Maintenance for the week of March 25:
• [COMPLETE] ESO Store and Account System for maintenance – March 28, 9:00AM EDT (13:00 UTC) - 12:00PM EDT (16:00 UTC)

Lighting Help- Psijic Villa

January1171
January1171
✭✭✭✭✭
I have decided to use my Psijic Villa as my achievement home. Part of that is displaying all of the undaunted busts and trophies in the main hall (trophies hanging on the wall, busts on pedestals/ledges right beneath them)

My problem is the lighting. I am having trouble finding lighting furnishings that don't leave the busts and trophies with huge amounts of shadowing.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks so much! :)
  • Aelorin
    Aelorin
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am not really sure what you want, but overall it is effective to place a lighting source in the trophy. For example a simple candle. If you need more inspiration and are on EU, visit my villa.
    And so the Elder Scrolls foretold.You will be shy, and I will be bold.
  • Delphinia
    Delphinia
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I feel like the best lighting (well, that cast the most light) are: Culanda Stone, Glowing and Varla Stone, Glowing. Depending on how much light you want, or hue these might be a good choice. I have found though at times, they emit almost too much light and I have to really sink them into furnishings or flooring to reduce the glare.
  • Minyassa
    Minyassa
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭✭✭
    I like the light the dwarven lighting furnishings give. Nice and bright without being overly tinted one shade or another, good light area, not glaring.
  • sueblue
    sueblue
    ✭✭✭✭
    Clockwork Illuminator, Solitary Capsule is my favorite bright light in the game. It gives off a soft white/warm light.

Daedric Brazier, Table is a great choice for a firey light source since it's the only brazier that doesn't cause that glaring fuzz.

Hope this helps!
    Edited by sueblue on October 9, 2019 11:07PM
    Awake/Asleep, I dream.
  • markulrich1966
    markulrich1966
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    the problem with the villa is, that it is so large, that normal lamps like candles or even braziers just lighten up very small areas.

As a result, you will have strong, dark shadows, as there is not much ambient light that would soften the shadows.

I attach a picture where you do not see such dark shadows, as I simulated ambient light with some culanda stones.

I think I used 4 or 6, do not remember exactly, centered in a line from the entrance to the staircase, you can see the last one floating above the arcway.

My intention was to build a mausoleum to remember someone, but it looked like a creepy dark crypt initially. Using ambient light and sound (water from fountains = symbol of life in many cultures) the room now reminds us that the death is just a step to "the next level" (like sovngard in Skyrim or heaven in christian culture). Candles, coffin and statue still remind us of the sadness of the loss in our current world.

1rkcbwk4phdo.png
    Edited by markulrich1966 on October 10, 2019 1:56PM
  • katanagirl1
    katanagirl1
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    ✭✭
    I initially used Daedric Chandelier, Ritual in the large central room because they are supposed to give off a lot of light. I put 2 of the long thin Clockwork surplus pieces (Scavenged Support, Straight) together as downrods from the roof so the chandelier was about the height of the upper level balcony. Unfortunately, most of the light from the Daedric chandelier is directed upward to the ceiling and doesn’t illuminate much of the lower part of the room.

I don’t like lights hanging mysteriously in air unsupported. The alignment of those 3 pieces took me about an hour in the housing editor without a snap-to function. At least I can link them now.

Placing sconces along the columns on the lower level and on both sides helps too.
    Khajiit Stamblade
    Dark Elf Magsorc
    Redguard Stamina Dragonknight
    Orc Stamplar PVP
    Breton Magsorc PVP

PS5 NA

• dtsharples
    dtsharples
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe you could make something interesting with the lighting, so that it's not only functional but pretty to look at too.

Themed lighting, like Golden Redguard Chandeliers above, Candlesticks at the bases & Canister Lanterns on the Walls.
    Possibly even add in some Redguard Censers for some smoky atmosphere too.

Or maybe floating magical candles, like in Hogwarts.

• Pink_E_808
    Pink_E_808
    ✭✭✭✭
    Replica dreamshards. I put that $#!+ in everything 😄