The Gold Road Chapter – which includes the Scribing system – and Update 42 is now available to test on the PTS! You can read the latest patch notes here: https://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/en/discussion/656454/

Help - It says I don't have the room...

jluchau
jluchau
✭✭✭
So, I had updated to beta catalina and am now trying to get the game working again, I deleted the old launcher as suggested and logged into my account to download the new launcher. It's wanting to download the entire game... which, honestly, i'm fine with, accept the installer is saying I don't have room when I clearly do. Any ideas?

8is61g0ldmdi.png
  • Carmina
    Carmina
    ✭✭✭
    Well, tbh this question is kinda useless, because the error message says it all. You have to free up space on your hard drive, 80GB to be safe.

C.
  • FierceSam
    FierceSam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Just say yes.

It won't install the game again, it will just install the new installer.

(for developers: obviously there should be some sort of check to see if the game is actually already installed, but obv this use case - people with the game needing to update only the installer - was never considered when developing/updating the installer. This is poor.)
  • FierceSam
    FierceSam
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Carmina wrote: »
    Well, tbh this question is kinda useless, because the error message says it all. You have to free up space on your hard drive, 80GB to be safe.

C.

No you don't. The error message is incorrect/wrong/misleading. You don't need to have 80Gb free hard disc space if you already have the game installed.

So for people who have already updated to Carolina and have the game installed, this will only install the launcher.

People who haven't yet updated to Carolina shouldn't have to worry because their launcher should already have been updated to the new, 64-bit one.

Updating it was a fairly painless experience for me. Hopefully it's the same for everyone.

Now we can get back to having fun in game :)
  • jluchau
    jluchau
    ✭✭✭
    Carmina wrote: »

C.

Accept, if you look at the entire picture, at the bottom you will see that I have 131 gb free...
  • jluchau
    jluchau
    ✭✭✭
    FierceSam wrote: »
    Just say yes.

It won't install the game again, it will just install the new installer.

(for developers: obviously there should be some sort of check to see if the game is actually already installed, but obv this use case - people with the game needing to update only the installer - was never considered when developing/updating the installer. This is poor.)

I tried this, so then the launcher installs, and then the launcher tries to update the game and I get an error saying I don't have enough memory. So it won't patch the game.

• jluchau
    jluchau
    ✭✭✭
    FierceSam wrote: »

Updating it was a fairly painless experience for me. Hopefully it's the same for everyone.

Now we can get back to having fun in game :)

Sadly it hasn't been painless for me... I have followed the instructions from the admin's post, and if I just hit yes from the above screen it does install the launcher, then the launcher attempt to install the game fore me and tells me I don't have enough room... I'm not sure what to do now.
  • jluchau
    jluchau
    ✭✭✭
    So, yes, the launcher installs, but then the game tries to patch. I get this warning... i've cleared off as much space I as I can...fnj4681mobpe.png
    5o89apl0xlcm.png
  • ZOS_Bill
    ZOS_Bill
    admin
    Macintosh HD and Finder are both known for over-reporting the amount of free disk space due to the local Time Machine backup. These backup files actually don't get counted against your hard drive space, increasing the amount of "free" space that you're seeing.

To get an accurate measure of remaining free space, try running a Mac OS X System Report and see what that reports back with.
    1. Click on the Apple in the upper-left corner of your screen
    2. Select the "About this Mac" option
    3. Click "System Report"
    4. Navigate to the Hardware section
    5. Select the Storage option
    6. Look for the Hard Drive that you are Using and look for the amount of free space remaining
    The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited - ZeniMax Online Studios
    Forum Rules | Code of Conduct | Terms of Service | Home Page | Help Site
    Staff Post
  • vgabor
    vgabor
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    in terminal:

showing hard drive usage for each partition:
    $ df -h

removing local time machine snapshots (that lot of 9's is just a really big number, need something bigger than the capacity of your hd):
    $ tmutil thinlocalsnapshots / 99999999999999999999999999999 4

Edit: For a fresh ESO install you need actually double the required 80G, once for the download and once again for the installer to unpack and install. Same for upgrades as well, but since they are much smaller you usually don't notice that it temporary uses twice the update size.
    Edited by vgabor on October 10, 2019 10:44PM
  • jluchau
    jluchau
    ✭✭✭
    Cleared some more room and finally got it to work. Thanks for the help @ZOS_BillE and @vgabor .