Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

All out offence best for No Cp?

Appo
Appo
✭✭✭
Is it best to go all out offence in no cp or to incorperate a defensive set too?
  • NoodleESO
    NoodleESO
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    defense, sustain, and damage pretty much in that order.
  • Vapirko
    Vapirko
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not really but it depends on your class and skill level. Personally I’d build for sustain and defense if you’re just getting into no CP. You don’t need a lot to kill in no CP. Light or medium armor should provide plenty of punch. When I dabble in no CP or go through a no CP phase it’s usually on my Stamplar and I usually just run brass and bone pirates with infused weapon jewelry enchants. That’s 4K weapon damage or more and most people just melt. I find though that if I go in with mag sorc, my usual setup of shackle breaker and bright throat works just fine.
  • ChunkyCat
    ChunkyCat
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    In No CP, glass cannons always win the race to the respawn point.
  • magictucktuck
    magictucktuck
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    like everyone else pointed out going glass cannon makes it so you still cant kill the tanky guys, but they kill you in 2 hits now. not that would wouldnt kill anyone but you will have a bad time the higher mmr you get.
    PC-NA

Necromancer

Flawless Conqueror

https://www.magictucktuck.com for my builds and guides!
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    In No-CP you can kill glass canon builds with just light attacks. Heck as a healer I’ve won 1v3s vs them.

Build for speed, some defense and good self healing. Kiting and evasion is the best defense. If you’re doing BGs than everything that’s not part of your burst combo should be aoe, a buff, debuff or a heal.
    Edited by Iskiab on October 6, 2019 3:23PM
    Looking for any guildies I used to play with:
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
    LoC EQ2 - Mayi and Iskiab
    Condemned and Tabula Rasa - Rift - Iskiab
    Or anyone else I used to play games with in guilds I’ve forgotten
  • BaiterOfZergs
    BaiterOfZergs
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Think the answers are pretty vague because it depends on different things. All offense sets for one doesn’t necessarily equate to glass cannon , thinking that is a good way to end up dead. The same way all sustain sets doesn’t equate to having no damage. That’s looking at things in a vacuum.

Now if you want to do either theory crafting, class and your skill level will play a role on how successful you’ll be. The former tends to be lacking a lot these days even though there’s a lot more flexible options now.
    Zerg of House Smallscale, First of his name, wielder of Volendrung, battleground hero, Cyrodiil butcher, the swifft footed, OG of the Templars and first pvpers, defender of scrolls and baiter of zergs.
  • BNOC
    BNOC
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you're a strong player in general, or very good at your class then glass cannon is by far the best.
    Although a mix of a damage set with a sustain & damage set is very good.

Think, Bright Throat (sustain and damage) with Crafty Alfiq(Pure Damage) and Valkyn Skoria(Pure Damage) for example.

If you're not as experienced then build for the others first as you'll mostly find players built the same way.
    vMSA - Magplar - Xbox EU - 15/11/16
    578,000 - 36 Minutes 58 Seconds (Top 2 World?)

vMSA - Magplar - Xbox NA
    569,000 - 40 minutes (350CP, Non optimised runs)
  • Waffennacht
    Waffennacht
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    More than likely not wanna go pure offense.

I've had all offensive builds do well - problems arise when facing an organized group as you probably won't be able to focus down a single player - if you get out positioned/numbered you're dead.

Usually better to have a better more survivability to deal with positions and LoS
    Gamer tag: DasPanzerKat NA Xbox One
    1300+ CP
    Battleground PvP'er

Waffennacht' Builds
  • Goregrinder
    Goregrinder
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    It depends. I think it still works for NB because they can avoid damage via stealth, and build around dodge rolling sets (Eternal Hunt, Senche, etc). They can "avoid damage" by not being target able, so they can run glass canon builds and just slot BS or Pirate Skele if needed. But for stam classes that can't use stealth as damage mitigation, I would say it may be more difficult since part of your build HAS to include a way to deal with burst damage or tons of dot pressure.

• Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    It depends. I think it still works for NB because they can avoid damage via stealth, and build around dodge rolling sets (Eternal Hunt, Senche, etc). They can "avoid damage" by not being target able, so they can run glass canon builds and just slot BS or Pirate Skele if needed. But for stam classes that can't use stealth as damage mitigation, I would say it may be more difficult since part of your build HAS to include a way to deal with burst damage or tons of dot pressure.

That won’t work. OP mentioned no-CP where sustain’s more of an issue, so that rules out relying on dodge rolling a lot.

I’ve seen people wreck others in beginner BGs relying on cloak a lot in starter BGs, when you run against more experienced opponents who know what you’re trying to do builds like that are free AP.

I ran up against one of the best Stamblades who was trying out the game again after a break, forgot his name. Anyways as a magblade healer I know exactly how to counter these specs (back bar BRP destro and elemental ring) and he was getting wholloped. I didn’t see him again and think he rage quit right afterwards.

I’ve also seen teams of NBs in a premade trying the same tactic and gang ganking people. They didn’t get over 100 points in that death match.

Cloak is easily the most overrated ability in the game. It’s just most people are too new or lazy to counter it which isn’t an issue against experienced players. In terms of defense I’d actually say streak and mist form are better, they’re just harder to use offensively.
    Edited by Iskiab on October 8, 2019 3:20AM
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • UrbanMonk
    UrbanMonk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agree with Defence > Sustain>Offence. As a glass canon, you will mostly respawning a lot.
    Urban.Monk

-Monk I- Magden- ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
    -Tsürügi- MagBlade- ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
    -Bantam Bomber- MagPlar- AVA28
    -Hot Nöödle- MagDK - AVA37
    -Pablo Necrobar- StamCro- AVA24

youtube.com/c/UrbanMonkGaming
    Easiest mDK for vMA and vVH- https://youtu.be/dUxQO1FO1XQ

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
    Balance for the Sake of Balance is no Balance at all.
  • mursie
    mursie
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    yes -

with a bit of defense. and sustain.
    twitch.tv/mursieftw
    twitter: @mursieftw
  • HowlKimchi
    HowlKimchi
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Depends on player skill. Newer players should invest in over-sustaining and defense initially, then trade it for more offense as you get better with your class and with pvp mechanics. crit resist should always be more than 2000-2500 though.
    previously @HaruKamui but I outgrew my weeb phase (probably)

PC/NA - EP - Howl Beoulve/Howl Kimchi
  • Nevasca
    Nevasca
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Usually one set for each: 1 atk 1 def, and monster set is personal. Example: Pariah+Skoria+BSW for mdk.

Some classes can get away without sustain sets but use sustain race+jewelry, some need sustain really bad. Also depends on playstyle.

I personally don't like playing glass cannon unless I am in a group. If you have a healer with transmutation you will hardly get one shot. Although StamSorc can get away with it due to their speed, their "defense" is sustain to maintain pressure+self heals, using los and so on. NBs are a meme but sustain is also their defense since they can rely on cloak/dodges, but you can play more tanky with dark cloak and a defensive set if you want.
    Edited by Nevasca on October 8, 2019 4:14PM
  • Hexquisite
    Hexquisite
    ✭✭✭✭
    Most pre mades in BGs PC/NA are running all out insane damage, and they communicate and target one person at a time, unless you can get LOS no matter how much defense you have you are not going to live--they kill peopleso fast sustain isn't an issue.. However because they are running no defence, glass canons if you can LOS and get one to stray from thei pack, you can take that one out quickly, and hopefully another one follows, etc.

If you are lucky and solo que and never get pre mades, I think you have a lot more room for a balanced build. When I solo que I always get insane pre mades, which has made me have to approach BGs differently than in the past.
    PC NA
    ~Ethereal Traders Union~
    ~Spicy Economics~
    ~Tropic Thunder~
    ~Us Ghosts~

• Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Hexquisite wrote: »
    Most pre mades in BGs PC/NA are running all out insane damage, and they communicate and target one person at a time, unless you can get LOS no matter how much defense you have you are not going to live--they kill peopleso fast sustain isn't an issue.. However because they are running no defence, glass canons if you can LOS and get one to stray from thei pack, you can take that one out quickly, and hopefully another one follows, etc.

If you are lucky and solo que and never get pre mades, I think you have a lot more room for a balanced build. When I solo que I always get insane pre mades, which has made me have to approach BGs differently than in the past.

Are you sure they’re running all out damage? When people assist or focus one person they drop fast, running all offense seems like an unnecessary risk. You could counter them with a couple people using aoe burst.

I’ve definitely noticed more people using group pvp tactics in BGs. It used to be people did BGs in dueling specs and some people thought healers were a negative for your team.

I think the pure solo style is struggling in BGs right now. Like you said people die fast, getting caught solo vs multiple opponents will usually mean a death. The hilarious part is it was solo players who asked for defensive nerfs, nerfs that are killing their playstyle.
    Edited by Iskiab on October 8, 2019 9:02PM
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • Hexquisite
    Hexquisite
    ✭✭✭✭
    Iskiab wrote: »
    Hexquisite wrote: »

Are you sure they’re running all out damage? When people assist or focus one person they drop fast, running all offense seems like an unnecessary risk. You could counter them with a couple people using aoe burst.

I’ve definitely noticed more people using group pvp tactics in BGs. It used to be people did BGs in dueling specs and some people thought healers were a negative for your team.

I think the pure solo style is struggling in BGs right now. Like you said people die fast, getting caught solo vs multiple opponents will usually mean a death. The hilarious part is it was solo players who asked for defensive nerfs, nerfs that are killing their playstyle.

Yes because when I run with my normal premade we run all pure damage, and hang out in my ER, with LOS behind the poles on a platform. And I know other people who run all damage in their premades, which are primarily made up of ranged damage and dot builds. It could just be my experience though. I haven't taken any newer characters in BGS in a while.
    PC NA
    ~Ethereal Traders Union~
    ~Spicy Economics~
    ~Tropic Thunder~
    ~Us Ghosts~

• WacArnold
    WacArnold
    ✭✭✭
    I have had best luck with sustain being number 1. Then damage and speed, speed being my defense along with sustain.
    Xbox One - North American - Ebonheart Pact
    Anti-Pop Lv 50 Magicka Nightblade Dark Elf
    WacArnold Lv 50 Magicka Templar Argonian
  • Luede
    Luede
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sustain > DMG > Defence (medium Armor 5/2). With sustain u are able to avoid enough DMG, so u need less Def Sets. I like this playstyle, but u have little room for errors.
    Edited by Luede on October 10, 2019 2:10PM
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Luede wrote: »
    Sustain > DMG > Defence (medium Armor 5/2). With sustain u are able to avoid enough DMG, so u need less Def Sets. I like this playstyle, but u have little room for errors.

Agreed, this is the current meta. Issue is moreso the meta requires a lot of transmutation stones so is very new player unfriendly.

Defense was good but all the best sources have been nerfed, but some things like Nord are still good.
    Edited by Iskiab on October 10, 2019 2:28PM
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair
  • Solariken
    Solariken
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    Depends on class for sure. For some I use pure damage, only getting sustain boost from food and passives/skills. Hitting hard is, in a way, a form of damage mitigation since keeping your for on defense means you don't take damage.

Usually the slower classes have to be built more balanced and build for group synergy. I prefer speedier builds in general though mostly due to the constant dogpiling in bg's and the need to disengage.

• Flame_of_Hades
    Flame_of_Hades
    ✭✭✭
    Sustain is ALWAYS first for me, even in cp environments... mostly because if I have the sustain to cast one more heal for 5-6k, thats better than taking 100 less damage per hit... and if you don't have the sustain to fight back AFTER surviving a burst, what was the point in surviving the burst...

I would definitely go Sustain <-- Damage <-- Mobility (snare immunity is a must), but I would leave Mobility up to your abilities instead of sets.

For example, I am currently maining a Bosmer magblade with bright throats and spell strat, (monster set is negotiable, but normally ends up being shadowrend, even for open world), and I also have the atro mundus...

This means that my stamina is covered by my race, sustain is covered by my monster set, bright throats, and my mundus, and damage is covered by bright throats and spell strat. On top of this, I have full tri-enchants in order to increase my health and stamina, with my abilities setup to give me an increase for my sustain... syphoning attacks, Incap (rend passive), mag steal, and if im dueling, ill throw on degeneration instead of RAT for MORE sustain...
  • Iskiab
    Iskiab
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭
    Yea, bosmer’s underrated. Dodge roll passive is whatever for mag classes, but the stamina regen’s good.

I’ve been trying it as a sorc and it’s good. It avoids using amber plasm for stamina sustain so I can use dark exchange more. I don’t know if it’s amazing but good, altmer has a good stamina passive too so might be better.
    Havoc Warhammer - Alair