourite build tactics are coming from a magblade and it sounds like DKs are totally different and I’ll need to adapt more than I thought.

My thinking as a pvp healer was to use the DW BRP MH Nirn and OH decisive to increase my Ult gain for sustain. Jorvlund as my main set, shalk only on my back bar or not using a monster set. That way every cast of blade cloak will also give major protection along with evasion, with the duration extended by jorvlund.

Another wacky option I was thinking about is the master’s sword and board instead and using puncture too to add minor protection on top of everything else. It depends on how many shards I can spam to keep my stamina up to use stamina abilities. I also really like Symbiosis to get around melee range on stamina weapons, but still benefit from the much higher weapon damage, since it turns all light attacks into ranged heals.... but it does rule out an effective heavy attack for sustain.

I’m thinking jorvlund is a no-brainer as a DK pvp healer. What would you recommend to add on top of that? Willpower and weapon sets, since willpower is getting a buff, 2x 5 piece sets or something different? Using Symbiosis means heavy attacking with a resto staff is unavailable unfortunately.

Oh another thing, I’ve been using bloodspawn on almost all my builds because it looks great on paper. I’ve been going through CMX and it looks like it only has a 20-30% uptime, it’s hard to get an accurate read since the % uptime on CMX is tied to how long you’re in combat and cyrodiil can be buggy with keeping you in combat. The range I found on CMX was 6-30%.

I don't have any experience in the healer role, but I can try to make some suggestions.

I'm pretty sure having shalk on backbar would mean you only get the ult when on backbar. It isn't an effective back bar set. As for bloodspawn, I'd assume you aren't in the thick of combat, where bloodspawn really shines. Being hit by multiple attacks will keep a high uptime on the proc.

I'm not sure why you are using Jorvlund. What buffs are you looking to keep up? If you do want to keep using that set, I suggest Naga Shaman. It Grant's minor mending and vitality on shield cast, for which use fragmented shield for major mending. These types of buffs are best used with HoTs. Used in conjunction with radiating regen will mean very strong HoT power for a group. Tbh, Naga is a very strong set for DK in general if one wants to use HoTs, take full advantage of healing multipliers, and stay in light armor.
  • GhostofDatthaw
    GhostofDatthaw
    ✭✭✭✭✭

Definitely a Templar meta but Magdk is right behind them in power, it’s just not as simple to play magdk.

Idk man, I play both and they are pretty similar. The big thing is at least in the magdk v magplar 1v1 is, is 1 vamp? And who is the aggressor, magplar can get stuck in that perpetual breakfree, bol, purge, purge, buff, break free, bol, yada yada yada. But magplar can be the aggressor. I learned this from magnb mirror the one who gets on the defensive first loses
  • gepe87
    gepe87
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I played a bit magDK and i found a bit hard to counter dots, especially stamDK poisons
    Gepe, Dunmer MagSorc Pact Grand Overlord | Gaepe, Bosmer MagSorc Dominion General

If you see edits on my replies: typos. English isn't my main language