Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] Xbox: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• [COMPLETE] PlayStation®: NA and EU megaservers for patch maintenance – March 26, 6:00AM EDT (10:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)
• ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Video Micro Freezes - any suggestions on things to try?

Pyr0xyrecuprotite
Pyr0xyrecuprotite
✭✭✭✭✭
This issue has been going on for a while - past couple of months, I think, but I can't pin it down to a specific patch or update. It might well not be an ESO issue, but it's obviously most visible there because I spend most of my PC time playing ESO. The main symptoms are:
  • video freezes for half a second or so, especially obvious if panning the camera or turning.
  • usually no more than once a minute at first, but slightly longer and more often the longer I play.
  • symptoms get worse the longer the computer is on, even if ESO is not being played initially - but it's only noticeable in ESO of course, not email or text apps.
  • a shutdown and power off is required to reset the issue; a reboot without powering off is insufficient. I usually have to do this every three hours or so.
The last symptom points at some sort of video card problem, rather than overheating or similar. I did have to get my cooling fan replaced a few months ago after the old one died, and had to replace some system RAM, so there was some hardware work done on the system before this problem started. I'm using an NVidia GEForce GTX 970 with latest drivers, 4GB video ram; 16GB system RAM; "12GB total available graphics memory". Yes, the system is a bit over four years old, but it uses an SSD hard disk so is pretty fast booting up. That said, I'm guessing it might be hard to put another low-heat video card into the same systemboard, due to how bus speeds etc. change every two years. I have tried changing video settings in-game, but with no effect so far.

Any thoughts or suggestions on what to try out? (PS: PC/NA, Windows 10 home, 64-bit; 1980x1024 resolution, ESO is played full-screen).
Edited by Pyr0xyrecuprotite on September 23, 2019 2:37AM
  • idk
    idk
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    With graphics freezing the first thought is the GPU. If you are not monitoring your GPU I suggest you start. I happen to use MSI Afterburner to both monitor and control my GPU fan speed.

However, being that the problem is getting worse with time and you have to restart to correct the issue I am also thinking a memory leak issue could be pushing the issue to some degree. There has been an issue with a memory leak in game and addons can also contribute to this. For the game a restart of the game is required. For addons it is usually fixed with a reloadui.

I would suggest a tech support ticket. Especially if reloadui or a restart of the game does not rectify the situation. FYI, Zos does not support addons so you would probably be asked to disable them.
  • Tulare_Verlaris
    Tulare_Verlaris
    ✭✭✭
    OP check out "Intelligent Standbyb List Cleaner", just Google it and download it from Wagnardsoft. It could also be related to certain Windows 10 builds. Make sure you have the very latest one or do more research into that as well. That also improved things for me.

It is likely not just ESO, it wasn't for me I was getting those annoying microstutters in quite a few games including Fist Person Shooters. It didn't 100% solve it, but it greatly improved it.

It should not be too technical to sort, quite easy!
    Still in the queue, spamming "F"...
  • Pyr0xyrecuprotite
    Pyr0xyrecuprotite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    OP check out "Intelligent Standbyb List Cleaner", just Google it and download it from Wagnardsoft. It could also be related to certain Windows 10 builds. Make sure you have the very latest one or do more research into that as well. That also improved things for me.

It is likely not just ESO, it wasn't for me I was getting those annoying microstutters in quite a few games including Fist Person Shooters. It didn't 100% solve it, but it greatly improved it.

It should not be too technical to sort, quite easy!

Thanks for the suggestion, @Tulare_Verlaris . I tried this and it does not appear to make any difference for me. I suspect it's more of a video memory problem, so I'll try test another program if I can find something appropriate. FYI, I also tried playing with all my addons disabled, and it's surprisingly difficult!!
  • blee88
    blee88
    ✭✭
    Hey man. I have been dealing with the same issues and it's terrible. I have tried many things without any results. I used to play on Windows 7, an old i5 4430, 16 gigs of ram (not sure clock speed), with a GTX 760. Sure sometimes the frames dropped to 30 in trials or in busy cities, the stutters that I am having now though are much worse. It can happen in an housing instance all by myself. Especially noticeable when you hit ESC and the camera zooms in to your character quickly. Even sometimes scrolling through the inventory. I can deal with ability audits and build changes, but if this problem isn't resolved in Dragonhold patch I will be spending my time on other games. The last 2 weeks I have spent all my "gaming" time trying to fix this.

MSI X570 GAMING PLUS mobo
    Ryzen 3600
    RX 5700
    16GB ram @3600mhz
    Windows 10.

Not even playing in 4k or anything crazy this is all in 1080p.

I'll try to list the things I've tried already but I am most likely going to forget a few.

Disabling HPET in Windows. Turning off SMT for my Ryzen CPU. Downloading a privacy tweaker for Windows 10. Loading the game with 0 addons. Renaming the user settings .ini and starting with a fresh default. All the user settings tweaks that are known, like SET GpuSmoothingFrames. Selective startup without any extra services on Windows. Disabled all audio devices and drivers except USB interface. I will edit this if I can think of any other things but nothing has helped.

For me it has nothing to do with length of time the client has been opened. Right upon loading the game acts this way.

Edited by blee88 on September 29, 2019 3:50PM
  • ebix_
    ebix_
    ✭✭✭✭
    this game has serious memory leak issue and you can't do anything about it sometimes but I tried something and it worked for me ... I had this same issue but only in combat, and like you it starts fine and gets worse as you play more so I had to restart client.. sometimes fps was dropping to 10 with lowest settings ..
    one day I turned action duration reminder off and it was sooooo much better..
    you might also want to give it a try if you have that addon .
  • Pyr0xyrecuprotite
    Pyr0xyrecuprotite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ugh... it would be so hard to play without ADR :(
  • Kraezy
    Kraezy
    ✭✭✭
    @Pyr0xyrecuprotite

Reduced polling rate on mouse to 125hz (or at least it's native rate) ?
  • Alinhbo_Tyaka
    Alinhbo_Tyaka
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've run into a case where the game will stutter every 10 seconds or so. The cause was not the game but was related to a script or similar running in my minimized web browser. By killing the web browser I would resolve the issue in the game.
  • Pyr0xyrecuprotite
    Pyr0xyrecuprotite
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Kraezy wrote: »
    @Pyr0xyrecuprotite

I don't think this is possible to adjust with my Microsoft optical mouse. Not sure how it would affect a suspected video memory leak tho. I did check into the driver settings, and there is nothing much that can be changed under Windows 10.
  • Kraezy
    Kraezy
    ✭✭✭
    Kraezy wrote: »
    @Pyr0xyrecuprotite

I don't think this is possible to adjust with my Microsoft optical mouse. Not sure how it would affect a suspected video memory leak tho. I did check into the driver settings, and there is nothing much that can be changed under Windows 10.

Essentially...
    • video freezes for half a second or so, especially obvious if panning the camera or turning.

Whilst your original post does indicate a leak the above could be a sympton of a desync between your mouse / OS / Monitor and commonly paired with the systems inability to cope with the rate at which the mouse polls causing hitching / stuttering. Normally this would be changed with mouse software as you hadn't previously mentioned your mouse, seeing as you're using a generic Windows Optical Mouse is shouldn't heed any issue but you can always double check using this software.

26663d1485953233t-there-way-change-mouse-polling-rate-bf7swnq.jpg

Without repeating @Tulare_Verlaris 's suggestion regarding an active memory cache' clearing tool or creating a windows reoccuring event to repeat every 5-10 mins to clear it, if it is indeed a memory leak. Only way of telling is to sit idle somewhere non strenuous and monitor task manager (or use a program Process Lasso) to monitor the memory usage/build.

Failing that, ensure you're not using GeForce Experience (uninstall the damn thing!) and optimise the game yourself, a clash of profiles can cause stability/performance issue's. Instead use NvidiaProfileInspector and set the following;

Frame Rate Limiter: (2 FPS below your Refresh Rate, 58 / 98 / 118 / 142) - Ensure you're using the v2 on the list.
    Max Pre-rendered Frames: 1
    Force VSync: Off
    Texture Filtering - Quality: High Performance
    Power Management Mode: Prefer Maximum Performance

Reduce any Overclocks back to Stock
    Clear Temp files manually or use CC Cleaner